Petition to recall Senator Haslam2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:26:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Petition to recall Senator Haslam2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Petition to recall Senator Haslam2020  (Read 1458 times)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 10:41:24 AM »

Good god you two. You're almost as bad as LT and Pericles.
Have you even witnessed any of the great arguments of Fhtagn and Pericles?
Oh yes, good point. I'd forgotten about them. God. How could I forget.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 10:42:24 AM »

could we just get an expulsion vote already?
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »

X Yellowhammer
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 02:03:02 PM »

I don't support the idea of the senate expelling him. The Southern people elected him and should be the ones deciding.

On the petition:

x Thumb21
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 02:07:29 PM »

Or, easy solution, why doesn't the Senate just expel Haslam?
Saves time from not needing a long arduous court case.

Because lazy Sestak made very clear he doesn't feel the need to expel an inactive Senator and wants someone else to do a job he can do himself.

Let’s not pretend that I could have expelled Haslam before this without half the Feds screaming about how I was being partisan and expelling my opposition.

Not even remotely true, as you can clearly see this was supported by Southern Federalists, and Yankee himself even PMed you about this.

Lmao I know you lot well enough to know you wouldn't let mere facts get in the way of a temper tantrum.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »

Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 09:22:51 PM »

x- Vern (Sorry Haslam, but we need active people)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 10:16:41 PM »

There has never been any question in my mind that, as the Senate is a branch of the federal government and the terms its members established by the federal Constitution, the recall of Senators initiated under provisions established by the regions is likely unconstitutional. I'm not sure why some people feel the need to be condescending about this, though that does seem to be the general theme of this game recently.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 11:10:14 PM »

No hard feelings Haslam, but the South needs active representation.

x Pericles

I support the sentiment of this petition, but given that this seems unconstitutional I am revoking my formal signature, and I hope the senate can hold an expulsion vote instead.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 11:33:15 PM »

There has never been any question in my mind that, as the Senate is a branch of the federal government and the terms its members established by the federal Constitution, the recall of Senators initiated under provisions established by the regions is likely unconstitutional. I'm not sure why some people feel the need to be condescending about this, though that does seem to be the general theme of this game recently.

The argument that the regions cannot recall their Senators is weak at best. The constitution clearly grants the method of which the seat is filled to the regions. Sestak's quote before talks about expulsion, which is NOT the same as a recall.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 11:50:26 PM »

Good gGod you two. You're almost as bad good as LT and Pericles.

Fixed, although Fhtagn is my favorite Atlasian.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 11:51:27 PM »

TBH, I think that the Atlasian constitution was very loosely based on the USA one and thus when there are conflicts like this one where it's not really explicit either way, we should defer to the US Constitution. The US Constitution does not allow Senators or Representatives to be recalled but rather only removed by their peers in the Senate (or House) even though the States (or in this case, regions) are the ones that elect the Senators. I think someone should take this to the Supreme Court so we can resolve it, though.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 12:00:07 AM »

TBH, I think that the Atlasian constitution was very loosely based on the USA one and thus when there are conflicts like this one where it's not really explicit either way, we should defer to the US Constitution. The US Constitution does not allow Senators or Representatives to be recalled but rather only removed by their peers in the Senate (or House) even though the States (or in this case, regions) are the ones that elect the Senators. I think someone should take this to the Supreme Court so we can resolve it, though.
Yep. To the extent there's a legitimate dispute, there's no harm in seeking a formal verdict; though were I a justice, I would need to see an argument more convincing than those in this thread to rule in favor of the constitutionality of the regions recalling their senators before the expiration of their term.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2018, 12:55:15 AM »

I have been away for a long time, and I have been unable to perform my duties as southern senator. I loved being a senator, but I just got way too busy in my real life. I love this game, I shall come back one day. I would have hoped there would have been an official recall but so much different things happened. I am going to resign my seat. Personally, I hope the South elects a fair, Liberty Party based Federalist who can get things done in Nyman, I always wanted to get to a year, however I couldn’t. I love this game, I love this country, I love this region, however it is not in the game’s best interest for me to be serving right now.

I always tried to be on good terms with everyone and I hope it worked, and no hard feeling towards anyone who supported this I seriously don’t care it needed to be done. I hope I can come back one day, however the South needs better right now, and so does this country. The South needs a clear voice in the Senate, and I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to provide that towards the end of this term. I leave with my head held high of all of the legislative accomplishments over the years, thank you, goodbye for now.

-Senator Haslam
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2018, 09:19:16 PM »

Apology accepted! Thank you for your service Haslam.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2018, 11:51:53 AM »

I have been away for a long time, and I have been unable to perform my duties as southern senator. I loved being a senator, but I just got way too busy in my real life. I love this game, I shall come back one day. I would have hoped there would have been an official recall but so much different things happened. I am going to resign my seat. Personally, I hope the South elects a fair, Liberty Party based Federalist who can get things done in Nyman, I always wanted to get to a year, however I couldn’t. I love this game, I love this country, I love this region, however it is not in the game’s best interest for me to be serving right now.

I always tried to be on good terms with everyone and I hope it worked, and no hard feeling towards anyone who supported this I seriously don’t care it needed to be done. I hope I can come back one day, however the South needs better right now, and so does this country. The South needs a clear voice in the Senate, and I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to provide that towards the end of this term. I leave with my head held high of all of the legislative accomplishments over the years, thank you, goodbye for now.

-Senator Haslam

Thank you so much for your service to the South and Atlasia. You were an honorable senator and are an honorable Atlasian. Can't wait to see you again soon Smiley
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2018, 03:14:02 PM »

We may need to do this for our other Senator since the South has had NO representation for almost 2 weeks.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies