Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 12:12:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 116 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362845 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2750 on: June 20, 2020, 01:32:07 PM »

i really don't get why it's not Duckworth, i really don't see the downside to her from like, any angle

True.  Not a ton of upside with Duckworth, but just about literally no downside.  That's honestly the best you can probably get.

but she was like, a helicopter pilot who lost her legs fighting for her country, that's pretty impressive. that would really stick it to all the ppl who say Democrats aren't patriotic and sh**t

It's certainly helpful and she's the best pick when only considering do-no-harm grounds, but the (positive) electoral effect of being a veteran is greatly overstated for Democratic GE candidates. The current president likes people who weren't captured, and I'm sure he also likes people who weren't injured.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2751 on: June 20, 2020, 01:36:36 PM »

If I were a betting man which I’m not, I would bet it’s rice. She’s literally the definition of simpatico with Biden
Good thing you're not a bettor because you would lose all your money on this one lol.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2752 on: June 20, 2020, 01:51:57 PM »

i really don't get why it's not Duckworth, i really don't see the downside to her from like, any angle

True.  Not a ton of upside with Duckworth, but just about literally no downside.  That's honestly the best you can probably get.

but she was like, a helicopter pilot who lost her legs fighting for her country, that's pretty impressive. that would really stick it to all the ppl who say Democrats aren't patriotic and sh**t

It's a compelling biography, but probably doesn't significantly expand turnout or cause undecideds to vote for Biden.  But like I said, I don't think anyone really does that, and at least it doesn't hurt.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2753 on: June 20, 2020, 02:11:13 PM »

Honestly all this knife-fighting between Team Warren and Team Harris just makes me want Duckworth even more.  The KHive is really obnoxious.  I feel like they'll get a lot of unwelcome attention if Harris is the nominee.  Duckworth fits with the Biden strategy perfectly.  Net positive, no risks, easy win.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2754 on: June 20, 2020, 02:13:36 PM »

Honestly all this knife-fighting between Team Warren and Team Harris just makes me want Duckworth even more.  The KHive is really obnoxious.  I feel like they'll get a lot of unwelcome attention if Harris is the nominee.  Duckworth fits with the Biden strategy perfectly.  Net positive, no risks, easy win.
Exactly!
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2755 on: June 20, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »

Do you think she's higher in the veepstakes than people think?  It just almost seems like they're overthinking her (which would be political malpractice), but we of course don't really know how Team Biden sees the short list.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2756 on: June 20, 2020, 03:01:11 PM »

There was that article about Duckworth and workplace retaliation. The problem with Duckworth is she hasn't been vetted on a national stage and much like with Demings, all of her dirty laundry would instantly be aired out.

With Harris, most of it's on the table already
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2757 on: June 20, 2020, 03:18:27 PM »

Are there any articles, instances, or historical moments where Duckworth and Biden visibly cooperated or achieved things together? Theres plenty about Kamala and Biden from this cycle, and Demmings was too local of a candidate for her and Biden to really overlap until now. This isn't an attack, I'm more curious since both have had long careers. For instance Duckworth spoke at the 2008 DNC and was part of the Illinois cadre Obama depended on even before she got a district drawn for her. Her time in the House then overlaps with Biden being president of the senate, and Duckworth was recruited to run at a time when Biden presided and potentially was still potentially making moves for a 2016 run (she entered IL-Sen in March 2015).

Why I ask this is because Biden's relationship with his VP and their ability to think on the same wavelength is a characteristic just as important as what they bring to the ticket. It may not be a coin-toss, but there is a comparatively high chance Biden will end up passing the reigns to the first female president sometime during his potential stint in office, and that person needs to be able to pick up the reigns and keep working with most of the Biden team.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #2758 on: June 20, 2020, 05:09:22 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2020, 05:12:27 PM by Ogre Mage »

Are there any articles, instances, or historical moments where Duckworth and Biden visibly cooperated or achieved things together? Theres plenty about Kamala and Biden from this cycle, and Demmings was too local of a candidate for her and Biden to really overlap until now. This isn't an attack, I'm more curious since both have had long careers. For instance Duckworth spoke at the 2008 DNC and was part of the Illinois cadre Obama depended on even before she got a district drawn for her. Her time in the House then overlaps with Biden being president of the senate, and Duckworth was recruited to run at a time when Biden presided and potentially was still potentially making moves for a 2016 run (she entered IL-Sen in March 2015).

Why I ask this is because Biden's relationship with his VP and their ability to think on the same wavelength is a characteristic just as important as what they bring to the ticket. It may not be a coin-toss, but there is a comparatively high chance Biden will end up passing the reigns to the first female president sometime during his potential stint in office, and that person needs to be able to pick up the reigns and keep working with most of the Biden team.

Biden and Duckworth recently wrote an editorial together about the rise in hate attacks on Asian-Americans in the wake of the coronavirus.  But historically during her congressional career I did not find anything.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-s-encouragement-racism-against-asian-americans-affront-all-americans-ncna1215121

It might have been different if Duckworth's time as U.S. Senator overlapped with Biden's Vice Presidency (since he oversaw that chamber).  I think one advantage Harris has is she and Biden go way back.  Then-Attorney Generals Harris and Beau Biden formed a close bond as they collaborated during the Great Recession foreclosure crisis and other problems.  So the former Vice President knew a lot about her previous work.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2759 on: June 20, 2020, 05:20:58 PM »

K-Hive isn’t doxing people and wishing rape on their dissenters like Bernie Bros. Stop trying to make fetch happen. They’re simply making the case for their candidate and responding to the deluded claim that Warren is “better” for the Black community when she has absolutely zero receipts of being an advocate or an ally. It is absurd.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2760 on: June 20, 2020, 08:03:42 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2020, 08:10:39 PM by ATTACK AND DETHRONE GOD »

UPDATE: After hearing that "progressive darling" Elizabeth Warren endorsed Hickenlooper, I've decided Kamala is now my #1 preference for VP.

Sure, Kamala endorsed Hick too, but Kamala at least got behind him early instead of endorsing him when a progressive primary challenger had momentum. I can overlook Sexism-gate. I can overlook her not dropping out before Super Tuesday. I can't and won't overlook this.

The Bernie Borg was right. Warren's not a progressive - she's a ****ing snake. And if I've got a choice between two people with fluid political stances, I'm taking the ambitious grinder over the Machiavellian snake.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2761 on: June 20, 2020, 08:46:07 PM »

Why isn’t the symbolism of Baldwin versus Mike Pence talked about? I know it’s not ideal because she is White and there’s the special election thing, but I feel like she should be talked about more
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2762 on: June 20, 2020, 08:48:05 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2020, 08:54:21 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Why isn’t the symbolism of Baldwin versus Mike Pence talked about? I know it’s not ideal because she is White and there’s the special election thing, but I feel like she should be talked about more

It's the special election thing. Baldwin has gotten serious (media) consideration but doesn't seem to be a frontrunner; if I were Biden, I'd seriously consider asking her whether she'd be willing to resign her Senate seat now if she were to be offered the VP slot. They have a much better chance holding WI-SEN in a concurrent special election than in 2021.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #2763 on: June 20, 2020, 09:16:37 PM »

It's the special election thing. Baldwin has gotten serious (media) consideration but doesn't seem to be a frontrunner; if I were Biden, I'd seriously consider asking her whether she'd be willing to resign her Senate seat now if she were to be offered the VP slot. They have a much better chance holding WI-SEN in a concurrent special election than in 2021.

That is risky for Sen. Baldwin.  While Biden appears to be in a good position to win 4 1/2 months out, that is a long time.  As the running mate, Baldwin is no longer her own boss and therefore not fully in control of her own destiny.  If the ticket lost she would be out of office. 

And while the risk of losing the Wisconsin Senate seat would be less than in 2021, it is still a risk.  Certainly much more than a Senate seat in CA or IL.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2764 on: June 20, 2020, 10:06:50 PM »

It's going to be very ****ing strange in 4 years when the Borg starts allying with the KHive to take down Buttigieg.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #2765 on: June 20, 2020, 11:20:05 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2020, 11:23:21 PM by Monstro »

It's going to be Harris

Funny how everyone thought "Oh Biden/Harris makes sense"like 2 years ago and now here we are

You won't be wrong. But it feels like you've posted on every page how you want Harris or know it'll be Harris. It's practically become a drinking game for me
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2766 on: June 20, 2020, 11:51:19 PM »

It's going to be Harris

Funny how everyone thought "Oh Biden/Harris makes sense"like 2 years ago and now here we are

You won't be wrong. But it feels like you've posted on every page how you want Harris or know it'll be Harris. It's practically become a drinking game for me
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2767 on: June 20, 2020, 11:59:05 PM »

It's going to be Harris

Fair enough lol
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #2768 on: June 21, 2020, 02:40:12 AM »

True.  Not a ton of upside with Duckworth, but just about literally no downside.  That's honestly the best you can probably get.

It's certainly helpful and she's the best pick when only considering do-no-harm grounds, but the (positive) electoral effect of being a veteran is greatly overstated for Democratic GE candidates. The current president likes people who weren't captured, and I'm sure he also likes people who weren't injured.

It's not really about what Trump thinks of her though, it's the voters that matter. Duckworth is a veteran who lost both her legs in combat. That in itself is a pretty strong narrative to have. And if Trump made fun of her disability, or said something to the effect of "I like people who weren't injured", oh boy. That alone would boost dem turnout.
With you in spirit
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2769 on: June 21, 2020, 07:15:50 AM »

UPDATE: After hearing that "progressive darling" Elizabeth Warren endorsed Hickenlooper, I've decided Kamala is now my #1 preference for VP.

Sure, Kamala endorsed Hick too, but Kamala at least got behind him early instead of endorsing him when a progressive primary challenger had momentum. I can overlook Sexism-gate. I can overlook her not dropping out before Super Tuesday. I can't and won't overlook this.

The Bernie Borg was right. Warren's not a progressive - she's a ****ing snake. And if I've got a choice between two people with fluid political stances, I'm taking the ambitious grinder over the Machiavellian snake.

You’re usually right in your assessments and I generally agree with you, but this ain’t it. Her endorsements have gone to a slew of progressive candidates (Booker, Bowman, Eastman, Stephen Smith) but she has also endorsed candidates on the more moderate side of things plenty of times. Her organization is about coalition building. I also think it’s strange that she endorsed Hick but I’m not going to act like this is a knock against her progressive bonafides because she’s been endorsing plenty of candidates who align with her values. I think she might’ve endorsed Hick from an electability POV, as polls have shown him crushing Gardner so he seems like the safest bet to flip that seat. This doesn’t bother me and it doesn’t undo everything else she’s done for progressives both before and after her run for POTUS. One bad endorsement does not a snake make.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2770 on: June 21, 2020, 07:27:51 AM »

The KHive is extremely toxic. They deserve no support - zero.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2771 on: June 21, 2020, 07:35:47 AM »

You’re usually right in your assessments and I generally agree with you, but this ain’t it. Her endorsements have gone to a slew of progressive candidates (Booker, Bowman, Eastman, Stephen Smith) but she has also endorsed candidates on the more moderate side of things plenty of times. Her organization is about coalition building. I also think it’s strange that she endorsed Hick but I’m not going to act like this is a knock against her progressive bonafides because she’s been endorsing plenty of candidates who align with her values.

Hickenlooper isn't a moderate moving with the party's centre of gravity. He is (economically) on its right wing (relative to both national and state politics) and has spent the last two years effectively concern trolling everyone who tried to push what Warren says she believes in. To acknowledge he's the frontrunner would be one thing, but to compliment the climate record of someone who facilitated a massive expansion of fracking is ridiculous.

I think she might’ve endorsed Hick from an electability POV, as polls have shown him crushing Gardner so he seems like the safest bet to flip that seat.

If that's what's going on, it is hypocritical after everything her campaign had to say about electability in the presidential primaries. There have been no GE polls for Romanoff, but Hickenlooper is not significantly outperforming Biden in CO and it should be a safe D state with either candidate, even if Romanoff underperforms Biden and the convicted ethics violator by a few points.

This doesn’t bother me and it doesn’t undo everything else she’s done for progressives both before and after her run for POTUS. One bad endorsement does not a snake make.

I agree with you that it of course doesn't undo everything else she's done, but it does bother me because it fits a pattern of her trading away integrity for unlikely political gains in 2020. Warren's lifetime record is still - overall - absolutely brilliant for progressives, but her 2020 trend suggests storm clouds ahead for those of us expecting it to continue that way.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2772 on: June 21, 2020, 07:38:58 AM »

Duckworth will be a perfect running mate for Harris in 2024.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2773 on: June 21, 2020, 07:44:05 AM »

If the Democrats nominate Harris they can never talk about prosecutorial misconduct ever again.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2774 on: June 21, 2020, 08:48:29 AM »

If the Democrats nominate Harris they can never talk about prosecutorial misconduct ever again.
And that’s why She’s not going to be picked
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 116 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies