Russia seizes Ukrainian ships near Crimea after firing at them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:23:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia seizes Ukrainian ships near Crimea after firing at them
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Russia seizes Ukrainian ships near Crimea after firing at them  (Read 3047 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2018, 10:21:45 PM »

The map above means nothing. Some people in these regions may sympathize Russia, and what of it? Putin will never dare to invade Ukraine.

Russia already invaded somewhere around 10%.
And got into much trouble. Living standards are getting worse, Putin' approval ratings having plunged to 30% - less tban Trump's ones.

Well yeah America and company would hit back sanctions wise and economically, and maybe even send some advisors and heavy weapons, and that would severely hurt Russia, but I meant in the physical sense.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2018, 11:01:14 PM »

The map above means nothing. Some people in these regions may sympathize Russia, and what of it? Putin will never dare to invade Ukraine.

And got into much trouble. Living standards are getting worse, Putin' approval ratings having plunged to 30% - less tban Trump's ones.

Bush at least invaded entire countries for his 30% approval.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2018, 11:22:43 PM »

It's so interesting how low Putin's approvals are. I never would've expected that, figured he'd be president for life.. now perhaps not?
I believe that he still has that plan as his most optimal goal. Yet with the current implosion of his support, I see three ugly options.
1. The 1982 Syria option. He goes cracking down on dissidents as he cling to power, cannibalizing his possible successors in the carnage. Any survivability of the regime is quickly diminished as it is put on secret life support.
2. He smells the roses and gives in to small reforms to pacify the population. In one or two more terms, he hands power to Sergei Shoygu or whoever else can kiss his behind before he relinquishes power.
3. He manages to survive by sheer craftiness and manipulation at home and abroad. His opponents are too busy dealing with internal fascists to have the means against Russia. Regime survives without any acts of relinquishing power.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2018, 11:29:42 PM »

It's so interesting how low Putin's approvals are. I never would've expected that, figured he'd be president for life.. now perhaps not?
I believe that he still has that plan as his most optimal goal. Yet with the current implosion of his support, I see three ugly options.
1. The 1982 Syria option. He goes cracking down on dissidents as he cling to power, cannibalizing his possible successors in the carnage. Any survivability of the regime is quickly diminished as it is put on secret life support.
2. He smells the roses and gives in to small reforms to pacify the population. In one or two more terms, he hands power to Sergei Shoygu or whoever else can kiss his behind before he relinquishes power.
3. He manages to survive by sheer craftiness and manipulation at home and abroad. His opponents are too busy dealing with internal fascists to have the means against Russia. Regime survives without any acts of relinquishing power.

The Presidential election isn't until 2024, and he isn't allowed a 3rd consecutive term. So he probably either is Prime Minister again or retires.
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »

Bush at least invaded entire countries for his 30% approval.
Rather a subtle observation. I know in 2014 when Putin decided to occupy Crimea, some of his accomplices advised him to seize the whole of Ukraine. According to their plans Russians should have destroyed  military infrastructure in its Western part and then leave it creating a buffer sattelite state of Eastern ana Southern regions. Putin rejected the idea. Maybe now he regrets it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies