Betomania Megathread: "Mr. Trumpachev, Tear Down This Wall!"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 02:56:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Betomania Megathread: "Mr. Trumpachev, Tear Down This Wall!"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Betomania Megathread: "Mr. Trumpachev, Tear Down This Wall!"  (Read 16796 times)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2018, 11:43:24 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This sums it up well - Beto is the candidate for the viral generation. It's not like the Presidency is a serious job or anything...

The American people are not remotely serious. The sooner one understands that, the sooner one can become a sensible analyst of American politics.

Though actually, this isn't all the American people's fault. And the lack of seriousness of the American voter is as much a symptom as a cause.

The American system of government is fundamentally, systemically dysfunctional and does not provide the possibility of effective governance. It is pretty close to impossible, except under the most optimal of circumstances, to pass meaningful legislation of any sort in the US. That leads the American people, out of desperation, to try to elect people who will somehow (maybe) overcome the system through force of personality.

If regular politicians with experience and qualifications had any possibility or any record of actually ever achieving anything whatsoever, then the American people would be more likely to elect those people.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »

🤔
Joey1996

« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2018, 09:11:44 AM »

Good one
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2018, 09:25:48 AM »

Not a very smart answer, Beto.
Barack Oganja

« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2018, 01:39:10 PM »

Extremely smart answer
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2018, 11:38:29 PM »

For the general.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2018, 11:54:39 PM »

🤔

The answer is no. He chose the New Democrat label. But maybe he can join No Labels. Obama did a better job of pretending to be progressive.
BundouYMB

« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2018, 12:19:38 AM »

🤔

The answer is no. He chose the New Democrat label. But maybe he can join No Labels. Obama did a better job of pretending to be progressive.

https://www.facebook.com/betoorourke/posts/a-single-payer-medicare-for-all-program-is-the-best-way-to-ensure-all-americans-/1332704096779297/
https://www.facebook.com/betoorourke/videos/308827009841632/

O'Rourke: *supports Medicare for All and is a foreign policy dove*

jfern: neoliberal shill
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2018, 12:21:41 AM »

🤔

https://www.facebook.com/betoorourke/posts/a-single-payer-medicare-for-all-program-is-the-best-way-to-ensure-all-americans-/1332704096779297/

I mean, he can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_for_All_Caucus

We have a caucus for this position. If he truly believed in it, he would have joined.
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2018, 12:24:00 AM »

🤔

Honestly anyone to the right of Stalin is too right wing or neoliberal for jfern.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2018, 12:29:18 AM »

🤔

I mean, he can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_for_All_Caucus

We have a caucus for this position. If he truly believed in it, he would have joined.
Is it really that serious? He was campaigning on the position while running for Senate in Texas. If he was being fake he could have kept his mouth shut. It’s not like he had plans on being in the House past January anyway.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2018, 05:56:20 AM »

🤔

Honestly anyone to the right of Stalin is too right wing or neoliberal for jfern.

A lot of hot takes that a New Democrat with a New Democrat voting record who hasn't endorsed any of 5 key progressive bills, voted for fast track, voted for a larger military budget than Trump wanted, and voted for some financial deregulations is just to the right of Stalin. Obama did a much better job of pretending to be progressive than this.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2018, 06:32:26 AM »

🤔

A lot of hot takes that a New Democrat with a New Democrat voting record who hasn't endorsed any of 5 key progressive bills, voted for fast track, voted for a larger military budget than Trump wanted, and voted for some financial deregulations is just to the right of Stalin. Obama did a much better job of pretending to be progressive than this.

I was about to suggest a drinking game where we would take a sip every time jfern says "New Democrat" but then I realized that everyone would be sloshed after a couple of minutes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2018, 07:09:25 AM »

🤔

I was about to suggest a drinking game where we would take a sip every time jfern says "New Democrat" but then I realized that everyone would be sloshed after a couple of minutes.

Your no labels pal decided to label himself a New Democrat. He didn't have to join that caucus. And he could have left at later date if he decided that it didn't match him. But no labels Beto is fine with being labeled a New Democrat.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2018, 07:21:09 AM »

🤔

I like Beto, but that's just stupid.  Hillary Clinton called herself a progressive and there's no reason he shouldn't.  I don't see any drawbacks to him just saying yes.

Still too early for me to say he's the "new Obama" with all the centrist connotations attached.  If he runs, he'll be running for the nomination of a party that's moved leftward since 2008.  But Beto has his weak spots, and he'll have to answer for those in the debates.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2018, 11:08:10 AM »

I've been talking about Beto O'Rourke since 2017. He's a 2020 Democratic frontrunner for a reason.
If you’re looking for a candidate who is marketable and electable, you could do a lot worse than to bet on Beto.

The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2018, 11:15:10 AM »

Ignore the skeptics. Beto O’Rourke has the policy chops to run for president.

The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »

Maybe the fact that Beto explicitly endorsed Bernie Sanders' own Medicare For All bill while campaigning in TX will quiet down some of the Bernie Bro criticism of Beto's stance on health care...

Is Beto not pure enough for Bernie Bros because he supports Bernie's own bill? If so, then what is Bernie?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2018, 11:42:15 AM »

Perhaps most intriguing of all, O’Rourke could amplify the debate on ending the failed war on drugs in a field of former prosecutors and supporters of that war.
This is essentially what gives Beto the edge over Kamala for me. I will let her state her case as she’s the only candidate I would consider voting for over Beto at this point, but we’ll see.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2018, 02:09:13 PM »

Maybe the fact that Beto explicitly endorsed Bernie Sanders' own Medicare For All bill while campaigning in TX will quiet down some of the Bernie Bro criticism of Beto's stance on health care...

Is Beto not pure enough for Bernie Bros because he supports Bernie's own bill? If so, then what is Bernie?

You’re dealing with the kind of folks who said “Bernie can still win” after the June primaries. I doubt this will change their minds.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2018, 02:48:09 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2018, 02:53:57 PM by Comrade Funk »

His name isn't Bernie Sanders. It's a personality cult. Notice how Kamala was attacked when she was rising and now Beto is being attacked. Morons like Kyle Kulinski and the Humanist Report would rather have Ojeda or Andrew Yang get BTFO than Beto or Kamala beat Trump.

I say this as someone who voted for Bernie - his most loyal supporters (Bernie Bros) are just unwilling to give any other legitimate candidate a chance.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2018, 03:04:05 PM »

His name isn't Bernie Sanders. It's a personality cult. Notice how Kamala was attacked when she was rising and now Beto is being attacked. Morons like Kyle Kulinski and the Humanist Report would rather have Ojeda or Andrew Yang get BTFO than Beto or Kamala beat Trump.

I say this as someone who voted for Bernie - his most loyal supporters (Bernie Bros) are just unwilling to give any other legitimate candidate a chance.
I thought they #onlycareaboutpolicy though?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2018, 05:43:17 PM »

Inb4 jfern and the rest of the gang accuse the posters above of being on the payroll of David Brock.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »

RFKFan68 is on the money about Kamala Harris.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2018, 05:52:16 PM »

If he was serious about it, he could have been one of the 124 co-sponsors of Medicare For All in the House, or joined the Medicare For All caucus. There are a number of other policy issues with Beto. This isn't about Bernie, there are a few other potential candidates that I would consider supporting. But sure, we're all cultists for actually caring about policy and not wanting the 8th consecutive election with a New Democrat as the nominee.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies