Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:05:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363287 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: May 18, 2020, 09:11:06 PM »

CCM is chairperson of the DSCC and isnt leaving the Senate and Whitmer as already stated numerous times isnt MI, during a Pandemic
DSCC doesn't matter in that way. Stop repeating it mindlessly like it's a fact.

She already said she doesn't want it. All the Veep does is break ties in the Senate and travel to Israel, China, and UK and Canada and Australia

It's not a job everyone wants. But, Warren says she would take, even Harris, says she prefers to be Senator

They just did the "playing coy" usual m.o. for potential Veeps (unlike Stacey Abrams).

This is like when in fall 2014, Hillary said "I'm not thinking about running for President right now. I'm enjoying spending time with my family" and dozens of posters here said we needed to write-off 2016 for her because it's clear she won't run.

And the VP has become more powerful than that. And with Biden's age, whoever it is has to be thinking about 2024/2028 too.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #1501 on: May 18, 2020, 09:20:30 PM »

I saw this on twitter yesterday, and I honestly have no idea what people are reading into here. There is no possible way anyone in their right mind would be thinking he would offer her the VP slot live on MSNBC before any serious amount of vetting has gone on.

Bernie bros getting caught up in their hate for Stacy Abrams to make some weird speculation.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1502 on: May 18, 2020, 09:40:33 PM »

You would *think* Abrams would know that.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1503 on: May 19, 2020, 12:55:04 AM »

While picking a running mate who is not hugely vulnerable to incoming attacks is a consideration, I think the ability be the ticket's "attack dog" is as important, perhaps even more so.  Biden performed solidly in this role during his VP days, particularly in his 2012 debate with Paul Ryan:  "Malarkey!"  "That's a bunch of sh*t stuff."  "Now you're Jack Kennedy?"

Warren and Harris stand out for making tough attacks both during the primary and outside of it.  Some of these attacks were directed at Trump, others at primary opponents.  Some have happened during Senate hearings.

Not sure about Klobuchar.  She might be too "Minnesota Nice" to really throw red meat to the base in this way.

Hard to judge Cortez Masto or Duckworth on this front.  I haven't seen enough of them in a debate situation.

I think her staffers might disagree!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1504 on: May 19, 2020, 01:01:44 AM »

There is soemthing quite relaxing about being able to watch this thread when you don't particuarly care who the VP is and you don't think it would make a huge difference.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1505 on: May 19, 2020, 01:03:38 AM »

While picking a running mate who is not hugely vulnerable to incoming attacks is a consideration, I think the ability be the ticket's "attack dog" is as important, perhaps even more so.  Biden performed solidly in this role during his VP days, particularly in his 2012 debate with Paul Ryan:  "Malarkey!"  "That's a bunch of sh*t stuff."  "Now you're Jack Kennedy?"

Warren and Harris stand out for making tough attacks both during the primary and outside of it.  Some of these attacks were directed at Trump, others at primary opponents.  Some have happened during Senate hearings.

Not sure about Klobuchar.  She might be too "Minnesota Nice" to really throw red meat to the base in this way.

Hard to judge Cortez Masto or Duckworth on this front.  I haven't seen enough of them in a debate situation.

lol, if she showed that side of herself in public I wonder what the reaction would be.  Maybe she could throw a binder full of women at Mike Pence during the debate.  
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1506 on: May 19, 2020, 01:05:50 AM »

lol, if she showed that side of herself in public I wonder what the reaction would be.  Maybe she could throw a binder full of women at Mike Pence during the debate.  

She was pretty hilarous to Pete during the debates and iirc sunk his chances of winning New Hampshire after a debate where she smacked him around
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1507 on: May 19, 2020, 01:18:15 AM »

CCM is enjoying her time as DSCC chair to take the job as Veep. The Veep breakdown ties in the Senate and travel abroad to Israel, Japan, Canada, Mexico, UK and Australia and Russia.  CCM is looking to expand the Dem majority,  so a tied Senate wont be necessary.

Dems are looking at Warren whom likes working with Biden

It's not a big deal to be selected as Veep, after you run for Veep and stop campaigning you are a behind the scenes person
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1508 on: May 19, 2020, 01:29:39 AM »

Klobuchar could hurt minority turnout.

Rice would be political suicide. I think she'd be a fantastic Vice President, but she'd be a Palin-tier pick in terms of electability.

Abrams' very public audition for VP makes me question her political instincts. And I don't think we could win Georgia even with her.

Warren might be good to get support from the left-wing of the Democratic Party.

I think Harris is still the best option. She'd help with minority turnout, suburban women, and she would do very well in a debate with Pence.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1509 on: May 19, 2020, 05:38:09 AM »

Lujan Grisham being vetted: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/19/biden-vice-president-latino-leaders-261305
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1510 on: May 19, 2020, 05:57:57 AM »

Yeah, since CCM isnt leaving her post and Abrams and Val Demings are too inexperienced,  this seems more reasonable
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1511 on: May 19, 2020, 09:22:57 AM »

Whitmer says she’s had the “opening conversation” with the Biden campaign about VP vetting:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/05/19/whitmer-says-shes-had-opening-conversation-vp-potential/5219350002/

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer indicated Tuesday she'd been contacted by former Vice President Joe Biden's campaign to assess her candidacy as his running mate. 

Asked whether she'd been vetted by the campaign, Whitmer told the "3rd Hour of Today" she had an "opening conversation" with the campaign, but was focused on the job at hand in Michigan.

"It's not something that I would call a professional, formalized vetting," she said.

"... I've had a conversation with some folks but the fact of the matter is all of my energy is going into helping my state through this crisis unlike one that we've seen in a hundred years in this country," Whitmer said. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1512 on: May 19, 2020, 01:29:48 PM »

Still time for Warren, Warren will be excellent and the Dems are gonna win the Special anyways

Whitmer and Grisham have a Pandemic in their states
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1513 on: May 19, 2020, 02:36:57 PM »

This is from last week, but Duckworth was on The View, and asked both if she’s interested in the vice presidency, and if she’s being vetted, and she just dodged on both counts (skip to the 3 minute mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDP9z3YYX1I

Duckworth: “I will do whatever I need to do to get Joe Biden elected.”
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1514 on: May 19, 2020, 02:40:11 PM »

CBS News on the VP vetting:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joe-biden-running-mate-women-potential-short-list/

While he has also said that at least a dozen women are under consideration, sources have told CBS News Biden is seriously considering five to eight of these potential picks. Beyond contact with the vetting committee, top Biden staff like campaign manager Jen O'Malley Dillon and other senior advisers are in frequent contact — sometimes every day — with aides to these women.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1515 on: May 19, 2020, 03:52:15 PM »

I want Warren, I would love to see Kennedy run in the Speciak election in case he lose to Markey, that would not look kindly among the Biden supporters whom support Markey.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #1516 on: May 19, 2020, 04:13:47 PM »

So does the email news help or hurt Susan rice and her chances? I could see it go either way because they will try to attack her, but the email is clear evidence she did nothing wrong, and evidence of her professionalism. Which would be the driving factor in taking her. what do you guys think?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1517 on: May 19, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »

Stacey Abrams is not qualified in any way, shape, or form  to be the Democratic Vice Presidential candidate.

She would be worse than Sarah Palin.

This article lays it out in vey clear terms.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/opinions-stacey-abrams-is-the-democrats-sarah-palin/ar-BB14jNWh?li=AAggFp5

Stacey Abrams brings absolutely nothing to the ticket.

The only choice Biden really has is Elizabeth Warren.

Warren is qualified, in all respects.

If Joe Biden does not get this, his candidacy is doomed.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1518 on: May 19, 2020, 04:17:30 PM »

Stacey Abrams is not qualified in any way, shape, or form  to be the Democratic Vice Presidential candidate.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/opinions-stacey-abrams-is-the-democrats-sarah-palin/ar-BB14jNWh?li=AAggFp5

I don't understand who these supposed voters are that would specifically come out to vote for Biden if only Warren was the running mate.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1519 on: May 19, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »

I don't understand who these supposed voters are that would specifically come out to vote for Biden if only Warren was the running mate.

If Abrams is the running mate, there will be millions of Democrats leaving Biden to vote for someone else.

In my view, Warren is the only candidate that Biden can reasonably pick.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1520 on: May 19, 2020, 04:27:16 PM »

If Abrams is the running mate, there will be millions of Democrats leaving Biden to vote for someone else.

In my view, Warren is the only candidate that Biden can reasonably pick.

I agree Abrams is a bad pick, but I don't see why Warren would be better than say Harris.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1521 on: May 19, 2020, 04:31:40 PM »

So does the email news help or hurt Susan rice and her chances? I could see it go either way because they will try to attack her, but the email is clear evidence she did nothing wrong, and evidence of her professionalism. Which would be the driving factor in taking her. what do you guys think?
NO.

First of all, Susan Rice has like a 0.01% chance of being picked. Second of all, Benghazi would be a unnecessary albatross around her neck (and by extension Biden's neck). Thirdly, she wouldn't excite anyone.

Black people don't care about Susan Rice (she has no deep ties to the Black community and she has a White husband). Also, her son is a Trump supporter and president of the Stanford College Republicans.

Who would she excite? A few moderate white suburbanites? No, not really. Who? She adds nothing but negatives. Susan Rice is a terrible VP choice.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1522 on: May 19, 2020, 04:34:56 PM »

Warren has the Bernie supporters and she is the change candidate that Ds need to win.  Barb Bollier and Laura Kelly are two senior women that connects with Warren voters. Warren appeals to AZ, due to Senior females being in that state. Look at Megan and Cindy McCain whom endorsed Biden, they are Senior women. Dont forget Jeanne Shaheen whom is a Boomer as well. Boomer women are a force. Whitmer and GRISHAM domt want to leave their states due to Pandemic.  Alot of Biden supporters dont want Warren due to fact, Kennedy would run for seat in case he loses to Markey

75% its Warren😍😍😍
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1523 on: May 19, 2020, 04:48:10 PM »

Warren has the Bernie supporters and she is the change candidate that Ds need to win.  Barb Bollier and Laura Kelly are two senior women that connects with Warren voters. Warren appeals to AZ, due to Senior females being in that state. Look at Megan and Cindy McCain whom endorsed Biden, they are Senior women. Dont forget Jeanne Shaheen whom is a Boomer as well. Boomer women are a force. Whitmer and GRISHAM domt want to leave their states due to Pandemic.  Alot of Biden supporters dont want Warren due to fact, Kennedy would run for seat in case he loses to Markey

75% its Warren😍😍😍

Nah it'll be Harris. I'm like 80% sure.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1524 on: May 19, 2020, 04:57:48 PM »

Harris is great, either one, but Abrams or Val Demings arent great
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 299