KS-SEN 2020 Megathread: Marshall overperforms and wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:31:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KS-SEN 2020 Megathread: Marshall overperforms and wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 46
Author Topic: KS-SEN 2020 Megathread: Marshall overperforms and wins  (Read 80658 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: May 23, 2020, 10:15:12 AM »
« edited: May 23, 2020, 10:21:06 AM by tmthforu94 »

Link to debate: https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=195421514855059&ref=watch_permalink

The audio is currently TERRIBLE!! Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

EDIT: they're taking a break to fix the audio
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #676 on: May 23, 2020, 10:44:06 AM »

Dems are lucky to have Whitmer, Bullock, Laura Kelly and Roy Cooper as Govs, since with their soaring 60 percent approvals, Peter's, Bollier, Bullock and Cunningham will be elected Senators
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #677 on: May 23, 2020, 12:30:35 PM »

5/23 Debate Rankings
1. Kris Kobach - thanks to being a career politician, he is a great debater. He attacked Marshall relentlessly and was barely mentioned - he received a few subtle jabs about losing in 2018, but that was it. Gave his conservative credentials and all of his skeletons weren't mentioned to speak of.
2. Susan Wagle - gave clear, concise answers and successfully tied her time in the Kansas Senate to how she'd do in the U.S. Senate.
3. Dave Lindstrom - Showed himself to be an outsider with the competence to serve. Had a strong closing statement calling out the weaknesses of the Top 3.
4. Roger Marshall - Gave pretty good answers but was on the defensive for most of the debate, rarely went on the offensive against Kobach. Seemed a bit nervous. Was attacked for allegedly trying to get off the Ag Committee for Ways & Means as well as not being a Trump ally on trade.
5. Bob Hamilton - as I said yesterday, I was really pulling for him, but he gave bumbling answers throughout and proved he isn't ready for primetime. When asked how he planned to get onto the Senate Ag Committee, he said: "You just gotta show me how to do that...how do you begin."
Lognog
United States

« Reply #678 on: May 23, 2020, 01:44:04 PM »

5/23 Debate Rankings
1. Kris Kobach - thanks to being a career politician, he is a great debater. He attacked Marshall relentlessly and was barely mentioned - he received a few subtle jabs about losing in 2018, but that was it. Gave his conservative credentials and all of his skeletons weren't mentioned to speak of.
2. Susan Wagle - gave clear, concise answers and successfully tied her time in the Kansas Senate to how she'd do in the U.S. Senate.
3. Dave Lindstrom - Showed himself to be an outsider with the competence to serve. Had a strong closing statement calling out the weaknesses of the Top 3.
4. Roger Marshall - Gave pretty good answers but was on the defensive for most of the debate, rarely went on the offensive against Kobach. Seemed a bit nervous. Was attacked for allegedly trying to get off the Ag Committee for Ways & Means as well as not being a Trump ally on trade.
5. Bob Hamilton - as I said yesterday, I was really pulling for him, but he gave bumbling answers throughout and proved he isn't ready for primetime. When asked how he planned to get onto the Senate Ag Committee, he said: "You just gotta show me how to do that...how do you begin."

This.

Koach very preformed well, especially. If nominee (toss up).

Marshall was pretty milquetoast was always on the defensive which is not a strong side to be on.
If nominee (likely R)

Lindstrom did ok, a bit forgettable.If nominee (likely R).

I'm sorry but the amount of times Hamilton verbally dropped the ball was astounding. If nominee (Lean R).   

Susan Wagle struck me as the Elizabeth warren of this race, stuck to the issues and came off as very pragmatic. If nominee (Titanium R)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #679 on: May 24, 2020, 03:02:05 PM »

Hamilton "scammed" my very conservative Grandma over a toilet flap. She has informed she will NOT be voting for him.

Flapgate
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #680 on: May 24, 2020, 03:07:15 PM »

I watched bits of it & was surprised how heavily agriculture featured even for a state like Kansas- I did love how everyone brings out their family farm story.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #681 on: May 26, 2020, 03:32:51 PM »

I watched bits of it & was surprised how heavily agriculture featured even for a state like Kansas- I did love how everyone brings out their family farm story.
The topic of the debate was focused specifically on agriculture/rural issues. Usually the emphasis isn't quite as heavy! You're right though, almost every Kansan (myself included) can share several personal agricultural/farming stories at the drop of a hat.

I will say, and I brought up in commentary during the debate, that I was mightily disappointed how coronavirus wasn't mentioned at all during the debate, no questions on it or anything. It has had an effect on every part of our life, especially in rural hospitals.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #682 on: May 26, 2020, 03:35:40 PM »

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/kansas/articles/2020-05-26/marshall-fights-to-be-doc-on-ballot-for-kansas-senate-race

Marshall requested to be listed as "Roger 'Doc' Marshall" on the ballot. The request by the Secretary of State's office (also a Republican) and will now be decided by the state board.

Per Kansas law, he can't be listed as "Doctor Roger Marshall" - titles aren't allowed, professional or otherwise, as they can give candidates unfair advantage. Hence why he is trying to add it via the nickname route, which is allowed.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #683 on: May 26, 2020, 03:44:27 PM »

Wagle is awful. 0 chance. She really did sound like Pelosi. Not forceful or conservative at all. Lindstrom did very well though. Same for Kobach.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #684 on: May 26, 2020, 03:47:47 PM »

Despite being smart enough to know that Kobach could very well lose us the race, the debate sealed the deal for me. I would totally vote for him if I could.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #685 on: May 26, 2020, 03:50:23 PM »

Wagle is awful. 0 chance. She really did sound like Pelosi. Not forceful or conservative at all.

Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #686 on: May 26, 2020, 04:02:11 PM »

Wagle is awful. 0 chance. She really did sound like Pelosi. Not forceful or conservative at all.

Would it ease your worries if I said Hamilton and Marshall also sounded like they bags over their heads as well?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #687 on: May 26, 2020, 04:05:09 PM »

Wagle is awful. 0 chance. She really did sound like Pelosi. Not forceful or conservative at all. Lindstrom did very well though. Same for Kobach.
Respectfully, I disagree completely - she gave the most clear, policy-driven answers of the lot. Despite Kobach's bogus claim, she has a proven conservative record during her time in the State Senate and has been FAR more effective at implementing conservative policies in the state than he has. She stuck to the issues and didn't attack her opponents. Kobach is an excellent debater - that is what happens when you're an attorney-turned-career politician who loves nothing more than the limelight. It doesn't translate to being able to win in November, or be an effective legislator. I want my representatives to be solution-driven legislators who will work to make deals for the state, not national talking heads who are on Fox News every night.

Being in North Carolina, you know as well how difficult it will be for Republicans to keep the Senate in November. We need a nominee in this race who can win comfortably in November - Marshall and Wagle (and possibly Lindstrom) would do that. Kobach, on the other hand, will keep the race a toss-up and require Republicans to spend a couple million here, money that could be going to help Tillis, Collins and other Republicans who need help.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #688 on: May 26, 2020, 04:14:54 PM »

Respectfully, I disagree completely - she gave the most clear, policy-driven answers of the lot. Despite Kobach's bogus claim, she has a proven conservative record during her time in the State Senate and has been FAR more effective at implementing conservative policies in the state than he has. She stuck to the issues and didn't attack her opponents. Kobach is an excellent debater - that is what happens when you're an attorney-turned-career politician who loves nothing more than the limelight. It doesn't translate to being able to win in November, or be an effective legislator. I want my representatives to be solution-driven legislators who will work to make deals for the state, not national talking heads who are on Fox News every night.

Being in North Carolina, you know as well how difficult it will be for Republicans to keep the Senate in November. We need a nominee in this race who can win comfortably in November - Marshall and Wagle (and possibly Lindstrom) would do that. Kobach, on the other hand, will keep the race a toss-up and require Republicans to spend a couple million here, money that could be going to help Tillis, Collins and other Republicans who need help.

Wagle may be fine establishment wise, but lord knows she won't be doing any real fighting for conservative values. If I wanted Bollier, I'd vote for Bollier. As for Marshall, he felt untrustworthy as all hell and I didn't like how either of them acted like Democrats, offering goodies like government health insurance or internet access for votes. Lindstrom was fine and I could see myself voting for him (assuming I lived in KS I mean lol), but I'd need to see polls first tbh. Still, Kobach really did amazingly. Reassured every policy concern I had about him. Still, you do make a good point about not wanting to lose Tillis.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #689 on: May 28, 2020, 12:05:24 PM »

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #690 on: May 28, 2020, 12:26:35 PM »

I've been saying this for a long time: Marshall is going to win the primary. They're not going to nominate Kobach again, they know he's a risky bet.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #691 on: May 28, 2020, 12:27:31 PM »

I've been saying this for a long time: Marshall is going to win the primary. They're not going to nominate Kobach again, they know he's a risky bet.

You underestimate the GOP primary electorate's affinity for crazies.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #692 on: May 28, 2020, 12:30:39 PM »

I think this is gonna be close just like 2018
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #693 on: May 28, 2020, 02:47:14 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #694 on: May 28, 2020, 03:00:21 PM »

Rs probably win this one but Carolinas and Harrison is a new battleground state
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

« Reply #695 on: May 28, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »

Even if Rs nominate Marshall Dems don't need this one. CO/AZ/NC/ME/MT is the path, with IA/AK and maybe GA as wave insurance, and SC if the wave reaches 1974 levels.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #696 on: May 28, 2020, 03:08:25 PM »

Hopefully this doesn't mean that Pompeo is getting in (the filing deadline is Monday), making her think her candidacy was hopeless.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #697 on: May 28, 2020, 03:22:02 PM »

Beat me to it, a bit surprised, but I think she would have had a hard time catching up to Marshall and Kobach. I still don't expect Pompeo to jump in.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #698 on: May 28, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »

POLL ALERT

NRSC internal poll (conducted May 17 -19)

Kobach: 44%
Bollier: 43%

Marshall: 46%
Bollier: 35%

Buried in this article: https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article243035151.html
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #699 on: May 28, 2020, 04:12:08 PM »

Unless Pompeo makes a last-minute entry, congratulations Senator Marshall.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies