Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 05:11:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363082 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2950 on: June 23, 2020, 06:40:10 PM »

Elizabeth Warren got a DNA test after Trump double dog dared her to, but sure Kamala is the one who has bad political instincts...

Let's be honest the Republican will attack Warren over the Native Americans thing far more than they would attack Harris prosecutorial record. Republicans and especially not Trump of all people are going to attack Harris on criminal justice form the left.

Actually, I think he will try that. But it will come across as the phony, contradictory opportunism that it is.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2951 on: June 23, 2020, 07:16:22 PM »

Elizabeth Warren got a DNA test after Trump double dog dared her to, but sure Kamala is the one who has bad political instincts...

Let's be honest the Republican will attack Warren over the Native Americans thing far more than they would attack Harris prosecutorial record. Republicans and especially not Trump of all people are going to attack Harris on criminal justice form the left.

Actually, I think he will try that. But it will come across as the phony, contradictory opportunism that it is.

Again its Trump the worst I see him doing is calling her a cop or Copamala. And like many people said there are many things Harris can brag about from her record. Compare that to Warren whose accomplishment will likely be overshadowed by Trump constantly saying Pocahontas, asking what was her Native American name, or performing the racist Native American war cry for the next 100+ days.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2952 on: June 23, 2020, 08:26:56 PM »

Every tues we have serious election problems and every tues I weep that Stacy is not taken more seriously
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #2953 on: June 23, 2020, 09:09:04 PM »

Every tues we have serious election problems and every tues I weep that Stacy is not taken more seriously

Why should Stacy Abrams be taken seriously?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2954 on: June 23, 2020, 09:13:29 PM »

Which is why her campaign did so much better than Warren's. Wait...
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2955 on: June 23, 2020, 09:31:47 PM »

You and this flawed annoying talking point..........again Roll Eyes.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2956 on: June 23, 2020, 09:52:49 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2020, 09:59:02 PM by #Joemala2020 »

You and this flawed annoying talking point..........again Roll Eyes.
A 70 year old WW who pretended to be Native American for decades is not going to be chosen in this moment of racial reckoning. Even if Kamala doesn't get chosen she can run again or not. It's curtains for Liz. Let them seethe.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2957 on: June 23, 2020, 09:55:12 PM »

Why should she not?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2958 on: June 23, 2020, 09:57:33 PM »

Let's be honest the Republican will attack Warren over the Native Americans thing far more than they would attack Harris prosecutorial record. Republicans and especially not Trump of all people are going to attack Harris on criminal justice from the left.

It wouldn't be from the left, necessarily: it could just go as follows:
> Muh corrupt Dems
> "Innocent men being put away" + #metoo Dems = Kavanaugh culture war effort #329
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #2959 on: June 23, 2020, 09:58:30 PM »

I think Warren or Duckworth are the two best possible choices he could go with
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #2960 on: June 23, 2020, 10:13:07 PM »

Why should she not?

By that logic, why should I not be considered seriously by Biden when choosing his running mate?

Proving a negative is an impossible standard. I'm asking why should Stacey Abrams be taken more seriously?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #2961 on: June 23, 2020, 11:20:10 PM »

LOL at the comments of this tweet who say that Harris is worse than Palin.
I'm starting to believe that Harris Derangement Syndrome is a thing.

And I'm starting to believe that Twitter is not real life
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #2962 on: June 24, 2020, 12:26:07 AM »

Porque no los dos?
politics_king
United States

« Reply #2963 on: June 24, 2020, 12:42:11 AM »

It's funny reading everyone bicker around here. The VP pick seems to have become a proxy war in the party.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #2964 on: June 24, 2020, 02:10:29 AM »

It's funny reading everyone bicker around here. The VP pick seems to have become a proxy war in the party.

It's been like this before.  While Biden seems like an obvious choice in hindsight, there was considerable intraparty debate in 2008 that Obama should pick Hillary.  As it turned out he had another job in mind for her.

2016 was not quite as contentious, but I remember the talk about how Hillary should choose Warren to satisfy Sanders supporters.  I believe she would have selected Sherrod Brown if there had not been a Republican Governor in Ohio.

Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2965 on: June 24, 2020, 03:04:21 AM »

Two articles on Harris, one in Politico and the other an interview in A.P.  Both cover a mix of her leading the Democratic response to the GOP's police "reform" bill and her vice presidential prospects.

The California Democrat tore into a GOP proposal from Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) as inadequate before he even finished writing it. She coordinated with former 2020 rival Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) on a letter rejecting the GOP’s approach on the floor. And she tangled with a senior Republican on the Senate floor over Democrats’ opposition to even debating the GOP bill, producing a moment that went viral on the left.

While Harris and her party were pummeled by the right after they went public with their opposition to even beginning floor debate on the GOP’s bill, their position is backed in the civil rights community.  “The black community is tired of the lip service,” said Ben Crump, the prominent civil rights attorney who is representing George Floyd’s family.

Crump said he wants to see a black woman picked as Biden’s No. 2, and Harris’ resolve in the Senate on police reform has only solidified his opinion of her.

“Kamala would be an outstanding vice president,” he said. “She has the right temperament. She has the sensitivity to listen when necessary, but to lead when it is required on issues that matter.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/23/kamala-harris-gop-police-336150

AP: A lot of voices in your party have begun to say Biden needs to have a Black woman on the ticket. Do you think that is what is necessary to kind of rise to the occasion of this moment?

HARRIS: I will tell you and I say this with all sincerity and candor: I want Joe Biden to pick whoever is going to help him win. Period. He has to win. There is too much at stake in our country right now. Donald Trump has been a failure as a president on almost every level. He came into office trying to sow hate and division among us. He has been dishonest with the American people tens of thousands of times. He has failed to lead on the greatest public health crisis and therefore economic crisis we’ve seen in generations, where he was in abject denial and then basically tried to muzzle the health care experts and mislead the American people. We need a president of the United States who has in their DNA the ability and the desire to lift up the condition and the spirit of the American people. And I know Joe Biden can do that, and he needs to win.
https://apnews.com/6f0196db1d2e7fc390968dbba268a16e

politics_king
United States

« Reply #2966 on: June 24, 2020, 03:21:10 AM »

It's been like this before.  While Biden seems like an obvious choice in hindsight, there was considerable intraparty debate in 2008 that Obama should pick Hillary.  As it turned out he had another job in mind for her.

2016 was not quite as contentious, but I remember the talk about how Hillary should choose Warren to satisfy Sanders supporters.  I believe she would have selected Sherrod Brown if there had not been a Republican Governor in Ohio.

I just see it as the Clinton crowd is for Harris, the Sanders/Labor movement crowd is for Warren and the Obama crowd is for Rice. When I mean crowd I mean the donors in the Party.

KLB seems.to be getting a nice raise in profile but no one thinks she's ready to be VP,  for some reason I think with her being Chair of the Platform, Biden might want her as Chief of Staff.

Demings is a hard one to put my finger on other than Pelosi wants a House member on the ticket, so I guess her donor base.

I'm curious where Harry Reid's donor base is at since Cortez Masto is out, but I think they're grooming her to be the successor to Schumer as Senate Leader.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2967 on: June 24, 2020, 03:31:46 AM »

I just see it as the Clinton crowd is for Harris, the Sanders/Labor movement crowd is for Warren and the Obama crowd is for Rice. When I mean crowd I mean the donors in the Party.

Obama would probably prefer Duckworth overall but out of the current frontrunners I bet he supports Harris.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2968 on: June 24, 2020, 03:34:34 AM »

KLB seems.to be getting a nice raise in profile but no one thinks she's ready to be VP,  for some reason I think with her being Chair of the Platform, Biden might want her as Chief of Staff.

Demings is a hard one to put my finger on other than Pelosi wants a House member on the ticket, so I guess her donor base.

I'm curious where Harry Reid's donor base is at since Cortez Masto is out, but I think they're grooming her to be the successor to Schumer as Senate Leader.

My theory is one reason why Cortez Masto dropped out is she prefers the Senate leadership path.  Choosing to head the DSCC is a glamour-less job but can pay dividends when you want to get into the Senate leadership and/or choice committee assignments.  Patty Murray took this path -- she headed the DSCC some time ago and is now in the Senate leadership.

Schumer, Durbin and Murray are all in their late 60s and early 70s, so there certainly is time for the 56 year-old Cortez Masto to climb the leadership ranks.

Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #2969 on: June 24, 2020, 04:05:42 AM »

She is 2nd on Chris Cillizza's Top 10.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/18/politics/biden-vp-harris-demings-lance-bottoms-warren-vice-president/index.html
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2970 on: June 24, 2020, 04:59:29 AM »

I'm not reallly on any side, except "if someone throws out serious accusations at others, they shouldn't act like a little bitch and should back them up or apologize when they get called out for it"
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2971 on: June 24, 2020, 05:09:47 AM »

Veeps don't have any real power. It is persuasive power. They break ties in the Senate and preside over Senate when their party is in the majority in the Senate and negotiate with their Majority Leader, like Pence is doing. If the party is in the minority in the Senate, the Veep mostly have staffers help minority Leader in Senate, while the do Veep duties, like Biden did once McConnell took the Senate.  The rest of the time, Veep does trade deals with China, UK, NAFTA and Israel
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #2972 on: June 24, 2020, 05:10:28 AM »

Oh god this is embarrassing. Please just pick Duckworth
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2973 on: June 24, 2020, 05:30:47 AM »

Oh god this is embarrassing. Please just pick Duckworth

what is embarrassing about it? it was a debate. what is she supposed to say? after 2008 and 2016, people need to stop taking tiffs in debates so seriously later on
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2974 on: June 24, 2020, 05:44:49 AM »

It'll be Harris or Demmings.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies