🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:34:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 115
Author Topic: 🇩🇪 German elections (federal & EU level)  (Read 216011 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2525 on: October 21, 2021, 05:14:03 PM »

FDP secretary-general Volker Wissing has said that they're planning to wrap up the coalition negotiations until the end of November with the election and inauguration of Olaf Scholz as Chancellor intended for the week of December 6.

December 6 is Saint Nicholas Day.

Saint Nicholas wears red and transfers money to the poor, like the social democrats
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2526 on: October 22, 2021, 05:28:51 PM »

FDP secretary-general Volker Wissing has said that they're planning to wrap up the coalition negotiations until the end of November with the election and inauguration of Olaf Scholz as Chancellor intended for the week of December 6.

Saint Nicholas wears red and transfers money to the poor, like the social democrats

It should be noted that it's a very common custom for children in Germany to polish their boots on the eve of St. Nicholas' Day and set them outside in order for Saint Nicholas to fill them with candy - providing they have been good and virtuous all throughout the year. 🍬👢🍭
palandio

« Reply #2527 on: October 23, 2021, 03:18:55 AM »

It should be noted that it's a very common custom for children in Germany to polish their boots on the eve of St. Nicholas' Day and set them outside in order for Saint Nicholas to fill them with candy - providing they have been good and virtuous all throughout the year. 🍬👢🍭

Saint Nicholas seems to have a special importance in Germany when it comes to entering and leaving coalitions.

Remember "Am Nikolaus ist GroKo-Aus" (="On Saint Nicholas day comes the end of the Grand Coalition")? (cit. the chairwoman of the Bavarian chapter of the Jusos, i.e. the SPD youth organization, November 24, 2019, shortly after Esken and Walter-Borjans were elected SPD chairs)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2528 on: October 24, 2021, 02:42:58 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2021, 02:53:41 PM by · »

I don't wanna crow about my own accomplishments, but I think it's worthy of mention that I was the only one to check the correct answer in that January 11, 2020 poll.

I will now accept my accolades‼

And I think it deserves a (dis)honorable mention that our self-proclaimed German politics pundit floated two random suggestions, both of which turned out to be painfully wrong. 🙅🏼‍♂️😒🤦🏼‍♂️

Also, the risk for the CDU/CSU is pretty limited as they will win the election either way.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2529 on: October 24, 2021, 02:51:13 PM »

There was another poll from several months ago about the next chancellor and I answered "Olaf Scholz (troll option)", but can't find it anymore. Somehow I must have overlooked the thread above.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2530 on: October 24, 2021, 02:58:30 PM »

There was another poll from several months ago about the next chancellor and I answered "Olaf Scholz (troll option)", but can't find it anymore. Somehow I must have overlooked the thread above.

That was my poll, but YE deleted all my topics on this board after it had been undermined by trolls and haters (bar the poll about Merkel breaking Kohl's record).
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2531 on: October 24, 2021, 03:04:07 PM »

I don't wanna crow about my own accomplishments, but I think it's worthy of mention that I was the only one to check the correct answer in that January 11, 2020 poll.

I will now accept my accolades‼

And I think it deserves a (dis)honorable mention that our self-proclaimed German politics pundit floated two random suggestions, both of which turned out to be painfully wrong. 🙅🏼‍♂️😒🤦🏼‍♂️

TBF you were likely answering this not based on data at the time - which suggested a Union stranglehold on the electorate challenged only by the Greens - but more on your gut. And I'm not sure if that proves you have more foresight or are just a committed SPD partisan - not a bad thing but just a recognition of  perspectives.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2532 on: October 24, 2021, 03:25:05 PM »

TBF you were likely answering this not based on data at the time - which suggested a Union stranglehold on the electorate challenged only by the Greens - but more on your gut. And I'm not sure if that proves you have more foresight or are just a committed SPD partisan - not a bad thing but just a recognition of  perspectives.

I'll admit having voted on mostly my "gut feeling".
I started on the premise that most Germans were tired of voting for the CDU (which proved to be a correct assumption), while simultaneously being scared of a Green Party, which had been becoming more and more radicalized, and becoming more and more sympathetic to the [censored], FFF, Extinction Rebellion, Jan Böhmermann's brigade and other far-left terror groups (which also proved itself true).
TBH, in the meantime I was genuinely dreading the prospect of the CDU or the Greens remaining or becoming, respectively, the next chancellor party.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2533 on: October 24, 2021, 06:11:48 PM »

Schleswig-Holstein moreover contains Germany's bellwether constituency No. 1: Pinneberg (No. 7), which has always sent the district candidate of the overall winning chancellor candidate's party to the Bundestag via direct mandate. (It would technically be wrong to say that this district has always given its first vote to the new chancellor's party. Take a guess why...)

As nobody has taken a guess, I'd herewith like to answer that question:
In the very first federal election of the FRG in 1949, the citizens cast only one vote, which served both as the "first vote" for the direct candidate of their constituency and simultaneously as the "second vote" for the statewide party list. (The same mode is still used for most municipality elections.)
Thus, it would have technically been wrong to say that the bellwether constituency Pinneberg has always given its first vote to the party of the overall winning chancellor candidate.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2534 on: October 25, 2021, 06:04:46 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2021, 02:49:02 AM by Middle-aged Europe »

The inaugural meeting of the newly elected 20th German Bundestag is tomorrow (Tuesday).

One of the first orders of business is to elect a new presidium.

Traditionally, the largest party in the parliament (SPD) is nominating the president. Each party, including the largest party, has also the right to nominate a single vice president (the CDU/CSU has bemoaned the fact that they have not been allowed to nominate two vice presidents, given that they're holding almost as many seats as the SPD).

The SPD has nominated Bärbel Bas for president and Aydan Özoğuz for vice president. The CDU has picked Yvonne Magwas. All three would be newcomers in the presidium.

The Greens, the FDP, and the Left have renominated their incumbent vice presidents Claudia Roth, Wolfgang Kubicki, and Petra Pau respectively.

The AfD has nominated Michael Kaufmann, but as it is by now almost a long-standing "tradition" it is expected that he will fail to win the necessary majority tomorrow.

And yes, if all goes as expected, the new presidium will indeed consist of five women and a man. But Wolfgang Kubicki certainly has enough testosterone in his body to balance that out (in a recent BILD interview Kubicki had casually admitted to having regularly violated social distancing and lockdown rules last winter while insulting well-known SPD lockdown hardliner Karl Lauterbach in the same interview).

The inaugural meeting will be opened by the longest-serving member of the house, who coincidentally happens to be outgoing president of the Bundestag, Wolfgang Schäuble (CDU) - first elected MP in 1972.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2535 on: October 26, 2021, 04:00:39 AM »

New Bundestag is formally in office now.

Kind of weird that Angela Merkel is on the VIP visitor bench since she's no longer a member of the body. It's also the last hours of her being formal chancellor, as the cabinet will be relieved later today and continue serving as acting government.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2536 on: October 26, 2021, 06:31:52 AM »

Bärbel Bas (SPD) elected Bundestag president with 576 votes. 90 Nays, 58 present. She's the third woman in the position and third Social Democrat in post-war history.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2537 on: October 26, 2021, 08:54:53 AM »

As expected, Özoğuz, Magwas, Roth, Kubicki, and Pau have been elected Bundestag vice presidents, while Michael Kaufmann has been not. The AfD is now deciding whether to send Kaufmann on to further ballots.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2538 on: October 26, 2021, 09:21:15 AM »

I find it astonishing that there are 736 members. That's for sure too much, but I'd trade the political system of Germany or most other European nations any day of the week with our system here.
DL
Canada

« Reply #2539 on: October 26, 2021, 09:41:09 AM »

I find it astonishing that there are 736 members. That's for sure too much, but I'd trade the political system of Germany or most other European nations any day of the week with our system here.

It seems like a lot but the UK has 650 MPs with a population of about 65 million and Germany has 736 with a population of over 80 million - and Canada has 338 with a population of 38 million - so in terms of MP per capita its not unreasonable
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2540 on: October 26, 2021, 09:43:31 AM »

It seems like a lot but the UK has 650 MPs with a population of about 65 million and Germany has 736 with a population of over 80 million - and Canada has 338 with a population of 38 million - so in terms of MP per capita its not unreasonable

Seems a little too much, either. I think the US House should have about 650 members. 500-550 seems more approriate for Germany and/or UK.
DL
Canada

« Reply #2541 on: October 26, 2021, 10:50:43 AM »

To what extent is the Bundestag bigger than it has to be as a result of "overhang" mandates needed to maintain perfect proportionality?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2542 on: October 26, 2021, 01:22:02 PM »

To what extent is the Bundestag bigger than it has to be as a result of "overhang" mandates needed to maintain perfect proportionality?

The normal size according to the Basic Law is 598 seats. Most of the time it was around 650, and that's also the size the Reichstag chamber was originally designed in the 1990s by British star architect Norman Foster.

Trafficlight coalition wants to enact a reform during this legislative term. That wasn't possible last time due to CDU/CSU's staunch opposition. Obviously the Union wanted to protect as many of their members as possible.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2543 on: October 26, 2021, 01:22:39 PM »

So... President Frank-Walter Steinmeier has formally relieved the fourth Merkel cabinet from their posts. The ceremony took place about two hours ago. Merkel remains acting chancellor until Olaf Scholz is (likely) being elected in December. All other ministers, including Scholz at Finance, remain in office as caretakers.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2544 on: October 26, 2021, 01:23:08 PM »

Normally the Bundestag is supposed to consist of only 598 seats. In the 2021 election, 34 overhang seats were created and 104 leveling seats to compensate for the overhang seats.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2545 on: October 26, 2021, 06:38:03 PM »

Does the junior party of the coalition have a big bargaining power to set its agenda?
I believe this is a possibility because if the coalition breaks, the party which has bigger loss is the party of the chancellor.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2546 on: October 26, 2021, 06:47:05 PM »

Does the junior party of the coalition have a big bargaining power to set its agenda?
I believe this is a possibility because if the coalition breaks, the party which has bigger loss is the party of the chancellor.

That depends entirely on circumstance, but it has so far appeared that the FDP can demand the most as the weakest link.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2547 on: October 26, 2021, 07:23:23 PM »

Full sized image can be accessed via the Magick of 'right-click'.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2548 on: October 27, 2021, 03:10:08 AM »

That depends entirely on circumstance, but it has so far appeared that the FDP can demand the most as the weakest link.

It's also a case of being the one furthest removed from the "ideologial center" (SPD/Green center-left politics) of the coalition. The FDP apparently needed to show some successes to sell the Traffic light coalition - as opposed to the Jamaica coalition - to their own base. Or at the very least that's the premise they have been negotiated on.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2549 on: October 27, 2021, 11:53:24 AM »

Full sized image can be accessed via the Magick of 'right-click'.

I believe this kind of sorcery is forbidden in Missouri.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 115  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies