Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:38:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362753 times)
DisneyDem
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2525 on: June 15, 2020, 10:48:30 AM »

Again, lots of legitimate criticisms of her. I don’t want her anywhere near the presidency. But calling her and aggressive culture warrior sounds like you just filled out a republican mad lib
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2526 on: June 15, 2020, 10:52:17 AM »

The only woman on the list who comes across aggressive is Rice, another reason why she should be far away from the VP slot.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #2527 on: June 15, 2020, 11:54:26 AM »

I'm still fully expecting Harris, seeing as Biden has benefited from playing safe at every turn. Even despite her potential baggage and her failure in the primary (which was true of Biden at one point!) she'd still generate a fawning response from the media and the Democratic base for multiple reasons (first black woman on a ticket! immensely qualified! will hold the Trump admonistration accountable!) and that may outweigh all the negatives.

This. All she needs is a few good moments when she's questioning conservatives like when she ripped apart Barr and Kavanaugh

She comes off as way too aggressive. That’s a problem for Biden.

"Too aggressive?"  No one becomes a U.S. senator by being a shrinking violet.  Male senators don't get described this way.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2528 on: June 15, 2020, 11:58:49 AM »

Oh f**k that noise. Who cares if she's aggressive? Democrats need to grow a damn backbone so who gvies two s**ts if she's too aggressive?
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #2529 on: June 15, 2020, 12:09:51 PM »

The only woman on the list who comes across aggressive is Rice, another reason why she should be far away from the VP slot.

To add. I;ve never questioned her qualifications or resume. It's probably the most impressive. Biden has plenty of other well experienced woman to pick from that don't have as easily exploitable baggage.  He is better off keeping Benghazi out of limelight.  On top of that she has never held elected office. That's enough red flags. Maybe she will prove us wrong, but I'm not confident. Now the aggressive part. From the couple of interviews she comes off way too cold and stiff. Should't matter but it does. I think she be better as Secretary of State.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #2530 on: June 15, 2020, 01:31:10 PM »

I'm still fully expecting Harris, seeing as Biden has benefited from playing safe at every turn. Even despite her potential baggage and her failure in the primary (which was true of Biden at one point!) she'd still generate a fawning response from the media and the Democratic base for multiple reasons (first black woman on a ticket! immensely qualified! will hold the Trump admonistration accountable!) and that may outweigh all the negatives.

This. All she needs is a few good moments when she's questioning conservatives like when she ripped apart Barr and Kavanaugh

I think holding people in power accountable is a very attractive quality for any politician
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2531 on: June 15, 2020, 03:07:01 PM »

I mean as in Biden would be wise to tone down the culture wars as President. Harris comes off as more concerned about that stuff than anything.
Ending systemic racism that is literally killing whole communities is culture wars I guess.

Shutting down Trump's twitter would have been a distraction.

That said, her healthcare plan was one of the best in the primary field.

Yeah that's true, but mostly because she took every position there was on healthcare.  

Harris isn't my favorite, but if Biden picks her, fine.  There's never going to be any candidate that checks all the boxes and will appeal to everyone.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2532 on: June 15, 2020, 06:02:21 PM »

Just pick Harris so we can have the Biden/Harris ticket everyone has been predicting since January 2018.

I've said this before, but I do think that's going to end up being the case. It's a similar situation to Clinton picking Tim Kaine in 2016: there was a lot of speculation leading up to her choice, but everyone knew deep down inside that it was always going to be Kaine who was chosen.

Let's hope whatever choice is made doesn't get panned quite as badly as 2016's after the fact.

Was Kaine really perceived of that badly during the election? It always seemed to me that he was just irrelevant, same with Pence. 2016 was not an election where the running mates mattered much.

And today I wouldn't consider him hated. He is actually probably the best of the last three losing Democratic ticket picks, though that may not be saying much.
OkThen

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 0.35

« Reply #2533 on: June 15, 2020, 06:23:39 PM »

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2534 on: June 15, 2020, 06:26:10 PM »

Wow. I can’t.
If anything, WARREN is the one who comes off as too aggressive.  She's got a personality and style that's somewhat of a turn-off. 

Biden's doing quite well in closing the gap with Trump with male voters.  Warren would definitely widen it again.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2535 on: June 15, 2020, 06:28:53 PM »

Yeah, Warren is just too much of a risk.

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2536 on: June 15, 2020, 06:29:56 PM »

Read up on Tribegate on Twitter.  It's a sneak preview of what a Biden/Warren ticket would entail.

Not to mention picking a geriatric white woman to run with a geriatric white man would be tone-deaf in a post-Floyd era.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2537 on: June 15, 2020, 07:04:08 PM »

Read up on Tribegate on Twitter.  It's a sneak preview of what a Biden/Warren ticket would entail.

Not to mention picking a geriatric white woman to run with a geriatric white man would be tone-deaf in a post-Floyd era.

Some people on Atlas think the Blacks should shut up and get in line and vote for their preferred white favorite.

Calling Kamala aggressive but championing a woman who beat her own damn staff.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2538 on: June 15, 2020, 07:05:50 PM »

Warren and Harris both had their controversies, but in the primaries it hurt Harris more. Warren as shown tonight is a fundraising powerhouse and is preferred by more Dems than anyone else. By all objective measures it should be her.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2539 on: June 15, 2020, 07:08:40 PM »

Read up on Tribegate on Twitter.  It's a sneak preview of what a Biden/Warren ticket would entail.

Some people on Atlas think the Blacks should shut up and get in line and vote for their preferred white favorite.

By that standard I should be Judy Chu or bust. I mean if we're only supporting VPs of our own race.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2540 on: June 15, 2020, 07:14:22 PM »

Hmm, there's a difference between them but I can't think white it might be
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2541 on: June 15, 2020, 07:28:01 PM »

Wait Who brought up Amy?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2542 on: June 15, 2020, 07:34:31 PM »

Warren and Harris both had their controversies, but in the primaries it hurt Harris more. Warren as shown tonight is a fundraising powerhouse and is preferred by more Dems than anyone else. By all objective measures it should be her.
Not really lol.

By that standard I should be Judy Chu or bust. I mean if we're only supporting VPs of our own race.
What are you talking about? Who is only supporting VPs of "our own race"? Huh
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2543 on: June 15, 2020, 07:51:57 PM »

Looks like Harris isn't the only one raking in large amounts for Biden, unsurprisingly. Go Warren!
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2544 on: June 15, 2020, 09:00:37 PM »

Looks like Harris isn't the only one raking in large amounts for Biden, unsurprisingly. Go Warren!

Yeah the idea of picking Harris because of her donor base is extremely stupid. Biden doesn’t need to attract large donors, he needs small ones. He was routinely outraised by Bernie & Warren in the primaries. Picking Warren would activate her donor list and get them to contribute, something I haven’t done yet myself.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2545 on: June 15, 2020, 09:07:51 PM »

Yeah the idea of picking Harris because of her donor base is extremely stupid. Biden doesn’t need to attract large donors, he needs small ones. He was routinely outraised by Bernie & Warren in the primaries. Picking Warren would activate her donor list and get them to contribute, something I haven’t done yet myself.
Warren raised this much money with a few hundred people.  Harris raised $3.5 million with about 1400 people.  If you do basic long division, Harris attracts more donors and the per donor amount is smaller.

It also exposes Warren's abject hypocrisy in going after Pete for his allegedly extravagant fundraisers.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2546 on: June 15, 2020, 09:35:52 PM »

new_patomic

« Reply #2547 on: June 15, 2020, 09:52:34 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2020, 10:00:23 PM by new_patomic »

I mean you can argue Harris or Warren either way.

But it's sort of hilarious to hear people try to make Warren raising nearly twice as much as Harris did into a bad thing. It isn't like we had an entire campaign where one frequently and consistently raised more than the other to bore this out, Warren is better at raising money and has more small donors than Harris.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2548 on: June 15, 2020, 10:00:05 PM »

I just don't think Biden needs a big name like Harris or Warren. Demings just seems like a better fit with Biden.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2549 on: June 15, 2020, 10:32:21 PM »

Imagine Elizabeth Warren as Treasury Secretary... 
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies