Japan opens doors to mass immigration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:19:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Japan opens doors to mass immigration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Japan opens doors to mass immigration  (Read 2881 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 01:00:02 PM »

Smart move. They have a quickly aging population and cant replace their numbers fast enough. At least with immigration, they can stop an economic catastrophe.
Culture and religion is more important than money. Something marxists like you don't seem to understand.

LOL Do you even know what Marxist means

I dont think they do..... I also dont think they understand the situation in Japan right now.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 01:33:03 AM »

For some reason a part of me wants Japan to have 100% closed borders, just as a real life experiment of how that would look like. Would de-growth be possible or would it lead to Japan collapsing? Or would Japanese birthrates eventually pick up somehow?

The US has it's own version of the experiment--it's called West Virginia.

Don't be a prick.

2017 births in WV--18,500 deaths in WV--23,000. 

They aren't real friendly on the idea of immigration either.

Saw an article on Bloomberg about a mountinous  rural part of Japan where they were consolidating the decling population to make services and infrastucture more manageable.  If only....
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 10:11:14 PM »

Why are the elderly in Japan considered a burden? Don't the Japanese tend to stay active until an advanced age?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 10:34:55 PM »

Why are the elderly in Japan considered a burden? Don't the Japanese tend to stay active until an advanced age?

However long you live, unless you die in an accident, eventually, chances are, you would need somebody to wipe your ass. It might happen later, rather than earlier, but at some point you are no longer active. There are many very old Japanese people now.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 09:32:23 AM »

Smart move. They have a quickly aging population and cant replace their numbers fast enough. At least with immigration, they can stop an economic catastrophe.
Culture and religion is more important than money. Something marxists like you don't seem to understand.

Marxism is when you like money. The more money you want, the more Marxist you are.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 07:37:02 PM »

This is going to backfire. In the future when the Japanese are threathened to become a minority in their own country I wouldn't be suprised if there will be calls to reinstate Imperial Japan.

Maybe you can educate them on the final solution to their problem.
Omega21

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2018, 08:38:59 PM »

This is going to backfire. In the future when the Japanese are threathened to become a minority in their own country I wouldn't be suprised if there will be calls to reinstate Imperial Japan.

Maybe you can educate them on the final solution to their problem.

Oh, I see what you did there...
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2018, 06:45:13 PM »

Marxism is when you like money. The more money you want, the more Marxist you are.

This is what my grandpa said during the political economy oral exam ca. 1937 in Moscow. I am still grateful to his professor for being alive.
Omega21

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2018, 07:08:15 PM »

This is what my grandpa said during the political economy oral exam ca. 1937 in Moscow. I am still grateful to his professor for being alive.

Your family is from Soviet Russia?

How come you moved to Mexico? I don't mean that in a bad way, just an interesting choice, so I'm curious.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2018, 04:56:59 AM »

Guest workers are not immigrants - they are sojourners who fill needs in the labor market. Immigrant is defined as someone who permanently settles in a new area/country. There is a lot the West could learn from East Asian immigration policy.

It says some will be allowed to apply for permanent residency.
Only people who have advanced skills and largely integrate into Japan, which is already possible under the current immigration system.

Regardless, mass immigration is inevitable for East Asia, it faces demographic collapse otherwise.
If East Asia was actually facing demographic collapse (which is not supported by current projections), there wouldn't be enough immigrants available to avert it.
Of course population growth is in decline everywhere, so the mass immigration solution is ultimately a Ponzi scheme rather than a viable solution for the problems of aging.

Guest workers are not immigrants - they are sojourners who fill needs in the labor market. Immigrant is defined as someone who permanently settles in a new area/country. There is a lot the West could learn from East Asian immigration policy.

You do know most of the Turks in Germany came in a guest worker program?

Anyway, the big problem with this solution is you end up (in the extreme end) with nightmare states like the Gulf, where a pampered elite sit above an army of disenfranchised and abused workers
It's not a nightmare for the citizens of those countries, and they're the ones whose interests should count.

And as experience has shown, in the long term it doesn't work even economically. The jobs for which the guest workers originally came for disappear, but the immigrants and they and their descendants increasingly become a burden to the welfare system.

If Japan wants to go though complete and total collapse, economically, socially, and politically, because they are losing population just to preserve "culture and religion", thats fine by me. Its their choice.
The projected population decline between 2010 and 2050 in Japan is comparable to the one experienced by Bulgaria for half of that time. And while Bulgaria is hardly an example to emulate, the country did not collapse. And Japan has the advantage of not facing a brain drain and is much richer in the first place.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2018, 11:37:42 AM »

Bad decision.

Japan needs to downsize to a level of 1 million to remain sustainable, like other countries.

They did a great job decimating themselves so far, but now they are jumping on the pro-growth/pro-immigration train ... Sad
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2018, 11:50:00 AM »

Bad decision.

Japan needs to downsize to a level of 1 million to remain sustainable, like other countries.

They did a great job decimating themselves so far, but now they are jumping on the pro-growth/pro-immigration train ... Sad

1 million? I know growth at any cost is a stupid idea, but there's no reason to commit national seppuku.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »

Bad decision.

1 million? I know growth at any cost is a stupid idea, but there's no reason to commit national seppuku.

It's not national suicide, it's a healthy national downsizing. All countries would need to do it of course. Growth at any cost = earth's cancer. That's why it is needed.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2018, 12:13:51 PM »

Bad decision.

It's not national suicide, it's a healthy national downsizing. All countries would need to do it of course. Growth at any cost = earth's cancer. That's why it is needed.

I think there's a happy medium between "growth at any cost" and "gigantic and unprecedented rapid population loss to medieval levels".
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2018, 03:05:50 PM »

Of course population growth is in decline everywhere, so the mass immigration solution is ultimately a Ponzi scheme rather than a viable solution for the problems of aging.

This is a very good point that is usually ignored. Using mass immigration to solve the problem just creates a lot of social and political destabilization, but is ultimately a futile solution to demographic changes.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies