Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:49:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 204240 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2300 on: November 07, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »

As I said back in June when Sanford lost the primary in SC-1, I'm not surprised the Democrats picked up the seat. The overall demographics here do not support that the Republicans are radically right winged, and many people I came across in my professional and personal life all said if Sanford had won, they'd have voted for him, but not Arrington. She won because GOP turnout in the primary was poor and only the radical base showed up.

If the GOP runs a competent candidate in 2020, I doubt Cunningham holds the seat, but I'm glad our district did the right thing and put Cunningham in Washington.
Isn't the Charleston area trending D?

It is, definitely. The seat is still R+10 PVI, though, so will be tough for Cunningham to hold though not necessarily impossible. Will be dependent to a great degree on the Republican nominee. I wonder if Sanford will consider running again.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #2301 on: November 07, 2018, 09:32:09 AM »

Why is the NYT forecasting it's going to end up 53-47 if they have McSally as the favorite? Or am I missing something?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2302 on: November 07, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »

Something to remember: outside of the Atlas/punditsphere, a majority of Americans were expecting Republicans to hold both the House and the Senate.

Huh, I didn't notice that pre-election.  Do you have a source on this? (Genuine asking)

I do, but I'm on my phone right now, and I saw it a couple of weeks ago, so i don't have a quick link to post. I'll post it when I do.

This is basically impossible for me to believe when "Blue Wave" was a completely mainstream meme.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #2303 on: November 07, 2018, 09:35:51 AM »

Something to remember: outside of the Atlas/punditsphere, a majority of Americans were expecting Republicans to hold both the House and the Senate.

Huh, I didn't notice that pre-election.  Do you have a source on this? (Genuine asking)

I do, but I'm on my phone right now, and I saw it a couple of weeks ago, so i don't have a quick link to post. I'll post it when I do.

This is basically impossible for me to believe when "Blue Wave" was a completely mainstream meme.

Right, The Democrats underperformed what the mainstream were saying they were going to do. At the end of the day it was a normal Midterm results.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2304 on: November 07, 2018, 09:41:54 AM »

Beto O'Rourke and Stacey Abrams got more votes than Hillary Clinton did in 2016 in those states. That's insane.

I didn't think Democrats winning Texas in a Presidential election could happen before 2024 at the absolute earliest (and was always really bearish on Clinton's chances in Texas, e.g., and on O'Rourke), but based on these results, with Presidential-year Latino turnout and two more years of demographic change, I'd be sweating as a Republican that the Democrats could win Texas in 2020.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #2305 on: November 07, 2018, 09:43:48 AM »

This is when they stopped counting MT and why Tester is likely gonna win:
SuperCow
United States

« Reply #2306 on: November 07, 2018, 09:44:07 AM »

Beto O'Rourke and Stacey Abrams got more votes than Hillary Clinton did in 2016 in those states. That's insane.

Not really. It's easy to believe that somebody who didn't like Hillary Clinton might vote for a different Democrat.
SuperCow
United States

« Reply #2307 on: November 07, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »

I actually think that Arizona could be called soon enough. RCP says that 98 % of the vote in Arizona are reported and McSally is ahead by 1.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/elections/live_results/2018/state/az/senate/

Does anyone think that if Martha McSally wins she should thank Angela Green for winning 2% of the vote in a race with less than a 1% margin of victory?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2308 on: November 07, 2018, 09:50:50 AM »

Dems are happy to take the House and Senate in 2020 and 2022 are Dem years. This is the peak for the GOP
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2309 on: November 07, 2018, 09:51:31 AM »

In the last Gallup poll, Americans expected the Republicans to take the House by 50-44...despite favoring the Democratic candidates by 54-43.  Source.  Interestingly, Gallup has asked this question in several previous midterms going back to 1946, and this is the first time the public's prediction has been wrong.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2310 on: November 07, 2018, 09:53:57 AM »

I didn't think Democrats winning Texas in a Presidential election could happen before 2024 at the absolute earliest (and was always really bearish on Clinton's chances in Texas, e.g., and on O'Rourke), but based on these results, with Presidential-year Latino turnout and two more years of demographic change, I'd be sweating as a Republican that the Democrats could win Texas in 2020.

I'm going to be #bold and say that Texas, Georgia, and Arizona are more winnable for Dems than Iowa, Ohio and Florida (?) at this point.

You may not be too far off base here.  I don't think Florida and Ohio are winnable anymore for Dems.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2311 on: November 07, 2018, 09:54:24 AM »

Dems are happy to take the House and Senate in 2020 and 2022 are Dem years. This is the peak for the GOP

Stop lol.....
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #2312 on: November 07, 2018, 09:55:12 AM »

I'm going to be #bold and say that Texas, Georgia, and Arizona are more winnable for Dems than Iowa, Ohio and Florida (?) at this point.

You may not be too far off base here.  I don't think Florida and Ohio are winnable anymore for Dems.

FL is still a Presidential swing state, the Dems just can’t turn anyone out in midterms.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #2313 on: November 07, 2018, 09:56:00 AM »

Stop lol.....

Yeah it's a BETTER map in 2020 for Dems with the Republicans on defense, but it's ludicrous to say that 2020 will be a Dem year outright.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #2314 on: November 07, 2018, 09:56:03 AM »

Yeah, I would agree, FL is one of the few states that has a solid GOP trend, and OH seems to be retaining its R status in 2016. But GA, AZ, and TX are moving rather slowly, still. Perhaps these states will be more D in a presidential year, but, well, we have to wait for 2020 for that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2315 on: November 07, 2018, 09:57:21 AM »

Love that like 95% of the reaction Online is either ridiculous, excessive DOOM or delusional optimism.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2316 on: November 07, 2018, 09:59:26 AM »

Love that like 95% of the reaction Online is either ridiculous, excessive DOOM or delusional optimism.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2317 on: November 07, 2018, 10:00:44 AM »

So what is actually wrong with the polls?

Why do they seem to keep getting things wrong?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #2318 on: November 07, 2018, 10:02:36 AM »

"We took the House, but the Senate is lost until the year 3000.  Maybe then we'll be able to flip Saturn, but Venus is a Longshot Republican stronghold."
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2319 on: November 07, 2018, 10:03:01 AM »

"We took the House, but the Senate is lost until the year 3000.  Maybe then we'll be able to flip Saturn, but Venus is a Longshot Republican stronghold."

LOL
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2320 on: November 07, 2018, 10:05:53 AM »

I am not sure why there is much of an argument about Montana. The math is below, assuming that what is out in the counties with uncounted votes, comes in with the same split as the votes previously counted in the county. All four counties with uncounted votes went for Tester, by substantial margins.

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2321 on: November 07, 2018, 10:09:30 AM »

If Cuomo wants to keeps the GOP-IDC coalition in the NY State Senate, they'd need 9 state senators to flip now.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2322 on: November 07, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »

NYT thinks the final margin in Florida is Scott winning by around 6,000, but there are enough error bars on that for Nelson to still have an outside shot.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #2323 on: November 07, 2018, 10:11:41 AM »

Per CNN: Bill Nelson officially requesting a recount in his race against Rick Scott.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2324 on: November 07, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »

If Cuomo wants to keeps the GOP-IDC coalition in the NY State Senate, they'd need 9 state senators to flip now.

Why would he want that? Democrats won the NY Senate.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies