Stephen Harper's interview with Ben Shapiro
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:18:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Stephen Harper's interview with Ben Shapiro
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stephen Harper's interview with Ben Shapiro  (Read 1477 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2018, 02:10:30 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP3TUaJAkJM
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »

Why are you so obsessed with this boring non entity? (Harper, not Shapiro)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 08:24:48 PM »

Because he was the best PM Canada has had post WW2 and the best G7 leader in the past 20 years at least(Romney and Kasich would be better though)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 09:08:54 PM »

Because he was the best PM Canada has had post WW2 and the best G7 leader in the past 20 years at least(Romney and Kasich would be better though)

Harper was a horrible person who achieved very little positive.  For an 'Old School Republican' you should be a fan of Brian Mulroney.  He had a lot of flaws as a person, but his government achieved a great deal positive legislation: the original FTA and the replacement of the Manufacturer's sales tax with the GST being the two most high profile.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 10:22:43 PM »

Harper was a horrible person who achieved very little positive.  For an 'Old School Republican' you should be a fan of Brian Mulroney.  He had a lot of flaws as a person, but his government achieved a great deal positive legislation: the original FTA and the replacement of the Manufacturer's sales tax with the GST being the two most high profile.

Old School Republican stands for Pre Tea Party Republican which is now Old School as well. If Kasich won the Presidency in 2016, I would have a different screen name
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 02:37:30 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2018, 04:09:03 PM by mileslunn »

I am not by any means a fan of Harper or Shapiro, but it was still interesting to watch.  I think Harper is both right on some issues and wrong on others.  He is right that a lot of your metropolitan downtown types do tend to come across as snobbish and arrogant to those who don't share their worldview.  I don't think that is their intent, but I think rather than listen to the concerns in those that live in the suburbs and especially rural areas, they have helped create a climate that has made it easier for the right wing populists to thrive.  Off course the right playing into the negative stereotypes of them just makes it worse.  For example on Brexit, it was a bad idea economically, but I don't think insulting those who voted Leave is not the solution.  Their concerns are legitimate and those who support the EU in the case of Brexit need to do a better job of listening to their concerns and finding solutions.

I disagree that Corbyn and Sanders though are worse than Trump.  Trump is a very divisive type whose scars will take years to heal.  Sanders may be more left wing than my liking, but his more left wing ideas will never get through congress.  Democrats cannot win in Middle America on an unabashedly left wing platform.  Besides what he is proposing is more or less what Sweden and Denmark have now and both countries seem to be doing fine.  Yes I realize US is not either of those, but I don't think it would be the end of the world if he went down this path.  Corbyn is a lot more risky, but UK had PMs like him in the 70s and that is what led to Thatcher so my guess is if he won a majority (If he wins next time most likely a hung parliament not a majority), you would have someone like Thatcher come along and clean up the economic mess after.

As for Harper's performance, he wasn't the great PM the right makes him out to be, but wasn't the disaster the left makes him out to be either.  His biggest mistake is he was quite vindictive and seemed to love to find ways to anger the left even though his policies were not all that more right wing than the previous governments of Chretien, Martin, or Mulroney.  Any of the radical ideas his opponents portrayed him of doing he did not.  Maybe he wanted to, but had enough sense the public wouldn't go along with it.  In fact I really cannot think of any major lasting policy he left behind thus he was very much a transactional not transformational PM and in 40 years will be probably largely a footnote.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 02:31:48 AM »

I am not by any means a fan of Harper or Shapiro, but it was still interesting to watch.  I think Harper is both right on some issues and wrong on others.  He is right that a lot of your metropolitan downtown types do tend to come across as snobbish and arrogant to those who don't share their worldview.  I don't think that is their intent, but I think rather than listen to the concerns in those that live in the suburbs and especially rural areas, they have helped create a climate that has made it easier for the right wing populists to thrive.  Off course the right playing into the negative stereotypes of them just makes it worse.  For example on Brexit, it was a bad idea economically, but I don't think insulting those who voted Leave is not the solution.  Their concerns are legitimate and those who support the EU in the case of Brexit need to do a better job of listening to their concerns and finding solutions.

I disagree that Corbyn and Sanders though are worse than Trump.  Trump is a very divisive type whose scars will take years to heal.  Sanders may be more left wing than my liking, but his more left wing ideas will never get through congress.  Democrats cannot win in Middle America on an unabashedly left wing platform.  Besides what he is proposing is more or less what Sweden and Denmark have now and both countries seem to be doing fine.  Yes I realize US is not either of those, but I don't think it would be the end of the world if he went down this path.  Corbyn is a lot more risky, but UK had PMs like him in the 70s and that is what led to Thatcher so my guess is if he won a majority (If he wins next time most likely a hung parliament not a majority), you would have someone like Thatcher come along and clean up the economic mess after.

As for Harper's performance, he wasn't the great PM the right makes him out to be, but wasn't the disaster the left makes him out to be either.  His biggest mistake is he was quite vindictive and seemed to love to find ways to anger the left even though his policies were not all that more right wing than the previous governments of Chretien, Martin, or Mulroney.  Any of the radical ideas his opponents portrayed him of doing he did not.  Maybe he wanted to, but had enough sense the public wouldn't go along with it.  In fact I really cannot think of any major lasting policy he left behind thus he was very much a transactional not transformational PM and in 40 years will be probably largely a footnote.

When I wrote that he achieved little 'positively' that's what I meant.  I shoudn't have used the word 'positive' because I was referring to 'major accomplishments.'
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies