Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:34:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 358077 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2020, 04:01:37 AM »

Abrams would be a solid pick.

I like her and it should definitely be a younger Black or Hispanic woman.

If it's not her, then probably Kamala (The Cop).

Dear god please make it stop.

She would literally be a worse pick than Palin.

The list SHOULD be: Harris, Amy, Sinema, Whitmer, Baldwin

The top 2: Harris, Whitmer.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2020, 04:03:24 AM »

Yeah, just throw away a couple Senate seats that the Dems hold ... Roll Eyes

And Whitmer just became Governor in MI. Let her do her job there !
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2020, 04:06:41 AM »

Abrams is not a good pick. Too inexperienced to be pr,ez having just served in the GA legislature. I dunno why she is even discussed only because she's a AA female and did well in a gubernatorial contest in a light red state. She should challenge Kemp for a rematch in 2022.

Biden should pick either Harris for reasons I named already or Klobuchar. The latter has a national profile since her run, is prepared to take over if needed and brings additional strength in the Midwest. And Baldwin is too risky for the senate alone.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2020, 04:24:59 AM »

I asked this a couple of days ago and got no answers, so maybe this time I'll be more lucky.
Which exactly are Klobuchar's apostasies that make her a "moderate" and anathema to the left-wing of the party?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2020, 04:38:50 AM »

I asked this a couple of days ago and got no answers, so maybe this time I'll be more lucky.
Which exactly are Klobuchar's apostasies that make her a "moderate" and anathema to the left-wing of the party?

The term moderate is somewhat diffuse and not specified. It seems to be that in 2020 Dem context a moderate defines a politician who doesn't support M4All, cancellation of all student loan debt, Green New Deal in its entirety or a wealth tax.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2020, 04:40:02 AM »

The term moderate is somewhat diffuse and not specified. It seems to be that in 2020 Dem context a moderate defines a politician who doesn't support M4All, cancellation of all student loan debt, Green New Deal in its entirety or a wealth tax.

That's...most Americans.

I still contend Duckworth is the best pick.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2020, 04:41:38 AM »

Her biggest flaws are being boring and not particularly intelligent.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2020, 04:43:19 AM »

As somebody who hopes that they're considered by their brethren to be a decent human being, I don't know how to express my disgust with this characterization. Jesus f**king christ.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2020, 04:47:12 AM »

As somebody who hopes that they're considered by their brethren to be a decent human being, I don't know how to express my disgust with this characterization. Jesus f**king christ.

She couldn't name the President of Mexico, something that 90% of this site could do. And as Pete pointed out, she sits on the very Committee that deals with trade and such. Klobuchar is a light weight, a paper tiger.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2020, 04:50:34 AM »

In Arizona, the Governor has to
appoint a replacement of the same party.

As for the “just became Governor” ... who cares? Having a good VP pick is much more important. If she became VP then her Democratic Lt. Governor would take over.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2020, 04:53:29 AM »

In Arizona, the Governor has to
appoint a replacement of the same party.

As for the “just became Governor” ... who cares? Having a good VP pick is much more important. If she became VP then her Democratic Lt. Governor would take over.

Well, the "who cares" actually undermines Bidens argument against Trump about political qualifications.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2020, 04:55:26 AM »

She couldn't name the President of Mexico, something that 90% of this site could do. And as Pete pointed out, she sits on the very Committee that deals with trade and such. Klobuchar is a light weight, a paper tiger.

Oh, give me a break! You don't get to go to Yale & then Chicago Law before then rising to become a major metropolitan area's District Attorney, your state's U.S. Senator, & a major candidate for President of the United States if you're "not particularly intelligent," & you know what? I think you know that. But no, one bad brainfart on the scale of a misstep that literally anybody & everybody can make & has made from time to time & all of that's just negated. Obviously.

Next you're gonna tell me that Barack f**king Obama himself was "not particularly intelligent" because of that one time where he said there were 57 states.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2020, 05:04:44 AM »

Oh, give me a break! You don't get to go to Yale & then Chicago Law before then rising to become a major metropolitan area's District Attorney, your state's U.S. Senator, & a major candidate for President of the United States if you're "not particularly intelligent," & you know what? I think you know that. But no, one bad brainfart on the scale of a misstep that literally anybody & everybody can make & has made from time to time & all of that's just negated. Obviously.

Next you're gonna tell me that Barack f**king Obama himself was "not particularly intelligent" because of that one time where he said there were 57 states.

Obama obviously meant 47, and got confused putting it in the context of going to all 50.

Klobuchar is not ready to be president. And if you're this comfortable with someone who knows so little about our neighbors, you're part of the problem.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2020, 05:09:45 AM »

Warren is out. Not that a 70 year old woman who would have a GOP replacement would be particularly appealing in the first place. We also forget that she constantly butted heads with the Obama administration. It’s not going to be her.

I think the 6 are all Senators/Governors: Amy/Kamala/Duckworth/Baldwin/CCM/Lujan Grisham

Lujan Grisham is never mentioned in any leaks/info from the Biden camp, I think that eliminates her. It's CCM if he wants a Hispanic. Whitmer is more likely.

He has made it clear he wants someone who agrees with him on healthcare and education, which rules out Baldwin.

I don't think you can rule out Bottoms and Demings, simply because he may end up viewing Harris as too problematic/too much of a liability (the vetting process is going to involved some polling) and he still decide he needs a black woman on the ticket.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2020, 05:19:28 AM »

Obama obviously meant 47, and got confused putting it in the context of going to all 50.

Klobuchar is not ready to be president. And if you're this comfortable with someone who knows so little about our neighbors, you're part of the problem.

Way to address the actual substance of what I said.

If you're comfortable with haranguing a professional woman about a mere brainfart like it was a war crime, then you're part of a much bigger problem.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2020, 05:22:20 AM »

If you're comfortable with haranguing a professional woman about a mere brainfart like it was a war crime, then you're part of a much bigger problem.

It's not a brainfart, it's a geopolitical question mark and should be treated as such
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2020, 05:34:50 AM »

It's not a brainfart, it's a geopolitical question mark and should be treated as such

You know, I could respond to that "geopolitical question mark" remark by asking you how you think she was even appointed to serve on the Border Security & Immigration subcommittee in the first place if she actually didn't have a more-than-general understanding of Mexico & our situation therein.

But I'm not gonna do that.

I'm just gonna say that you should keep telling yourself whatever you need to say in order to keep justifying the unjustifiable. Meanwhile, the rest of us decent & sane people will be focused on the stuff that actually matters.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2020, 05:53:48 AM »

You know, I could respond to that "geopolitical question mark" remark by asking you how you think she was even appointed to serve on the Border Security & Immigration subcommittee in the first place if she actually didn't have a more-than-general understanding of Mexico & our situation therein.

But I'm not gonna do that.

I'm just gonna say that you should keep telling yourself whatever you need to say in order to keep justifying the unjustifiable. Meanwhile, the rest of us decent & sane people will be focused on the stuff that actually matters.

You think ignorance is acceptable and I don't. That's a fair disagreement. You're wrong, but it's fair.
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2020, 07:41:16 AM »

Why Klobuchar should be Biden's vice presidential pick

But given the key roles that Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin played in electing Trump in the first place, the single most compelling rationale for a VP choice will be regional — that is, finding a candidate who will help Biden in specific Midwestern and Great Lakes states where the 2020 election will be won or lost.

Of these, Pennsylvania and Michigan already show strong signs of trending Democratic. Michigan Democrats netted two additional U.S. House seats in the 2018 mid-terms, as well as electing Gov. Gretchen Whitmire, who remains a strong VP option after being named co-chair of Biden’s campaign. Yet just last week Michigan voters gave Biden a resounding primary victory by more than 16 percent, and polls show Biden with a solid lead over Trump there.

In Pennsylvania, Democrats also netted three House seats in 2018, and made huge gains among suburban women. Polls give Biden a steady lead in the Keystone state as well, which of course includes Biden’s boyhood home of Scranton. Among other traditional Midwestern swing states, Trump won Ohio by a whopping 8 points in 2016, so the Buckeye state will probably stay out of reach for Democrats, unless Biden presides over a wave election.

Not only that, but Klobuchar is among the few Democrats who would be most helpful in bordering Wisconsin, the single state most likely to decide a close election, and one with which Minnesota has a unique cultural affinity. While polls show a very narrow Biden lead over Trump in Wisconsin (and Democrats did defeat Republican Gov. Scott Walker in 2018), analysts from both parties say Wisconsin will probably be the single closest state in country come November, which is precisely why Democrats will be holding their convention in Milwaukee.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/488850-why-klobuchar-should-be-bidens-vp-pick
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2020, 06:44:58 PM »

Why Klobuchar should be Biden's vice presidential pick

But given the key roles that Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin played in electing Trump in the first place, the single most compelling rationale for a VP choice will be regional — that is, finding a candidate who will help Biden in specific Midwestern and Great Lakes states where the 2020 election will be won or lost.

Of these, Pennsylvania and Michigan already show strong signs of trending Democratic. Michigan Democrats netted two additional U.S. House seats in the 2018 mid-terms, as well as electing Gov. Gretchen Whitmire, who remains a strong VP option after being named co-chair of Biden’s campaign. Yet just last week Michigan voters gave Biden a resounding primary victory by more than 16 percent, and polls show Biden with a solid lead over Trump there.

In Pennsylvania, Democrats also netted three House seats in 2018, and made huge gains among suburban women. Polls give Biden a steady lead in the Keystone state as well, which of course includes Biden’s boyhood home of Scranton. Among other traditional Midwestern swing states, Trump won Ohio by a whopping 8 points in 2016, so the Buckeye state will probably stay out of reach for Democrats, unless Biden presides over a wave election.

Not only that, but Klobuchar is among the few Democrats who would be most helpful in bordering Wisconsin, the single state most likely to decide a close election, and one with which Minnesota has a unique cultural affinity. While polls show a very narrow Biden lead over Trump in Wisconsin (and Democrats did defeat Republican Gov. Scott Walker in 2018), analysts from both parties say Wisconsin will probably be the single closest state in country come November, which is precisely why Democrats will be holding their convention in Milwaukee.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/488850-why-klobuchar-should-be-bidens-vp-pick

Klownbachar is an obnoxious, egomaniacal scumbag who can best be described as a more inauthentic and less likable version of Hillary Clinton.  She’s easily the second worst pick Biden could make after Stacy Abrams.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2020, 06:48:18 PM »

Klobuchar is too unexciting and too moderate to really add anything to the ticket. She would have been a near-perfect running mate for Sanders, but not for Biden.

I think it's only going to be one of these three: Baldwin, Duckworth, or Harris.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2020, 08:12:52 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2020, 08:17:45 PM by Ogre Mage »

I am not a "true leftist" and don't presume to speak for them.  But some criticisms of Kloubchar I've heard from progressives --

She won't support Medicare for All, free four-year college or a wealth tax.  Some say the tough on crime policies she supported as a District Attorney were draconian.

As an LGBTQ American, I did notice that Klobuchar was not out front on same-sex marriage when that battle was going on.  For years she hedged on the issue.  President Obama endorsed same-sex marriage around May 2012.  Shortly after that, Klobuchar did the same.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2020, 08:17:00 PM »

She won't support Medicare for All, free four-year college or a wealth tax.  

The pertinent question here should be whether she disagrees on principle (she considers them bad policy) or simply because there is still no credible plan to fund them.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2020, 08:23:57 PM »

Honestly, if the list is Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, Amy Klobuchar, Tammy Duckworth, Tammy Baldwin, Cortez-Masto, Demmings; he's most likely going to be Kamala Harris or Amy Klobuchar to be VP, his criteria is for someone who agrees with him completely and who he gets along with
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2020, 08:34:52 PM »

She won't support Medicare for All, free four-year college or a wealth tax.  

The pertinent question here should be whether she disagrees on principle (she considers them bad policy) or simply because there is still no credible plan to fund them.

Specifically on free four-year college, Klobuchar said if she was a "magic genie" and we could afford it, she would do it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies