Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:39:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 358101 times)
scutosaurus
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2019, 05:26:06 PM »

He's not really going to do that and the article doesn't even say that he's "thinking" about it. He gave a throwaway answer so that the media didn't spin his answer into some sort of scandal about him hating Republican voters. The media loves to use these sort of questions to try and create drama for Democrats.

This, but some Republicans could be good choices for Biden - Phil Batt, Connie Morella, or Barbara Comstock would strengthen the ticket significantly.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2019, 05:30:53 PM »

He's not really going to do that and the article doesn't even say that he's "thinking" about it. He gave a throwaway answer so that the media didn't spin his answer into some sort of scandal about him hating Republican voters. The media loves to use these sort of questions to try and create drama for Democrats.

This, but some Republicans could be good choices for Biden - Phil Batt, Connie Morella, or Barbara Comstock would strengthen the ticket significantly.

I'm going to assume you are joking since Connie Morella is 88 and Philip Batt is 95 and because Comstock is just an obvious joke.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2019, 05:31:20 PM »

Going to be great when Democrats somehow manage to win the Presidency and get to 50 in the Senate only for Vice President Kasich to hand Mitch back the keys to control of the Senate again.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2019, 05:33:21 PM »

I'm going to assume you are joking since Connie Morella is 88 and Philip Batt is 95 and because Comstock is just an obvious joke.

Barbara Comstock would be a phenomenal VP pick for Biden. She's an accomplished moderate PoWG that represented the growing base of the democratic party and is a fantastic fundraiser.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2019, 05:39:01 PM »

He said he would, if he could think of any. This is more of a backhanded slap at the GOP than anything else.

Of course, many take that completely out-of-context with their deliberate distortions.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »

He said he would, if he could think of any. This is more of a backhanded slap at the GOP than anything else.

Of course, many take that completely out-of-context with their deliberate distortions.

Don't forget this the same man who wants to save the Republican Party--I don't think others are the ones reading the wrong context into this.

If Biden was at least somewhat competent, which it's clear he isn't, he wouldn't validate these questions with an answer in the first place.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »

If Joe Biden selects a Democrat as his running mate, I'll vote for him. It will be a reluctant vote, but a reluctant vote is still a vote.

If Joe Biden selects a Republican as his running mate, I will not vote for him. Washington state will still vote for him - but he will lose the election by a wider margin than anybody thought possible if he makes this decision.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2019, 05:46:30 PM »

Totally idiotic. This man should not even get close to the convention hall.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2019, 05:48:28 PM »

Don't forget this the same man who wants to save the Republican Party--I don't think others are the ones reading the wrong context into this.

If Biden was at least somewhat competent, which it's clear he isn't, he wouldn't validate these questions with an answer in the first place.

lol k
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2019, 05:53:02 PM »

Hilarious if true.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2019, 06:00:05 PM »

Sure he's naive about Republicans in some aspects, but he's not going to actually pick a Republican running mate or even consider it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2019, 06:03:49 PM »

Obama picked Judd Gregg as Commerce Secretary and continued Robert Gates as SOD. The Cabinet is gonna need bipartisanship
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2019, 06:22:42 PM »

Well... at least he's a Democrat
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2019, 06:24:39 PM »

Fake News.

He isn't actually thinking about it.

He just said he wouldn't shut the door, when someone asked him about it.

If you told me he could pick Bob Gates or Colin Powell as his VP and swing 15-25% of Republicans to his coalition I might just take that deal.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2019, 06:32:44 PM »

Fake News.

He isn't actually thinking about it.

He just said he wouldn't shut the door, when someone asked him about it.

If you told me he could pick Bob Gates or Colin Powell as his VP and swing 15-25% of Republicans to his coalition I might just take that deal.
You think Democrats should actively strive to get a bunch of Republican votes?

Insanity
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2019, 06:37:13 PM »

But we're the ones who are pipe dreamers for believing in MFA.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2019, 06:37:50 PM »

lol k

You know I'm right and you don't like it otherwise you'd have an actual response.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2019, 06:40:32 PM »

READ THE F[INKS]ING ARTICLE INSTEAD OF JUST REACTING BASED ON THE SUMMARY HOLY SH!T PEOPLE.

Hell just reading the article's headline in this case would be enough
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2019, 07:05:41 PM »

To the two idiots who responded to me: it's an extreme hypothetical to illustrate why you shouldn't shut the door.

No, I don't think Biden would swing 25% of Republicans by picking Colin Powell for VP.  But you knew that.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2019, 07:13:57 PM »

lol k

You know I'm right and you don't like it otherwise you'd have an actual response.

Your asinine statement didn't deserve an actual response, but okay, if you really want me to tell you just how stupid & foolish it is:

A. Wanting the Republicans to rehabilitate so that they're a loyal opposition party isn't a bad thing.

B. Political partisanship or hyperbole aside, Biden is the most competent primary candidate when it comes to their capabilities of being President. You know I'm right. You just don't like him. Big whoop; he's still the most qualified candidate running.

C. As has been pointed out to you in the Biden megathread by both myself & RFKFan68, it made complete sense for him to "validate this question with an answer in the first place." As I said in that thread, the answer he gave was the perfect answer to the question of "would you choose a Republican?" It allows him to look bipartisan while signalling that the GOP is bereft of statesmen. But okay, if you wanna keep attacking him just to attack him, then go off I guess.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2019, 07:15:08 PM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2019, 07:34:55 PM »

Trump has made me and most of the country very leary of "figurative" statements.

lol k

Your asinine statement didn't deserve an actual response, but okay, if you really want me to tell you just how stupid & foolish it is:

A. Wanting the Republicans to rehabilitate so that they're a loyal opposition party isn't a bad thing.

B. Political partisanship or hyperbole aside, Biden is the most competent primary candidate when it comes to their capabilities of being President. You know I'm right. You just don't like him. Big whoop; he's still the most qualified candidate running.

C. As has been pointed out to you in the Biden megathread by both myself & RFKFan68, it made complete sense for him to "validate this question with an answer in the first place." As I said in that thread, the answer he gave was the perfect answer to the question of "would you choose a Republican?" It allows him to look bipartisan while signalling that the GOP is bereft of statesmen. But okay, if you wanna keep attacking him just to attack him, then go off I guess.

A. The Republican Party has shown they have absolutely no interest in taking part in a government in which they don't have absolute power and it's naive to think they will.

B. I don't "just not like him" in fact I was hoping he'd run in 2016, but I'm finding out more and more that shows how misguided that was had he run. He needs to open his eyes and look at what he's actually running against rather than trusting they'll act better once Trump's gone.

C. It's not a great thing to say when a lot of people are already on edge over the thought of Republicans, despite not being voted for by the people, to continue having largely unquestioned say over governing. I can see both sides of this (probably a no-win situation tbh) but I still don't trust him at the moment given other similarly-themed statements he's made. He certainly has experience, but as Hillary showed us in 2016 that's not enough to win.  If he can show that he sees the Republicans as an actual threat to the country beyond simply Trump himself, and that he knows the Republicans can't be trusted to participate in good faith in governing, then I'll reevaluate my take because I certainly don't want another four years of this mess we're in now.

I will add I appreciate you actually responding to the post this time.

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2019, 07:43:58 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2019, 07:46:47 PM »

As naive as it may sound, this is just him setting himself up to have crossover appeal to a general election electorate. I don't necessarily like it, but I think he know what he's doing. He is aware that he is one of the few Democrats running who anti-Trump Republicans (as few of them as there are) will wholeheartedly support in the general election.

Honestly, Biden's answer from the last debate on the question of working with Republicans probably summed it up the best where he said something along the lines of: "if anyone should be upset with Republicans, it's me, but I have to work with them as much as possible if I want to accomplish my goals for the sake of the American people." That seems to be his schtick, and it's honestly not a bad one for a general election, and for supporting his electability based appeal for the primary. It also instills the necessity of keeping a Democratic House and gaining a Democratic Senate so that this prospect doesn't necessarily have to come to fruition. He's essentially running against Trump and his ilk in the best way possible so as to not alienate or ostracize other Republicans. It can work.

I honestly don't think that he is really going to select a Republican running mate anyway. I really don't think this is worth making a big deal out of. Without a doubt he will select a female Democrat.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2019, 07:53:22 PM »

I honestly don't think that he is really going to select a Republican running mate anyway. I really don't think this is worth making a big deal out of. Without a doubt he will select a female Democrat.

I'm hoping if he does, it's Abrams. Georgia has made it clear they have no intention of holding a free election and will remove as many voters as possible to make sure so there's no real point in losing another rigged election.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies