Favorite Lake County?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:54:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favorite Lake County?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
TN

FL

MI

IN

IL

CA

CO

MN

MT

OH

OR

SD

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Favorite Lake County?  (Read 625 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2022, 09:37:11 AM »
« edited: February 13, 2022, 02:44:50 PM by lfromnj »

TN: MS Delta county , large portion of black population isn't native but actually from the prison

FL: Exurban Orlando county, seems retiree heavy and has not trended Democrat

MI: Very interesting one, included a black resort for the black middle class of Chicago and Detroit. Used to be quite Democratic for rural Michigan even such as being the only rural county outside of the UP that Humphrey won.

IN: partial Chicaco exurban/suburban county but mostly based around its own city of Gary which is a very declining post industrial city.

IL: Despite being very close to its Indiana counterpart it isn't that similar. Does include the post industrial cities like Waukegan but these have actually grown quite a bit due to hispanic growth. Overall mostly a county known for upscale suburbs with 2 post industrial satellite cities and a few exurban areas.

CA: Atypical county in CA being the only real remaining  WWC county that still votes Democratic and not due to hipsters or weed farmers.

CO: Tallest mountain in state and I assume ski county

MN:  Iron Range,Whitest county in the nation that Biden and Hillary won. Has voted straight Democrat since 1936 although the previous 2 wins have been quite narrow. Very Scandanivan and of course WWC.
MT: Mix of WWC areas with a few touristy areas and a more integrated reservation making the county 23% Native. Generally has followed the state as a whole politically from what I can see. Obama did win it in 08 but has voted within 5 points of the state for all recent elections.

OH: WWC Cleveland suburbia/exurbia from what I can see. Had strong R trends like most of NE Ohio.

OR: Rural Eastern Oregon county with very low population, very Republican of course.

SD: Rural Eastern County, voted narrowly for Obama in 08 but has trended hard right since.

So to BRTD, the most pro Biden County is Lake County IL.  The longest D streak is Lake County MN. Lake County TN has probably the most times voting Democrat but it is now a very R County.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 11:28:18 AM »

Best is MN despite steep declines during the Trump era, but best place to live (not the same) is IL.

OH I consider to be within my local area and I'm far more likely to live there than any other option. Painesville is still quite Democratic. Mentor is the hometown of President Garfield.

Worst is TN.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 11:48:09 AM »

Obviously if I had to live somewhere, I'd live in IL (HP is arguably the heart of the North Shore, but it's kinda lame other than the Jewish food), but IN does have Indiana Dunes...
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 12:26:48 PM »

If all these counties were part of a single state it would have 5 EV/3 CD in both the 2000s and 2010s. It would have been straight Democratic since 2004 when it was D+1 and it was against Trump by about 5 points both times. Florida voted for Dem in '12 than R in '16, likely overturning some R statewide wins.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 01:08:17 PM »

Lake County CA is an underrated gem. Great outdoor recreation, beautiful scenery, and interesting people.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 01:20:25 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2022, 01:33:30 PM by Tintrlvr »

Lake County CA is an underrated gem. Great outdoor recreation, beautiful scenery, and interesting people.

Lots of opportunities to die in a forest fire.

I do agree it's pretty, though. I voted for Lake County, IL as I'd probably be happiest living there, but Lake County, CA is competitive.

Lake County, CO isn't a ski county. There are no ski resorts there. The population is mostly in Leadville, which as the name suggests is an old mining town (mainly silver mining). It is fairly scenic nowadays and the economy does depend a fair amount on tourism; still, it's not at all like the ski counties to the north and west. A quick look at home prices on Zillow in Leadville compared to Aspen or Vail will tell a lot of that story. Mostly WWC and not too dissimilar from Butte, Montana.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 01:27:24 PM »

I’ve only been to the one in Montana, and it was pretty nice, I liked the Garden of 1,000 Buddhas.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 02:46:21 PM »

Lots of opportunities to die in a forest fire.

I do agree it's pretty, though. I voted for Lake County, IL as I'd probably be happiest living there, but Lake County, CA is competitive.

Lake County, CO isn't a ski county. There are no ski resorts there. The population is mostly in Leadville, which as the name suggests is an old mining town (mainly silver mining). It is fairly scenic nowadays and the economy does depend a fair amount on tourism; still, it's not at all like the ski counties to the north and west. A quick look at home prices on Zillow in Leadville compared to Aspen or Vail will tell a lot of that story. Mostly WWC and not too dissimilar from Butte, Montana.

Ah yeah checked it out more, Biden did do better than Clinton but worse than Obama and Bill Clinton by margin and even Dukakis. It also has a high hispanic population FYI.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 03:54:13 PM »

Lake County OH is closest to where my Grandchildren live.

Lake County IN is a place that my heart aches for.  It is an example of what selfish Globalists did to our industrial base.  "Post-Industrial" is a kind way of saying that corporate scumbags sent American jobs packing with no meaningful employment for the folks left behind.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 04:28:19 PM »

TN: MS Delta county , large portion of black population isn't native but actually from the prison

MI: Very interesting one, included a black resort for the black middle class of Chicago and Detroit. Used to be quite Democratic for rural Michigan even such as being the only rural county outside of the UP that Humphrey won.

IN: partial Chicaco exurban/suburban county but mostly based around its own city of Gary which is a very declining post industrial city.

IL: Despite being very close to its Indiana counterpart it isn't that similar. Does include the post industrial cities like Waukegan but these have actually grown quite a bit due to hispanic growth. Overall mostly a county known for upscale suburbs with 2 post industrial satellite cities and a few exurban areas.

CA: Atypical county in CA being the only real remaining  WWC county that still votes Democratic and not due to hipsters or weed farmers.

MN:  Iron Range,Whitest county in the nation that Biden and Hillary won. Has voted straight Democrat since 1936 although the previous 2 wins have been quite narrow. Very Scandanivan and of course WWC.
MT: Mix of WWC areas with a few touristy areas and a more integrated reservation making the county 23% Native. Generally has followed the state as a whole politically from what I can see. Obama did win it in 08 but has voted within 5 points of the state for all recent elections.

OH: WWC Cleveland suburbia/exurbia from what I can see. Had strong R trends like most of NE Ohio.

OR: Rural Eastern Oregon county with very low population, very Republican of course.

SD: Rural Eastern County, voted narrowly for Obama in 08 but has trended hard right since.

So to BRTD, the most pro Biden County is Lake County IL.  The longest D streak is Lake County MN. Lake County TN has probably the most times voting Democrat but it is now a very R County.

Let's just start eliminating - definitely NOT Tennessee. Not interested in jailbirds and rural white southerners. The one in Oregon is, frankly, fairly unremarkable - yet another rural, white, Republican county. And apparently it's part of the 'High Desert' of Oregon. Let's go right ahead and eliminate it. SD's is also similarly homogeneous and very rural and unremarkable, so I'll eliminate it, too. I'm left with:

CA, CO, FL, IL, IN, OH, MI, MN, MT

The one in CA, like most of NorCal excluding the far northeast, seems nice. Don't know where you're getting it being very white working class given that it's only 64% white, and the median income doesn't seem to be too low, either. It's also left-wing, not extremely far from where I currently live (closer than all the others for sure), urban and the largest city, Clearlake, seems nice. Definitely not eliminating it.

The one in CO, as you said, is ski country. It seems decent, but I think on the whole I'd prefer Lake County, CA.

Now it's Lake County CA versus Lake County FL. FL's is like enough other counties in FL. Boring on the whole and I still prefer the one in CA.

Now it's Lake County CA versus Lake County IL. I like the look of IL's Lake County - nice and suburban, affluent, diverse, etcetra. Also it's liberal and educated. So this is a pretty hard pick. Gun to my head though I would still choose Lake County CA.

Lake County CA versus Lake County IN. Definitely the one in my home state - IN's is too WWC and its demographics aren't too interesting. It's on the decline. Boring. I'd much prefer Lake County, IL, over Lake County, IN, and Lake County, CA, is better than either.

I like that Lake County, OH, is suburbanish and I like where it's located. But like Lake County, IL and Lake County, IN, it'd be too cold (this is something I forgot to consider earlier). And moreover it's 96% white. Way too white and it's still like the one in IN inthat it's declining in terms of economy. There are enough other counties like this one that I could choose, so definitely not this county.

Lake County MN is like the other three Midwestern Lake Counties I've looked at thus far but it's more rural, white and liberal. Also WWC though. I like that it was Hillary Clinton's whitest county and the people seem good, but no. It would also be way too cold.

I don't care from Lake County, MI - it's one of those many square counties in the state that has few people and is fairly Republican. Too white, too cold, too conservative, too boring.

Lake County, MT, goes last, and to keep this one short - it loses to Lake County, CA.

Basically my favourite is Lake County, CA, the one in my own state.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 04:29:11 PM »

Biden's whitest county was apparently Carroll County, NH (though yes, Lake County was Hillary Clinton's whitest county).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 04:30:56 PM »

Yep I came to the same conclusion. At the very least it's better than all the other Lake Counties.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 05:06:30 PM »

Lake County Oregon contains the most desolate and remote landscapes I’ve ever experienced. Far and away winner. But to be fair it’s the only Lake County I’ve ever visited.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2022, 05:09:58 PM »

Wow!

Very good question and haven't been to all of the counties on the list.

Of the ones I have been to would definitely go with either Lake County, California or Lake County, Tennessee.

Nothing against Lake County IL, OH, or most of the others on the list but will happily take the Land of the Lakes or some Whitewater rafting in Cali any day over the alternatives....
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2022, 05:14:58 PM »

Good question - I chose IL over IN narrowly, but I'd be interested in OR and CO.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2022, 07:22:01 PM »

Given my preferences and general outlook, it's going to be one of the ones in the West. That narrows it to CA, CO, MT, and OR.

CA, while definitely underrated in some ways, has had over 50% of the county burn down from forest fires over the past 7 years. Poverty is rampant even by rural California standards, and the lake is horribly polluted.

CO does not have any resorts within its borders, but based on its proximity to Summit County, and its voting patterns, it appears to be part of "ski country" culturally. After more than a year of living in a ski town, I've unfortunately discovered that there are particular social pathologies that they are prone to: highly transient population, rampant welfare and benefits fraud, horrific drug problems, a certain incredibly irresponsible approach to life and an unfortunate tendency to attract a certain type of person with a predilection toward all of the above*. I've decided that once I move on from Tahoe sometime this spring I prefer to live in a more normal town an hour or so from the skiing and get my fix in on the weekends.

*all these things mostly describe the transplants; the locals have their heads screwed much more tightly on their shoulders, but there are a lot more transplants and second home owners than actual locals.

OR: too desolate and remote for me, even though it seems like a great place to visit. My preferred living situation is a town of a few thousand to ~15,000 people about an hour or so from a decent sized city.

MT: Flathead Lake is an awesome place, it fits my preferred living arrangement, Polson seems like a nice town, and the much bigger cities (by Montana standards) of Kalispell and Missoula are easily accessible. I can also still get my skiing fix easily, with three areas between an hour and an hour and a half away. Once I get settled into my career using my STEM degree, I bet I could work out an arrangement where I get a job in one of the nearby bigger cities, work in person two or three times a week, and work from home the rest of the time, avoiding a long commute every day.

Montana is the hands down winner.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2022, 07:37:26 PM »

IL or MN.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2022, 08:02:42 PM »

Lake County Ohio  Used to be considered something of a swing county. Even a bellwether. As noted it has gone to the right. It's always been traditionally ventriditionally middle class to upper middle class depending on the part of the county, the Porsche's bordering kyobordering cuyahoga county not so much, and have a notable African American population
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2022, 08:16:31 PM »

Lake County Ohio  Used to be considered something of a swing county. Even a bellwether. As noted it has gone to the right. It's always been traditionally ventriditionally middle class to upper middle class depending on the part of the county, the Porsche's bordering kyobordering cuyahoga county not so much, and have a notable African American population

Good to know the Porsche dealerships in Ohio have a diverse customer base.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2022, 10:27:54 PM »

The best you can say about Lake, CA compared to these others is, at least it has a lake contained in it to actually justify the name.

The towns are fairly quaint, and the backwoods to the South are [or were depending on the fires] nice, great times paintballing in those canyons...so I see what Mr. Dule is trying to say...but I can't entirely agree.

The problem is, it's mostly burnt down, and even before the fires, everything north of 20 is just...wasteland. Neither the chill and refreshing niceness of the redwoods to The West, nor the artisan atmosphere of Napa to The South, the down-home feel of the Sacramento Valley to the East...not even alpine like Trinity to the distant North.

Montana or Oregon are better, I think Montana edges it out.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2022, 11:06:17 PM »

Lake, MN, was the only Hoover '32 county in the state, largely because of a strong showing for Norman Thomas. In '36, however, it was FDR's best county in the state, while one other (Otter Tail, known for once being full of Finnish CPUSA supporters), flipped the other way. As a lover of Lake Superior's labor history and general frostiness, it would be my pick.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies