Canadian Election 2019
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:55:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Election 2019
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 91
Author Topic: Canadian Election 2019  (Read 191243 times)
Pandaguineapig
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: September 18, 2019, 10:31:43 PM »

Question;
You can say that Northam's yearbook photo went undetected for so many years because he was a nobody when it was taken and that the media (out of bias or poor journalistic practice) never looked into his background. Trudeau was the son of a former prime Minister and had been groomed for political office for much his adult life, how did nobody find this until now?
AngryBudgie
Rookie
« Reply #901 on: September 19, 2019, 12:01:31 AM »

A month is an eternity in American politics. Not sure if its the same in Canada though.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #902 on: September 19, 2019, 12:12:18 AM »

I am quite curious as to the staying power of this. Suppose it depends on the rest of the campaign (and on that front, the Tories haven't been doing themselves many favours).

It'll be the story of the week(end) for sure and probably get referenced consistently by the Tories, but I doubt it has the legs to last the entire campaign, nevermind becoming its defining issue.

A relevant bit of historical context: blackface in Canada, and particularly Québec, isn't viewed quite the same way as it is in the U.S. Minstrelsy wasn't nearly as prominent in Canada as it was in the U.S. during its heyday and, obviously, most of the black communities in Canada originated from different historical circumstances (i.e. not transatlantic slavery).

Case in point: about 10 years ago a satirical comedy program in Québec caused a minor controversy when they did a skit where a white actor portrayed a black Montréal Canadians hockey player with his face darkened by makeup. The anglo/ROC press picked up on it and ran stories about Québec's racial insensitivity; the National Post (of course) tried to link it to the reasonable accommodation debate. In Québec, however, many - especially nationalists - insisted that it couldn't be racist because of the historical factors I outlined above. Those voices spun the controversy as 'Canada doesn't understand Québec'.

This isn't to say blackface isn't racist af or that Trudeau shouldn't have known better when he was 29. Just that the controversy probably lacks the salience that a lot of anti-Trudeau voices wish it did.

Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #903 on: September 19, 2019, 04:21:13 AM »

Maybe if somebody other than Doug Ford was the latest Tory wonderkind people would take Conservative outrage here more seriously. Nobody actually believes that Trudeau is a racist. And nobody actually believes that Tories are outraged by this. Outraged by Liberal hypocrisy? Maybe. "Outraged" so to pick themselves off the electoral floor in the minority-filled Toronto area? Yeah. But this is nothing more than a lot of people who oppose Trudeau simply opposing Trudeau, and at most opposing their inability to get away with the things Trudeau gets away with. But in terms of actual electoral impact? None.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #904 on: September 19, 2019, 04:30:49 AM »

I'm really proud of Jagmeet's response.  It definitely has the ability to turn around the campaign. It's unfortunate that this has to be reason for it.

Actually, I found the statement rather overwrought. Canada is, without question, the most tolerant, welcoming, and integrating place on earth. Canadians take a lot of pride in that fact, and a single truly stupid and insensitive photo cannot undo it. To pretend that a photo like this somehow makes Canada less tolerant is just absurd. And to pretend that Trudeau is like people who go around beating minorities up is even more absurd.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #905 on: September 19, 2019, 05:25:59 AM »

Some quick thoughts:

1) The blackface incident isn't fatal but... Trudeau has built a very woke, politically correct brand. It's a huge part of who he is as a politician. This incident will hurt.

2) Liberal attacks on the Tories come in two forms; corporate sellout, and retrograde bigot. SNC Lavalin rendered the former attack ineffective, and blackface Trudeau will likely do the same to the latter.

3) Jagmeet Singh and the floundering NDP just got a YUGE opportunity to recover lost support with so-called 'promiscuous progressives'.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #906 on: September 19, 2019, 05:46:46 AM »

From the apology

"I've always been more enthusiastic about costumes than is sometimes appropriate..."

Oh my
toaster
Canada

« Reply #907 on: September 19, 2019, 06:02:05 AM »

I'm also curious about the placement of his hands.  Was this his girlfriend at the time?  A student?  Curious the media scrum didn't push harder when he simply replied "a friend".  Could mean anything.

Also, for Jagmeet's response, while I appreciate it, I don't think it works well politically.  He's kind of acting like the average joe is a leftist woke twitter/Tumbler SJW, and will feel a sense of guilt/empathy.  The problem is that people don't vote based on guilt.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #908 on: September 19, 2019, 06:35:42 AM »

Also, for Jagmeet's response, while I appreciate it, I don't think it works well politically.  He's kind of acting like the average joe is a leftist woke twitter/Tumbler SJW, and will feel a sense of guilt/empathy.  The problem is that people don't vote based on guilt.

I don't agree with that summary; Jagmeet's response was heartfelt and personal and not about Trudeau. I watching and you could see his eye, he was hurt and emotional and almost cried at one point. This was legitimately an honest response. It was not about guilt, it was about reaching out to those who have been hurt by hate and belittling and being bullied and disrespected. It was about not giving in to the hurt and depression and the pain that someone's bad joke caused.
I'm not a POC, but I am a member of the LGBT who is also a white guy, and I was able to identify personally with his statement.

The NDP have been having a great first week, this is unfortunately a terrible situation that might help the NDP with SJW voters particularly in areas they are targeting like Toronto/Vancouver and DT/urban seats like Winnipeg Centre, Edmonton-Strathcona (to hold it) and Edmonton Centre, Ottawa Centre, Halifax.   
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #909 on: September 19, 2019, 06:36:50 AM »

I don't agree with that summary; Jagmeet's response was heartfelt and personal and not about Trudeau. I watching and you could see his eye, he was hurt and emotional and almost cried at one point. This was legitimately an honest response. It was not about guilt, it was about reaching out to those who have been hurt by hate and belittling and being bullied and disrespected. It was about not giving in to the hurt and depression and the pain that someone's bad joke caused.
I'm not a POC, but I am a member of the LGBT who is also a white guy, and I was able to identify personally with his statement.

The NDP have been having a great first week, this is unfortunately a terrible situation that might help the NDP with SJW voters particularly in areas they are targeting like Toronto/Vancouver and DT/urban seats like Winnipeg Centre, Edmonton-Strathcona (to hold it) and Edmonton Centre, Ottawa Centre, Halifax, Holding their MTL seats.
adma
« Reply #910 on: September 19, 2019, 07:34:26 AM »

Aside from the blackface, things are trending ominously at Nanos: from Sep 15 to 19, the Cons have gove from 32 to 38, the Libs still at 35, the NDP down from 17 to 12, Greens 10 to 8, Bloc stable at 4, PPC up from 2 to 3.

*If* things continue at this rate (which is far from certain), the Lib-reelection narrative (and the NDP-recovery narrative) would seem to look endangered...
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #911 on: September 19, 2019, 07:55:34 AM »

I'm really proud of Jagmeet's response.  It definitely has the ability to turn around the campaign. It's unfortunate that this has to be reason for it.

Actually, I found the statement rather overwrought. Canada is, without question, the most tolerant, welcoming, and integrating place on earth. Canadians take a lot of pride in that fact, and a single truly stupid and insensitive photo cannot undo it. To pretend that a photo like this somehow makes Canada less tolerant is just absurd. And to pretend that Trudeau is like people who go around beating minorities up is even more absurd.

Just because Canada has a tolerant and welcoming image doesn't mean there aren't any bigots or assholes. I've seen it myself. Many times. This isn't just about Trudeau.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #912 on: September 19, 2019, 08:31:29 AM »

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #913 on: September 19, 2019, 08:43:37 AM »

From what I gather in rural Quebec, people see Justin as a victim of mudslinging by opportunistic politicians.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #914 on: September 19, 2019, 08:52:01 AM »

Global News has video of a third blackface incident.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #915 on: September 19, 2019, 09:25:15 AM »

If that's what you got out of his response, there is something wrong with your comprehension skills.

And no, Canada is not "the most tolerant, welcoming and integrating place on earth". What a ridiculous thing to say.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #916 on: September 19, 2019, 09:27:50 AM »

From what I gather in rural Quebec, people see Justin as a victim of mudslinging by opportunistic politicians.

An On Brand response, one must admit.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #917 on: September 19, 2019, 10:03:17 AM »

If that's what you got out of his response, there is something wrong with your comprehension skills.

And no, Canada is not "the most tolerant, welcoming and integrating place on earth". What a ridiculous thing to say.

The statement doesn't imply Canada is perfect on these issues, just that it's better than the rest of the world. Which countries do you consider to be more tolerant, welcoming and integrating than Canada?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #918 on: September 19, 2019, 10:18:15 AM »

DL
Canada

« Reply #919 on: September 19, 2019, 10:51:09 AM »

Meanwhile Scheer still refuses to apologize for his homophobic remarks in 2005 - he scoffs and says "it was a long time ago". Total hypocrit
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #920 on: September 19, 2019, 10:55:54 AM »

From the apology

"I've always been more enthusiastic about costumes than is sometimes appropriate..."

Oh my
Trudeau is a furry?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #921 on: September 19, 2019, 11:48:51 AM »

The NDP have been having a great first week, this is unfortunately a terrible situation that might help the NDP with SJW voters particularly in areas they are targeting like Toronto/Vancouver and DT/urban seats like Winnipeg Centre, Edmonton-Strathcona (to hold it) and Edmonton Centre, Ottawa Centre, Halifax.   

I felt Singh was quite effective, far more than Scheer.

That said, both Scheer and Singh seemed to do a reasonable job in their responses at appealing to voters at their respective ends of the Liberal party. That is, Singh did a good job at appealing to Orange Liberals with his heartfelt appeals, while Scheer's approach focused on Trudeau's poor judgment and incompetence, appealing to Blue Liberals.
Krago
« Reply #922 on: September 19, 2019, 11:57:52 AM »

I've noticed that all the Liberals I follow on Twitter are unusually quiet today.  Waiting for their talking points?

A friend of mine posted an Ed The Sock tweet on his Facebook page this morning.  Indeed.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #923 on: September 19, 2019, 12:10:13 PM »

lol. It's funny to see trudeau "killed" (well maybe not but who khows ?) by the political correctness. Trudeau, the most PC of the world.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #924 on: September 19, 2019, 12:13:14 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies