China calls on Canada to free Huawei CFO or face consequences
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:25:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  China calls on Canada to free Huawei CFO or face consequences
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: China calls on Canada to free Huawei CFO or face consequences  (Read 1178 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2018, 09:52:07 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-huawei/china-calls-on-canada-to-free-huawei-cfo-or-face-consequences-idUSKBN1O70HU
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Seems like our relationship with the Chinese is irreparably damaged. Hope that doesn’t translate to South China Seas escalation.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 08:57:17 AM »

Seems like our relationship with the Chinese is irreparably damaged. Hope that doesn’t translate to South China Seas escalation.
Do you know anything about anything?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 01:38:46 PM »

Well the situation escalated into tit-for-tats.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-icg/former-canadian-diplomat-detained-in-china-sources-idUSKBN1OA1EB
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Wang
Rookie
China

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 03:53:27 AM »

China should refuse to take part in any trade talks with Trump until Canada returns her back to China. If Canada extradites her to the US, China should cut off all diplomatic relationships with Canada and put more tariffs on American goods.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 05:55:47 AM »

China should refuse to take part in any trade talks with Trump until Canada returns her back to China. If Canada extradites her to the US, China should cut off all diplomatic relationships with Canada and put more tariffs on American goods.
yeah, they totally should!  That would teach us all to get out of bed with the PRC right quick.  We're slowly learning the lesson anyway, this would just hurry that a long.  There are lots of other sh**tty places that can make our cheap crap for us.  It might cost us a bit more, but at least they won't steal our designs.  Yes, I understand that communist regimes trying to catch up have to steal from the clever capitalistic pig dogs, how else are you going to be competitive?  Certainly not through creativity or hard work.

and please please please be a pro PRC poster, we deseperatly need one.  That's a really hard job to fill here.  Very challenging, I'm sure you're more than up for the task.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 09:37:11 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/11/technology/huawei-executive-canada-bail-decision.html

Released on $7.5m bail under the conditions of electronic monitoring and 24-hour surveillance.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-huawei-tech-exclusive/exclusive-trump-says-he-could-intervene-in-u-s-case-against-huawei-cfo-idUSKBN1OA2PQ

Trump making vague word salad statement about the possibility of him personally getting involved.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »

Or maybe we should let, you know, the legal process play out...
Wang
Rookie
China

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »

Their holding her on trumped up charges (no pun intended), that are based on America’s illegal sanctions on Iran (Iran is not building Nuclear weapons). As a proud first-generation Chinese American (I was born in Beijing and hold dual citizenship), I stand with the Peoples Republic of China in their efforts to withstand America’s deranged Neoconservative foreign policy.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 12:17:04 PM »

Their holding her on trumped up charges (no pun intended), that are based on America’s illegal sanctions on Iran (Iran is not building Nuclear weapons). As a proud first-generation Chinese American (I was born in Beijing and hold dual citizenship), I stand with the Peoples Republic of China in their efforts to withstand America’s deranged Neoconservative foreign policy.

1. China (technically, the US, too) doesn't recognize dual citizenship.
2. The multiple contradictions in both being a "proud" Chinese-American, yet "standing" with China over the US in foreign policy while simultaneously openly rejecting the well-known (and well-respected by Chinese citizens) Chinese policy against dual citizenship

This is why I say that we need a real war (not a trade war) with China. Unfortunately, most of Atlas has never lived there, so they cannot even comprehend the dragon.
Wang
Rookie
China

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2018, 12:26:52 PM by Wang »

2. The multiple contradictions in both being a "proud" Chinese-American, yet "standing" with China over the US in foreign policy while simultaneously openly rejecting the well-known (and well-respected by Chinese citizens) Chinese policy against dual citizenship

This is why I say that we need a real war (not a trade war) with China. Unfortunately, most of Atlas has never lived there, so they cannot even comprehend the dragon.
I’m actually not a American citizen, I’m a Chinese citizen living in the United States on a student visa. However, I didn’t want to excite anyone’s Xenophobia, so I made up the dual citizen thing to calm people’s fears. I also find it abhorrent that your advocating for America to attack a country that has not attacked them, just to stop that countries rise as a global power.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 01:13:43 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2018, 01:28:46 PM by PSOL »

Our international standing right now is going down the hole. A war would surely create a massive divide on our allies participation, with the rise of populists that don’t want the current order and whatnot. Without our European allies, we can’t bring out full force on a war against China.

Besides, China itself can be warred away by peaceful measures, the corralling of key states and Arms buildup in the South China Sea comes to mind.
Omega21

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 04:09:05 PM »

yeah, they totally should!  That would teach us all to get out of bed with the PRC right quick.  We're slowly learning the lesson anyway, this would just hurry that a long.  There are lots of other sh**tty places that can make our cheap crap for us.  It might cost us a bit more, but at least they won't steal our designs.  Yes, I understand that communist regimes trying to catch up have to steal from the clever capitalistic pig dogs, how else are you going to be competitive?  Certainly not through creativity or hard work.

and please please please be a pro PRC poster, we deseperatly need one.  That's a really hard job to fill here.  Very challenging, I'm sure you're more than up for the task.

China is no longer just a place that makes cheap sh**t, and even though I would choose America any day of the week, they do deserve a certain amount of respect, since the time it took them to go from nothing to the biggest Economy in the World is a feat.

The last time America underestimated an enemy, 60,000 Men died to rice farmers who had no training and no air support, and the US was forced to retreat (both by internal and external factors), so don't repeat it.

They are a dictatorship, but so is Saudi Arabia, so you can't hate on one and not hate on the other.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 04:16:16 PM »

I hate plenty on S.Arabia.  They are way bigger dicks than the PRC, but they do it to far fewer people.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 02:04:11 AM »

This is what I think the West should do with China:

China has become a threat (and you can even argue an enemy) and they need to be dealt with before they become an even worse threat.

These are the actions that should be taken:

- They should be kicked out of the WTO immediately

- They should start to Trade Less With them with the goal of having to trade with them at a minimum(US should agree to sign TPP, and do other trade agreements like LAFTA and a free trade deal with countries like India)  

- They should take immediate action that counters their influence in the Pacific, Asia, and Africa

Yes they are gaining influence in Africa: https://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourdoukoutas/2018/08/04/china-is-treating-africa-the-same-way-european-colonists-did/#49f93d7d298b

While I disagree with Trump on Trade in General, I think he is Right on China though its for the Wrong Reasons.  China have stolen countless intellectual property , have cheated on trade in general, and are becoming a threat to democracy around the world in general.

While I am a huge supporter of Free Trade in General, I dont think it can be done with China because they dont believe in either. So its finally time for the G7 and the Free World has a whole to realize this and take action
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 02:17:58 AM »

When your country acts like a gangster it says all you need to know.

A Chinese business executive is arrested for violating sanctions on a rogue terrorist state, and the China's answer, "release the executive or face consequences"

A Saudi orchestrated plot eliminates an American journalist and the first response is, "keep your mouth shut or enjoy $400 a barrel oil".

Remember when free trade was suppose to liberate the world? All it seems to have done here is allow terrorist and gangster regimes to extort us into silence and inaction while they spread tyranny, extremism and terror around the globe.
Omega21

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 05:33:32 AM »

When your country acts like a gangster it says all you need to know.

A Chinese business executive is arrested for violating sanctions on a rogue terrorist state, and the China's answer, "release the executive or face consequences"

A Saudi orchestrated plot eliminates an American journalist and the first response is, "keep your mouth shut or enjoy $400 a barrel oil".

Remember when free trade was suppose to liberate the world? All it seems to have done here is allow terrorist and gangster regimes to extort us into silence and inaction while they spread tyranny, extremism and terror around the globe.

I agree.

It is very hypocritical to be BFF with S. Arabia, but bash a Chinese company for trading with Iran, as they are probably a bit less evil, and less powerful than S. Arabia.

That's the main issue I always had with American leaders, hypocrisy.

Not saying Russia, China or others don't do it, but I always expect more of America than the other less free states.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 10:36:12 AM »

Chinese government has responded by detaining a Canadian ex-diplomat living in China for 'endangering national security'.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 10:49:47 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2018, 10:52:48 AM by Trump is obviously guilty but I don't care »

China is no longer just a place that makes cheap sh**t, and even though I would choose America any day of the week, they do deserve a certain amount of respect, since the time it took them to go from nothing to the biggest Economy in the World is a feat.

This is an appalling display of ignorance. China has never been "nothing" - they are the greatest and most enduring civilization in human history. Even when they were on their knees in 1945 at one of the lowest points in their history, they were important enough to be founding members of the UN Security Council. Singapore is a tiger that rose out of nothing - China is the dragon that is reclaiming its rightful place on top of the world. It is our job to resist.

"You have the watches, we have the time" sums up China's ambitions perfectly.

(I realize dull0's post was even worse, but he's a lost cause)
Omega21

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 11:33:51 AM »

This is an appalling display of ignorance. China has never been "nothing" - they are the greatest and most enduring civilization in human history. Even when they were on their knees in 1945 at one of the lowest points in their history, they were important enough to be founding members of the UN Security Council. Singapore is a tiger that rose out of nothing - China is the dragon that is reclaiming its rightful place on top of the world. It is our job to resist.

"You have the watches, we have the time" sums up China's ambitions perfectly.

(I realize dull0's post was even worse, but he's a lost cause)

During the Famine, they lost 15+ Million people (5% of the USA today), so yes, economically and politically they were nothing compared to today.

I am not referring to their culture, people, or anything else, but simply comparing the economic and political power they have today, to their situation before, and if you look at any economic chart you will also see that what they were years ago compared to today is almost nothing.

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 07:05:16 PM »

Not denying the theft of designs (though it's unlikely that stopping exports from China will end it) but to seriously claim that China's massive rise in the last 40 years has not involved enormous amount of very hard work and a great deal of creativity is at very least appalling ignorance about the world.

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 09:17:40 PM »

There are lots of other sh**tty places that can make our cheap crap for us.  It might cost us a bit more, but at least they won't steal our designs.
You're pretty naive if you think other countries won't try to get their hands on advanced technology by hook or by crook just because their leaders don't venerate the hammer and sickle.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 02:38:48 AM »

There are lots of other sh**tty places that can make our cheap crap for us.  It might cost us a bit more, but at least they won't steal our designs.
You're pretty naive if you think other countries won't try to get their hands on advanced technology by hook or by crook just because their leaders don't venerate the hammer and sickle.
I'm sure it's possible, hell, I'm sure it's even happened, but does BMW really have to worry that Mexico might steal it's designs if it makes it's SUV there?...as much as they do if they make them in the PRC?
Not denying the theft of designs (though it's unlikely that stopping exports from China will end it) but to seriously claim that China's massive rise in the last 40 years has not involved enormous amount of very hard work and a great deal of creativity is at very least appalling ignorance about the world.
Yes I'm sure the people in charged worked the prisoners and the peasants very hard, and a lot of the creativity went into "cooking their books".

yes yes yes, their rise has been impressive and I have admit I have clear biases against the PRC and eastern woo based medicine, but that's because they both suck.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 03:06:32 AM »

Is this a bad time to point out that stolen blueprints were smuggled out of Britain and used to build some of the early textile mills in New England?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »

I'm sure it's possible, hell, I'm sure it's even happened, but does BMW really have to worry that Mexico might steal it's designs if it makes it's SUV there?...as much as they do if they make them in the PRC?
An SUV is low-tech enough that anyone can obtain its design by, you know, buying one. All they lack by now are chips and aircraft engines.

And, it's well known that the governments of Japan and South Korea sponsored similar efforts to acquire technology a generation ago. Heck, a certain Middle Eastern country commits so much industrial espionage against the US that it's forbidden to even mention it. That same country then makes a killing openly selling the technology to China.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies