Canadian Election 2019
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:27:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Election 2019
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 91
Author Topic: Canadian Election 2019  (Read 189158 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2018, 10:53:26 PM »

In under a year's time Canadians will go to the polls.  My thoughts on the parties and regions are as follows, but off course things as usual will likely to change between now an election day.

Liberals

Justin Trudeau has decent approval ratings with all showing him over 40% and most over 50% so while he has lots of haters, especially amongst the Conservative base, overall I think he is heavily favoured to be re-elected next year.  The real question is will it be another majority or be reduced to a minority.  At the moment it looks like a majority, but polls are volatile enough I wouldn't be shocked if it was a minority.

Conservatives

They've done a good job at holding on their base of 30% and some polls show them above the 35% mark, but while they have a good chance of improving on their 99 seats from 2015, I think winning is a very long shot.  Not impossible but not likely.  Also even if they win a plurality, NDP and Liberals will probably gang up to keep them out so I think for Scheer the real question is does he increase the seat count enough to stay on as leader and try for PM the next time or does he fail to make headway and perhaps even lose seats thus being forced to resign as leader.  Half the population has no opinion of him so he will probably get the core 30% that always vote Tory, but whether he can appeal beyond that remains to be seen.

NDP

Generally have gotten a lot of negative press and Singh's approval rating is fairly low.  Also with Trudeau taking a fairly left of centre stance, I think he is somewhat squeezed out.  Still he might perform better than expected on the campaign trail.  I think the biggest determinant in how well he does is how big a threat the Tories are.  If the Liberals have a healthy lead, I think the party will do alright as progressives will feel they can safely vote NDP without risking a Tory government, but if polls are tight, probably not so much as a lot of progressives will then strategically vote Liberal.

Bloc Quebecois

Never want to totally count them out, but they seem to be on life support and I suspect will probably not be much of a factor.

Green Party

They are polling well now, but I find since in most ridings they are a throw away vote usually things fall a bit as more people vote strategically.  That being said I could see them picking up a few more seats on the Southern part of Vancouver Island where they are quite strong.

People's Party

I doubt it will go very far.  It might appeal to some of the more right wing elements who think Scheer is insufficiently conservative, but libertarianism has never really had that broad a support and also with poor vetting will probably attract a lot of nutbars.  Also most Tories despise Trudeau with a passion, so I think vote splits on the right are unlikely.  If Tories lose, as I think they will, it will be because they did attract enough middle of the road voters, not due to splits on the right.

Atlantic Canada

I suspect the Liberals will once again dominate this region, although I think the Tories will win back a few of their traditional strongholds so not a Liberal sweep like last time, but still Liberals winning the vast majority.  Almost certainly over 20 seats and highly likely over 25 seats.  NDP will come more down to local candidates so if they win any seats it will be due to strong local candidates.

Quebec

At the moment Liberals are in good shape to not only hold but gain seats, however support is quite soft so as Quebec is always unpredictable no guarantee the gains will materialize.  Conservatives will probably hold onto to the majority of seats they have now, but unless Scheer really impresses Quebecers I think at best they might pick up a seat or two and could just as easily lose a few seats too.  For the Tories their support is very concentrated in the Quebec city region, so whether they get 15% or 30% doesn't make a lot of difference seat wise.  Only changes if they fall below 15% in which they lose many of their seats or go above 30% in which they start flipping many other seats.  NDP will lose most of their seats and I think the east end of Montreal is really the only area that is naturally a good fit for them.  It's possible a few MPs might hold on due to personal popularity.  Bloc Quebecois as mentioned above while People's Party will go nowhere, in fact I predict Bernier loses his riding.  Just a question of does he split the vote enough to allow the Liberals to win it or do the Tories hold on.

Ontario

With Wynne gone and Ford now premier who is quite polarizing, I would say the Liberals are favoured to win the majority of seats here.  Holding onto all 80 will be a stretch but I think the odds favour them winning over 60 seats.  40 seats is their absolute worse but I only see that happening if the economy tanks or a scandal emerges.  Tories should hold most of their seats and maybe pick up a few close ones, but doubt they will beat the Liberals.  Mind you they got 35% and I could see them dropping as low as 30% thus costing them seats at the same time a slight uptick and better vote splits could net them 50 maybe even 60 seats.  In Ontario you can flip a lot of seats with a relatively small vote swing.  NDP will win some seats, but how well they do as mentioned above will largely depend on the Tory threat, otherwise gain if Tories are not a threat, stay where they are if they are.

Saskatchewan/Manitoba

Tories will probably win the majority of seats here and will almost certainly come in first in Saskatchewan although Manitoba could go either way.  Regina, Saskatoon, and suburban Winnipeg will be the battlegrounds while I expect them to win big in all rural seats save the two Northern ones.  Liberals should do well in Winnipeg, but outside of there, only really three seats I think they have a shot at; Ralph Goodale's they will hold if he runs again while the two Northern are possibilities.  NDP might gain back a few in Winnipeg and has some potential in Regina and Saskatoon, but my guess is they win seats in both provinces but finish behind the Tories in both and behind the Liberals in Manitoba.

Alberta

The Tories will obviously win the vast majority of seats here, but I doubt it will be a clean sweep.  Liberals will be in a tough fight to hold the four seats they have.  For them turnout amongst millennials will be a big factor as most boomers hate the Liberals and Trudeau, but millennials in Alberta are more inclined to support them and Alberta has the youngest population.  A strong millennial turnout and they should hold and possibly pick up a few more urban seats, while poor millennial turnout and lose all four.  With Linda Duncan not running again, I could see the NDP getting anywhere from 0 to 2 seats.  Provincial election could have an impact since if NDP does better than expected you might see many progressives coalesce around them whereas if they lose badly in the spring most will probably coalesce around the Liberals.  Either way don't see them winning any seats outside Edmonton.

British Columbia

Probably a three way race with each having their strength.  Liberals are probably favoured overall, but it will be a mixed bag.  They should do well in the Lower Mainland, but not so much in other parts of the province.  Tories are likely to rebound a bit from their low of 30% but how they do seat wise will depend heavily on vote splits.  Strong vote splits and they could more than double their seat count, but weak vote splits and will likely struggle to hold what they have.  NDP should do okay, but if provincial government's approval rating tanks that could cost them seats, but hasn't happened yet.  My guess is Interior largely Conservative, Lower Mainland largely Liberal with a few NDP and Conservative seats, while Vancouver Island largely NDP.  Greens as mentioned should be competitive south of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, but whether they can gain any new seats or not remains to be seen.

Territories

Liberals likely take all three, but either the Tories or NDP could pick up seats here if they have a strong candidate as in the North local candidate as opposed to party tends to matter more.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 10:54:39 PM »

Hopefully the Tories win and win in a landslide,

Trudeau has been one of the worst pm's ever
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 10:58:42 PM »

If the Tories win it won't be a landslide.  One term PMs are quite rare so I think the Tories beating the Liberals in seat count is a steep, but not impossible hill to climb.  Actually winning a majority will require a lot of things falling into place as at the moment they are a long ways away from it.  Now true, if every voter who in the last provincial elections voted for centre-right parties (BC Liberals in 2017, WRP + PC in AB in 2015, Saskatchewan Party in 2016, Manitoba PCs in 2016, Ontario PCs in 2018, CAQ in 2018, NB PCs + People's Alliance in 2018, PEI PC's in 2015, NS PC's in 2017, and NL PC's in 2015) also voted Tory federally, that would be sufficient, but I am skeptical of them doing as well as their provincial counterparts in pretty much every province save Alberta as in all other provinces each one had certain things going for them the federal party lacks.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 11:02:34 PM »

If the Tories win it won't be a landslide.  One term PMs are quite rare so I think the Tories beating the Liberals in seat count is a steep, but not impossible hill to climb.  Actually winning a majority will require a lot of things falling into place as at the moment they are a long ways away from it.  Now true, if every voter who in the last provincial elections voted for centre-right parties (BC Liberals in 2017, WRP + PC in AB in 2015, Saskatchewan Party in 2016, Manitoba PCs in 2016, Ontario PCs in 2018, CAQ in 2018, NB PCs + People's Alliance in 2018, PEI PC's in 2015, NS PC's in 2017, and NL PC's in 2015) also voted Tory federally, that would be sufficient, but I am skeptical of them doing as well as their provincial counterparts in pretty much every province save Alberta as in all other provinces each one had certain things going for them the federal party lacks.

Yah I know they wont win in a landslide, all Im saying is they deserve to.

I dont think winning a majority is implausible but it depends on what type of campaign they run. If they run a milquetoast campaign and run away from Harper they will lose. They need to run an aggressive campaign
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 11:07:46 PM »

If the Tories win it won't be a landslide.  One term PMs are quite rare so I think the Tories beating the Liberals in seat count is a steep, but not impossible hill to climb.  Actually winning a majority will require a lot of things falling into place as at the moment they are a long ways away from it.  Now true, if every voter who in the last provincial elections voted for centre-right parties (BC Liberals in 2017, WRP + PC in AB in 2015, Saskatchewan Party in 2016, Manitoba PCs in 2016, Ontario PCs in 2018, CAQ in 2018, NB PCs + People's Alliance in 2018, PEI PC's in 2015, NS PC's in 2017, and NL PC's in 2015) also voted Tory federally, that would be sufficient, but I am skeptical of them doing as well as their provincial counterparts in pretty much every province save Alberta as in all other provinces each one had certain things going for them the federal party lacks.

Yah I know they wont win in a landslide, all Im saying is they deserve to.

I dont think winning a majority is implausible but it depends on what type of campaign they run. If they run a milquetoast campaign and run away from Harper they will lose. They need to run an aggressive campaign

I think their challenges are regional.  Harper is still hated in Atlantic Canada so they can win there but they have to return to their Red Tory roots and that will anger a lot of their base.  Quebec is always a wild card and usually it either embraces them (like 1958, 1984, or 1988) or soundly rejects like in most elections, no in between and usually we don't get any clues until about two weeks before the election.  I think had Horwath won last June or Wynne somehow got back in, the Tories would be in great shape to make gains in Ontario, but since Ford is premier who is very polarizing and divisive, that will probably hurt them there.  Ontario has a long history of voting opposites federally and provincially so with the PCs now in control at Queen's Park, that hurts the chances for the Tories federally.  They already hold the majority of ridings in the Prairies and not enough ones they don't hold to make a big difference.  BC seems to have swung leftward of recent so that could change if the provincial NDP tanks, but at the moment things don't look good for them, at least not in the coastal areas (I live here so I would know) which is the majority of the province.

To be fair, its not all bad for the right in Canada.  Unlike in 2015, we now have four provinces with 2/3 of the population with centre-right governments and that will likely grow to six as in New Brunswick Liberals likely to be defeated on the throne speech this Friday thus making room for the PCs and Alberta will likely swing rightward next May provincially.  So in all probability you will have over 80% of Canadians living in provinces with centre-right provincial governments so having a centre-left federally sort of balances things out.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 10:05:35 PM »

Muh Omar Khadr?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 11:43:10 PM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

That was a disgrace in every way.

Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 11:45:42 PM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

Why exactly should the Charter of Rights and Freedoms not have applied in this case?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 11:48:48 PM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

Why exactly should the Charter of Rights and Freedoms not have applied in this case?

He committed Treason(Since Article V was invoked)  so he should have been thrown in prison for life without the possibility of parole for that crime.

He is also a Terrorist and killed an America Solider so he should have been tried for that murder not released and given 10 million dollars
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 12:04:31 AM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

He committed Treason(Since Article V was invoked)  so he should have been thrown in prison for life without the possibility of parole for that crime.

He is also a Terrorist and killed an America Solider so he should have been tried for that murder not released and given 10 million dollars
Why should the Charter of Rights and Freedoms not have applied in this case?

The fact of it is, just like in America, the Charter applies to everyone, no matter their moral standing.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 12:08:47 AM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

The fact of it is, just like in America, the Charter applies to everyone, no matter their moral standing.

He never was acquitted of Treason , so he should have been charged with that
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 12:12:50 AM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

So are you suggesting that Justin Trudeau should have in some manner forced the courts towards a certain ruling?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 12:13:32 AM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

So are you suggesting that Justin Trudeau should have in some manner forced the judge towards a certain ruling?

he should have deported him to the US
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 12:17:31 AM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

So are you suggesting that Justin Trudeau should have in some manner forced the judge towards a certain ruling?
It is illegal in Canada to send people to face trails in countries where they could face the death penalty.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 12:26:47 AM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

It is illegal in Canada to send people to face trails in countries where they could face the death penalty.

Fine next time the US shouldnt send Canadian terrorists who killed US soliders back to Canada for trial.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 12:30:47 AM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

Fine next time the US shouldnt send Canadian terrorists who killed US soliders back to Canada for trial.
Even putting aside this technicality, I don't see why you think Canada's human rights code should have been ignored.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 12:31:23 AM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

Even putting aside this technicality, I don't see why you think Canada's human rights code should have been ignored.

He should have been charged with Treason
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 09:36:11 AM »

Muh Omar Khadr?

He should have been charged with Treason

Wrong Premier to blame to blame, in any case. When Trudeau arrived in power, he was already free on parole and suing the government for 20 millions for breach of Charter rights and illegal deportation (case which would have been lost according to case law).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 10:44:12 AM »

Hmm, I thought we shouldn't be judged for what we did as kids? Just ask your newest Supreme Court Justice. Oh wait, we're talking about a Muslim here, I forgot. Roll Eyes

This thread is an absolute dumpster fire. Hopefully it gets deleted and we can start anew a bit closer to the election.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »

Have to quibble with Miles characterization of Atlantic Canada.
Red Toryism in Atlantic Canada is not same as Red Toryism on the pages of the Globe & Mail. We love our EI benefits, which is why Harperism flopped, but a more free spending, semi-populist (i.e. not as far as Fordism) conservatism could make some solid inroads here.

There has been a ~12% swing which is likely concentrated among rural Anglos. Just eyeballing it I would project the Tories picking up half a dozen rural Anglo seats quite easily and quite possibly more if the Liberals falter a little bit.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 12:46:47 PM »

Hmm, I thought we shouldn't be judged for what we did as kids? Just ask your newest Supreme Court Justice. Oh wait, we're talking about a Muslim here, I forgot. Roll Eyes

This thread is an absolute dumpster fire. Hopefully it gets deleted and we can start anew a bit closer to the election.

He murdered an American soldier and is a terrorist

The fact that you libs have been defending the fact that he was released is another reason why you guys deserve to be landslided in 2019
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 02:10:22 PM »

The fact that you libs have been defending the fact that he was released is another reason why you guys deserve to be landslided in 2019

Stephen Harper was the Prime Minister when he was released, in any case.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 02:13:53 PM »

He didnt give him 10 million dollars

The fact that Trudeau did that is unforgivable

He should have deported him to America and yes while America has the death penalty , America is Canada's top allies and since he killed one of America's soldiers he should have been deported to America to face trial.

I hope the rest of Khadar life is miserable
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 03:05:19 PM »

He should have deported him to America and yes while America has the death penalty , America is Canada's top allies and since he killed one of America's soldiers he should have been deported to America to face trial.

1. The options on the table were pretty much setting now and give him money or spend millions in lawyer fees and give him 20 millions (+ his lawyers' fees) in a few years when he wins his lawsuit. I would rather blame Guantanamo Bay's methods, which are what gave source to the payment. I'm rather annoyed to have to give money to him because of abuse by the US Government.

2. There is extensive case law banning Canada from deporting people if they would possibly face death penalty. Options there would be either USA abolishing death penalty or Canada amending its Bill of Rights, neither of which will happen.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 03:07:45 PM »

1. The options on the table were pretty much setting now and give him money or spend millions in lawyer fees and give him 20 millions (+ his lawyers' fees) in a few years when he wins his lawsuit. I would rather blame Guantanamo Bay's methods, which are what gave source to the payment. I'm rather annoyed to have to give money to him because of abuse by the US Government.

2. There is extensive case law banning Canada from deporting people if they would possibly face death penalty. Options there would be either USA abolishing death penalty or Canada amending its Bill of Rights, neither of which will happen.

the fact is Trudeau could have still hit him with additional charges of treason . Remember Trudeau called Harper out for many years for keeping Khadar in prison
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies