If a white male is the nom... should
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:47:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  If a white male is the nom... should
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If a white male is the nom... should  (Read 1489 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2018, 11:01:00 PM »

looking for Productive convo... not knee jerk canned response!

Considering the there is usually no "most qualified VP" but rather a list of "sufficiently qualified VP candidates"  ... and that VP is usually chosen to achieve ticket balance or reinforcement of some sort- in the past this has tended to be related to geography or age... and given that the Dem party is overwhelmingly supported by voters who are not white males...

Do you think it should be a priority for a white male nominee to choose a VP who is a female or a minority or both  (after all- when choosing a cabinet, the general consensus now is that the gender and racial make up should be diverse.. or at least somewhat representative of the population)?
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 11:11:43 PM »

Yes, Beto's VP will be either non-white or a woman, or both.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 11:21:39 PM »

I don't really care as a non dem but I think the dems would probably prefer a non white or atleast a female as a VP

Of the 3 major white males who actually have a chance in 2020(id say they have a >60%) of winning the nomination

Beto-Any of the 3 midwest 50's senators. Duckworth is from Chicago but did appeal to downstate Illinois. Baldwin is from Madison but rural WI doesn't have a problem with her or the last choice is Klobuchar who is actually an undefeatable titan in MN.

Bernie or Biden- I guess Harris is the best pick to get a more coastal balance.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 11:25:02 PM »

Yes. The VP is about optics and satisfying the base. If a white man wins the nomination, the least he could do is choose a candidate that looks like their base to affirm the coalition of the party.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 11:39:58 PM »

Yes. The VP is about optics and satisfying the base. If a white man wins the nomination, the least he could do is choose a candidate that looks like their base to affirm the coalition of the party.

There is no such thing as a candidate that "looks like the base"
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:48:09 PM »

GOOD POINT. I mean how do you combine the looks of a 100 pound Portland homeless hipster with a hefty Georgia black lady in church clothes?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 11:57:16 PM »

It can't be an obvious token pick like Geraldine Ferraro or Sarah Palin. They did not help the ticket.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 12:12:27 AM »

GOOD POINT. I mean how do you combine the looks of a 100 pound Portland homeless hipster with a hefty Georgia black lady in church clothes?
Stacey Abrams/Bim Ditson ticket. Problem solved.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 02:54:32 AM »

If Beto wins he should definitely pick A.) A progressive or liberal (since he is a moderate) B.) a woman and C.) a person of color

If he picks another white New Democrat who pretends to be a progressive I'm voting left-wing third party (and I'm in NJ so it doesn't matter).
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 02:56:38 AM »

If Beto wins he should definitely pick A.) A progressive or liberal (since he is a moderate) B.) a woman and C.) a person of color

If he picks another white New Democrat who pretends to be a progressive I'm voting left-wing third party (and I'm in NJ so it doesn't matter).
Why? And yes it does matter! That’s want a lot of people in 2016 said and look what happened.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 03:10:25 AM »

Why? And yes it does matter! That’s want a lot of people in 2016 said and look what happened.

Because Beto's voting record shows him to be NOT a progressive and more of a centrist New Dem. We've already had 8 years of Clinton and Obama and nothing is changing in this country. We don't need centrists like them or Beto, and if Beto doesn't pick a progressive (not like it would matter with him at the top of the ticket) then I won't be voting for him. Furthermore, I wouldn't feel comfortable voting for someone whom I don't trust would advance progressive legislation that targets poverty, environmental catastrophe, discrimination, income insecurity, college affordability, and healthcare. Beto's vague words and flimsy rhetoric on all those is NOT promising, and his centrist voting record gives me even more pause. I want the country to move in a social democratic, progressive way, and someone like Beto doesn't seem like the best bet and that's why I'm worried about his candidacy and don't want him to be our nominee.

Even if he does pick a progressive VP, it won't matter and would not really assuage my discomfort in voting for someone who is too moderate for my liking.

And did third-party voting really allow Hillary to lose in those states? I can see that, but me writing in a progressive candidate or left-wing third party in NEW JERSEY won't be a big deal. Plus, y'all are acting like he's gonna win in a landslide so who cares anyways?
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 03:18:58 AM »

Because Beto's voting record shows him to be NOT a progressive and more of a centrist New Dem. We've already had 8 years of Clinton and Obama and nothing is changing in this country. We don't need centrists like them or Beto, and if Beto doesn't pick a progressive (not like it would matter with him at the top of the ticket) then I won't be voting for him. Furthermore, I wouldn't feel comfortable voting for someone whom I don't trust would advance progressive legislation that targets poverty, environmental catastrophe, discrimination, income insecurity, college affordability, and healthcare. Beto's vague words and flimsy rhetoric on all those is NOT promising, and his centrist voting record gives me even more pause. I want the country to move in a social democratic, progressive way, and someone like Beto doesn't seem like the best bet and that's why I'm worried about his candidacy and don't want him to be our nominee.

Even if he does pick a progressive VP, it won't matter and would not really assuage my discomfort in voting for someone who is too moderate for my liking.

And did third-party voting really allow Hillary to lose in those states? I can see that, but me writing in a progressive candidate or left-wing third party in NEW JERSEY won't be a big deal. Plus, y'all are acting like he's gonna win in a landslide so who cares anyways?
Because third party votes are dumb and don’t prove a point, and yes a third party/write in vote is a vote for trump.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 03:24:59 AM »

Because third party votes are dumb and don’t prove a point, and yes a third party/write in vote is a vote for trump.

Thank you for your opinion
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 03:36:59 AM »

It's obligatory for the dems to have a minority in the ticket these days. It's their strategy to turn out the blacks and other colored people.
hunter gatherer
rascalking
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 03:45:36 AM »

yes if the nominee is a white guy he should chose a minority or a minority woman to his vice, because  the same is also true in reverse though if the nominee is kamal harris she should pick a generic white guy like steve boullock. diversity is always a plus. its just good optics.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 04:09:33 AM »

A minority candidate/female candidate, should promptly launch a third party independent bid and try to deny both Trump and this hypothetical white male 270 electoral votes, and force the election to the House.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 07:23:33 AM »

More than half the Democrats base is white & less than one third of the GE is Latino or African American. The last Dem President was Black & the last Dem nominee was a woman.

Dems should nominate the best candidate not do cheap identity politics unless they want to lose to Trump. The Democrats should try & get 50% female representation in the next candidate along with over representation of African Americans & Hispanics.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 11:24:44 AM »

I see a stronger argument that there has to be a woman on the ticket, than that a minority must be on the ticket.  The US has already had an African-American President, but not even a female VP.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 05:09:46 PM »

They should pick someone like Yvette Felarca.
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 05:12:40 PM »

They should pick someone like Yvette Felarca.
Why and who?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 05:37:55 AM »

Yes.  First, said female/nonwhite running mate will provide a perspective the white male candidate does not have.  Second, it is good politics for the Democratic Party given the makeup of its base.  Third, there are plenty of well-qualified choices.   
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 09:48:51 AM »

Maybe you would care to speculate?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »

I am not a fan of identity politics but its clear that Trump picked Pence for being an evangelical Christian.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 01:00:41 PM »

The best vice presidential running mate for Beto (or any male nominee) would be Amy Klobuchar for a variety of reasons. She's experienced and knows how the game works, charismatic and has appeal in the Mid-West, which is a key region to win against Trump. She balanced the ticket on age and gender as well, and is not a controversial figure with a lot of baggage. And her senate seat would stay Democratic as Tim Walz is governor of Minnesota. If he makes a good appointment, the Democrats are likely to keep that seat after a special election.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 01:25:44 PM »

If he was smart he'd pick Richard Ojeda. Not only would he excite the base and possibly win over some of the rust belt states, but he's also one of the few reasonable Democrats that can help win over people in the Middle and even Trump botets
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies