The Megathread for All Things Hoosier!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:00:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Megathread for All Things Hoosier!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17
Author Topic: The Megathread for All Things Hoosier!  (Read 34818 times)
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2020, 06:54:48 PM »

Woody Myers – 9/6  (20 percent were neutral and 65 percent say they never heard of him)
IN Dems are so screwed.
Story of our lives since 2014.

2010. Bayh's unexpected retirement from the Senate was probably the catalyst for the party falling down a flight of stairs.

Todd Rokita shared something interesting on Facebook that was published in Indiana Legislative Insight. Talked about the race, Harter seems more likely to be selected than Westercamp if Hill falters, but Rokita could be a last-minute entry...or he could wait to run for governor in 2024 against Weinzapfel then.
2010 sucked, but Donnelly did win in 2012.  If Gregg would have put a bit more substance into his campaign besides his whole "I'm a down-home country boy from Southern Indiana!" shtick he probably could have beaten Pence.
Plus you had Ritz win her race, which was a sufficiently big deal for the GOP to decide there must never be another election for SoPI again. Tongue

Honestly, if 2016 hadn't been such a curveball, I still maintain Gregg could have won —and I imagine he'd be the favorite for reelection in this climate. That would have given the party eight years to build up their bench for 2024. Instead, it looks like Dems are headed to being a permanent minority party, at least until demographics shift enough/some young up-and-comer steps forward to rebuild the statewide organization.
Do you think it's possible there could be a pickup of a significant number of state legislative seats?

I was looking through the state house (not state senate) districts on Ballotpedia, and a LOT of these GOPers in the Indy Metro won by 10% or less in 2016 and/or 2018.  These could be ripe dummymaners this fall.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2020, 07:42:38 PM »

Woody Myers – 9/6  (20 percent were neutral and 65 percent say they never heard of him)
IN Dems are so screwed.

2010. Bayh's unexpected retirement from the Senate was probably the catalyst for the party falling down a flight of stairs.

Todd Rokita shared something interesting on Facebook that was published in Indiana Legislative Insight. Talked about the race, Harter seems more likely to be selected than Westercamp if Hill falters, but Rokita could be a last-minute entry...or he could wait to run for governor in 2024 against Weinzapfel then.
2010 sucked, but Donnelly did win in 2012.  If Gregg would have put a bit more substance into his campaign besides his whole "I'm a down-home country boy from Southern Indiana!" shtick he probably could have beaten Pence.
Plus you had Ritz win her race, which was a sufficiently big deal for the GOP to decide there must never be another election for SoPI again. Tongue

Honestly, if 2016 hadn't been such a curveball, I still maintain Gregg could have won —and I imagine he'd be the favorite for reelection in this climate. That would have given the party eight years to build up their bench for 2024. Instead, it looks like Dems are headed to being a permanent minority party, at least until demographics shift enough/some young up-and-comer steps forward to rebuild the statewide organization.
Do you think it's possible there could be a pickup of a significant number of state legislative seats?

I was looking through the state house (not state senate) districts on Ballotpedia, and a LOT of these GOPers in the Indy Metro won by 10% or less in 2016 and/or 2018.  These could be ripe dummymaners this fall.
My expectations are very low given the state of the statewide races; but if I'm being cautiously optimistic, Democrats should be putting all of their resources into defeating House Republicans' supermajority if they want to have any kind of a silver lining this cycle. Given what we saw in last year's municipal elections, there's no excuse for Dems to not make significant gains here. Of course, in the end it will depend on whether the local parties are up to the task.

Hamilton County Dems have been more bullish in their communications of late, FWIW. The email I got yesterday seeking candidates for county-level office made it clear they think they have a decent chance of flipping some offices and are looking for quality wave insurance. We'll see if that turns out to be justified.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2020, 07:00:25 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2020, 07:04:23 AM by StateBoiler »

IN Dems are so screwed.

Donnelly won in 2012 because the Republicans nominated a dumbsh**t that defeated a very popular Senator.

The whole actions of 2016 can't be discounted either. We entered the year with a 3-way Senate Republican primary leading to maybe a Tea Party Representative going on to November and a Governor Pence that was going to face a tough re-election fight from a Democratic Party eager to face him, to the 3rd place in that Senate primary replacing the resigning Lieutenant Governor, and then himself becoming the nominee for Governor when Pence was selected for the vice-presidential nod. And national events made it a wave year for the state GOP.

Really when was the last good year for Indiana Democrats, 2008? I know Donnelly won in 2012 unexpectedly, but that was before I moved here and Daniels won re-election easily and the state legislature was still Republican.
I think this year could have some silver linings for Indiana Dems if Hale wins, Hill gets nominated and then loses, and the Dems pick up a significant number of state house of representatives seats.  The latter one would be interesting, maybe exposing some of those Marion and Hamilton County districts as dummymanders.

Well I'm not voting for Hill at the Convention for precisely that reason. I haven't decided between Harter and Westercamp yet.

What's the ceiling though on how many State House seats they take, 5? 10? Well congrats, they went from Republican supermajorities to Republican big majorities. If there's going to be a Democrat year it's going to be this one, unfortunately for them our Governor has done a great job, their nominee - a former Health Commissioner in the middle of the largest health crisis in some time - is a complete non-entity, there's no Senate race, and in wide vast sections of the state the Democratic Party might as well be the Libertarians, because they have just as much chance of winning: zero. It's why I'm all gung-ho on a new party being formed to the right of Democrats, left of Republicans that can challenge the Republicans. How many years of failure does a party have to live through before they realize what they stand for is the problem? If they want to be a city and a couple well-to-do suburbs party only, great, they'll never win statewide or gain control of the legislatures ever again.

The left of the party rebuilding it, Courtney Tritch's candidacy and what an abject failure that was when compared to Tommy Schrader 2 years prior - a candidate with no money that was completely disowned by the party after he won the primary - told me they have no clue on what to do.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2020, 09:53:18 AM »

IN Dems are so screwed.

Donnelly won in 2012 because the Republicans nominated a dumbsh**t that defeated a very popular Senator.

The whole actions of 2016 can't be discounted either. We entered the year with a 3-way Senate Republican primary leading to maybe a Tea Party Representative going on to November and a Governor Pence that was going to face a tough re-election fight from a Democratic Party eager to face him, to the 3rd place in that Senate primary replacing the resigning Lieutenant Governor, and then himself becoming the nominee for Governor when Pence was selected for the vice-presidential nod. And national events made it a wave year for the state GOP.

Really when was the last good year for Indiana Democrats, 2008? I know Donnelly won in 2012 unexpectedly, but that was before I moved here and Daniels won re-election easily and the state legislature was still Republican.
I think this year could have some silver linings for Indiana Dems if Hale wins, Hill gets nominated and then loses, and the Dems pick up a significant number of state house of representatives seats.  The latter one would be interesting, maybe exposing some of those Marion and Hamilton County districts as dummymanders.

Well I'm not voting for Hill at the Convention for precisely that reason. I haven't decided between Harter and Westercamp yet.

What's the ceiling though on how many State House seats they take, 5? 10? Well congrats, they went from Republican supermajorities to Republican big majorities. If there's going to be a Democrat year it's going to be this one, unfortunately for them our Governor has done a great job, their nominee - a former Health Commissioner in the middle of the largest health crisis in some time - is a complete non-entity, there's no Senate race, and in wide vast sections of the state the Democratic Party might as well be the Libertarians, because they have just as much chance of winning: zero. It's why I'm all gung-ho on a new party being formed to the right of Democrats, left of Republicans that can challenge the Republicans. How many years of failure does a party have to live through before they realize what they stand for is the problem? If they want to be a city and a couple well-to-do suburbs party only, great, they'll never win statewide or gain control of the legislatures ever again.

The left of the party rebuilding it, Courtney Tritch's candidacy and what an abject failure that was when compared to Tommy Schrader 2 years prior - a candidate with no money that was completely disowned by the party after he won the primary - told me they have no clue on what to do.
That's the problem.  Not to mention the Indiana Dems' bench is all but decimated.  The only three candidates that would even have a sliver of a shot- Buttigieg, Donnelly, and Hogsett- aren't running, and for valid and obvious reasons.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2020, 10:06:46 AM »

IN Dems are so screwed.

That's the problem.  Not to mention the Indiana Dems' bench is all but decimated.  The only three candidates that would even have a sliver of a shot- Buttigieg, Donnelly, and Hogsett- aren't running, and for valid and obvious reasons.

The Senate is gone for good, but the Democrats in Indiana could still get the governorship and other statewide offices (though that'll probably become impossible after the next few cycles) and also have IN-05 (and, at a stretch, IN-02) to focus on.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2020, 02:32:34 PM »

The problem with IN-05 is that it will be fairly easy to reverse the 2010 boundary changes that made it even remotely competitive in the first place and turn it back into a safe-GOP seat after this round of redistricting. Flipping IN-02 would require a landslide the likes of which hasn't been seen in living memory. As StateBoiler says, people here just don't like what the Dems are selling. (It doesn't help that the state party thinks we are still living in the late 80s.) Democrats won't win here again until the voters change, which may well be decades into the future.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2020, 02:39:42 PM »

The problem with IN-05 is that it will be fairly easy to reverse the 2010 boundary changes that made it even remotely competitive in the first place and turn it back into a safe-GOP seat after this round of redistricting. Flipping IN-02 would require a landslide the likes of which hasn't been seen in living memory. As StateBoiler says, people here just don't like what the Dems are selling. (It doesn't help that the state party thinks we are still living in the late 80s.) Democrats won't win here again until the voters change, which may well be decades into the future.
What do you mean by living in the late 80s?  That they still think Southern Indiana is full of Blue Dogs just waiting for The Right Kind of Democrat™ to win them over?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2020, 09:40:56 PM »

What do you mean by living in the late 80s?  That they still think Southern Indiana is full of Blue Dogs just waiting for The Right Kind of Democrat™ to win them over?
Yes. Donnelly's "vote for me to stop the radical left" pitch from 2018 seemed especially targeted at this (non-existant) demographic.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2020, 10:07:12 PM »

Twitter of a journalist Adam Wren from last night:

New: Indiana Democratic State Central Committee tonight extended the deadline for a lieutenant governor to file to 10 a.m. Friday. The campaign of Dr. Woody Myers was instructed to “get their sh**t together,” a quote that apparently made the minutes.

Things were so dicey, I’m told, a random person could’ve filed today and would’ve been considered the Democratic LG candidate.

@DrWoodyMyers has until 10 a.m. on Friday to select a lieutenant governor candidate, and multiple Democratic sources say he favors @terry_goodin. Goodin selection receiving pushback among state central committee members on LGBTQ issues—and they would like Myers to pick a woman.

Received an email from Hupfer today crowing about this.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2020, 07:22:22 AM »

You could of filed to be Lt. Governor Truman and Libertpolitian if you are around 30.  Smile
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2020, 09:33:32 AM »

You could of filed to be Lt. Governor Truman and Libertpolitian if you are around 30.  Smile
I'm 30!  I turn 31 on July 11.

Yes. Donnelly's "vote for me to stop the radical left" pitch from 2018 seemed especially targeted at this (non-existant) demographic.
Donnelly would have been better served with a suburban strategy and much more muscular minority outreach.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2020, 10:17:21 AM »

You could of filed to be Lt. Governor Truman and Libertpolitian if you are around 30.  Smile

Donnelly would have been better served with a suburban strategy and much more muscular minority outreach.

It would be cool if you somehow became Lt. Governor of the non existent Myers ticket, because you would be the first Atlas poster to be a Lt. Governor in a ticket, and imagine what the IN DNC would think of you, a libertarian Democrat as a Lt. Governor.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2020, 06:24:15 PM »

It would be cool if you somehow became Lt. Governor of the non existent Myers ticket, because you would be the first Atlas poster to be a Lt. Governor in a ticket, and imagine what the IN DNC would think of you, a libertarian Democrat as a Lt. Governor.

Thanks for the word of encouragement!  But...elected office isn't exactly something that suits me, heh.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2020, 12:03:59 PM »

And Myers' LG nominee is former State Representative from Hammond Linda Lawson. Per Eric Berman of WIBC:

"Lawson is a retired police officer who briefly served as House Minority Leader after the ouster of Pat Bauer from the post."
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2020, 12:51:16 PM »

Linda Lawson as LG?!

Paging ParrotGuy...
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2020, 10:46:23 AM »

AG Hill's law license suspended for 30 days with automatic reinstatement:

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2020/05/11/indiana-attorney-general-curtis-hills-law-license-suspended-30-days/3108404001/

The Indiana Supreme Court suspended Attorney General Curtis Hill's law license for 30 days after finding he violated professional conduct rules stemming from allegations he groped four women at a Downtown bar.

Four women who attended an end-of-the-legislative-session partytestified that Hill groped and inappropriately touched them at AJ’s Lounge on March 14-15, 2018.

Hill repeatedly denied that he touched the women inappropriately.

Myra Selby,  a former Indiana Supreme Court justice who served as hearing officer in the disciplinary case, had recommended a 60-day suspension.

It's possible he could survive his convention challenge.  If so, Likely R.  If he does not, Safe R.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »

Thanks for the word of encouragement!  But...elected office isn't exactly something that suits me, heh.

That's exactly the right attitude for Myers' running mate to have!
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2020, 07:41:20 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2020, 04:10:49 PM by Virginiá »

Howey:

Hupfer suggests Attorney General Hill's fate up to GOP delegates

Monday, May 11, 2020 4:19 PM

By BRIAN A. HOWEY

INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Republican Party Chairman Kyle Hupfer said Monday he has "faith in our delegates," after the Indiana Supreme Court suspended Attorney General Curtis Hill's law license for 30 days.

Hill is due to be reinstated on June 17, three days before the Indiana Republican Convention, where a floor fight is expected on the attorney general nomination. “The Indiana Supreme Court unanimously confirmed that Curtis Hill committed battery against four female victims," Hupfer said. "Hoosiers would be best served by having a new Attorney General. I have faith in our delegates."

That last sentence suggests that Gov. Eric Holcomb might throw Hill's fate to GOP delegates, who nominated Hill in 2016. Hupfer is managing Holcomb's reelection campaign.

While Hill accepted the Supreme Court sanctions with "humility and respect," he didn't apologize to the four victims, including Democratic State Rep. Mara Candelaria Reardon and three General Assembly staffers. Holcomb called for Hill to resign in July 2018, citing "zero tolerance" for sexual harassment and assault in state government.

[...]
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2020, 03:00:21 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2020, 04:09:42 PM by Virginiá »

Republicans going virtual.

INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana Republican Convention will be conducted virtually on June 18, instead of June 20, due to the coronavirus pandemic. Results from a vote by mail in the contested attorney general race will be known on July 10.

"With the governor’s Back on Track Plan, we’re just not going to be in a place where we can put 2,000 folks in one location," said Indiana Republican Chairman Kyle Hupfer, who doubles as Gov. Eric Holcomb's campaign manager. "We’ve got a lot of delegates in the age brackets that need extra protection. There are other folks that won’t be comfortable coming into that big of a crowd so soon."

The Indiana GOP joins Indiana Democrats to forego a physical, in-person convention in Indianapolis. For the first time in history, WISH-TV and its statewide network will broadcast and livestream speeches from Gov. Holcomb, Lt. Gov. Suzanne Crouch and attorney general candidates from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on June 18.

[...]
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2020, 04:40:43 PM »

If state law requires the AG to be licensed to practice law in Indiana, & the incumbent AG isn't currently licensed to practice law in Indiana, then how is there not a vacancy right now?
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »

If state law requires the AG to be licensed to practice law in Indiana, & the incumbent AG isn't currently licensed to practice law in Indiana, then how is there not a vacancy right now?

Per today's Howey Politics which I'd link to but someone on this site doesn't like that, the Governor's legal counsel filed with the Indiana Supreme Court Tuesday asking for clarification in the matter on whether this situation qualifies as a vacancy. Response requested by Friday with Hill's suspension beginning Monday.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2020, 02:37:48 PM »

Indiana Supreme Court to respond on Hill next week.

State legislature in their summer committees (meeting virtually) will be looking at whether to implement rules for remote voting. They're out of session at the moment, so this crisis is not affecting their work. They had sine die on the day the NBA shutdown their season.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2020, 05:19:27 PM »

Rokita in for Attorney General. Watch his video here: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158291124408252&id=281552298251

The Indiana Supreme Court refused to do anything Monday with Hill, so he'll resume being Attorney General on June 17th.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2020, 07:09:30 AM »

Hale and Spartz for the 5th in November.

In the 1st District, Mrvan and McDermott winner going to be determined by counting the mail-in votes. Mrvan has a small lead but that lead last I saw was smaller than the number of outstanding mail-in ballots from Laporte County, which is the smallest of the 3 counties in the district.

We're dealing with Lake County Democrats here, so chances for shenanigans are...
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2020, 07:58:47 AM »

McDermott conceded to Mrvan. Mrvan had the support of outgoing Representative Visclosky and the Steelworkers Union local.

General Assembly:

In General Assembly races, House Majority Leader Matt Lehman was fending off a challenge from social conservative Taylor Isch, winning by 10% at this posting.

In HD88, the seat being vacated by former House Speaker Brian Bosma, social conservative Chris Jeter defeated Fishers Deputy Mayor Leah McGrath, who had been endorsed by Gov. Eric Holcomb. With 73% of the vote reporting, Jeter had a 58-42% lead over McGrath.

In the open HD6, Maureen Bauer had a 44-39% lead over Garrett Blad with 72% reporting. She is the daughter of out-going State Rep. B. Patrick Bauer. The AP declared Bauer the winner.

In HD93, caucus appointed State Rep. Dollyne Sherman lost to John Jacob, who had a 52-48% lead with 80% reporting, according to AP.

In HD39, Democrat Ashley Klein defeated 2018 nominee Mark Hinton and will take on State Rep. Gerald Torr.

In HD45, Republican State Rep. Bruce Borders defeated Jeff Garmong with 68% of the vote.

In the open HD58, Michelle Davis opened up a 10% lead over Jay Hart with 69% reporting. The AP declared her the winner.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies