Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:17:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363858 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: May 19, 2020, 06:04:11 PM »

Her DNA test and relentless woke politics is already a needless distraction Biden doesn't need.

Yeah, not like the Trump campaign won't make stupid issues out of any of the potential VP candidates.

Attacking Tammy Duckworth is a lot harder than attacking Warren, and Duckworth holds a similar progressive score.

Those scores don't really matter. It's all about perception. Booker and Harris have consistently been ranked as top 5 most progressive senators by basically every ranking system, yet many progressives don't like either of them at all.

Duckworth is also largely unknown and unvetted on the national stage. We know for almost a fact that the worst attack Republicans have against Warren is the “Pocahontas” smear and attacking her as too left. We know what we’re getting with her, Harris, & Klobuchar.

I’d say it’s more of a risk to pick someone who didn’t run for President (Duckworth, Whitmer, Demings) than one of the former 3.

I think what's appealing about Duckworth though is that she is inherently sympathetic in being a wounded veteran. It would be hard to negatively characterize her in the face of that, and anything the Republicans try could backfire hard.
Her DNA test and relentless woke politics is already a needless distraction Biden doesn't need.

Yeah, not like the Trump campaign won't make stupid issues out of any of the potential VP candidates.

Attacking Tammy Duckworth is a lot harder than attacking Warren, and Duckworth holds a similar progressive score.

Those scores don't really matter. It's all about perception. Booker and Harris have consistently been ranked as top 5 most progressive senators by basically every ranking system, yet many progressives don't like either of them at all.

Duckworth is also largely unknown and unvetted on the national stage. We know for almost a fact that the worst attack Republicans have against Warren is the “Pocahontas” smear and attacking her as too left. We know what we’re getting with her, Harris, & Klobuchar.

I’d say it’s more of a risk to pick someone who didn’t run for President (Duckworth, Whitmer, Demings) than one of the former 3.

I think what's appealing about Duckworth though is that she is inherently sympathetic in being a wounded veteran. It would be hard to negatively characterize her in the face of that, and anything the Republicans try could backfire hard.

Exactly. Mark Kirk unfortunately learned this the hard way, and I'm sure it would look even worse for Trump if he tried to insult her.
LOL, the same Trump that attacked John McCain and the Khan family? The same Trump that mocked a disabled reporter?

C'mon, y'all should know better than this by now, it's been almost 5 years since he announced his candidacy.

Trump will say something like "She's a phony veteran. Phony! I like people that weren't injured." Trump is a scumbag.

I think it's a little different with Duckworth having a very obvious physical handicap unlike Kerry. And the comparison with the Khans and McCain isn't quite that accurate either to me, Trump and his party weren't running against them so there was significantly less risk by being shameless. She also wouldn't be afraid to throw Trump's Vietnam draft-dodging back in his face, she coined the term "Cadet Bone-Spurs" after all. I still think she'd be a fairly safe choice.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1526 on: May 19, 2020, 06:17:52 PM »

Exactly. Mark Kirk unfortunately learned this the hard way, and I'm sure it would look even worse for Trump if he tried to insult her.
LOL, the same Trump that attacked John McCain and the Khan family? The same Trump that mocked a disabled reporter?

C'mon, y'all should know better than this by now, it's been almost 5 years since he announced his candidacy.

Trump will say something like "She's a phony veteran. Phony! I like people that weren't injured." Trump is a scumbag.

I think it's a little different with Duckworth having a very obvious physical handicap unlike Kerry. And the comparison with the Khans and McCain isn't quite that accurate either to me, Trump and his party weren't running against them so there was significantly less risk by being shameless. She also wouldn't be afraid to throw Trump's Vietnam draft-dodging back in his face, she coined the term "Cadet Bone-Spurs" after all. I still think she'd be a fairly safe choice.
And what about the disabled reporter that Trump mocked?

Anyways, stop thinking that Trump has a bottom. Trump has NONE. He will say anything, even if it is disgusting and crass.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1527 on: May 19, 2020, 06:23:06 PM »

Anyways, stop thinking that Trump has a bottom. Trump has NONE. He will say anything, even if it is disgusting and crass.

They weren't running against the disabled reporter, he wouldn't get any sympathy votes.

And I am well aware that Trump has no shame at all but it doesn't mean that there won't be backlash to them. Let's not forget that there is backlash to everything he says, it just doesn't often yield consequences. In an election it could. I don't know if it will, but it's a much different circumstance than him just getting into a fight with some random private citizen. That's all I'm trying to point out here.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1528 on: May 19, 2020, 06:42:36 PM »

They weren't running against the disabled reporter, he wouldn't get any sympathy votes.

And I am well aware that Trump has no shame at all but it doesn't mean that there won't be backlash to them. Let's not forget that there is backlash to everything he says, it just doesn't often yield consequences. In an election it could. I don't know if it will, but it's a much different circumstance than him just getting into a fight with some random private citizen. That's all I'm trying to point out here.
In the primaries, Trump made of Marco Rubio ("Little Marco"), he called Ted Cruz's wife "ugly", he said that America wouldn't elect Carly Fiorina because "Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?"

In the general, Trump said that Hillary "should be in jail" and brought some accusers of Bill Clinton to one of the debates among many other things. Also, don't forget that the Access Hollywood tape leaked and he still won.

Sen. Duckworth would NOT be immune to Trump's crassness and shenanigans. The impact on the election would remain to be seen until Election Day as most people are solidified on their opinion of Trump already.

Anyways, Sen. Duckworth has a <1% of chance of being selected as Biden's VP.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1529 on: May 19, 2020, 06:48:36 PM »

In the primaries, Trump made of Marco Rubio ("Little Marco"), he called Ted Cruz's wife "ugly", he said that America wouldn't elect Carly Fiorina because "Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?"

In the general, Trump said that Hillary "should be in jail" and brought some accusers of Bill Clinton to one of the debates among many other things. Also, don't forget that the Access Hollywood tape leaked and he still won.

Sen. Duckworth would NOT be immune to Trump's crassness and shenanigans. The impact on the election would remain to be seen until Election Day as most people are solidified on their opinion of Trump already.

Anyways, Sen. Duckworth has a <1% of chance of being selected as Biden's VP.

For his Republican Party primary it was clearly beneficial for him to be as petty and personal as possible, but his rivals clearly didn't have much of a chance when they divided the opposition to him anyway.

I would argue that the Clinton "you should be in jail" comments did cause a backlash but not one that was enough to last until election day. Same with Access Hollywood. If the tape had come out a week before election day it would have taken attention away from Clinton's email investigation being reopened and probably led to a surge in support for her, as the polls indicated when it did actually come out. Clinton probably would have been President. It's all about timing. An insult on Duckowrth well before the election indeed probably wouldn't hurt him too much, but then again a poorly timed insult, closer to election day, to Duckworth by Trump or a Republican could hurt. I am insistent on that.

But yeah, it doesn't seem like she is being very highly considered, which I am somewhat surprised about. Then again, I'm not part of the campaign, so who knows?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1530 on: May 19, 2020, 07:39:21 PM »

Sen. Durbin said that the Biden campaign was preparing to interview Sen. Duckworth.  When she was asked if she was being vetted she dodged the question.  So they are at least running her through the paces.  She is unlikely to be the pick but could be a dark horse choice.  I've heard she is hesitant to take the position because she has a newborn, which is understandable.  But she also knows it is good for Asian-Americans and people with disabilities to see her being considered.

Sen. Cortez Masto also seems hesitant, or at least she is unwilling to maneuver to become the running mate.  That's a significant reason why I think her and Duckworth's chances are lower.

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1531 on: May 19, 2020, 08:18:50 PM »

Sen. Durbin said that the Biden campaign was preparing to interview Sen. Duckworth.  When she was asked if she was being vetted she dodged the question.  So they are at least running her through the paces.  She is unlikely to be the pick but could be a dark horse choice.  I've heard she is hesitant to take the position because she has a newborn, which is understandable.  But she also knows it is good for Asian-Americans and people with disabilities to see her being considered.

Sen. Cortez Masto also seems hesitant, or at least she is unwilling to maneuver to become the running mate.  That's a significant reason why I think her and Duckworth's chances are lower.
Well, Kamala is also half Asian (Indian) lol.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1532 on: May 19, 2020, 08:24:21 PM »

I am 75% certain it is going to be Warren.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1533 on: May 19, 2020, 08:26:01 PM »

To those thinking he wont attack Duckworth just because she's a war veteran, look at McCain.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1534 on: May 19, 2020, 08:49:13 PM »

Well, Kamala is also half Asian (Indian) lol.

Yes it is also good for Asian-Americans that Sen. Harris is high-profile in the process.  She did an event with the AAPI Victory Fund recently (it's posted on their Facebook page).  Her chances are much higher and she has no hesitations about maneuvering for the post.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #1535 on: May 19, 2020, 11:45:22 PM »

I'm going to be the odd one out among progressives on here and say: Warren would not be a good choice.

During the primaries, in polls that asked respondents who they would vote for in each possible Dem vs. Trump pairing, Warren usually performed worst out of all of them. Unfortunately, that takes priority over any policy.

Trump is one of the biggest threats to democracy our nation has seen in its history. Get him out first and prevent this country from becoming the next Hungary. Worry about the rest later.

In addition to all of that, Massachusetts's Republican governor would be naming her replacement. I don't think Biden would risk accidentally preventing a potential Senate majority.

I hope he considers Duckworth more. She really has everything the ticket needs, I think. I'm pretty sure it will be Harris, but there's always a chance.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1536 on: May 20, 2020, 06:03:50 AM »

People don't realize how divisive Warren is to the regular public. There are a lot of people who will totally vote for Biden but vehemently do not like Warren. It just is what it is. She possibly harms the ticket more than she helps.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1537 on: May 20, 2020, 06:55:22 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2020, 06:59:23 AM by Cory Booker »

People don't realize how divisive Warren is to the regular public. There are a lot of people who will totally vote for Biden but vehemently do not like Warren. It just is what it is. She possibly harms the ticket more than she helps.

She just endorsed Teresa Greenfield,  with 4/4 Congressional districts at stake, smart move, since she wants to be Veep.
JD Scholten, whom.is Charlie Brown sounding will beat King.

Some on the forum dont want Warren, due to fact, if she resigned to be Veep, Kennedy or Pressley will run

Again, taking Whitmer or Grisham, away from their states doesnt look smart for incumbent Govs.😍😍😍

Gov Bullock is staying in his home state, eventhough he is running for Senate and is being rewarded by having a 7 or lead over Daines.

Warren will be Veep, the Dems can change the succession law. They have 2/3rds majority in both chambers of state legislators 😍😍😍

It will be smart to pick Warren during 4th of July weekend, big holiday in Boston.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1538 on: May 20, 2020, 04:11:31 PM »

At the end of the day, I think Biden needs to pick a woman of color who isn't inexperienced, over 65, or divisive.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #1539 on: May 20, 2020, 06:44:11 PM »

At the end of the day, I think Biden needs to pick a woman of color who isn't inexperienced, over 65, or divisive.
Duckworth it is then!
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1540 on: May 20, 2020, 06:51:30 PM »

Duckworth it is then!
This guy gets it.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1541 on: May 20, 2020, 07:19:07 PM »

https://www.abqjournal.com/1457689/biden-may-be-looking-at-lujan-grisham-for-vp-ex-formal-vetting-process-is-currently-underway.html
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1542 on: May 20, 2020, 07:44:12 PM »

Duckworth it is then!
This guy gets it.
swf541

« Reply #1543 on: May 20, 2020, 07:52:03 PM »

Duckworth it is then!
This guy gets it.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1544 on: May 20, 2020, 08:11:56 PM »

She isn't a bad choice, but I've never really cared for Governors being removed from their position just to take a mostly ceremonial one like Vice President instead.
BlueGrassKentuckian
Rookie

« Reply #1545 on: May 20, 2020, 08:13:46 PM »

Klobuchar did poorly in the Midwestern state of Iowa despite all of NE Iowa being under a Minnesotan media market. My bets are on Kamala Harris.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1546 on: May 20, 2020, 08:28:36 PM »

Klobuchar did poorly in the Midwestern state of Iowa despite all of NE Iowa being under a Minnesotan media market. My bets are on Kamala Harris.

I'd say Klobuchar did better than expected in a crowded field actually. And Biden considers her endorsement the reason he won the Minnesota primary.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #1547 on: May 20, 2020, 08:37:31 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2020, 08:47:17 PM by NoobMaster69 »

I don’t know why they’re vetting second year governors. Seems silly to waste a new comer from such a powerful position to a ceremonial one.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1548 on: May 20, 2020, 08:42:39 PM »

I'd say Klobuchar did better than expected in a crowded field actually. And Biden considers her endorsement the reason he won the Minnesota primary.
Yeah, she's popular in Minnesota. She was re-elected easily in 2018 and by the biggest margin out of any statewide candidate.

However, her popularity in MN doesn't translate to other Midwestern states.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1549 on: May 20, 2020, 08:42:43 PM »

I’m not sure about this one.

I’d prefer a safer option like Klobuchar to appeal to the midwest.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies