Canadian Election 2019
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:32:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Election 2019
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 91
Author Topic: Canadian Election 2019  (Read 192971 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: September 19, 2019, 12:44:02 PM »

I'm really proud of Jagmeet's response.  It definitely has the ability to turn around the campaign. It's unfortunate that this has to be reason for it.

Actually, I found the statement rather overwrought. Canada is, without question, the most tolerant, welcoming, and integrating place on earth. Canadians take a lot of pride in that fact, and a single truly stupid and insensitive photo cannot undo it. To pretend that a photo like this somehow makes Canada less tolerant is just absurd. And to pretend that Trudeau is like people who go around beating minorities up is even more absurd.

If that's what you got out of his response, there is something wrong with your comprehension skills.

And no, Canada is not "the most tolerant, welcoming and integrating place on earth". What a ridiculous thing to say.

The statement doesn't imply Canada is perfect on these issues, just that it's better than the rest of the world. Which countries do you consider to be more tolerant, welcoming and integrating than Canada?

I feel if I start naming countries, I will be quickly shot down because x,y,z. Why? Because I'm not an expert on other countries the way I am when it comes to my own. If only the non-Canadian posters in this thread had the same kind of judgement before making their pontifications about what they think Canada is.

Don't get me wrong, Canada is a great country, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. But, that doesn't mean we don't have problems in our society that the Trudeau Liberals are doing nothing about. It doesn't help that the only time the American/foreign media pays any attention to us, it's about Trudeau and how he wants to legalize weed or let in more refugees (which they haven't) or something along those lines, while paying no attention to any of the bad things. What makes things worse, is people in this country pay so much attention to American media, that they're unaware of these things too.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #926 on: September 19, 2019, 01:21:25 PM »

Grits leaked to La Presse that more Trudeau blackface photos are incoming, and they suspect foreign (US?) interference.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #927 on: September 19, 2019, 03:48:28 PM »

A week-long drip is gonna hurt, much more than if they had come out at once. I do still think the Libs will recover by E-day but it's hard to tell.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #928 on: September 19, 2019, 03:49:09 PM »

I'm really proud of Jagmeet's response.  It definitely has the ability to turn around the campaign. It's unfortunate that this has to be reason for it.

Actually, I found the statement rather overwrought. Canada is, without question, the most tolerant, welcoming, and integrating place on earth. Canadians take a lot of pride in that fact, and a single truly stupid and insensitive photo cannot undo it. To pretend that a photo like this somehow makes Canada less tolerant is just absurd. And to pretend that Trudeau is like people who go around beating minorities up is even more absurd.

If that's what you got out of his response, there is something wrong with your comprehension skills.

And no, Canada is not "the most tolerant, welcoming and integrating place on earth". What a ridiculous thing to say.

The statement doesn't imply Canada is perfect on these issues, just that it's better than the rest of the world. Which countries do you consider to be more tolerant, welcoming and integrating than Canada?

I feel if I start naming countries, I will be quickly shot down because x,y,z. Why? Because I'm not an expert on other countries the way I am when it comes to my own. If only the non-Canadian posters in this thread had the same kind of judgement before making their pontifications about what they think Canada is.

Don't get me wrong, Canada is a great country, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. But, that doesn't mean we don't have problems in our society that the Trudeau Liberals are doing nothing about. It doesn't help that the only time the American/foreign media pays any attention to us, it's about Trudeau and how he wants to legalize weed or let in more refugees (which they haven't) or something along those lines, while paying no attention to any of the bad things. What makes things worse, is people in this country pay so much attention to American media, that they're unaware of these things too.

I think a lot of was bad luck in timing too.  When Trudeau came to office, much of the world was swinging rightward and taking a more closed door approach so he sort of was bucking the global trend as a progressive who embraced diversity and immigration, not one who wouldn't to close borders so that is why he became a huge international media sensation.  And because he didn't live up to expectations (I think they were unrealistic to begin with), that is why all the reporting.  Had other progressive leaders been winning elsewhere, he would have got less attention.  Indeed up until Trudeau, most of our leaders tended to follow international trends.  Trudeau sr., the era of big government; Mulroney the move towards neo-liberalism; Chretien taking a centre-left party back to the centre like Clinton, Blair, and others did; Harper era sort of had no consensus as more centre-right than centre-left govts but didn't seem to be a clear international trajectory while Trudeau was in the era of the rise of right wing populism and he was the exact opposite of that.  

New Zealand doesn't get a lot of attention usually, but after Christchurch shooting, Jacinda Ardern in a country that has the population of the province of BC became an international celebrity for her response and also her changes to gun laws.  Off course much of that was she did the exact opposite of what is done in the US, even though I suspect most leaders in the developed world would have done the same thing, but outside US mass shootings are so uncommon we generally compare reactions to how US reacts as a yardstick.  
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #929 on: September 19, 2019, 05:00:43 PM »

Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #930 on: September 19, 2019, 08:45:02 PM »

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1308332/ligue-noirs-justin-trudeau-excuses-brownface-reactions-communaute

I knew Quebec had a different perception of Blackface than the rest of Canada, but this is still jarring.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #931 on: September 19, 2019, 10:44:07 PM »

A week-long drip is gonna hurt, much more than if they had come out at once. I do still think the Libs will recover by E-day but it's hard to tell.
As sad as it is I don’t think voters will care about this as much as some are thinking they will. I remember people claiming how much various personal scandals would hurt a candidates chances in the past and they didn’t seem to matter in the end. I’m guessing the NDP get a small boost and that’s probably it. Unless Scheer preforms well in the debates this is probably Trudeau’s election to lose.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #932 on: September 20, 2019, 03:17:39 AM »

No, what I got out of Singh's response is that he really hopes to capitalize on this politically. And what I get out of your response is that you really hope that Singh capitalizes on it politically.

But I would love to hear which countrirs are more tolerant, better integrated, more welcoming of migrants, and have more politically correct cultural norms. Just because Singh (and you, apparently) know a racist dude doesn't make Canada any less liberal and open.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #933 on: September 20, 2019, 06:36:38 AM »

No, what I got out of Singh's response is that he really hopes to capitalize on this politically. And what I get out of your response is that you really hope that Singh capitalizes on it politically.

But I would love to hear which countrirs are more tolerant, better integrated, more welcoming of migrants, and have more politically correct cultural norms. Just because Singh (and you, apparently) know a racist dude doesn't make Canada any less liberal and open.

What? Singh literally made this, repeatedly, not about Trudeau unlike Scheer especially his first video response the night of. The man was genuinely almost brought to tears. Of all the leaders, Singh is trying (even if its only in appearance) to not capitalize or actively "go-after" Trudeau. He went back into campaign mode today talking about Pharmacare, Denticare and small business.
Yes I am a Singh supporter. having seen him a number of times both staged and unscripted, he's incredibly personable unscripted. I found his response honest.

I think that's hard to say as Canadians we see all of it. So first, my impressions of places like New Zealand for one that fits that mold like Canada. But after that?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #934 on: September 20, 2019, 07:41:00 AM »

The only thing for Scheer to do is put on blackface himself otherwise they'll never break through in francophone Quebec
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #935 on: September 20, 2019, 09:10:20 AM »

Uhh, I don't "know a racist dude". I'm a professional pollster who has done tonnes of polling on this subject. We have a lot of racism in this country. I'm not going to name "less racist" countries and I explained why in an earlier post. I'm not so arrogant to believe I can pontificate on how racist other countries are.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #936 on: September 20, 2019, 09:54:01 AM »

Uhh, I don't "know a racist dude". I'm a professional pollster who has done tonnes of polling on this subject. We have a lot of racism in this country. I'm not going to name "less racist" countries and I explained why in an earlier post. I'm not so arrogant to believe I can pontificate on how racist other countries are.

There is a lot of racism everywhere. It doesn't mean that Canada isn't a comparably tolerant and less racist place (except for Quebec, of course). It appears that your problem with what I'm saying isn't even that it is false, but that I dare to speak so well of Canada when I'm not even Canadian. Sorry not sorry. Canada is a marvelously accepting place and a few Truseau blackface pictures cannot possibly negate that fact. Singh's lament isn't credible because it runs contrary to the experience of an open and welcoming Canada experienced by Canadians themselves--not SJW pollsters, not opportunistic NDP leaders, but Canadians of all stripes and colors. If Trudeau tumbles from this it won't be because people suddenly feel collective guilt over Trudeau's costume fetish. It won't be because they're moved to self laceration by Singh's childhood pain. It will be because they're tired of Justin's drama and just want to be left alone to enjoy the Canada that perhaps you and Singh cannot.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #937 on: September 20, 2019, 10:01:59 AM »

From the apology

"I've always been more enthusiastic about costumes than is sometimes appropriate..."

Oh my
Trudeau is a furry?
I mean, have we ever seen him around when VancouFur is happening?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #938 on: September 20, 2019, 10:30:17 AM »

I'm really proud of Jagmeet's response.  It definitely has the ability to turn around the campaign. It's unfortunate that this has to be reason for it.

There is a lot of racism everywhere. It doesn't mean that Canada isn't a comparably tolerant and less racist place (except for Quebec, of course).It appears that your problem with what I'm saying isn't even that it is false, but that I dare to speak so well of Canada when I'm not even Canadian. Sorry not sorry. Canada is a marvelously accepting place and a few Truseau blackface pictures cannot possibly negate that fact. Singh's lament isn't credible because it runs contrary to the experience of an open and welcoming Canada experienced by Canadians themselves--not SJW pollsters, not opportunistic NDP leaders, but Canadians of all stripes and colors. If Trudeau tumbles from this it won't be because people suddenly feel collective guilt over Trudeau's costume fetish. It won't be because they're moved to self laceration by Singh's childhood pain. It will be because they're tired of Justin's drama and just want to be left alone to enjoy the Canada that perhaps you and Singh cannot.

Please correct more misconceptions we have about our country random foreigner.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #939 on: September 20, 2019, 10:44:07 AM »

Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #940 on: September 20, 2019, 10:45:24 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2019, 10:49:25 AM by Walmart_shopper »

Quote from: Hatman  link=topic=305434.msg6974822#msg6974822 date=1568988620 uid=889
Quote from: Hatman  link=topic=305434.msg6973440#msg6973440 date=1568903115 uid=889
Quote from: Hatman  link=topic=305434.msg6972924#msg6972924 date=1568859858 uid=889

There is a lot of racism everywhere. It doesn't mean that Canada isn't a comparably tolerant and less racist place (except for Quebec, of course).It appears that your problem with what I'm saying isn't even that it is false, but that I dare to speak so well of Canada when I'm not even Canadian. Sorry not sorry. Canada is a marvelously accepting place and a few Truseau blackface pictures cannot possibly negate that fact. Singh's lament isn't credible because it runs contrary to the experience of an open and welcoming Canada experienced by Canadians themselves--not SJW pollsters, not opportunistic NDP leaders, but Canadians of all stripes and colors. If Trudeau tumbles from this it won't be because people suddenly feel collective guilt over Trudeau's costume fetish. It won't be because they're moved to self laceration by Singh's childhood pain. It will be because they're tired of Justin's drama and just want to be left alone to enjoy the Canada that perhaps you and Singh cannot.

Please correct more misconceptions we have about our country random foreigner.

There are paved streets in Winnipeg and Scheer's lgbt comment are about as electorally significant as my left toe.
AngryBudgie
Rookie
« Reply #941 on: September 20, 2019, 12:02:00 PM »

Maybe the canadian media is diffrent, but how did 3(maybe more) documentations of black face fall under the radar for so long?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #942 on: September 20, 2019, 12:27:01 PM »

Looks like PM blackface wants to desperately change the subject
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #943 on: September 20, 2019, 12:42:17 PM »

Maybe the canadian media is diffrent, but how did 3(maybe more) documentations of black face fall under the radar for so long?

At least in the case of the 2001 yearbook photo, it seems like a collective brainfart. No one thought to look at the yearbooks of a teacher candidate. It's not just media, even opposition research was slow to get this. You can be sure that if the Harper Conservatives had this back in 2015, they would have leaked it then.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #944 on: September 20, 2019, 01:04:19 PM »

At least in the case of the 2001 yearbook photo, it seems like a collective brainfart. No one thought to look at the yearbooks of a teacher candidate. It's not just media, even opposition research was slow to get this. You can be sure that if the Harper Conservatives had this back in 2015, they would have leaked it then.

That would've risked handing the election to the NDP though. 2015 was a 'change' election, and progressive voters were going to back whichever party had the best change to kick the Tories out.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #945 on: September 20, 2019, 01:30:06 PM »

That would've risked handing the election to the NDP though. 2015 was a 'change' election, and progressive voters were going to back whichever party had the best change to kick the Tories out.
Had Layton lived longer, would the NDP would have had a fighting chance of being in second place.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #946 on: September 20, 2019, 01:42:56 PM »

Had Layton lived longer, would the NDP would have had a fighting chance of being in second place.
No the Conservatives basically have a lock on second or first because they essentially can't go below 30% unless the right is divided. If this controversy happened back in early to mid September than we would probably have PM Mulcair instead though.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #947 on: September 20, 2019, 01:59:52 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2019, 04:28:48 PM by DC Al Fine »

I agree, but that wasn't the Tory interest at the time.... It's like a boxer losing in the final rounds. You have to go for the KO since that's the only way to win, even if that risks getting you KO'd. If I'm down 5 with a week until Election Day like Harper was, my opponent has the momentum, and I have a bomb like that, I'm letting it fly, risk of an NDP win be damned.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #948 on: September 20, 2019, 02:46:02 PM »

The military style assault weapon ban seemed like a good political move.  Whether one agrees with it or not, changes channel and due to how frequently mass shootings happen south of the border, I suspect vast majority agree civilians should not own these weapons.  Off course difficulty is in how you define military style assault weapon, but unless you are a gun owner who owns a semi-automatic, you probably don't care.  Also puts Tories in tough spot.  Come out against as I suspect they will and risk looking too right wing for centrist suburban voters they need to gain.  Come out in support (I know they want, but if they did hypothetically) and risk angering the gun lobby and thus helping the PPC and the Tories need to keep PPC in low single digits if they want to have even a remote chance at winning.
adma
« Reply #949 on: September 20, 2019, 05:50:43 PM »

What? Singh literally made this, repeatedly, not about Trudeau unlike Scheer especially his first video response the night of. The man was genuinely almost brought to tears. Of all the leaders, Singh is trying (even if its only in appearance) to not capitalize or actively "go-after" Trudeau. He went back into campaign mode today talking about Pharmacare, Denticare and small business.

Indeed, I can see the Cons tripped up by "Justin Derangement Syndrome"--that is, so aggressively seeking blots on his record, the more blackface and whatever photos the better, that they turn more voters on than off: "enough, already"...
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies