Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 02:57:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362561 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2550 on: June 16, 2020, 05:15:11 AM »

Biden made it clear he's a "bridge" to the next generation. Biden picking an old white woman who would be 75 by Election Day 2024 would be extremely tone-deaf and off-putting.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2551 on: June 16, 2020, 05:31:02 AM »
« Edited: June 16, 2020, 05:35:33 AM by Charles Booker »

Biden made it clear he's a "bridge" to the next generation. Biden picking an old white woman who would be 75 by Election Day 2024 would be extremely tone-deaf and off-putting.

Hilary would like to say hi, who is just as old as Warren, and she ran for Prez in 2016 and after 2 terms would be almost as old as Warren. Harris already said she prefers the Senate, Harris was a media fantasy, due to fact Michelle Obama cant run

Harris wanted to be Prez not Veep
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2552 on: June 16, 2020, 07:32:21 AM »

I want Liz to be the pick very badly, but I can't help but think that it would be tone deaf to pick a white woman at this time. Prior to George Floyd's murder, I felt that it was a good enough argument to say that Warren consistently received support from AA voters when polled about the VP pick, but now I think things have changed and a lot of folks who are protesting want to see change at the top. Biden picking a black woman who has had her hand in criminal justice reform proposals as of late would at least seem like an effort to reach out to that community, whereas Warren feels more like a general pick for middle and lower class people--not that the two are mutually exclusive, I just think the circumstances have shifted so radically in the last few weeks that this isn't something we ought to overlook. I know the country may very well look differently in November, but it's not like we'll forget about everything that's going on right now...
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #2553 on: June 16, 2020, 10:46:32 AM »

Biden isnt picking Val Demings since she isnt a Senator and Harris isnt that great of a pick, the same people like President Johnson who didnt want her as Prez are lobbying her to be picked as Veep.  Its gonna be Warren
Lognog
United States

« Reply #2554 on: June 16, 2020, 11:47:51 AM »

Biden isnt picking Val Demings since she isnt a Senator and Harris isnt that great of a pick, the same people like President Johnson who didnt want her as Prez are lobbying her to be picked as Veep.  Its gonna be Warren

Why do you keep saying it's destined to be Warren. What indication is there that it will be Warren.

In the heat of the BLM movement right now, I don't know how and old white guy that's running as a democrat just picks and an old white woman as his VEEP.

Not to mention he and Harris are more in line in policy, something that he has stated is very important to him. Also, She has been great in joint fundraising with him
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2555 on: June 16, 2020, 11:52:35 AM »

Why do you keep saying it's destined to be Warren. What indication is there that it will be Warren.

In the heat of the BLM movement right now, I don't know how and old white guy that's running as a democrat just picks and an old white woman as his VEEP.

Not to mention he and Harris are more in line in policy, something that he has stated is very important to him. Also, She has been great in joint fundraising with him

OC is meant to be appreciated not understood.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #2556 on: June 16, 2020, 11:57:22 AM »

OC?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #2557 on: June 16, 2020, 12:09:03 PM »

Didnt you read my post, Hilary ran in 2016 and she is just as old as Warren. HILARY likes to say hi. And Biden said he would pick Warren in 2016 if he ran for Prez
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2558 on: June 16, 2020, 12:39:10 PM »

Regarding Demings, I will say this.  While she has only been in the House a short period of time, she has served on some very important committees (Homeland Security, Judiciary, and Intelligence).  I feel like the Biden camp could make the case that she's qualified enough, if they needed to. 
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2559 on: June 16, 2020, 12:49:04 PM »

Didnt you read my post, Hilary ran in 2016 and she is just as old as Warren. HILARY likes to say hi. And Biden said he would pick Warren in 2016 if he ran for Prez

I know I'm not supposed to respond, but I can't resist.

1. You misspelled Hillary.
2. Why did you randomly put Hillary in all caps?  Stop yelling!
Lognog
United States

« Reply #2560 on: June 16, 2020, 01:54:36 PM »

I know HILARY is as old as Warren. That's literally my point. Joe Biden is the oldest nominee ever and needs to add youth to the ticket.

Biden said he would like to pick Warren but that was a very long time ago and way before the Floyd protests
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #2561 on: June 16, 2020, 03:00:29 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2020, 03:04:51 PM by Monstro »

I'm not sure what the point of Warren being under consideration is. Even well before the protests, the intentions seemed clear that he wasn't interested in a white woman as his running mate.

And if it was to placate the progressive base, it would've made more sense to have Abrams or Duckworth this deep in the mix even if he has no intention of choosing them.

Regarding Demings, I will say this.  While she has only been in the House a short period of time, she has served on some very important committees (Homeland Security, Judiciary, and Intelligence).  I feel like the Biden camp could make the case that she's qualified enough, if they needed to. 

I know you said 'if they needed to', but "She's got more political experience than the president" seems good enough to me
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2562 on: June 16, 2020, 03:07:01 PM »

I'm not sure what the point of Warren being under consideration is. Even well before the protests, the intentions seemed clear that he wasn't interested in a white woman as his running mate.

And if it was to placate the progressive base, it would've made more sense to have Abrams or Duckworth this deep in the mix even if he has no intention of choosing them.

I know you said 'if they needed to', but "She's got more political experience than the president" seems good enough to me

Democrats are held to a different standard, as you know.
new_patomic

« Reply #2563 on: June 16, 2020, 03:07:49 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2020, 03:14:36 PM by new_patomic »

Abrams and Duckworth aren't exactly known for their progressive bonafides.

The only other choice I can think of for a progressive pick might be Tammy Baldwin, but that would put her senate seat in too much jeopardy. Arguably Harris should be considered a progressive pick, but she's not really thought of in that context, or at least hasn't been in the Senate long enough to cast off suspicion given past statements/actions.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #2564 on: June 16, 2020, 03:23:15 PM »

OC?

Olowakandi (Cory Booker, Charles Booker etc). A forum institution.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #2565 on: June 16, 2020, 03:33:26 PM »

Abrams and Duckworth seem like they're strongly supported by the 'Progressive' wing. Anecdotal; but having attended a few Bernie rallies this year, the most common names I heard among attendees as running mates they'd go for were Baldwin, Duckworth & Abrams (in that order)
new_patomic

« Reply #2566 on: June 16, 2020, 04:11:25 PM »

Abrams and Duckworth seem like they're strongly supported by the 'Progressive' wing. Anecdotal; but having attended a few Bernie rallies this year, the most common names I heard among attendees as running mates they'd go for were Baldwin, Duckworth & Abrams (in that order)

I don't think a lot Sanders supporters were using 'who is the most progressive' when imagining his running mate. Maybe not a conservative Democrat, either, but someone like Abrams or Duckworth offered a good obvious contrast to Bernie while largely being standard Democrats, and thus a possible olive branch to the rest of the party.

They're both well liked, and I don't think would cause further problems like how picking Amy Klobuchar might, but that's not the same thing as being seen as a pick to mollify progressive activists/voters.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2567 on: June 16, 2020, 04:53:23 PM »

I know HILARY is as old as Warren. That's literally my point. Joe Biden is the oldest nominee ever and needs to add youth to the ticket.

Biden said he would like to pick Warren but that was a very long time ago and way before the Floyd protests

Biden doesn't need to add youth to the ticket to energize the youth. He needs to pick someone younger because there is a good chance Biden will not be running in 2024 in the event he wins in 2020. He's old, and the office is immensely stressful. It doesn't need to be death, it just has to be humility to recognize that your capabilities are weakening. IF Biden isn't running for reelection, he ideally would want to retire sometime during the first term, so as to give his VP some achievements and policies to run on when they try for reelection.

All this means that Biden wants someone younger, but not exactly young. In fact throughout this entire process Biden has seemed to be looking for someone who thinks like him, or at least has a similar sense of understanding. This is likely because of the scenario outlined above, and Biden wants to ensure succession is smooth and trustworthy.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2568 on: June 16, 2020, 07:26:12 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2020, 08:20:33 PM by OneJ »

This article basically sort of corroborates something from the Politico article that claimed Klobuchar's chances of becoming VP had collapsed: that despite being white Warren would likely get the least backlash thanks in part to a fair number of Black activists and voters who really like her policies that they believe would be quite beneficial for the Black community at large. It also helps that unlike Harris or Demings, Warren hasn't been involved in a profession of criminal justice.

It also lists a few potential drawbacks: her age and ideology. Plus the fact that Harris is undeniably the frontrunner at this point.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2569 on: June 16, 2020, 08:19:12 PM »

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1273004134044782592

This article basically sort of corroborate something from the Politico article that claimed Klobuchar's chances of becoming VP had collapsed: that despite being white Warren would likely get the least backlash thanks in part to a fair number of Black activists and voters who really like her policies that they believe would be quite beneficial for the Black community at large. It also helps that unlike Harris or Demings, Warren hasn't been involved in a profession of criminal justice.

It also lists a few potential drawbacks: her age and ideology. Plus the fact that Harris is undeniably the frontrunner at this point.

This.

Warren has been thinking about how we rebuild the pillars of our society from the ground up - rather than how to make piecemeal changes - for her entire career. When it comes to economic policy that takes into account individual communities' needs instead of just the broad 'rising tide'-type policies, she has bold ideas that'll specifically help the Black community. When it comes to police reform & public safety, she's got a plan for that. When it comes to systemic racism, she's got a plan for that.

This isn't to say that other candidates who happen to be of color aren't qualified, but Warren is head-&-shoulders above them in terms of policy, guts, know-how, etc., & I've truly come to believe that she'd be the best VP (& future President) for the Black community all across this country. I think a number of other candidates are qualified, & would make history, but I'm not fully sold on the idea that they'd fight for the change we need to see, & while I can't speak for the Black community as a whole, I know my Black friends prefer a white woman who's all for bringing about structural change to a Black woman who might not be able to.

In terms of appeal to Black voters, she not only has the policy, the brains, & the ability to hammer out solutions, but she also understands that she can always learn more. She acknowledges when she's wrong & she makes efforts to fix her mistakes based on actually listening to the people she's wronged. She doesn't just crack open a book & say "statistically, this should work;" she turns to the downtrodden & says "tell me what you need," then she listens & she figures out how to make it happen. That ability to be wrong, to listen, & to reach out to continue educating herself is what puts her above not just the other VP contenders, but most politicians in this country too.

Oh yeah, & the party rank-&-file still wants her 2-to-1.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #2570 on: June 16, 2020, 08:49:55 PM »

This article basically sort of corroborate something from the Politico article that claimed Klobuchar's chances of becoming VP had collapsed: that despite being white Warren would likely get the least backlash thanks in part to a fair number of Black activists and voters who really like her policies that they believe would be quite beneficial for the Black community at large. It also helps that unlike Harris or Demings, Warren hasn't been involved in a profession of criminal justice.

This.

Warren has been thinking about how we rebuild the pillars of our society from the ground up - rather than how to make piecemeal changes - for her entire career. When it comes to economic policy that takes into account individual communities' needs instead of just the broad 'rising tide'-type policies, she has bold ideas that'll specifically help the Black community. When it comes to police reform & public safety, she's got a plan for that. When it comes to systemic racism, she's got a plan for that.

This isn't to say that other candidates who happen to be of color aren't qualified, but Warren is head-&-shoulders above them in terms of policy, guts, know-how, etc., & I've truly come to believe that she'd be the best VP (& future President) for the Black community all across this country. I think a number of other candidates are qualified, & would make history, but I'm not fully sold on the idea that they'd fight for the change we need to see, & while I can't speak for the Black community as a whole, I know my Black friends prefer a white woman who's all for bringing about structural change to a Black woman who might not be able to.

In terms of appeal to Black voters, she not only has the policy, the brains, & the ability to hammer out solutions, but she also understands that she can always learn more. She acknowledges when she's wrong & she makes efforts to fix her mistakes based on actually listening to the people she's wronged. She doesn't just crack open a book & say "statistically, this should work;" she turns to the downtrodden & says "tell me what you need," then she listens & she figures out how to make it happen. That ability to be wrong, to listen, & to reach out to continue educating herself is what puts her above not just the other VP contenders, but most politicians in this country too.

I wouldn't be upset what-so-ever if Elizabeth Warren is picked for the VP slot. I don't think she will, but if she isn't, then Biden has to choose her for Secretary of the Treasury. Wall Street would go nuts, but we need someone who's really going to shake-up the system.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2571 on: June 16, 2020, 08:51:35 PM »

This.

I wouldn't be upset what-so-ever if Elizabeth Warren is picked for the VP slot. I don't think she will, but if she isn't, then Biden has to choose her for Secretary of the Treasury. Wall Street would go nuts, but we need someone who's really going to shake-up the system.

It would cost Ds a senate seat they can't afford to lose. Baker would appoint a Susan Collins 2.0
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2572 on: June 16, 2020, 08:54:06 PM »

This.

It would cost Ds a senate seat they can't afford to lose. Baker would appoint a Susan Collins 2.0

No. This talking point needs to die already. What part of "THE DEMOCRATS HAVE A SUPERMAJORITY IN THE MASSACHUSETTS STATE LEGISLATURE AND WILL FORCE BAKER TO APPOINT A DEMOCRAT IF/WHEN BIDEN PICKS WARREN!" do y'all not understand?
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2573 on: June 16, 2020, 09:41:10 PM »

This.

No.  This has been debunked many times over.  The Massachusetts legislature would very likely pass a law making it so Baker has to pick someone from the same party as the outgoing senator.  Baker would likely prefer this, too, because it would be in his interest to appoint a Democrat, but he would want to say he was made to do it.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #2574 on: June 16, 2020, 09:43:56 PM »

This.

Ok, I hate when people say this. But the risk is worth the reward. People think that the Senate is going to go 50-50 after this, then that's not thinking correctly. If the Dems win back the Senate, they're going to win more than just 4 seats. It'll be a few and sure Baker makes an appointment, Pressley is going to run against that person and win easily. If Joe wants to pick Warren, do it. I suspect that the Democrats can win more than just 4 seats, I think Montana will go to Bullock, Ernst looks like she's on the way out in Iowa, Doug Jones can certainly retain his seat, the two seats in Georgia are toss-up's and depending who Kansas nominates they could win that seat too.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies