FL-7: State Rep. calls out Murphy for voting against War Powers Resolution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:54:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-7: State Rep. calls out Murphy for voting against War Powers Resolution
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL-7: State Rep. calls out Murphy for voting against War Powers Resolution  (Read 815 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2020, 09:00:17 PM »

Stephanie Murphy was one of only 8 Democrats to vote against the War Powers Resolution today. Now, a State Rep. in her district is calling her out for it.

Is she teasing a possible primary challenge?

Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 12:10:51 AM »

Stephanie Murphy was one of only 8 Democrats to vote against the War Powers Resolution today. Now, a State Rep. in her district is calling her out for it.

Is she teasing a possible primary challenge?

Yes, and if I was a Democrat I'd probably support it. As a Republican I'm aghast at seeing one of my favorite Ds being primaried, though Murphy will still win.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 12:17:06 AM »

Murphy is the only Democrat from a district that voted for Hillary Clinton who voted against this resolution.  There's no excuse for this, especially when Matt freaking Gaetz voting for it would have provided more than enough cover for probably all of them.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 01:14:30 AM »

Murphy is the only Democrat from a district that voted for Hillary Clinton who voted against this resolution.  There's no excuse for this, especially when Matt freaking Gaetz voting for it would have provided more than enough cover for probably all of them.

Maybe a good "excuse" would be genuinely opposing it?
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 01:20:35 AM »

She needs a primary. It's categorically insane that not only are we debating what should be a legally settled matter. He needs a congressional authorization which is actually what the resolution restates, as if needed to, given that the real War Powers Resolution has already made that very clear. Our fear  of fake terrorism should not supersede the fact that the rule of law is what runs the USA, otherwise we might as well be Iran--which is what Republicans want tbh but I'll save that digression for a better moment.

But since we live in this malfunctioning version of the simulation, I think it would reasonable to expect (if anything at all) that we should not give Trump unfettered power to go to war. He is emotionally unstable, ignorant about the basic of geopolitics, a coward who refused to fight in war himself, and probably a sociopath. And given that this is a sane people district, unlike certain places in Oklahoma, I am sure most in the 7th would agree. Somebody needs to primary Murphy already.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 03:06:50 AM »

Stephanie Murphy is one of the best U.S. Representatives and I would support her over any primary challenger
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 08:03:57 AM »

Stephanie Murphy is one of the best U.S. Representatives and I would support her over any primary challenger

Me too. It's a sort of irony, that "real" Americans call for primary and we are against it...
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 11:25:47 AM »

Maybe a good "excuse" would be genuinely opposing it?
Then she shouldn't have her seat.

Eskamani ran an impressive and extremely well-funded campaign to win her current seat and would be an incredible Congresswoman. She's previously denied any interest in running and said she's focused on the State House, but she has reserved annaforcongress.com, just in case
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 09:29:00 PM »

Don't we want leaders to exercise independent judgment every now and then?  It doesn't seem like she did it for any illegitimate purpose and it didn't impact the outcome.  She also seemed to recognize the decision would garner pushback and explained her vote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 09:42:07 PM »

Don't we want leaders to exercise independent judgment every now and then?  It doesn't seem like she did it for any illegitimate purpose and it didn't impact the outcome.  She also seemed to recognize the decision would garner pushback and explained her vote.

Sure.  But that still doesn't absolve poor independent judgment.
UncleSam

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 10:12:12 PM »

why Does this matter the measure was going to pass the house either way then fail in the senate.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 10:49:20 PM »

why Does this matter the measure was going to pass the house either way then fail in the senate.

It's not DOA in the Senate.  Mike Lee and Rand Paul will probably vote for it.  And, even after Congress passed Sanders' War Resolution on Yemen last year and Trump vetoed it, US involvement was scaled back anyway because Congress signaled its opposition.  So even if a resolution fails, it still affects how the US conducts itself overseas.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 11:15:59 PM »

I like Murphy, but there was really no reason for her to vote against this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies