'List' voting: a proposal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:44:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  'List' voting: a proposal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 'List' voting: a proposal  (Read 1742 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 02:26:59 PM »

I was actually not referring to you, but to the newly elected Senator who wants to, and I quote, "drag (me) behind a pickup truck".  Senator Ebowed has said that he will make it his personal mission to ensure that I never get elected to anything ever again.  So no, I really don't have representation.

I don't really know if there's anything that can be done about that, because in any government at all there will always be those unhappy with those in power, and if those in power are replaced with others who make the unhappy happy, then there will inevitably be people who are made newly unhappy by these new politicians.  The only way to make everyone happy with his or her representation is to have there be one representative per person, which obviously wouldn't work too well.

There is a difference between making someone "unhappy", and outright being insulting.  There is a difference between disagreement among mainstream political viewpoints, and dispute with extremists over basic human rights.

Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice.
A few centuries ago, equality before the law was a totally extremist, out of mainstream view.

Fine then.  A few centuries ago I would have been an extremist and you would have been a moderate.  Good thing times change.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2005, 02:28:55 PM »

Usually carpet bagging is done for political gain. Seeing as how I ran my first serious race ten months after moving here and after doing a hell of alot more for the region then most "real-life" residents of these states, I think it's pretty funny that you label me as a carpet-bagger. Seeing as how you seem to live in a pretty deluded world, worshipping Lord President George I and his pals, I'll let it slide for now.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2005, 02:29:33 PM »

So said the man with the honor of being the biggest loser in recent American political history.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2005, 02:35:42 PM »

I was actually not referring to you, but to the newly elected Senator who wants to, and I quote, "drag (me) behind a pickup truck".  Senator Ebowed has said that he will make it his personal mission to ensure that I never get elected to anything ever again.  So no, I really don't have representation.

I don't really know if there's anything that can be done about that, because in any government at all there will always be those unhappy with those in power, and if those in power are replaced with others who make the unhappy happy, then there will inevitably be people who are made newly unhappy by these new politicians.  The only way to make everyone happy with his or her representation is to have there be one representative per person, which obviously wouldn't work too well.

There is a difference between making someone "unhappy", and outright being insulting.  There is a difference between disagreement among mainstream political viewpoints, and dispute with extremists over basic human rights.

A few centuries ago, equality before the law was a totally extremist, out of mainstream view.

Fine then.  A few centuries ago I would have been an extremist and you would have been a moderate.  Good thing times change.

Ad hominem(and not even a true one).
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2005, 02:37:06 PM »

So said the man with the honor of being the biggest loser in recent American political history.

If you knew anything other than what King George tells you, you'd know that has no bearing on the morality of one's positions and is an ad hominem falacy.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2005, 06:20:13 PM »

...if it is absolutely, 100% true that you're defending liberty and doing nothing else, that is.  That quote is used way, way too often to justify all kinds of extremism.  It's not saying that extremism is a good thing in every situation.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies