Canadian Election 2019 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:24:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Election 2019 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian Election 2019  (Read 191951 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: February 18, 2019, 01:22:44 AM »

Ah sh-t.

There's an argument to be made that this is all the NDP's fault for bucking Tom Mulcair. He'd be ravaging the government on the daily in Question Period and come off like a reasonable, responsible, progressive leader. Instead there's bumbling Singh who has a snowflake's chance in Hell of presenting the NDP as a reasonable alternative to the Liberals.

But I digress.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 01:52:30 AM »

He's really going to do it. He's really going to lose. Unbelievable.

I think it's more likely that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau resigns.  I certainly hope he is considering doing that.

You must be kidding.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 02:47:05 PM »

Lol, Trudeau is screwed.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 12:17:38 PM »

There’s no way Hedy Fry loses my riding.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 08:38:27 PM »

His apology was the best apology for this kind of sh-t I've seen from a politician in a long time. That's something. I'll still vote NDP in Vancouver Centre though, ha.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 04:48:21 PM »

How much power do the lesser parties have in a minority government or coalition situation?

Let's say, for example, that the Tories win the most seats, but that the NDP and Liberal caucuses together form a majority (we will assumed the Liberals won substantially more seats than the NDP). Could Singh's offer to support a Liberal-led coalition be contingent on the Liberals selecting a new leader?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 01:31:30 AM »

Singh has actually been the most disciplined and on-message leader in this election, IMO. I still think he'll be out in two weeks though. Does anyone think there's a possibility he'll find a way to stay on...?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 05:04:34 AM »

But what’s “a good number of seats?” It’s almost inevitable that they’re going to have a worse performance than 2015, which pretty much never looks good for a party leader.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 05:19:38 PM »

Honestly, this is such bullish-t to me. What the hell does Barack Obama know about Indigenous issues and the horrendous way Trudeau has used these communities as props? There are other progressive options in the race.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 06:27:23 PM »

Honestly, this is such bullish-t to me. What the hell does Barack Obama know about Indigenous issues and the horrendous way Trudeau has used these communities as props? There are other progressive options in the race.

He doesn't. But he probably likes Justin and had a personal friendship. And that's sometimes all it takes.

I guess I just hoped Obama was above being a brash sycophant.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 12:51:05 PM »

Have the ridiculous media blackout rules on east-coast results in the West come to an end yet?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 08:57:52 PM »

Dang!
The Final Star Wars Trailer will be airing during Monday Night Football.
It will be airing during half-time, which makes it  right after the 9:30 pm (ET) poll closing.

Interestingly, the final Force Awakens trailer came out on the night of the last Canadian election.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 12:42:32 AM »

What a gross election, ending with leaders who can’t even respect each other enough to keep their speeches succinct and let each other take their turns. Singh needs to tighten up his performance, Scheer needs a reality check around his viability as a national leader, and Trudeau needs to cut the airy bullsh**t and humble himself big time. I guess I’m happy enough to have a minority government that will need to rely on more progressive parties for support, but I’m still feeling pretty sour that these folks are the best we can come up with.

Every party failed, and every leader failed to learn a meaningful lesson from their failure. I can't explain this "bummed out" feeling, and it's especially strange because, on paper, I should be okay with how it shook out. Oh well.

Scheer really does have to go, though. He will never appeal to suburbanites in Ontario.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies