January 6, 2001
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:39:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  January 6, 2001
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: January 6, 2001  (Read 3657 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2005, 12:21:59 PM »

On January 6, 2001, a joint session of the US Senate and the US House of Represenatatives confirmed George W. Bush the winner of the 2000 presidential election.

However, the Congressional Black Caucus put up a fight.

Several members of the C.B.C. objected to the results based upon the alleged mass disenfranchisement of black voters in Florida.  Now, these objections are only investigated if signed by both a member of the Senate and a member of the House.  None of the objections were signed by a Senator.

------------

Now, here's the what-if: Lets say a Democratic Senator signs one of the objections.  What happens? 

Most likely, we have President Thurmond, as he was the PPT of the Senate at the time. 

Still, I'd like to hear feedback.
------

Here's a link to the CNN News article:

http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/stories/01/06/electoral.vote/

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 12:31:50 PM »

hmm...interesting scenario. Civil war, maybe? Grin
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 05:27:57 PM »

Ah, utopia. The Populists, conservative and evangelicals in one nation and the sane people in the rest. Pity we can't deport the michael moore types too.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 05:29:00 PM »

On January 6, 2001, a joint session of the US Senate and the US House of Represenatatives confirmed George W. Bush the winner of the 2000 presidential election.

However, the Congressional Black Caucus put up a fight.

Several members of the C.B.C. objected to the results based upon the alleged mass disenfranchisement of black voters in Florida.  Now, these objections are only investigated if signed by both a member of the Senate and a member of the House.  None of the objections were signed by a Senator.

------------

Now, here's the what-if: Lets say a Democratic Senator signs one of the objections.  What happens? 

Most likely, we have President Thurmond, as he was the PPT of the Senate at the time. 

Still, I'd like to hear feedback.
------

Here's a link to the CNN News article:

http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/stories/01/06/electoral.vote/

So an action of the Congressional Black Caucus leads to President Strom Thurmond? Smiley
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 05:39:33 PM »

Waitasec... isn't Speaker of the House the next in line, meaning we have President Hastert and not President Thurmond?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 05:41:08 PM »

Waitasec... isn't Speaker of the House the next in line, meaning we have President Hastert and not President Thurmond?

I think that only applies when the President/VP are killed.  When there is no president ready to take office on Jan 20, it goes to the PPT.  I could be wrong but I think that's what the law is.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 06:55:11 PM »

Is it me, or is the oldest Senator always PPT?  Is that a rule or something because I think Ted Stevens is PPT now, and he's pretty old.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 08:22:10 PM »

Ah, utopia. The Populists, conservative and evangelicals in one nation and the sane people in the rest.
Grin
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sad

j/k Wink
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 04:55:31 PM »

So an action of the Congressional Black Caucus leads to President Strom Thurmond? Smiley
That would be ironic Cheesy

I'm fairly certain that Hastert would become President though. Or possibly, the house would elect Bush as Speaker and he'd take the oath as President.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 05:09:15 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2005, 05:10:49 PM by Bacon King »

IIRC, in the midst of all the 2000 election trouble, Hastert said he wouldn't accept the presidency if it went down to him, and thus, we'd end up with a president Thurmond.

Is it me, or is the oldest Senator always PPT?  Is that a rule or something because I think Ted Stevens is PPT now, and he's pretty old.
It's the oldest (longest serving?) of the majority party.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 11:08:44 PM »

More likely they'd elect Bush as Speaker...ironically, there's nothing in the Constitution to say you must be a member of the House to be Speaker.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 04:44:30 PM »

I think that only applies when the President/VP are killed.  When there is no president ready to take office on Jan 20, it goes to the PPT.  I could be wrong but I think that's what the law is.

The relevant law is Title 3, Section 19 of the US Code.

If, by reason of death, resignation, removal from office, inability, or failure to qualify, there is neither a President nor Vice President to discharge the powers and duties of the office of President, then the Speaker of the House of Representatives shall, upon his resignation as Speaker and as Representative in Congress, act as President.

However, I don't honestly see us getting that far and having a lack of a qualified President on the 20th.

If we suppose that the CBC had gotten a Senator to sign, we have the following scenario under Title 3, Section 15

Upon such reading of any such certificate or paper, the President of the Senate shall call for objections, if any. Every objection shall be made in writing, and shall state clearly and concisely, and without argument, the ground thereof, and shall be signed by at least one Senator and one Member of the House of Representatives before the same shall be received. When all objections so made to any vote or paper from a State shall have been received and read, the Senate shall thereupon withdraw, and such objections shall be submitted to the Senate for its decision; and the Speaker of the House of Representatives shall, in like manner, submit such objections to the House of Representatives for its decision; and no electoral vote or votes from any State which shall have been regularly given by electors whose appointment has been lawfully certified to according to section 6 of this title from which but one return has been received shall be rejected, but the two Houses concurrently may reject the vote or votes when they agree that such vote or votes have not been so regularly given by electors whose appointment has been so certified.

Essentially, the electoral votes can only be thrown out if both Houses agree. Assuming a party lines vote, the House would vote to accept the FL votes and the Senate (after a tie break by VP Gore) would vote to reject.

The votes therefore count and Bush is elected President.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies