Hungarians protest at state TV to demand independent public media, courts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:15:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hungarians protest at state TV to demand independent public media, courts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hungarians protest at state TV to demand independent public media, courts  (Read 636 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2018, 05:20:57 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hungary-protest/hungarians-protest-at-state-tv-to-demand-independent-public-media-courts-idUSKBN1OG0RE
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I hope that nothing too crippling occurs so that the Hungarians can kick out Orban next election. Democracy is at stake here.
Omega21

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hungary-protest/hungarians-protest-at-state-tv-to-demand-independent-public-media-courts-idUSKBN1OG0RE
I hope that nothing too crippling occurs so that the Hungarians can kick out Orban next election. Democracy is at stake here.

I don't know what his policy and actions on media and freedom are so I can't say I support him, but his immigration policy is music to my ears.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 08:19:05 PM »

I don't know what his policy and actions on media and freedom are so I can't say I support him, but his immigration policy is music to my ears.
At what cost. The cost of coercing businessmen to sell their livelihood, whether in the news or not, to his cronies? The consistent attacks on the poor, the homeless, and the working to Alabama levels? The sheer propaganda campaign against sexual minorities and women under “Hungarian values”? What about the failed internet tax?

Are you seriously going to risk falling to a dictatorship for him sticking it to the EU? Are you that scared of a few non-European originated folks that a dictatorship is worth it? There currently is issues with immigrants coming from warzones and extremely patriarchal countries in Europe, but the answer isn’t failing against all immigrants or closing everything off, certainly not voting in those who have presented that they don’t care about democratic norms once in power.
Omega21

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 09:21:47 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2018, 09:53:15 AM by Omega21 »

At what cost. The cost of coercing businessmen to sell their livelihood, whether in the news or not, to his cronies? The consistent attacks on the poor, the homeless, and the working to Alabama levels? The sheer propaganda campaign against sexual minorities and women under “Hungarian values”? What about the failed internet tax?

Are you seriously going to risk falling to a dictatorship for him sticking it to the EU? Are you that scared of a few non-European originated folks that a dictatorship is worth it? There currently is issues with immigrants coming from warzones and extremely patriarchal countries in Europe, but the answer isn’t failing against all immigrants or closing everything off, certainly not voting in those who have presented that they don’t care about democratic norms once in power.

I was not aware of a "campaign against women", I am, however, aware of a plan that supports families (a ton of cash for young couples for their first house), and this has resulted in higher birth rates over the last few years, so If promoting family values and people actually making children, then yes, I support this "campaign against women".

I also support his crackdown on George Soros, and I support his opposition to Gender studies because that's not really something that's needed since it's made up. If you want to be unemployed, no need to get a Gender studies degree.  

Every people has it's own right to choose who leads them, and who gets to come into their country, or do you think that a non-elected entity should be able to force us to open up our borders?

Edit:

Forgot to mention, it is not about "sticking it to the EU".

See, unlike in America, we Europeans have something known as "Benefits", and each of these migrants gets benefits, accommodation, public transport and everything else you can think of for free.

In contrast, Mexican illegals get jack sh**t, and you guys even complain how they use EMS and that it's a burden, meanwhile, illegals here get full blown healthcare, housing, food, allowance, free language courses and so on, so stop commenting on how we should be accepting.

We enjoy our healthcare system (at least I do in Austria), and it doesn't work if you get too many leeches sucking on the money bag, so I would rather prevent that and not have an American system, where you die of cancer if you can't afford treatment.

Also, in the past 3 years, countless people have been killed or raped by some of these newcomers, so yeah, I'm not sure I'm too happy about giving them money while they commit crimes. Coincidentally, a girl here in Austria was killed by her refugee bf just a few days ago, and the "but Europeans kill and rape too" argument doesn't work since a European is born here and there's nothing you can do, but you can stop an illegal from coming here.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »

I was not aware of a "campaign against women", I am, however, aware of a plan that supports families (a ton of cash for young couples for their first house), and this has resulted in higher birth rates over the last few years, so If promoting family values and people actually making children, then yes, I support this "campaign against women".

I also support his crackdown on George Soros, and I support his opposition to Gender studies because that's not really something that's needed since it's made up. If you want to be unemployed, no need to get a Gender studies degree.  

Every people has it's own right to choose who leads them, and who gets to come into their country, or do you think that a non-elected entity should be able to force us to open up our borders?

Edit:

See, unlike in America, we Europeans have something known as "Benefits", and each of these migrants gets benefits, accommodation, public transport and everything else you can think of for free.

In contrast, Mexican illegals get jack sh**t, and you guys even complain how they use EMS and that it's a burden, meanwhile, illegals here get full blown healthcare, housing, food, allowance, free language courses and so on, so stop commenting on how we should be accepting.

We enjoy our healthcare system (at least I do in Austria), and it doesn't work if you get too many leeches sucking on the money bag, so I would rather prevent that and not have an American system, where you die of cancer if you can't afford treatment.

Also, in the past 3 years, countless people have been killed or raped by some of these newcomers, so yeah, I'm not sure I'm too happy about giving them money while they commit crimes. Coincidentally, a girl here in Austria was killed by her refugee bf just a few days ago, and the "but Europeans kill and rape too" argument doesn't work since a European is born here and there's nothing you can do, but you can stop an illegal from coming here.
With “being against women” I was referring to cutting off Gender Studies. I see no issue with it as long as they know what they are getting into, over here at least you have programs to land you a job. Is there data, from Austria or Hungary, that proves that Gender Studies majors struggle more to find a job in the workplace?

On your second point on illegals taking benefits; yeah, they should receive what they put in. I know that over here, they pay sales and income tax using a falsified SS number, while always being denied the withdrawn revenue when they would’ve qualified if they were a citizen. If they pay into the system and work, either in informal (I assume a lot of undocumented folks do odd jobs or menial work under the radar, as they do here) or formal markets, they should recieve benefits that would aide them get back on their feet.

I recognize that immigrants from poorer backgrounds commit crimes disproportionately to more settled folks, both ethnically Austrian and n+1 generation folks, but having an uncompromising border policy is a net negative. The crime rate can, and has been shown to, decrease by increasing civic participation and connectivity between the newcomers and the Austrian public at large. All of this while making sure employment in check. Taking the closed approach, relying on automation and increased remaining worker productivity can only go so far, even Bavaria and Japan have realized that fact with openings of vocational programs. Or else you get vast labor shortages with no one to fill in the short, or even the long term. Also, don’t go giving me Fox News reporting, give me the raw data.

All of this is off topic however. The reality is that throughout Europe, these fascistic parties have been shown to engage in heavy corruption once in power. An Italian filmmaker exposed mafia ties to Lega Nord, the Czech and Hungarian prime ministers have pretty good allegations of nepotistic behavior and fraud. All the way disregarding rule of law and condemning the media. Is that the kind of Austria you want. Having a strict, conformist state a la North Korea?

Omega21

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 02:09:25 PM »

Edit:

With “being against women” I was referring to cutting off Gender Studies. I see no issue with it as long as they know what they are getting into, over here at least you have programs to land you a job. Is there data, from Austria or Hungary, that proves that Gender Studies majors struggle more to find a job in the workplace?

On your second point on illegals taking benefits; yeah, they should receive what they put in. I know that over here, they pay sales and income tax using a falsified SS number, while always being denied the withdrawn revenue when they would’ve qualified if they were a citizen. If they pay into the system and work, either in informal (I assume a lot of undocumented folks do odd jobs or menial work under the radar, as they do here) or formal markets, they should recieve benefits that would aide them get back on their feet.

I recognize that immigrants from poorer backgrounds commit crimes disproportionately to more settled folks, both ethnically Austrian and n+1 generation folks, but having an uncompromising border policy is a net negative. The crime rate can, and has been shown to, decrease by increasing civic participation and connectivity between the newcomers and the Austrian public at large. All of this while making sure employment in check. Taking the closed approach, relying on automation and increased remaining worker productivity can only go so far, even Bavaria and Japan have realized that fact with openings of vocational programs. Or else you get vast labor shortages with no one to fill in the short, or even the long term. Also, don’t go giving me Fox News reporting, give me the raw data.

All of this is off topic however. The reality is that throughout Europe, these fascistic parties have been shown to engage in heavy corruption once in power. An Italian filmmaker exposed mafia ties to Lega Nord, the Czech and Hungarian prime ministers have pretty good allegations of nepotistic behavior and fraud. All the way disregarding rule of law and condemning the media. Is that the kind of Austria you want. Having a strict, conformist state a la North Korea?

I won't blame you for not knowing, but Vienna has a surplus of workers.

There are enough people in the ex-YU countries and in other parts of eastern Europe who want to move for a better life (I'm from Bosnia), and they are much better immigrants in general than Syrian or Afghan refugees.

Basically, you can't use what you know from living in America and apply it to Europe because over there, even you as a citizen can't get free healthcare. (Which I think is bullsh**t, no country can call itself a 1st world country if its citizens are being denied treatment). Illegals here don't mow lawns or do jobs no one wants, they simply sit around and take the benefits. Some of them also like to gather around train stations or metro stations, drink, get high, to the point that a surveillance Van with a huge ass rotating camera was installed at Praterstern (a train and metro station in Vienna), and the number of rapes in the park next to the station in one year was absurd. All in all, it's two completely separate worlds.

For me, migration policy comes first, and then all the other things combined count as much as the migration policy. I simply refuse to see European cities turn into American cities, where going to the wrong neighbourhood can get you robbed, or worse, and this is what uncontrolled migration leads to (look up Berlin Neukölln or Rosengård Malmö).

Also, I do not know what Orban does, all I know is 50% of the population wants him, and you can't just judge everything by what you see in the media, as he has some powerful enemies as well.

There is a limit to what I would be able to swallow. Banning Gender Studies? Sure, who cares anyway. Kicking out Soros? Great!

Now, if he went full out Erdogan and started going after people, of course, I would like to see him taken down, but I simply do not see some of the accusations being made against him as true, since Hungary is doing extremely well right now, and you can check unemployment, GDP or foreign investment charts if you are interested in it.

Also, his government has made great efforts to end the Population decline over there, which is something I admire, and more governments should strive to do.

As said, I don't know all the facts since I don't live there, but from my perspective, they are doing better than ever before.

Unemployment:

Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 03:35:31 PM »

If he banned gender studies, and Soros, and revived the birth rate:

Make him the new Emperor of the Magyars!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 07:35:36 PM »

The fascism is strong in this thread.
Omega21

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 08:17:27 PM »

May I ask why?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 09:13:48 AM »

That's not that's strong, albeit in part because that Reuters reporter either skewed or missed the story.  While the protesters are including those demands, the act that galvanized the protests to begin with is the new overtime law.

Incidentally that overtime law is dumb. The reason given for passing it is that are labor shortages because young Hungarians are choosing to move elsewhere to work, so they needed to make it easier to for employers to demand overtime.  However, by making labor conditions worse, they've given those young workers even more reason to leave the country, and maybe even those who've already started families.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies