McConnell is lobbying Arizona's governor to name McSally as Kyl replacement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:53:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  McConnell is lobbying Arizona's governor to name McSally as Kyl replacement
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: McConnell is lobbying Arizona's governor to name McSally as Kyl replacement  (Read 3533 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »

I told you so that Ducey isn't running in 2020

http://ktar.com/story/2338497/arizona-gov-ducey-promises-to-finish-term-wont-run-for-senate-in-2020/

Safe to say now that Ducey will likely run for Senate in 2022 especially should there be a Demoratic President in 2020. Then the whole Senate Map in 2022 becomes much more favorable for Republicans.

So, reading between the lines, you are saying that Trump will likely lose reelection.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2018, 02:58:01 PM »

http://ktar.com/story/2338497/arizona-gov-ducey-promises-to-finish-term-wont-run-for-senate-in-2020/

Safe to say now that Ducey will likely run for Senate in 2022 especially should there be a Demoratic President in 2020. Then the whole Senate Map in 2022 becomes much more favorable for Republicans.

So, reading between the lines, you are saying that Trump will likely lose reelection.
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2018, 09:07:46 PM »

SCNCmod

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2018, 11:19:16 PM »

Who is the most likely Dem to be the nominee for the AZ Senate Seat in 2020?  And what are their chances?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2018, 11:35:40 PM »

Who is the most likely Dem to be the nominee for the AZ Senate Seat in 2020?  And what are their chances?

AZ dems have a decent bench.
They can use any of their competetive seats(implying AZ 9th is still competetive). This is a major problem for the GOP. They don't have any of the competetive seats and AZ for some reason loves moderate heroes.
Kirkpatrick would be a retread but she is pretty strong still and her district is d leaning by now
Greg Stanton- FORMER mayor of the biggest city in the state is important. This gives him an important base. His house seats is basically Safe D barring extreme scenarios.
Tom Ohalleran- Not a bad candidate and can reasonably outperform his districts lean. However the house seat would be tossup as it hasn't trended left as quickly as other parts of AZ although it still could flip to the dems in 2020.

Other options- Katie Hobbs already got elected statewide
Perennial option- HIRAL . Obviously I would think sure she did great in a special and meh in the GE but what was incredible was the crossover support she had during the special.
Grant Woods-Another moderate who Arizona just loves. Former AG and COS for mccain. He would be a good fit and should get good crossover.
Ruben Gallego-is quite liberal but to counter that is that HE IS a military veteran and hispanic so that might be able to counter act the Arizona desire for moderate heroes.
the only weak member in their delegation would Grijalva who won't run anyway.

anyway the AZ GOP is gonna struggle because their best candidate Ducey can't and won't run in 2020 due to the SOS election.
Their congressmen and women are quite weak and all represent R districts
Gosar-Obviously strong candidate winning some Sinema voters. To be serious he is a batsh**t crazy person and does not have a Maricopa base
Of the 3 maricopa GOP congress critters

Az 5th- Biggs is a teapartier and won't work in AZ
Az 6th-has some slight ethics issues that might blow up later. Also AZ 6th is now borderline competetive as Sinema almost carried it in her run and I think mcsally got <50% with a green. Id rate it lean R as open.
Az8th- yeah Debbie Lesko is quite weak after her SE performance.

despite the fact candidate quality isn't everything I am currently tilting this race towards the D's in 2020 because of weak Gop candidates and a strong dem bench.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2018, 12:32:55 AM »

AZ for some reason loves moderate heroes.

AZ is more known for having some of the most extreme senators and Representatives, with only one being a moderate, McCain, and even then, he was almost consistently Conservative, except on like one or two issues.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2018, 12:38:59 AM »

AZ for some reason loves moderate heroes.

AZ is more known for having some of the most extreme senators and Representatives, with only one being a moderate, McCain, and even then, he was almost consistently Conservative, except on like one or two issues.

I mean it used to have extremes but for the 20th century it has been more moderate heroes. It consistently elected Democrats to congress In romney and mccain districts even during the obama years because they acted moderate.

Mccain was very a much a moderate from his early days until 2009 and became a relative moderate once again after 2016.  moderate doesn't mean you vote against your party every vote but on a few select issues it does. Mccains procedural knowledge along with roy moore probably saved Obamacare.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2018, 09:52:57 AM »

I really would like to see Meghan McCain become a Senator and see how many tantrums she throws in the first week. I watch The View with my grandma every day and we can't stand her behavior.
But in all seriousness, McSally is a pretty good choice, although the fact that she just lost an election makes it awkward. I also would love to see a Senator Kelli Ward which would automatically make Arizona Lean/Likely D in 2020.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2018, 09:57:58 AM »

Last time I checked, it's still unclear whether Kyl will resign at the beginning of the 116th congress. Maybe he stays on to the special in '20.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2018, 02:37:48 PM »

Last time I checked, it's still unclear whether Kyl will resign at the beginning of the 116th congress. Maybe he stays on to the special in '20.

That would make far more sense than all these appointment shenanigans.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies