Canadian Election 2019 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:10:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Election 2019 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian Election 2019  (Read 192685 times)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« on: November 02, 2018, 03:14:09 PM »

Have to quibble with Miles characterization of Atlantic Canada.
Red Toryism in Atlantic Canada is not same as Red Toryism on the pages of the Globe & Mail. We love our EI benefits, which is why Harperism flopped, but a more free spending, semi-populist (i.e. not as far as Fordism) conservatism could make some solid inroads here.

There has been a ~12% swing which is likely concentrated among rural Anglos. Just eyeballing it I would project the Tories picking up half a dozen rural Anglo seats quite easily and quite possibly more if the Liberals falter a little bit.
Pretty naive of you to try and say something actually relevant, tbh Smiley
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 06:10:54 AM »
« Edited: September 29, 2019, 09:03:27 AM by parochial boy »

This may be a little bit off topic, but I'd like to ask a question: why is the area around Québec City so c/Conservative? I've heard people saying it's because of radio poubelle, which would be understandable, but do radio stations really have such a huge impact on politics? And if they do, why aren't they popular in other parts of the province?

Plus, a somewhat related question: why is Beauce so right-wing and federalist, despite being lily-white Franco? Is Maurice Duplessis still alive there?

Hash once wrote an amazing post about it, which I couldn't find, but iirc the main jist of it is that both Quebec City and the Beauce are very overwhelmingly francophone, which inherently means there isn't the "anglophone economic elite" as in Montréal that factors into separatist sentiment.

Add to that, the Beauce is old, white, rural and lowly educated yet relatively prosperous. And those last two factors tend to correlate to a strong right wing vote wherever you look (I may be wrong, but it also lacks, say the mining industry that you get in Abitibi-Témiscamingue or fishing like in Gaspésie; and those are industries that tend to encourage left wing voting, historically).

With Quebec city, as Miles mentioned, there is the second city dymanic. But it also has a slightly different class dynamic, as resentment tends to be directed toward the overpaid fonctionnaire, rather than the (anglophone) capitalist and cultural elite. Plus, unlike Montréal, it has relatively little immigration - and population growth has tended to be made up of people moving in from the already conservative Beauce.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies