AMA: General Mung Beans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:25:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  AMA: General Mung Beans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: AMA: General Mung Beans  (Read 1599 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 04:36:13 PM »

IIRC one of the Wew Lads sabotaged his efforts and told the Dutch girl to block him.

People shouldn't do such things.
James Monroe

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 06:22:41 PM »

What is your general impression of Robert Mueller?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2019, 07:44:20 PM »

Do you have easy access to Korean memes?

Kind of? I do know of Korean sites and pages that have such memes but don't go on them too often unless they show up on my social media feed. Even then, I don't necessarily always get the memes due to insufficient knowledge of Korean pop culture.

What is your general impression of Robert Mueller?

Mueller's a competent man who did the job he was supposed to do but he never was a saviour to save the nation from Trump. The Mueller Report has painted a very unflattering picture of the Administration and allowed several of the most egregiously corrupt among them to be brought to trial. As much as that happened, I'm satisfied.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 03:07:12 AM »

Bumped.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2019, 06:57:35 PM »

1. Overall ideological orientation?
2. College/career (plans)?
urutzizu
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2019, 08:06:41 PM »

Favourite post 1987 South Korean president?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 01:57:10 AM »

1. Overall ideological orientation?

Social democratic with communitarian and (civic) nationalist tendencies.

2. College/career (plans)?

I graduated last May and have been working part-time since. Considering a MA in history or related field but I'm pretty broke and haven't gotten much work recently so really uncertain.

Favourite post 1987 South Korean president?

Kim Dae-Jung by far.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2019, 05:42:10 AM »

No interest? : (
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2019, 12:25:16 PM »

If I gave you an angle grinder, what would you do with it?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2019, 12:43:15 PM »

What in your view is a solution to the California housing crisis that could get passed?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2019, 06:34:20 PM »

What in your view is a solution to the California housing crisis that could get passed?

Not an expert, but I'd imagine a mix of relaxing zoning laws, upzoning urban/inner suburban areas, mandating/public funding of multifamily dwellings, and rent subsidies.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2019, 12:25:29 AM »

Not an expert, but I'd imagine a mix of relaxing zoning laws, upzoning urban/inner suburban areas, mandating/public funding of multifamily dwellings, and rent subsidies.

Would the third item in that list include public housing?
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2019, 01:12:31 AM »

What are your thoughts on inter-ethnic Asian-Asian relationships (e.g. Korean-Viet)? Asking because there was some reference to inter-cultural dating/relationships earlier in this thread
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2019, 01:51:14 AM »

Expanding on the general conundrum of how we humans use space, where do you fall in the debate between preserving natural and architectural beauty, on the one hand, and making life affordable (though perhaps not beautiful) for all, on the other? Are Judge Dredd-style megacities the only way forward?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2019, 02:15:13 AM »

What are your thoughts on the direction of the PCA and broader Reformed Evangelicalism (within the SBC, The Gospel Coalition, etc.) recently?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »

Certainly I wouldn't exclude public housing. My only concern is that we learn a lesson from the severe problems arising from previous projects. I'm not an expert on this topic, but I've wondered if instituting public housing for civil servants and their families (which seems especially necessary in increasingly expensive cities like New York or San Francisco) as well as low-income individuals might serve to normalize them for the middle-class and remove the stigma surrounding them. Midcentury brutalist high-rises probably are not the best designs for them.

What are your thoughts on inter-ethnic Asian-Asian relationships (e.g. Korean-Viet)? Asking because there was some reference to inter-cultural dating/relationships earlier in this thread

To begin with, I'd draw a distinction between Sinosphere Asian cultures (China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, other SE Asian countries if the person are ethnically overseas Chinese) and non-Sinosphere ones. I think a relationship between Sinosphere and non-Sinosphere Asians would have dynamics more or less similar to other kinds of interethnic relationships. Obviously interethnic relationships between Sinosphere Asians are smoother due to various cultural commonalities and if both are second-generation immigrants, we could even say that in many cases they share an emerging, common largely upper middle class, suburban Asian American culture that I see forming especially in such places like Irvine or Cerritos. In those cases I think there would be fairly minimal cultural difference in any relationship.

Expanding on the general conundrum of how we humans use space, where do you fall in the debate between preserving natural and architectural beauty, on the one hand, and making life affordable (though perhaps not beautiful) for all, on the other? Are Judge Dredd-style megacities the only way forward?

I don't see this as a binary necessarily, though I would generally prioritize affordability over aesthetics especially in saturated areas with high demand for housing. For example, there is no reason why dense multifamily housing units should be mere concrete blocks rather than be built in styles in keeping with the history and tradition of the region. Public architecture should also follow traditional, grand styles that will stimulate pride and edification in residents. Similarly, any city ought to have large tracts of green space for residents to seek rest and recreation from the urban atmosphere surrounding them.

What are your thoughts on the direction of the PCA and broader Reformed Evangelicalism (within the SBC, The Gospel Coalition, etc.) recently?

I'm generally heartened by the direction since they seem much more willing to address issues that have been papered over by American Evangelicalism in the past generation such as sexual abuse, racism, and homophobia. I hope it spurs a further revolution in thinking that will lead them to engage more critically with politics rather than simply spout fusionist conservative or libertarian dogmas. Of course, it is critical this be accompanied by a commitment to theological orthodoxy.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2021, 08:24:39 PM »

Bumped yet again
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2021, 08:52:11 PM »

What it do?

More seriously, how the job/MA search go?

If I recall correctly, you are of the more "patriotic" sort of social democrat. What should the aims and priorities of US foreign policy be going forward? Is the promotion of democracy a good in itself, or value-neutral compared to the larger goal of American interests? What of Russia, China, and liberalism in particular?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2021, 08:57:35 PM »

This is a silly question but I just find it weird that we've interacted a lot and a lot including about this sort of topics but I still don't have a clue as to the answer: what is your religious denomination?

Also:

- Your feelings about the Korean War? Interpret this as you wish.

- What foreign literatures are you most knowledgeable about?

- Given your current display name, are you actually a supporter of Perón? And for that matter, of Ross Perot?

- Your favourite and least favourite place in Orange County?
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2021, 09:58:43 PM »

Do you like mung beans, and if so, do you have a favorite mung bean dish?
retromike22
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2021, 03:40:57 AM »

Favorite President?
Favorite current Senator?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2021, 05:03:32 PM »

Sir, how long did it take for you to achieve the rank of General after you commissioned?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2021, 05:56:37 PM »

What it do?

More seriously, how the job/MA search go?

My graduate school plans have been shelved for the present given the lack of funds and Covid conditions. I had hoped to find an acceptable medium-term, mostly full-time job (especially at a library), but was not hired despite frequent efforts so the only employment I've had in the past year was temporary positions as an elections worker.

If I recall correctly, you are of the more "patriotic" sort of social democrat. What should the aims and priorities of US foreign policy be going forward? Is the promotion of democracy a good in itself, or value-neutral compared to the larger goal of American interests? What of Russia, China, and liberalism in particular?

That assessment would be correct. I don't have a clear foreign policy philosophy, though my views are influenced by both liberal internationalist and realist tendencies with a strong pragmatic streak. Broadly speaking I think China's rise to power is inevitable and the US can do little to actually *stop* China from becoming a superpower, short of perhaps starting World War 3 nor should it kneecap China's rise. What it *should* do is prepare for the return to a multipolar world by strengthening alliances in the Indo-Pacific region to ensure there is no Chinese hegemony in Asia, especially with existing allies in East Asia such as South Korea and Japan. The US should be prepared to sanction China for human rights violations, something which would be helped by reshoring strategic manufacturing to the United States. As for Russia, I have much the same views and that we should work with NATO allies to prevent further Russian expansion though Crimea (being majority ethnic Russian) is probably theirs long-term.

I do think promoting democracy is an inherent good but pro-democracy movements should develop organically. For example, the US can't really impose democracy on China given the popular legitimacy the current government has with most of China's population. But if mass pro-democracy movements developed (as in say Belarus), the US should give it moral and perhaps material support. Military intervention should be taken only in the most extreme circumstances, if there is an ongoing geno-/democide that has to be prevented.

This is a silly question but I just find it weird that we've interacted a lot and a lot including about this sort of topics but I still don't have a clue as to the answer: what is your religious denomination?

I don't think its a silly question! The Korean-American church that I've attended have been through multiple splits and used to be affiliated with a Presbyterian denomination (though I'm not sure which) but is now affiliated with the Christian Reformed Church which is the more conservative Dutch Reformed denomination in the United States. I would identify as a Reformed Protestant and would probably attend either a CRC or a conservative Presbyterian (PCA) church if I moved depending on the individual church.

Also:

- Your feelings about the Korean War? Interpret this as you wish.

In short the Korean War was a tremendous national and human tragedy, culminating a century of suffering for the Korean nation. The history of the period immediate following Korean independence in 1945 and the outbreak of the 1950 is rather complex and confused, with multiple competing factions and individuals which I don't fully understand even now. I do think the US made a mistake here by not supporting the Korean People's Government of Lyuh Woon-Hyung, a moderate leftist who led a coalition provision government which could potentially have preserved unity. Revisionist interpretations of this period of Korean history that place most of the blame for division on the US and rightists in South Korea are pretty popular. Certainly, the regime of Syngman Rhee (who while American backed had a turbulent relationship with Washington DC) which frequently committed mass murder and established a personality around Rhee does not come off as much better than North Korea.

However, even in its most authoritarian phases there was always a functional political opposition in South Korea despite harassment and outright persecution by the government, providing the seeds for later democratization. South Korea was able to develop an independent civil society while the North was not. For that reason, I do think that US intervention in the Korean War was a good thing and that it was good that the Republic of Korea survived despite Rhee's corruption and cruelty. This is not to ignore the numerous war crimes committed by both sides during the Korean War and the extraordinarily bloody bombing campaign waged by the US Air Force against the North.

- What foreign literatures are you most knowledgeable about?

I am most familiar with German literature, having read some works by German authors in various classes as well as on my own.

- Given your current display name, are you actually a supporter of Perón? And for that matter, of Ross Perot?

The display name came about more due to the obvious pun rather than my personal opinions regarding Peron or Perot. That said, I have mixed feelings regarding Peronism. While Peron himself was an authoritarian, the military already had established a precedent of intervention in politics and dictatorship in 1940s Argentina.  Peron's policies in his first term did really empower the working class and bring about significant material benefits for them. So I do cut some slack for semi-authoritarians who actually had popular legitimacy (like Peron or Huey Long) compared to their anti-democratic authoritarian rivals who suppressed the popular will (such as Argentina's reactionary landowning and military officer class or the old school Dixiecrats of Louisiana). That said, I would never have fit comfortably into Peronism and would probably have tended to support the non-Peronist left in most cases though occasionally tactically backing progressive Peronists depending on the election.

I similarly have mixed feelings about Ross Perot. He was somewhat right on trade but fundamentally a conservative (see his stance on a balanced budget). Along with Pat Buchanan, Donald Trump, and even some progressives such as Ralph Nader, he represented a sort of transversal Nineties populism that opposed the consensus for deindustrialization and offshoring in the United States. It's probably a shame that no lasting movement developed out of these tendencies (Reform Party), resulting in such horrors as the deaths of despair and declining working-class life expectancy in a first world country. Instead, we would get revenge in the form of the election of Donald Trump in his most reactionary mode. Without hindsight, I would have easily voted for Bill Clinton both times over him but I would have supported him in protest against Clinton's neoliberal excesses in the 1990s given my current knowledge.

- Your favourite and least favourite place in Orange County?

I really like the beach at Corona del Mar in Newport Beach due to it being relatively quiet and less crowded compared to other beaches while affording excellent views of the Pacific Ocean. Generally, Newport Beach is a city I have a lot of nostalgia for due to having much of my younger childhood there despite it being a bastion of wealthy conservative Republicans (Nice in France might be a good analogy).

I guess I dislike some of the newer suburbs in south Orange County such as Laguna Niguel due to the extreme nature of the sprawl such as massive freeway-like roads and most houses being in walled-off developments that makes walkability impossible.

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2021, 10:38:09 PM »

Favorite President?
Favorite current Senator?

Boring answers FDR and Lincoln, Bernie Sanders and Sherrod Brown respectively.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2021, 07:35:58 AM »

I don't think its a silly question! The Korean-American church that I've attended have been through multiple splits and used to be affiliated with a Presbyterian denomination (though I'm not sure which) but is now affiliated with the Christian Reformed Church which is the more conservative Dutch Reformed denomination in the United States. I would identify as a Reformed Protestant and would probably attend either a CRC or a conservative Presbyterian (PCA) church if I moved depending on the individual church.

Thank you!
Funnily you casually ended up right next to DC Al Fine in my buddy list, and that placement suddenly makes a lot of sense now, lol.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies