Canadian Election 2019 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:20:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Election 2019 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Canadian Election 2019  (Read 190639 times)
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« on: November 01, 2018, 10:05:35 PM »

Hopefully the Tories win and win in a landslide,

Trudeau has been one of the worst pm's ever
Muh Omar Khadr?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 11:45:42 PM »

Muh Omar Khadr?
That was a disgrace in every way.

Why exactly should the Charter of Rights and Freedoms not have applied in this case?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 12:04:31 AM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

Why exactly should the Charter of Rights and Freedoms not have applied in this case?
He committed Treason(Since Article V was invoked)  so he should have been thrown in prison for life without the possibility of parole for that crime.

He is also a Terrorist and killed an America Solider so he should have been tried for that murder not released and given 10 million dollars
Why should the Charter of Rights and Freedoms not have applied in this case?

The fact of it is, just like in America, the Charter applies to everyone, no matter their moral standing.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 12:12:50 AM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

He committed Treason(Since Article V was invoked)  so he should have been thrown in prison for life without the possibility of parole for that crime.

He is also a Terrorist and killed an America Solider so he should have been tried for that murder not released and given 10 million dollars

The fact of it is, just like in America, the Charter applies to everyone, no matter their moral standing.
He never was acquitted of Treason , so he should have been charged with that
So are you suggesting that Justin Trudeau should have in some manner forced the courts towards a certain ruling?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 12:17:31 AM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

So are you suggesting that Justin Trudeau should have in some manner forced the judge towards a certain ruling?
he should have deported him to the US
It is illegal in Canada to send people to face trails in countries where they could face the death penalty.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 12:30:47 AM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

So are you suggesting that Justin Trudeau should have in some manner forced the judge towards a certain ruling?
he should have deported him to the US
It is illegal in Canada to send people to face trails in countries where they could face the death penalty.
Fine next time the US shouldnt send Canadian terrorists who killed US soliders back to Canada for trial.
Even putting aside this technicality, I don't see why you think Canada's human rights code should have been ignored.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 09:22:49 PM »

Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 09:25:47 PM »

I am quite curious as to the staying power of this. Suppose it depends on the rest of the campaign (and on that front, the Tories haven't been doing themselves many favours).
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 09:51:28 PM »

Perhaps the only saving grace for Trudeau in all this is that there's a month left to turn it around.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 03:48:28 PM »

A week-long drip is gonna hurt, much more than if they had come out at once. I do still think the Libs will recover by E-day but it's hard to tell.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 08:45:02 PM »

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1308332/ligue-noirs-justin-trudeau-excuses-brownface-reactions-communaute

I knew Quebec had a different perception of Blackface than the rest of Canada, but this is still jarring.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 08:44:09 PM »

In any case after the publication of the pictures of Trudeau at a minstrel show - the Liberal strategy of dredging up bigoted quotes by Tory candidates form 15 years ago is now DEAD.
This is the biggest effect of the scandal IMO. The Liberal campaign had been going very well until this whole thing, and now they'll have to not only deal with some bad press (which on the face of it isn't a huge deal) but have to re-write their entire strategy in the middle of a campaign. If they lose, it'll be because either they weren't able to find a theme in time or because their new theme didn't resonate, not because of the blackface itself.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 09:23:11 PM »

In any case after the publication of the pictures of Trudeau at a minstrel show - the Liberal strategy of dredging up bigoted quotes by Tory candidates form 15 years ago is now DEAD.
This is the biggest effect of the scandal IMO. The Liberal campaign had been going very well until this whole thing, and now they'll have to not only deal with some bad press (which on the face of it isn't a huge deal) but have to re-write their entire strategy in the middle of a campaign. If they lose, it'll be because either they weren't able to find a theme in time or because their new theme didn't resonate, not because of the blackface itself.
it's similar to the fact that governor blackface spent his election campaign smearing Ed Gillespie as a racist. It's not so much the blackface as it is the fact people on the left will use old quotes or outright smears to attack their opponents for that which they themselves are guilty of
The Northam comparisons are a bit silly tbh, Trudeau has handled this much better than Northam did (but of course, Northam wasn't in the middle of an election campaign). Also, I find a Republican complaining about other people's hypocrisy a bit rich but I don't want this thread to turn into another American politics discussion so I'll leave it at that.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 03:15:45 PM »

I’m on a discord server with someone who thinks more blackface photos are going to come out. Now normally I’d dismiss this and say the damage was done, but he says he thinks the photo might be more recent, from say 2006 or later. Now, if that happened I honestly don’t know what would happen. As we’ve seen most people really don’t care about all this stuff, but if it’s that recent the dynamic is obviously a little different. I could see it leaving quite a bit of damage but also I could see it not doing anything, with the first photos having done all the damage.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 06:52:32 AM »

I’m not going to post the numbers, but today’s Nanos (last few Nanos polls actually) has the Liberals doing far better with 60 and above than 18 to 29. I checked some other polls, and aside from Forum (which also has the Conservatives leading with Enbys), they have the age relationship one would expect. It’s odd, wonder why that is.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 07:56:52 AM »

I’m not going to post the numbers, but today’s Nanos (last few Nanos polls actually) has the Liberals doing far better with 60 and above than 18 to 29. I checked some other polls, and aside from Forum (which also has the Conservatives leading with Enbys), they have the age relationship one would expect. It’s odd, wonder why that is.
Trudeau making a play for the older white nationalist vote Wink

Serious time; what are the margins of error like on the age crosstabs? Those can often be quite large sometimes, especially for some of the smaller ones like 18-29 or Atlantic Canadian voters. If a more plausible old Tory/younger progressive relationship is still within the margin of error, I'd say it's just noise. If it's outside the margin of error, and Nanos is the only non-lolForum pollster showkmg it, there might be a systematic error (against the Tories presumably).
Doesn’t say what the MOEs are.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 04:32:15 AM »

Anybody else think Justin Trudeau is insane?  

He didn't realize the Aladdin costume was racist?  Look at the incredible attention to detail.  He not only knew it was racist, he wore it because it was racist.  He wanted to be the center of attention.  I don't think he's just an extreme narcissist though, I've come to the conclusion that Justin Trudeau's reality is play acting through life.

Amazingly, I don't know if this is disqualifying though for a Prime Minister.  From what I've read, Mackenzie King was also quite insane and he was Prime Minister for around 22 years.

I always thought that of him, although didn't Reagan mention all politicians are actors.  Still I think Liberals made a big mistake in choosing him.  Marc Garneau probably would have not built the excitement Trudeau did, but if he was PM, would probably have a 10 point lead and be coasting to a second term.  Off course maybe Mulcair would have won instead as 2015 was more about getting rid of Harper vs. electing anyone.  If Mulcair won, I think if party stood behind him, he would be in good shape for re-election, but problem is much of the party felt he wasn't left wing enough so if he saw a drop like Trudeau, party would have knifed him in an instant and put in a more left wing leader.  Trudeau is safe as majority of Liberal MPs wouldn't be MPs if it wasn't for him.
Only Trudeau could have won 2015 for the Liberals imo. The NDP would have replaced the Liberals without him.
LeBlanc (who would have had a very similar if not identical team around him and thus run a very similar if not identical campaign) would have also done it IMO, though perhaps a slightly smaller win.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 06:49:56 AM »

Speaking of today's Nanos it has the Greens (!) second in Atlantic Canada (granted, a very distant second, but still).
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 06:02:30 AM »

Speaking of today's Nanos it has the Greens (!) second in Atlantic Canada (granted, a very distant second, but still).
If that were the case, then forget CPC takebacks in NB et al  (Speaking of which, how well's PPC doing out there?)
Not very well, as you'd expect.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2019, 08:45:02 PM »

Probably a relief to Scheer as while may not help him, a strike almost certainly would have hurt him and with his horrible showing in the French debate, Quebec is lost for the Tories, so they can ill afford to perform poorly in Ontario as well.
How much would a strike really have hurt him?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 06:52:19 PM »

This debate is such a clusterf!ck.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2019, 06:19:28 PM »

The Bloc says it will not take part in formal coalition or alliance. Will give support piece by piece, bill by bill.
So neither the Liberals or the Conservatives could rely on their support? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would mean that either the Conservatives or Liberals+NDP would need to get 170, right?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 03:43:54 PM »

If the Tories win Avalon, is that a sign of a very good night for them? I had been working on the assumption that it was.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 07:57:37 PM »

Still early obviously but this isn't a good result for the Conservatives at all.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 08:02:57 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies