AOC's latest gaffe shows just how expensive Medicare for all would be (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:23:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AOC's latest gaffe shows just how expensive Medicare for all would be (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AOC's latest gaffe shows just how expensive Medicare for all would be  (Read 4121 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: December 08, 2018, 06:01:58 AM »

link - Vox
You must be logged in to read this quote.
The entire budget of the US military throughout it's history isn't $21T.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 07:17:58 AM »

You guys should pass your ideas on to the people that can't come up with any then.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 08:26:39 AM »

I'm no fan of AOC.
That said, conservatives' obsession with her (especially when they turn a blind eye to the constant stream of BS flowing from the White House) is deeply disturbing and ought to be studied by psychiatrists.

Cortez Derangement Syndrome
I've said at least 40 bad things about Trump for every bad thing I've said about AOC.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 01:46:55 AM »

And if we're talking about fitness for Congress, it makes sense to address the presidency too, but that would require several new threads for the 2 years worth of insane statements/actions of Donald J. Trump.
do you think we've missed something?  That would be weird.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 02:30:59 AM »

I'm no fan of AOC.
That said, conservatives' obsession with her (especially when they turn a blind eye to the constant stream of BS flowing from the White House) is deeply disturbing and ought to be studied by psychiatrists.

Lol it doesn't take a professional to see that conservatives' focus on liberal women like Pelosi and AOC is because they are deeply misogynist.
First it's ignorantly said that I don't make fun of Trump enough, now I'm a woman hater too?  Funny!

Imagine, if you will, if someone you guys didn't like had, lets say, added an "e" to the end of word that didn't normally have an "e" at the end, or asked what an "aleppo" was....how would you react?   Now what if that person just kept doing things like that?  Yeah, we have a stupid President.  I 100% agree.  AOC is nowhere near as evil/narcissistic/up her own ass as Trump is either.  But she ain't smart, or at least she's not smart enough to keep her mouth shut when she doesn't know something.

Like I've said before, if you want to be blind to this fact, that's fine (it actually adds a lot to the comedy of the situation, so I thank you for that), most of you will see it in time.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 05:55:09 AM »

This isn't a gaffe- it's a minor argument over policy where surprise surprise someone who hasn't got a PHD in health policy made a mistake.
you're misunderstanding my point.  The gaffe was her thinking the DoD had $21T lost somewhere, they haven't.  Their budget for it's entire history isn't $21T.  (to be fair, the DoD looks much worse here than AOC.  The accounting is just complete ass.  It doesn't matter if it's incompetence, on purpose or just because of the size of the bureaucracy, it needs to get fixed.  Freaking ridiculous.)  Her suggesting this money could be used to help, I believe the numbers were that $21T would fund 2/3rds of a ten year plan, just points out how stinking expensive it would be.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 04:17:10 AM »

I am amused how many ostensibly conservative and America-first posters seem to advocate for the US to continue to subsidize the rest of the world by providing research and developments others are using, but US (and, to a significant degree, US government) pay for. Where is this sudden internationalist impulse coming from?
we've subsidized their military for more than half a century, why should health care be any different?
While, I would agree, US may be the best place to be a doctor or a medical researcher, I am not sure it is the best place to be a patient. In terms of life expectancy at birth US is somewhere between Taiwan and Bahrain, closer to Eastern Europe and Latin America than to the major Western European or Asian nations. And citizens of those nations get a few extra years of active life at a fraction of the cost. Unless one cares more about an MRI scan than about being, actually, alive, I do not see why would anybody express so much pride over the availability of the former. I mean, it is not like being inside an MRI machine is so much fun Smiley
this only makes sense if you believe the difference in life expectancy is 100% health care related.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies