CO-SEN Megathread: Cory In The House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 06:38:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CO-SEN Megathread: Cory In The House
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 33
Author Topic: CO-SEN Megathread: Cory In The House  (Read 59649 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: August 23, 2019, 05:42:33 PM »

DSCC essentially endorses Hickenlooper

This is why I left.

Fair
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #426 on: August 23, 2019, 05:43:57 PM »

While we’re on the topic of RRH and their great commentary, today they are currently talking about how Tillis is in great shape for re-election and that Colorado is still in play
I remember when a single poll showed Edwards only barely ahead in LA RRH was talking about how badly he'd get blanched.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #427 on: August 23, 2019, 09:45:32 PM »

I have lost any semblence of respect for the DSCC. They are shameful
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #428 on: August 23, 2019, 11:21:06 PM »

Did anybody on here actually think anybody other than Hickenlooper was going to win this primary once he got in? He was the governor for christ sakes. We have no time for the far left trying to make a Sanders vs Clinton out of every primary when RBG may be on her last leg.
Arson Plus
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #429 on: August 24, 2019, 06:04:47 AM »

Did anybody on here actually think anybody other than Hickenlooper was going to win this primary once he got in? He was the governor for christ sakes. We have no time for the far left trying to make a Sanders vs Clinton out of every primary when RBG may be on her last leg.
Andrew Romanoff almost defeated Bennet in the primary in 2010, when Bennet was endorsed by the then President and lost to Coffman in 2014 by 9 points which the 2016 candidate lost by 9 points.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #430 on: August 24, 2019, 08:04:42 AM »

The honorable copypasta endorsement.

I’ve kind of missed hearing about how candidates are strong on the border, crime, and 2nd amendment, and love our military and “our vets.” I wonder if Trump will call out Hickenlooper for being weak on the border, crime, and 2A, and not loving our military and our vets.
JG

« Reply #431 on: August 24, 2019, 08:09:11 AM »

Andrew Romanoff almost defeated Bennet in the primary in 2010, when Bennet was endorsed by the then President and lost to Coffman in 2014 by 9 points which the 2016 candidate lost by 9 points.

Wasn't Romanoff endorsed by Bill Clinton (who was more popular than Obama back then), though? I doubt any major Democratic players will endorse someone other than Hickenlooper this time around.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #432 on: August 24, 2019, 08:31:57 AM »

Wasn't Romanoff endorsed by Bill Clinton (who was more popular than Obama back then), though? I doubt any major Democratic players will endorse someone other than Hickenlooper this time around.

Well, for a more recent example, Jared Polis only won 44% of the vote for his run for governor. I expect Hickenlooper to win, but I dont expect him to win the primary by a large majority. It will most likely be a plurality victory.
Epaminondas

« Reply #433 on: August 24, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »

RBG dying adds little to your argument.

If she buys the farm before the general, slimy Moscow Mitch will ram through another fanatic.
If it's after and Trump loses, the Dem president gets to nominate.
If it's after and Trump wins, the Dems aren't claiming the Senate.

Hickenlooper winning rather than a progressive changes nothing here.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #434 on: August 24, 2019, 10:40:39 AM »

The Democrat is going to win this state regardless. These are the contests where people should fight for their values. If Hickenlooper can’t stand scrutiny in a Likely D state he should drop out.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #435 on: August 24, 2019, 10:58:45 AM »

Look, there are perfectly legitimately reasons to dislike Hickenlooper but for those of you who do dislike him - seriously, come to terms with it now. He's inevitable. You'll save yourself a lot of avoidable anguish if you just accept it.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #436 on: August 24, 2019, 11:02:56 AM »

Romanoff's had a problem in that he always seems to be playing the hand dealt to him wrong in one way or another. Its hard to remember that in the 2000s, he was a rising star in statewide politics. Then he ran against Bennett, and rather then take the Obama Admin Job (which has worked out splendidly as resume boosters for a bunch of 2018 dems) he goes on to lose the primary. Then he runs for the swingy district of CO06, but has the luck to be running in the republican wave of 2014. Now he tried to revive his career for Senate and will be swept aside by Hickenlooper, not because of any particular fault of him, but because statistically, non-hated governors (think Brownback as an example of Hated) have one of the highest success rates at running for senate, if its a immediate or near-immediate transition from one office to the other. The popularity and name recognition granted by such a transition is just too overbearing.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #437 on: August 24, 2019, 11:52:06 AM »

Look, there are perfectly legitimately reasons to dislike Hickenlooper but for those of you who do dislike him - seriously, come to terms with it now. He's inevitable. You'll save yourself a lot of avoidable anguish if you just accept it.

It may be the case that he ends up winning, but that doesn't mean we should allow him to get away with being more to the right of the average Coloradan. Recent statewide winners in this state have been more left-leaning than him, so in the event that he does win, we should try our best to push him more to the left of where he currently is, and if he fails to do that, I would gladly welcome primary challengers who are to the left of him.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #438 on: August 24, 2019, 12:47:17 PM »

It may be the case that he ends up winning, but that doesn't mean we should allow him to get away with being more to the right of the average Coloradan. Recent statewide winners in this state have been more left-leaning than him, so in the event that he does win, we should try our best to push him more to the left of where he currently is, and if he fails to do that, I would gladly welcome primary challengers who are to the left of him.

Lmao what? Bolded part is one of the most bizarre claims I have ever seen on this site.

Jared Polis being the only Democrat on the ballot and winning in a D wave year does not make John Hickenlooper "more to the right" of the average Coloradan.

Like I get and agree with the point that you're that CO Dems can and should nominate someone who has right of center of the rest of the party on a handful of issues but what you said is either a careless typo or shows you have no idea how the state of Colorado works.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #439 on: August 24, 2019, 12:54:37 PM »

Far-left Denocrat will lose Colorado to moderate Republican in 2026 (2nd Democrat midterm) (Scenario, where Hickenlooper elected in 2020, primaried by far-left Democrat in 2026 and lost primary). So, Hickenlooper is the best Democrat who can win Senate race in 2020 and then in 2026
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #440 on: August 24, 2019, 01:58:14 PM »

The nuance I would add here is that while I respect more leftwing Dems wanting a more progressive candidate (and I think it's laudable from some posters here to draw a distinction between more conservative states and places like Colorado where a leftist candidate probably can win) I think there's still a point to not declare civil war everytime you lose a primary. Even the most right-wing Democrats are a lot better than Republicans.

Like, fight out the primary and sure put pressure on the guy to vote more left, but don't BernieBro it.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #441 on: August 24, 2019, 03:10:39 PM »

The nuance I would add here is that while I respect more leftwing Dems wanting a more progressive candidate (and I think it's laudable from some posters here to draw a distinction between more conservative states and places like Colorado where a leftist candidate probably can win) I think there's still a point to not declare civil war everytime you lose a primary. Even the most right-wing Democrats are a lot better than Republicans.

Like, fight out the primary and sure put pressure on the guy to vote more left, but don't BernieBro it.
So we should just sit back and let this guy win? This is someone who compared bernie's policies to stalin!  HE's the divisive one! Healthcare for all, single payer, 15 minimum wage, and raising taxes on the rich are things that need to happen and he is completely against them. Therefore I will fight tooth and the nail to make sure he loses the primary!
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #442 on: August 24, 2019, 03:12:20 PM »

So we should just sit back and let this guy win? This is someone who compared bernie's policies to stalin!  HE's the divisive one! Healthcare for all, single payer, 15 minimum wage, and raising taxes on the rich are things that need to happen and he is completely against them. Therefore I will fight tooth and the nail to make sure he loses the primary!

See this is precisely what I mean. I agree he's too centrist and hopelessly moderate and maybe someone more progressive would be preferable.

But he's inevitable

Getting worked up over it like this is just going to make you bitter in the long run. It's not worth it.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #443 on: August 24, 2019, 03:13:47 PM »

Far-left Denocrat will lose Colorado to moderate Republican in 2026 (2nd Democrat midterm) (Scenario, where Hickenlooper elected in 2020, primaried by far-left Democrat in 2026 and lost primary). So, Hickenlooper is the best Democrat who can win Senate race in 2020 and then in 2026
Colorado is gone for republicans and by 2026 it will be further gone. Unless we run some anti white lunatic like Saira Rao we will win. That includes people like Neguse. So the electability argument is null here
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #444 on: August 25, 2019, 12:12:43 AM »

I'm not a huge fan of Hickenlooper on account of his centrism (though that may have just been the way he was trying to find a niche in the presidential race), but if we can put this race away early, the odds of winning the Senate go up. Resources are limited and it's always better to bank seats early.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #445 on: August 25, 2019, 12:38:03 AM »

The opposition to Hickenlooper by so many of this forum's Democrats helps to show why Sanders and Warren are doing so well in the Democratic primaries thus far. The Atlas community on here seems to be representative of a progressive, left-wing impulse among the Democratic base.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #446 on: August 25, 2019, 01:10:57 AM »

The opposition to Hickenlooper by so many of this forum's Democrats helps to show why Sanders and Warren are doing so well in the Democratic primaries thus far. The Atlas community on here seems to be representative of a progressive, left-wing impulse among the Democratic base.

I'm considering what's doable in the general as well. There's a balance between pragmatism and ideology. Colorado could easily elect someone well to the left of Hickenlooper in the general, albeit almost certainly with a significantly lower margin. However, I certainly wasn't one of those calling for a primary against Manchin. That's lunacy. Manchin is as good as Democrats are going to get out of WV right now and should be happy that he won.

Democrats have been burned in the past by having moderates and conservatives in seats that could easily have someone well to the left. Lieberman cost us the public option for the ACA. Similarly, we lost votes when the EFCA could've actually been passed and signed into law.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #447 on: September 03, 2019, 01:24:22 PM »

Mike Johnston is OUT.

Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #448 on: September 03, 2019, 01:25:12 PM »

Mike Johnston is OUT.

Benefits hickenlooper.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #449 on: September 03, 2019, 01:29:34 PM »

The Hick will ride into the senate quite easily. And he'll make a fine senator to work with President Joe Biden.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies