Petition to recall Senator Haslam2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:25:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Petition to recall Senator Haslam2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Petition to recall Senator Haslam2020  (Read 1409 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2018, 10:51:26 PM »
« edited: November 13, 2018, 10:57:25 PM by fhtagn »

Per the Southern Constitution:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Senator Haslam2020 has not posted on Atlas since October 3rd, 2018, and has missed numerous votes, as well as failed to carry out his duties as Dean of the Senate.  

edit, obviously signing my own petition.

x fhtagn
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 10:53:01 PM »

Didn't realize he has been gone for this long. Always respected him but we can't afford this inactivity in the South.

X Tmthforu94
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 11:08:45 PM »

No hard feelings Haslam, but the South needs active representation.

x Pericles
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:46:59 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

I'm skeptical as to whether or not the federal constitution allows for recall of Senators - while the elections are administered by the regions, Article III, Section 2-1 states that they shall be elected for a term of four months in the manner prescribed by the legislature - implying that the legislature cannot instate a method by which that term can be cut short. The quoted section underscores this by clearly stating that a Senator cannot be expelled without a 2/3 vote from the Senate itself.

If this does appear to have traction among Southern citizens, I'd consider introducing an explusion motion, though I'd prefer his Southern colleague to be the one to do so.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 01:59:22 AM »

I'm skeptical as to whether or not the federal constitution allows for recall of Senators - while the elections are administered by the regions, Article III, Section 2-1 states that they shall be elected for a term of four months in the manner prescribed by the legislature - implying that the legislature cannot instate a method by which that term can be cut short. The quoted section underscores this by clearly stating that a Senator cannot be expelled without a 2/3 vote from the Senate itself.

If this does appear to have traction among Southern citizens, I'd consider introducing an explusion motion, though I'd prefer his Southern colleague to be the one to do so.

That would only apply if this took place within the same body. This has nothing to do with the region's rights to recall any elected official. Senators are elected by the regions, which gives us the right to decide how this is handled, not the federal government.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 02:01:06 AM »

That would only apply if this took place within the same body. This has nothing to do with the region's rights to recall any elected official. Senators are elected by the regions, which gives us the right to decide how this is handled, not the federal government.

Then could a region pass a law stating that automatic recall elections for Senate would be held every month? Senator is still an office created by the federal constitution, and the Atlasian constitution does not grant regions the rights to recall federal officials.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 02:09:24 AM »

Then could a region pass a law stating that automatic recall elections for Senate would be held every month? Senator is still an office created by the federal constitution, and the Atlasian constitution does not grant regions the rights to recall federal officials.

The federal constitution created the position, but the process in which the position is filled is determined by the regions. The Southern Constitution clearly states that the region has the power to recall ANY ELECTED OFFICIAL by the process of petition. Senators are elected by the regions, not the federal level like the House.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 02:12:39 AM »

The federal constitution created the position, but the process in which the position is filled is determined by the regions. The Southern Constitution clearly states that the region has the power to recall ANY ELECTED OFFICIAL by the process of petition. Senators are elected by the regions, not the federal level like the House.

The federal constitution gives the regions the power to administer election to the position for a term of four months. It does not give them the power to change the term length at will by cutting it short.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 02:17:39 AM »

The federal constitution gives the regions the power to administer election to the position for a term of four months. It does not give them the power to change the term length at will by cutting it short.

Once again, the Constitution (both federal and southern) clearly states what can and cannot be done. Expulsion and recall are not the same process. We are not expelling him because we obviously cannot do that, since we all are not within the same body. However we have the power to recall regional officeholders, which is constitutionally acceptable.

Maybe instead of trying to cause issues that don't actually exist, you should focus on actually doing your job. While you're at it, be a good party leader and get your party members to do their jobs, too. 
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 02:21:01 AM »

Once again, the Constitution (both federal and southern) clearly states what can and cannot be done. Expulsion and recall are not the same process. We are not expelling him because we obviously cannot do that, since we all are not within the same body. However we have the power to recall regional officeholders, which is constitutionally acceptable.

Maybe instead of trying to cause issues that don't actually exist, you should focus on actually doing your job. While you're at it, be a good party leader and get your party members to do their jobs, too. 

This sets a ridiculous precedent. Senators are not regional officials. They are federal officials elected by the regions.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 02:23:52 AM »

This sets a ridiculous precedent. Senators are not regional officials. They are federal officials elected by the regions.

Senators are there to represent the regions. That is why they are elected by us, rather than by all of Atlasia like the House. They may operate at the federal level, but they are absolutely regional officials.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 02:26:40 AM »

Senators are there to represent the regions. That is why they are elected by us, rather than by all of Atlasia like the House. They may operate at the federal level, but they are absolutely regional officials.

They are elected by the regions, sure, but they undeniably exist at the federal level of government, not the regional - the office is created as a federal one ultimately governed by the Constitution of Atlasia, not the regional constitutions.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 02:31:00 AM »

They are elected by the regions, sure, but they undeniably exist at the federal level of government, not the regional - the office is created as a federal one ultimately governed by the Constitution of Atlasia, not the regional constitutions.

Stay in your lane. As much as you want to argue about this, the regions have the right to recall elected officials. This shouldn't be so hard for you to understand that expulsion and recall are not the same thing. Go make yourself useful elsewhere in this game (you know, like your job as Senator that you still refuse to do).
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 02:45:56 AM »

x reagente
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 07:07:17 AM »

R
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 09:19:45 AM »

X Classic
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 09:45:35 AM »

Well then, this petition now has 7 signatures.

Court case incoming in 3, 2, 1...
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 10:04:19 AM »

The regions are in charge of administering the act of electing Senators, yes.
However, I think US Term Limits, Inc vs Thornton argues against the idea we can recall Senators.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 10:26:23 AM »

Or, easy solution, why doesn't the Senate just expel Haslam?
Saves time from not needing a long arduous court case.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 10:28:19 AM »

While I'd be interested in hearing a court case on this, expelling him for inactivity is my preferred solution as it allows the South to have adequate representation ASAP.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 10:31:47 AM »

Because lazy Sestak made very clear he doesn't feel the need to expel an inactive Senator and wants someone else to do a job he can do himself.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 10:35:08 AM »

Because lazy Sestak made very clear he doesn't feel the need to expel an inactive Senator and wants someone else to do a job he can do himself.

Let’s not pretend that I could have expelled Haslam before this without half the Feds screaming about how I was being partisan and expelling my opposition.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 10:36:42 AM »

Let’s not pretend that I could have expelled Haslam before this without half the Feds screaming about how I was being partisan and expelling my opposition.

Not even remotely true, as you can clearly see this was supported by Southern Federalists, and Yankee himself even PMed you about this.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 10:37:52 AM »

Good god you two. You're almost as bad as LT and Pericles.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »

Good god you two. You're almost as bad as LT and Pericles.
Have you even witnessed any of the great arguments of Fhtagn and Pericles?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies