Trump: Nobody's done more for Christians....or frankly religion than I have."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:42:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: Nobody's done more for Christians....or frankly religion than I have."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Trump: Nobody's done more for Christians....or frankly religion than I have."  (Read 3239 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2018, 11:25:17 PM »

Trump is nothing more than a placeholder, a clueless stooge for every right-wing special interest. He could come out and say he's an atheist tomorrow and the religious right would still worship him for appointing justices who are about to overturn Roe.

We saw this in the Israeli embassy move. No president who had any political skill would have done that. Same with the birthright citizenship stunt and the Muslim travel ban. Every right wing single-issue  wing is getting exactly what they want out of him because he doesn't know any better.

More like he doesn't care to know better in the first place, he's just in it for the prestige of the title and to get the money.

Yep. Jokes on him about the money, though. Well, unless we're talking about what TrumpCo is getting, which is not supposed to be to him, but we all know that's not true, so hey, emoluments...

And there it is!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 12:03:44 AM »

This thread is a dump full of dumpy people.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2018, 12:15:56 AM »

Is it really so hard to believe that a group of voters would almost uniformly support a politician, despite his odious personal behavior, because he is a reliable defender of their policy priorities?

I think the surprise is more that the policy priorities of self-professed Christians are bigotry, fear-mongering, greed, and hatred.

Of course, once you understand that right-wing "Christians" are Christian in the same way that Turkmenistan is a "republic" or Trump "doesn't lie", it becomes much clearer.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2018, 12:22:25 AM »

When it comes to Evangelicals yes? But Muslims and other groups? He has been meh or outright hostile to them.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 12:45:40 AM »

It's true. So true. He's done more for religion than Jesus himself. Or God for that matter. He's loves religion. Religion loves him. True, true.
So in your occupation, are you usually that much of a Yes Man to bad decisions.

Trump has little interest in the Things of God.  He really doesn't know what he's saying in the vein Jesus meant when He said on the Cross:  "Father, forgive them; they know not what they do."  I don't believe he's saved in that he's never, even by accident, made a confession of faith that rises to the standard of Saving Faith.  I would certainly not describe Trump as "Godly" and I think that Christians that describe him as such (not many, but some) do a disservice to both Trump and the Body of Christ.

That being said, Trump DOES care about the political considerations of Evangelicals.  He has made their political agenda a bigger priority than did other Republican Presidents who talked a good game, and he's been a loyal ally.  And Trump appears to genuinely appreciate Evangelical Christians and respects them and what they are trying to, even if he may not be Saved and may not really grasp what the Gospel really is and really means.

There are people here who wonder how Evangelicals can stand by Trump, given how big an HP he is,  Biblically.  One reason is that Hillary Clinton is an un-Biblical HP in her own ways, and is openly hostile to religion.  The bigger reason is that Trump shows respect for THEM.  Think about it:  Why on Earth would Evangelicals think less of Trump and more of Atlas Liberals when Atlas Liberals (A) ridicule their beliefs, (B) refer to them in derogatory (and sometimes bigoted) terms, and (C) constantly assert their own moral superiority (in order to advance their moral code to replace the 10 Commandments in everyday life).  And he supports their political agenda.  Who, for example, should I wish to associate with; Reaganfan (whom I don't agree with down the line, but who has respect for me on a personal level) or ProudModerate2, Invisible Obama, Doctor Imperialism, Figs, Wolverine, Harry, and a few others of that vein that show me nothing but snark and contempt, and never seek any kind of real dialogue, as opposed to Xing, Jacobin American, YE, Technocracy Timmy, Pope Michael Bolton, and even Peenie Weenie (who rarely agrees with me).  Evangelicals aren't that unlike others in the sense that they can be friendly with folks that disagree with them, but they don't look forward to endlessly suffering people who are vocal as to what HPs those folks think they are.

Yet again you make a baseless, false attacks on my character when I have always been polite and respectful to you. Roll Eyes

You realize that you're undercutting your own argument when you do things like that?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2018, 01:26:42 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

A very true statement.

There are those who call themselves Christians who sign off on "a woman's right to choose", knowing the painful death an unborn human being suffers in an abortion.  Can you know Jesus and have more compassion for the lives of Sea Turtles?

There are those who call themselves Christians who approve of open homosexuality, and of the redefinition of marriage, irregardless of what Scripture says.  These are people who are certain that "racists" and "xenophobes" are going to Hell (and they well may be), but who fearlessly proclaim this new morality, even when it flies in the face of Scripture.  "If you love Me, keep my Commandments."  Jesus said that.  Can you know Jesus and blow Him off when you have to choose between the World and the Lord?

There are those who call themselves Christians who are unwilling to insist the Biblical Truth that Jesus Christ's Death and Resurrection is the ONLY way to Eternal Life with God.  "I am The Way, The Truth, and the Life; No man cometh to the Father but by Me."  They are more concerned with appearing "tolerant" than with proclaiming the Gospel, which is for ALL the World, but is exclusive to those that accept it.  Can you know Jesus and maintain that particular posture?

Lots of folks who are quick to apply this to Donald Trump are slow to apply it to themselves.
Have you ever read about the Christian freedom described in Galatians?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2018, 01:52:36 AM »

... There are people here who wonder how Evangelicals can stand by Trump, given how big an HP he is,  Biblically.  One reason is that Hillary Clinton is an un-Biblical HP in her own ways, and is openly hostile to religion.

How convenient for you to turn-on and off the "Biblical" and/or "un-Biblical" aspects of other individuals when if fits your religious agenda.
What a great Christian.

You never stop, do you?

You are totally incapable of a serious discussion of issues with someone who doesn't agree with you down the line.  Incapable is the word.

I cannot imagine anyone ever reading one of your posts and thinking that your point of view gave them some kind of insight they hadn't thought of.  If you're capable of this, you haven't shown it in any post of yours I've read.  You really should try it.  It's your shot at actually being taken seriously.  Consider how few people actually do that when it comes to you.

ProudModerate is right.  I also think you greatly overstate how secular and religiously intolerant Atlas is compared to other forums with a left-wing bent.  Most of the Christians on this site reject your kind of theology.  It is your God-given right to choose to live under law rather than grace.  But however pious you may be, you are not a victim, nor are the hundreds of thousands of other Christians in this country with that martyr complex.  Part of the reason white evangelicals have stood with Trump so unwaveringly is that he has the same kind of victim mentality they do.  The same has not been true for black evangelicals.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2018, 03:33:43 AM »

He's certainly done more to discredit the self-proclaimed values of Christians who fully embrace him, but that's that's something I won't actually blame him for, but rather lay squarely at the feet of those who sold their moral souls for short-term political power. Any Christian figurehead who claims to take the tenets of their religion seriously while simultaneously endorsing Trump's agenda of situational ethics and hedonistic self-indulgence will have nobody but themselves to blame when the following generation disowns them wholesale.

Power-hungry, unscrupulous Pharisees, the lot of them.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2018, 08:50:25 AM »

It's true. So true. He's done more for religion than Jesus himself. Or God for that matter. He's loves religion. Religion loves him. True, true.
So in your occupation, are you usually that much of a Yes Man to bad decisions.

Trump has little interest in the Things of God.  He really doesn't know what he's saying in the vein Jesus meant when He said on the Cross:  "Father, forgive them; they know not what they do."  I don't believe he's saved in that he's never, even by accident, made a confession of faith that rises to the standard of Saving Faith.  I would certainly not describe Trump as "Godly" and I think that Christians that describe him as such (not many, but some) do a disservice to both Trump and the Body of Christ.

That being said, Trump DOES care about the political considerations of Evangelicals.  He has made their political agenda a bigger priority than did other Republican Presidents who talked a good game, and he's been a loyal ally.  And Trump appears to genuinely appreciate Evangelical Christians and respects them and what they are trying to, even if he may not be Saved and may not really grasp what the Gospel really is and really means.

There are people here who wonder how Evangelicals can stand by Trump, given how big an HP he is,  Biblically.  One reason is that Hillary Clinton is an un-Biblical HP in her own ways, and is openly hostile to religion.  The bigger reason is that Trump shows respect for THEM.  Think about it:  Why on Earth would Evangelicals think less of Trump and more of Atlas Liberals when Atlas Liberals (A) ridicule their beliefs, (B) refer to them in derogatory (and sometimes bigoted) terms, and (C) constantly assert their own moral superiority (in order to advance their moral code to replace the 10 Commandments in everyday life).  And he supports their political agenda.  Who, for example, should I wish to associate with; Reaganfan (whom I don't agree with down the line, but who has respect for me on a personal level) or ProudModerate2, Invisible Obama, Doctor Imperialism, Figs, Wolverine, Harry, and a few others of that vein that show me nothing but snark and contempt, and never seek any kind of real dialogue, as opposed to Xing, Jacobin American, YE, Technocracy Timmy, Pope Michael Bolton, and even Peenie Weenie (who rarely agrees with me).  Evangelicals aren't that unlike others in the sense that they can be friendly with folks that disagree with them, but they don't look forward to endlessly suffering people who are vocal as to what HPs those folks think they are.

Yet again you make a baseless, false attacks on my character when I have always been polite and respectful to you. Roll Eyes

You realize that you're undercutting your own argument when you do things like that?

I'll say that you're the best of that list.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2018, 09:00:58 AM »

Also, on Jesus's commandments:

And if you missed the word "despised" in there, try to remember that the Samaritans were about the worst possible thing in the world at the time to the Jews. It gives the story more impact than just thinking of it as some random person passing by.

And, one more for the road:

So, yeah. Legalism is very much not in the spirit of Jesus's commandments, and mercy and forgiveness are.

I try very hard not to judge Trump on his actions, but this particular line of his bothers me quite a bit, because it shows his unwillingness to learn about the faith he said he was interested in taking up. He certainly has not done more for Christians or "religion" than anyone else, and in my eyes, he has harmed it. He is certainly neither salt nor light.

Of course Trump is neither Salt nor Light.  I'm not insinuating that he is, and neither do most Evangelical Christians (at least the ones I know personally).  They do view his policies as better for America than the secular agenda of liberal Democrats, and there is a valid basis to make those arguments.  (I am not the straight ticket voter many of my brethren are, but their thinking on this is far from illogical.)

I would suggest, however, that none of these particular situations describe the idea of thousands of non-Jews marching through Samaria to crash the city gates of Jerusalem, intending to take up residence.  The Parables you cite tell of how individuals should deal with individuals.  It is one thing for me to buy a homeless man a meal at Mickey D's, and another to financially give to alms for the poor.  But it is an entirely different thing to take in ten (10) homeless people in my own home who demand this, and call me "heartless" for leaving them out in the street.  The difference is in the degree of responsibility God, Himself, bestows on me regarding the provision and safety of my own family.  I will agree that too many Christians have become worldly and callous toward the poor and unfortunate, but this present life presents many Scriptural principles that have to be balanced against the other, and it often requires Divine Wisdom to resolve the issue.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2018, 09:13:06 AM »

I still think Trump is a wash in the long term.  He certainly is better for Christians than Hillary, but Christians shouldn't become attached to him or anything.

... There are people here who wonder how Evangelicals can stand by Trump, given how big an HP he is,  Biblically.  One reason is that Hillary Clinton is an un-Biblical HP in her own ways, and is openly hostile to religion.

How convenient for you to turn-on and off the "Biblical" and/or "un-Biblical" aspects of other individuals when if fits your religious agenda.
What a great Christian.

You never stop, do you?

You are totally incapable of a serious discussion of issues with someone who doesn't agree with you down the line.  Incapable is the word.

I cannot imagine anyone ever reading one of your posts and thinking that your point of view gave them some kind of insight they hadn't thought of.  If you're capable of this, you haven't shown it in any post of yours I've read.  You really should try it.  It's your shot at actually being taken seriously.  Consider how few people actually do that when it comes to you.

ProudModerate is right.  I also think you greatly overstate how secular and religiously intolerant Atlas is compared to other forums with a left-wing bent.  Most of the Christians on this site reject your kind of theology.  It is your God-given right to choose to live under law rather than grace.  But however pious you may be, you are not a victim, nor are the hundreds of thousands of other Christians in this country with that martyr complex.  Part of the reason white evangelicals have stood with Trump so unwaveringly is that he has the same kind of victim mentality they do.  The same has not been true for black evangelicals.

Fuzzy Bear's theology seems closer to the Bible and what Christians have traditionally believed than what Atlas believes.

Basically, in the 19th century a group of intellectuals in the higher criticism movement started hacking away at the historic foundations of the faith.  They claimed that parts of the Bible weren't true.  This progressed into what is now theological liberalism that is referred to as "mainline Christianity."  You see this in churches like the PCUSA, where the clergy I've interacted with are embarrassed by the Bible and go to great lengths to explain away any part of the Bible that might contradict their opinions.  Religious freedom for Christians is under threat, and this is possible because the majority of Americans do not follow a religion that remotely resembles historic Christian teachings.  When it comes to figuring out what real Christianity is, I'm going to trust the 1st century apostles more than a modern progressive's conception of Jesus (who conveniently agrees with them on everything).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2018, 09:37:13 AM »

But it is an entirely different thing to take in ten (10) homeless people in my own home who demand this, and call me "heartless" for leaving them out in the street. 

Since when do we have ten times as many homeless as those who have a home?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2018, 09:45:58 AM »

I still think Trump is a wash in the long term.  He certainly is better for Christians than Hillary, but Christians shouldn't become attached to him or anything.

What a great Christian.

You never stop, do you?

Fuzzy Bear's theology seems closer to the Bible and what Christians have traditionally believed than what Atlas believes.

Basically, in the 19th century a group of intellectuals in the higher criticism movement started hacking away at the historic foundations of the faith.  They claimed that parts of the Bible weren't true.  This progressed into what is now theological liberalism that is referred to as "mainline Christianity."  You see this in churches like the PCUSA, where the clergy I've interacted with are embarrassed by the Bible and go to great lengths to explain away any part of the Bible that might contradict their opinions.  Religious freedom for Christians is under threat, and this is possible because the majority of Americans do not follow a religion that remotely resembles historic Christian teachings.  When it comes to figuring out what real Christianity is, I'm going to trust the 1st century apostles more than a modern progressive's conception of Jesus (who conveniently agrees with them on everything).

It's really not in any remote sense.  But, you know, believe whatever you want to believe and if it makes you feel better about yourself, be a victim.  I don't really care.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2018, 10:14:22 AM »

I still think Trump is a wash in the long term.  He certainly is better for Christians than Hillary, but Christians shouldn't become attached to him or anything.

What a great Christian.

You never stop, do you?

Basically, in the 19th century a group of intellectuals in the higher criticism movement started hacking away at the historic foundations of the faith.  They claimed that parts of the Bible weren't true.  This progressed into what is now theological liberalism that is referred to as "mainline Christianity."  You see this in churches like the PCUSA, where the clergy I've interacted with are embarrassed by the Bible and go to great lengths to explain away any part of the Bible that might contradict their opinions.  Religious freedom for Christians is under threat, and this is possible because the majority of Americans do not follow a religion that remotely resembles historic Christian teachings.  When it comes to figuring out what real Christianity is, I'm going to trust the 1st century apostles more than a modern progressive's conception of Jesus (who conveniently agrees with them on everything).

It's really not in any remote sense.  But, you know, believe whatever you want to believe and if it makes you feel better about yourself, be a victim.  I don't really care.

Bakers, Florists, etc. would disagree.  But you can understand my logic, right?

Let's say that in the future the Islamic world started rapidly secularizing, and markets in Baghdad and Riyadh became flooded with beer and bacon.  Some people become atheists, but Islam is so deeply ingrained in the culture that most aren't comfortable with leaving their faith entirely.  Mosque attendance plummets and the new generation by and large knows little about the Quran.   Then, progressive Imams start to argue that the Quran can be interpreted in a way that allows for consumption of pork and alcohol.  And then this new generation is extremely confused about what Islam teaches.  Some of them begin to despise those Muslims who still insist on following Islam the traditional way.

That's an oversimplification, but it might help you understand the conflict between progressive and traditional/historic Christianity.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2018, 10:31:18 AM »

... There are people here who wonder how Evangelicals can stand by Trump, given how big an HP he is,  Biblically.  One reason is that Hillary Clinton is an un-Biblical HP in her own ways, and is openly hostile to religion.

What a great Christian.

You never stop, do you?

You are totally incapable of a serious discussion of issues with someone who doesn't agree with you down the line.  Incapable is the word.

I cannot imagine anyone ever reading one of your posts and thinking that your point of view gave them some kind of insight they hadn't thought of.  If you're capable of this, you haven't shown it in any post of yours I've read.  You really should try it.  It's your shot at actually being taken seriously.  Consider how few people actually do that when it comes to you.
None of this addresses the argument. You just attacked him, not his argument. I'd like to know how Hillary Clinton, a devout Methodist for her entire life who employs a spiritual advisor who sends her scripture to meditate on every morning, is an "un-Biblical HP." If anything, not trumpeting her faith for political gain makes her significantly less of an HP than Trump; I, like you, also doubt he's ever actually made a confession of faith, but he's happy to pretend to have done so to lock down the Evangelical vote. But much like when I asked you to show me where there was a Scripture that incontrovertibly stated monogamous, loving, consensual homosexual relationships were an "abomination before God," I expect you'll just ignore this post because it'd mean getting off your high horse. Smiley
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2018, 11:21:59 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2018, 04:01:37 PM by Ghost of Ruin »

I still think Trump is a wash in the long term.  He certainly is better for Christians than Hillary, but Christians shouldn't become attached to him or anything.

... There are people here who wonder how Evangelicals can stand by Trump, given how big an HP he is,  Biblically.  One reason is that Hillary Clinton is an un-Biblical HP in her own ways, and is openly hostile to religion.

What a great Christian.

You never stop, do you?

You are totally incapable of a serious discussion of issues with someone who doesn't agree with you down the line.  Incapable is the word.

I cannot imagine anyone ever reading one of your posts and thinking that your point of view gave them some kind of insight they hadn't thought of.  If you're capable of this, you haven't shown it in any post of yours I've read.  You really should try it.  It's your shot at actually being taken seriously.  Consider how few people actually do that when it comes to you.

ProudModerate is right.  I also think you greatly overstate how secular and religiously intolerant Atlas is compared to other forums with a left-wing bent.  Most of the Christians on this site reject your kind of theology.  It is your God-given right to choose to live under law rather than grace.  But however pious you may be, you are not a victim, nor are the hundreds of thousands of other Christians in this country with that martyr complex.  Part of the reason white evangelicals have stood with Trump so unwaveringly is that he has the same kind of victim mentality they do.  The same has not been true for black evangelicals.

Basically, in the 19th century a group of intellectuals in the higher criticism movement started hacking away at the historic foundations of the faith.  They claimed that parts of the Bible weren't true.  This progressed into what is now theological liberalism that is referred to as "mainline Christianity."  You see this in churches like the PCUSA, where the clergy I've interacted with are embarrassed by the Bible and go to great lengths to explain away any part of the Bible that might contradict their opinions.  Religious freedom for Christians is under threat, and this is possible because the majority of Americans do not follow a religion that remotely resembles historic Christian teachings.  When it comes to figuring out what real Christianity is, I'm going to trust the 1st century apostles more than a modern progressive's conception of Jesus (who conveniently agrees with them on everything).

It's really not in any remote sense.  But, you know, believe whatever you want to believe and if it makes you feel better about yourself, be a victim.  I don't really care.

What Carpetbagger means when he talks about "religious freedom" is the same thing everyone on the right does: the "freedom" to force their worldview on others; the "freedom" to take from others and give to themselves; the "freedom" to extinguish ideas they don't like. All by force, should they deem it necessary.

And when he says "historical Christianity" he does not mean the Christianity of the Enlightenment, the Christianity of the Founding Fathers, nor the Christianity of Jesus Christ as taught in the Middle-East 2000 years ago. He means the self-affirming "Christianity" of hucksters and bigots, the parts of the Bible he likes, as it was originally set down in American English, and nothing else.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2018, 11:47:10 AM »

I think Ghost of Ruin has me on ignore.

A baseless accusation.  I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything.  It's not the conservatives who want to sue businesses for "emotional damage."  Disagree with me, fine.  But admit that your side is the one with more power, and your side is the one attacking.

The Christianity I believe in certainly isn't the Christianity of people like Thomas Jefferson, who cut out parts of the Bible.

The early Christians in the Middle East believed in the traditional definition of marriage and opposed abortion.  This ran contrary to the values of the Roman Empire, yet Roman Christians stood against their culture.  When Christians became a majority, the culture changed.  The only reason that sexual ethics in the West are changing is because Christianity is less powerful than it used to be.

It was the English-speaking people (well, lots of German-speakers, too) who came up with the compromised Christianity popular today.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2018, 01:34:22 PM »

I think Ghost of Ruin has me on ignore.

A baseless accusation.  I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything.  It's not the conservatives who want to sue businesses for "emotional damage."  Disagree with me, fine.  But admit that your side is the one with more power, and your side is the one attacking.

The Christianity I believe in certainly isn't the Christianity of people like Thomas Jefferson, who cut out parts of the Bible.

The early Christians in the Middle East believed in the traditional definition of marriage and opposed abortion.  This ran contrary to the values of the Roman Empire, yet Roman Christians stood against their culture.  When Christians became a majority, the culture changed.  The only reason that sexual ethics in the West are changing is because Christianity is less powerful than it used to be.

It was the English-speaking people (well, lots of German-speakers, too) who came up with the compromised Christianity popular today.
Could it also be that these same Christians interpret the Bible differently than you?  I think it's uncharitable and shows a lack of grace to accuse Christians of these things without evidence.

You can be a Christian and still subscribe to (some) forms of higher criticism.  As long as your trust is in Christ, you're saved by grace and covered.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »

Like marrying three times and cheating on your wife with a porn star?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2018, 06:34:46 PM »

What a great Christian.

You never stop, do you?

I cannot imagine anyone ever reading one of your posts and thinking that your point of view gave them some kind of insight they hadn't thought of.  If you're capable of this, you haven't shown it in any post of yours I've read.  You really should try it.  It's your shot at actually being taken seriously.  Consider how few people actually do that when it comes to you.
None of this addresses the argument. You just attacked him, not his argument. I'd like to know how Hillary Clinton, a devout Methodist for her entire life who employs a spiritual advisor who sends her scripture to meditate on every morning, is an "un-Biblical HP." If anything, not trumpeting her faith for political gain makes her significantly less of an HP than Trump; I, like you, also doubt he's ever actually made a confession of faith, but he's happy to pretend to have done so to lock down the Evangelical vote. But much like when I asked you to show me where there was a Scripture that incontrovertibly stated monogamous, loving, consensual homosexual relationships were an "abomination before God," I expect you'll just ignore this post because it'd mean getting off your high horse. Smiley

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination."  Leviticus 18:20

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."   Leviticus 20:13

There are more verses, but these are the two most significant verses that define homosexual activity, period, as sin.  They are unambiguous; the idea that homosexual activity is somehow condoned or sanctioned in Scripture is nonsense.  

Hillary's "Spiritual Advisor" wrote a book that had to be yanked from the shelves for plagiarism.  Nice.  

I really don't wish to beat this issue to death, but Scripture says what it says, and on the subject of homosexual relations, Scripture is not at all ambiguous. 
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2018, 06:51:33 PM »

Trump is a pretty great guy for everyone of any faith, let's be real here.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2018, 06:51:38 PM »

And yet why are those two verses more important than all of these and many more besides:

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.

— Proverbs 31:8-9

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. Do not say to your neighbor, "Come back tomorrow and I’ll give it to you"—when you already have it with you.

— Proverbs 3:27-28

It is a sin to despise one’s neighbor, but blessed is the one who is kind to the needy.

— Proverbs 14:21

Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

— Proverbs 14:31

Those who give to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to them receive many curses.

— Proverbs 28:27

My whole being will exclaim, “Who is like you, Lord? You rescue the poor from those too strong for them, the poor and needy from those who rob them.”

— Psalm 35:10

With my mouth I will greatly extol the Lord; in the great throng of worshipers I will praise him. For he stands at the right hand of the needy, to save their lives from those who would condemn them.

— Psalm 109:30-31

Who is like the Lord our God, the One who sits enthroned on high, who stoops down to look on the heavens and the earth? He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; he seats them with princes, with the princes of his people.

— Psalm 113:5-8

Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord their God. He is the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them—he remains faithful forever. He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The Lord sets prisoners free, the Lord gives sight to the blind, the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down, the Lord loves the righteous. The Lord watches over the foreigner and sustains the fatherless and the widow, but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.

— Psalm 146:5-9

Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter — when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

— Isaiah 58:6-11

Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar? To whom will you run for help? Where will you leave your riches?

— Isaiah 10:1-3

And the word of the Lord came again to Zechariah: This is what the Lord Almighty said: “Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the foreigner or the poor. Do not plot evil against each other.”

— Zechariah 7:8-10

Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

— Romans 12:11-13

If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

— 1 John 3:17

And last but definitely not least these words for the libertarians amongst us:

“I have the right to do anything,” you say — but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything” — but not everything is constructive. No one should seek their own good, but the good of others.

— 1 Corinthians 10: 23-24

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »

And yet why are those two verses more important than all of these and many more besides:

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.

— Proverbs 31:8-9

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. Do not say to your neighbor, "Come back tomorrow and I’ll give it to you"—when you already have it with you.

— Proverbs 3:27-28

It is a sin to despise one’s neighbor, but blessed is the one who is kind to the needy.

— Proverbs 14:21

Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

— Proverbs 14:31

Those who give to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to them receive many curses.

— Proverbs 28:27

My whole being will exclaim, “Who is like you, Lord? You rescue the poor from those too strong for them, the poor and needy from those who rob them.”

— Psalm 35:10

With my mouth I will greatly extol the Lord; in the great throng of worshipers I will praise him. For he stands at the right hand of the needy, to save their lives from those who would condemn them.

— Psalm 109:30-31

Who is like the Lord our God, the One who sits enthroned on high, who stoops down to look on the heavens and the earth? He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; he seats them with princes, with the princes of his people.

— Psalm 113:5-8

Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord their God. He is the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them—he remains faithful forever. He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The Lord sets prisoners free, the Lord gives sight to the blind, the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down, the Lord loves the righteous. The Lord watches over the foreigner and sustains the fatherless and the widow, but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.

— Psalm 146:5-9

Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter — when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

— Isaiah 58:6-11

Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar? To whom will you run for help? Where will you leave your riches?

— Isaiah 10:1-3

And the word of the Lord came again to Zechariah: This is what the Lord Almighty said: “Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the foreigner or the poor. Do not plot evil against each other.”

— Zechariah 7:8-10

Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

— Romans 12:11-13

If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

— 1 John 3:17

And last but definitely not least these words for the libertarians amongst us:

“I have the right to do anything,” you say — but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything” — but not everything is constructive. No one should seek their own good, but the good of others.

— 1 Corinthians 10: 23-24

Speak up for the poor and needy, but murder the innocent unborn in the womb if it is the woman's choice.  Got it.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2018, 07:49:48 PM »

He's right in the sense of the country's most religious people caring about the same stupid s*** that he does.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2018, 08:01:43 PM »

Speak up for the poor and needy, but murder the innocent unborn in the womb if it is the woman's choice.  Got it.

So, when you can't defend your position, switch to another one, got it.  And that's despite the fact that the other position isn't any better.  If fact in some ways, it's even worse.  There are thousands of verses in the Bible that reference helping the poor and needy but only a paltry few dealing with either homosexuality or abortion.  Moreover, if most women were financially and socially secure, there would be considerably less abortion in this country.  Hence a concerted effort to help the poor among us is a pro-life position.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies