Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 09:36:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 212702 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2000 on: November 07, 2018, 01:59:56 AM »

Clark results coming in...

http://www.silverstateelection.com/USSenate/
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2001 on: November 07, 2018, 02:00:17 AM »

I haven't been checking in tonight, but I can't decide whether I'm happy with the results or disappointed by them tonight.  Just kind of so-so?
You should be extremely disappointed. The Republican legislative agenda is dead

But our Senate majority is bigger to confirm justices who will overturn Roe.

You need a Dem to leave the court, or maybe Roberts, in the next 2 years for that to happen.
Panda Express

« Reply #2002 on: November 07, 2018, 02:00:21 AM »

The GOP bloodbath in Colorado was beautiful. Besides Coffman losing and the Polis winning Governor, the Republican incumbents State Treasurer and Sec of State lost and R held Attorney General went Dem.

GOP bench wiped out tonight.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2003 on: November 07, 2018, 02:00:46 AM »

Is Jon Tester vulnerable? Also, Arizona is going to be crazy close.

Tester's hope lies in Gallatin County. No where else is likely to be notably pro-Tester.

Not true. Although they're smaller counties, he will likely win Glacier, Blaine, Park, and possibly Roosevelt Counties. Park is Livingston, so that has at least some chance to get him some votes. But yes, he needs to run up the margin in Gallatin as much as possible.

None of those counties have that many votes.

It's Montana. No counties have very many votes.
SuperCow
United States

« Reply #2004 on: November 07, 2018, 02:00:53 AM »

Well, this election went pretty well how I expected in the Senate. I made a couple of predictions in the house, but since I don’t follow the races at that level, I really didn’t have any idea about them  or the Governor’s races, except my own in Maryland.

The house is lost, but I was most concerned to get a buffer for the Senate to guard against the 2020 election. Maybe Ginsburg will hold out until she’s 91 if Trump is re-elected, but even she may give up before then, and in any event, the lower courts should be much improved over the Obama years.

And since the Governor’s office controls redistributing in Maryland we.can finally fix the horrible districts here in 2020,  so overall I am happy with this election.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #2005 on: November 07, 2018, 02:01:49 AM »

The GOP bloodbath in Colorado was beautiful. Besides Coffman losing and the Polis winning Governor, the Republican incumbents State Treasurer and Sec of State lost and R held Attorney General went Dem.

How's the Colorado Senate looking? I know the Republicans had a 38-36 majority going into tonight.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #2006 on: November 07, 2018, 02:01:51 AM »

Heitkamp losing by less than Donnelly is.... something. Donnelly got blanched.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2007 on: November 07, 2018, 02:02:41 AM »

NH Dems won the State House easily.

Also won 3 of 5 executive council districts, with a 4th still pretty much neck and neck with 3 precincts left.

Looks like the State Senate will either be Dem majority or split 12-12 at the worst.

This on top of winning both congressional districts means NH Dems had a really good night!
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2008 on: November 07, 2018, 02:02:44 AM »

Heller is getting blanched.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2009 on: November 07, 2018, 02:02:57 AM »

Heitkamp losing by less than Donnelly is.... something. Donnelly got blanched.

It should have been an alarm bell that Donnely raised so little money. I was still expecting him to win but the fact he only raised 4 million in the 3rd quarter was a bit scary.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2010 on: November 07, 2018, 02:03:11 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Democrats were never favored to win the senate, even you said this yourself. They won the house fairly easily even with the gerrymandering and look to be on pace to win 30-40 seats.

Honestly, Dems are never going to win with some of you no matter what they do.

They weren't favored for the Senate overall, but there's no reason Arizona should be this close, no reason Florida should've been lost, and no reason the margins in Indiana or Missouri should've been what they were, or the seat retentions in the upper Midwest. And we're looking at the increasing possibility of Tester losing as well.

And remember without the Senate the GOP owns the courts--unlikely as it was I would've taken it over the House which doesn't stop Trump's long term damage.

Arizona has always been close and FL is FL. Them losing in MO and IN by that margin when Trump won those states by double digits is no surprise.

Like I said, it doesn't matter how well Dems did today. You already had your narrative set. I mean you were saying how the Dems blew it in the house earlier in the thread.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2011 on: November 07, 2018, 02:03:21 AM »

54-42 Rosen in Clark. Overperforming Clinton's 52-42 margin by 2 points. Rosen wins.
Cape Verde
asianzzang
Rookie
« Reply #2012 on: November 07, 2018, 02:03:27 AM »

After all, North Dakota polls were correct. Heitkamp lost by 10. Indiana and Missouri polls highly underestimated Republican vote.
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #2013 on: November 07, 2018, 02:03:45 AM »

I haven't been checking in tonight, but I can't decide whether I'm happy with the results or disappointed by them tonight.  Just kind of so-so?

You need a Dem to leave the court, or maybe Roberts, in the next 2 years for that to happen.

Roberts won't leave under Trump
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2014 on: November 07, 2018, 02:04:13 AM »

I said earlier in the night this might happen. If this doesn't start ringing fire bells I don't know what will.
Cruz literally just said Tarrant is the biggest reddest county in the biggest reddest state.

Yeah, Tarrant is huge. Dems are going to start winning county-wide races in counties like Tarrant, Williamson, etc over the next decade or so, which is important because it means that Dems are going to be in charge of administering elections in those huge counties in the future. Which in turn makes it easier for Dems to win statewide, because they will do things to make it easier for Dem-leaning voters to vote, rather than suppressing the vote. Likewise in Harris/Dallas/etc (Harris still had an R county clerk - it is not going to be electing more R county clerks very often in the future, I don't think).
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2015 on: November 07, 2018, 02:05:28 AM »

I said earlier in the night this might happen. If this doesn't start ringing fire bells I don't know what will.
Cruz literally just said Tarrant is the biggest reddest county in the biggest reddest state.

Yeah, Tarrant is huge. Dems are going to start winning county-wide races in counties like Tarrant, Williamson, etc over the next decade or so, which is important because it means that Dems are going to be in charge of administering elections in those huge counties in the future. Which in turn makes it easier for Dems to win statewide, because they will do things to make it easier for Dem-leaning voters to vote, rather than suppressing the vote. Likewise in Harris/Dallas/etc (Harris still had an R county clerk - it is not going to be electing more R county clerks very often in the future, I don't think).

What were the countywide sweeps in Dallas/harris this year. I saw some GOP flyers scaring voters to the polls on twitter so I am guessing they were a bit worried.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2016 on: November 07, 2018, 02:05:55 AM »

54-42 Rosen. Overperforming Clinton's 52-42 margin by 2 points. Rosen wins.

Yeah, there's no come back for that.   Rosen wins.  Sisolak too.

Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2017 on: November 07, 2018, 02:06:18 AM »

I think safe to say Cunnigham has won SC-01 last remaining precincts are majority black and wealth Edisto Beach cant carry Arrington over the edge. LOL Democrats lost GA6, GA7, NC9, NC2, NC13, but they win SC1.
Jersey Jimmy
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.13

« Reply #2018 on: November 07, 2018, 02:06:35 AM »

Looks like Joe Cunningham in SC has this.

THE MADMAN ACTUALLY DID IT
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #2019 on: November 07, 2018, 02:06:48 AM »

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2020 on: November 07, 2018, 02:07:11 AM »

54-42 Rosen. Overperforming Clinton's 52-42 margin by 2 points. Rosen wins.

Yeah, there's no come back for that.   Rosen wins.  Sisolak too.

All statewide Dems up!
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2021 on: November 07, 2018, 02:07:16 AM »

I predicted going into Election Day that Democrats would sweep all of the statewide offices. My prediction was correct. I voted for Polis, Young, and Weiser, as I have made clear, so I did, in a way, help to make it happen. However, I also voted for Williams, who has, unfortunately and predictably, lost. Tipton did survive by ~9 points. Lamborn, however, was held under the 60% mark for the first time since 2006, and Rose-Spaulding did manage to do 4% better than Misty Plowright did in 2016.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2022 on: November 07, 2018, 02:07:27 AM »

Dems also appear to have swept the statewide offices in Nevada. The R incumbent Secretary of State and Controller both lost. Sisolak wins the gubernatorial election.

Overall gubernatorial numbers nationwide are D+7, with some chance the Ds could win Alaska as well, though early results have Dunleavy ahead.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2023 on: November 07, 2018, 02:08:55 AM »

Roberts won't leave under Trump

I meant if he died.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2024 on: November 07, 2018, 02:09:19 AM »

Democrats won SC-01.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies