Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 02:17:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 365221 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2020, 12:34:14 AM »

What if we were locked in the coronavirus bunker 😳😳 & we were running mates 😳😲 haha jk 🤪🤣 ...unless...?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #176 on: March 29, 2020, 12:12:20 PM »

CCM is asked about being Biden’s running mate, and she gives a non-denial, just saying that she’s “focused” on her current job:

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/indy-qa-cortez-masto-wants-government-to-take-greater-charge-of-mask-glove-supply-chain

Q: Sen. Harry Reid has asked Joe Biden if he could have you as his running mate. Would you consider being a potential running mate for Joe Biden?

CCM: I am so honored to have my name even out there and thought of in that way. But I will tell you right now, I am focused on my job here in the United States Senate. I am honored every single day that I get to work on behalf of the state that I was born and raised in and all the people and businesses that live there.

And really, my focus now is just getting us through this crisis and doing what I can at a federal level to make sure that we have the resources we need in our state and individuals have the health care that they need. 
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2020, 12:29:45 PM »

American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2020, 04:48:21 AM »

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2020, 06:38:51 AM »

Biden-Warren would be so off. She needs to stay in the Senate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2020, 06:50:15 AM »

Harris said on Sharpton show she isnt a candidate for Veep, she is staying in the Senate. I believe what she says.

Its probably Klobuchar, she is the only one that hasnt denied Veep speculation
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2020, 07:11:47 AM »

Why does it seem like Duckworth isn't mentioned\considered at all? Does she have some skeleton in the closet?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2020, 07:20:23 AM »

Warren as VP would make me much more enthusiastic toward the prospect of Biden presidency.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2020, 08:19:01 AM »

Why does it seem like Duckworth isn't mentioned\considered at all? Does she have some skeleton in the closet?

I don't understand this, either. Some of it is probably sexism; she has young children, and people assume that mothers with young children wouldn't be willing to seek higher office.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2020, 09:28:03 AM »

Harris said on Sharpton show she isnt a candidate for Veep, she is staying in the Senate. I believe what she says.

Yeah, and people who are running for president are saying they're staying in until they drop out 3 hours later. What else is she supposed to say?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2020, 09:33:06 AM »

Everyone says until being asked. Saying "yup, I'd like to VP" is not something candidates usually do.

I can see Biden nominating Harris for SCOTUS, too, since he promised to nominate a black woman.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2020, 09:44:49 AM »

I don't understand this, either. Some of it is probably sexism; she has young children, and people assume that mothers with young children wouldn't be willing to seek higher office.

More likely because she is a low-profile senator and not exactly a media darling.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2020, 09:54:12 AM »

Warren as Biden's VP makes a lot more sense than we initially realized. And if Biden's main concern is picking someone fit to do the job of President, her brand of competence is a strong reinforcement for that.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2020, 09:55:58 AM »

Cortez-Masto makes the most sense to me pre- and post-COVID19 pandemic politics.

Biden is underperforming with Latino voters, not black voters. Cortez-Masto helps in a critical swing state and the wider Sun Belt (Arizona particularly), speaks Spanish obviously and has a historic career, and in my view is a more charismatic speaker than a number of other potential running mates (Duckworth, Baldwin).

I think all sitting Governors are out. Nobody can afford to abandon their state when COVID flares up again in the fall. The bench wasn't strong in the first place.

Klobuchar and Harris don't add much to the ticket in my view. There is a reason they lost. Harris has a horrendous campaign and clearly was a micro-manager, completely shooting herself in the foot. Klobuchar couldn't beat Pete for grabbing moderate + Trump county voters. Granted, Joe Biden did horrible in the 2008 primary and still ended up on the winning ticket.

Bringing someone outside of the 2020 field of candidates can also be beneficial to unity because then other supporters don't feel jipped if it's not their candidate. If you pick Klobuchar or Harris, how do Warren supporters feel motivated? A "fresh" face can be more unifying and drive up enthusiasm.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2020, 10:01:46 AM »

Cortez-Masto makes the most sense to me pre- and post-COVID19 pandemic politics.

Biden is underperforming with Latino voters, not black voters. Cortez-Masto helps in a critical swing state and the wider Sun Belt (Arizona particularly), speaks Spanish obviously and has a historic career, and in my view is a more charismatic speaker than a number of other potential running mates (Duckworth, Baldwin).

No.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2020, 10:14:58 AM »

I think all sitting Governors are out. Nobody can afford to abandon their state when COVID flares up again in the fall. The bench wasn't strong in the first place.

Klobuchar and Harris don't add much to the ticket in my view. There is a reason they lost. Harris has a horrendous campaign and clearly was a micro-manager, completely shooting herself in the foot. Klobuchar couldn't beat Pete for grabbing moderate + Trump county voters. Granted, Joe Biden did horrible in the 2008 primary and still ended up on the winning ticket.

Bringing someone outside of the 2020 field of candidates can also be beneficial to unity because then other supporters don't feel jipped if it's not their candidate. If you pick Klobuchar or Harris, how do Warren supporters feel motivated? A "fresh" face can be more unifying and drive up enthusiasm.

Biden's not underperforming with Latinos, and there's no reason to believe he won't consolidate them in the General.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2020, 10:21:04 AM »

I disagree, Klobuchar compliments Biden and is a strong debater , and could match Pence in debates. Biden already said that he will select a female that he shared the debate stage with. Harris said yesterday that she is not looking to move her family out of California, that means its Klobuchar,  whom has made a home already in DC. By the time Biden selects his Veep, her hubby will have recovered from coronas
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2020, 10:24:51 AM »

I'd be cool with CCM, makes sense
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #193 on: March 30, 2020, 10:46:25 AM »

I’ve said it multiple threads and that Wash Post/ABC poll confirms it: Biden-Warren would be the best ticket.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #194 on: March 30, 2020, 11:01:58 AM »

Yeah I can dig a Biden/CCM ticket.

I’ve said it multiple threads and that Wash Post/ABC poll confirms it: Biden-Warren would be the best ticket.

Nice. The only true issue is her age, but I definitely believe Warren brings more to the table than Harris or Klobuchar.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »

Biden-Warren is definitely the best possible ticket.  It would energize a lot of people who are currently pretty bummed about how the campaign is shaping up, and would provide a clear focus for Biden’s policy agenda.  Warren could also be delegated to make the ideological attacks on the Trump ticket, and leave it up to Biden to make valence contrasts (on competence, honesty, compassion, etc.).

CCM would be fine, but no one knows her, so it’s just a demographics play (though possibly an effective one).

Klobuchar would be a terrible pick.  Almost half of the Democratic electorate is already pretty frustrated with their party, and this would just be kicking them when they are down.  And more importantly, it doesn’t gain Biden anything.  What sort of voter is unlikely to vote for Biden now, but would suddenly change their mind if he chose Klobuchar?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2020, 11:53:27 AM »

Any of the Democratic primary contenders would be train wreck VP picks for Biden.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2020, 11:58:07 AM »

Warren as Biden's VP makes a lot more sense than we initially realized. And if Biden's main concern is picking someone fit to do the job of President, her brand of competence is a strong reinforcement for that.

Yeah, there's a reason he promised her the vice presidency had he ran in 2016.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2020, 11:59:28 AM »

I’ll probably be happy with whomever he chooses, but I prefer Demings or CCM. Demings would be a safer choice since she doesn’t hold a competitive Senate seat.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #199 on: March 30, 2020, 12:10:00 PM »

Warrens the only vp who would boost youth turnout for Biden which he desperately needs The youth are not fans of Harris Klobuchar and don't care who Demmings and CCM and Duckworth are
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies