Carter vs. Reagan 1976
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:32:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Carter vs. Reagan 1976
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Carter vs. Reagan 1976  (Read 5952 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2005, 01:14:30 AM »

Reagan defeats Ford in the Republican primary due to a conservative resurgance in the party and Ford's association with the disgraced Rishard Nixon. Let's see maps for this election. If Reagan wins, how does he handle the hostage crisis?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 10:05:05 AM »

Ronald Reagan/Richard Schweiker            315
Jimmy Carter/Walter Mondale                   223

With the Iran hostage crisis, if initial negotiations do not produce any results, Reagan gives Iran an ultimatum, that they have 48 hours to release the hostages, unharmed, or face the consequences.  If no results, he commences military action.  Iran would know enough not to mess with Reagan, and they would know that he means business, and they would have released the hostages, unharmed.   
Ronald Reagan
Spl2
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 10:51:45 PM »

Carter - 215
Reagan - 323
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 11:05:03 AM »

I don't think Reagan could have beaten Carter in '76. The concensus in 1976 was very much that America needed a change from the Republicans, plus Reagan was still seen as a bit too extreme by the majority (it was actually on that basis that Ford managed to secure the GOP nomination, in that he was able to exploit fears within his party over Reagan not being "mainstream" enough). It wasn't until four years later that the center of gravity in American politics would shift in Reagan's favour.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 11:32:12 AM »

I'm convinced the working class was not sufficiently deluded yet to vote for an extremist like Reagan in 1976, so he would do worse in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc.  He would of course do somewhat better among the Southern racists, and best Ford's showing in Texas, Mississippi, Florida, etc. 
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 11:39:48 AM »

I'm convinced the working class was not sufficiently deluded yet to vote for an extremist like Reagan in 1976

LOL. You've basically said the same thing as me, just slightly more, erm, direct.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 11:44:18 AM »

I'm convinced the working class was not sufficiently deluded yet to vote for an extremist like Reagan in 1976

LOL. You've basically said the same thing as me, just slightly more, erm, direct.

Yes, Micheal Z.  In 1976 a lot of workers were still in unions and had fairly good pay and benefits, and an understanding from whence those came.  A guy like Ford was not much of a threat to this, but Reagan was.

Of course by 1980, they were deluded by the nationalist/xenophobic/intolerant agenda that has ruled America pretty much ever since.  Funny thing how much American politics was effected by the 'gas crisis' and the 'hostage crisis'. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies