Canadian Election 2019
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:21:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Election 2019
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 91
Author Topic: Canadian Election 2019  (Read 191988 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: October 21, 2019, 09:35:04 AM »

Election models are pretty good at the national leevel, but maaaann are they bad at the riding level. Seeing a lot of predictions that the NDP will pick up Acadie-Bathurst despite not running Yvon Godin. The models really need some sort of adjustment for candidates.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1426 on: October 21, 2019, 10:06:56 AM »

Election models are pretty good at the national leevel, but maaaann are they bad at the riding level. Seeing a lot of predictions that the NDP will pick up Acadie-Bathurst despite not running Yvon Godin. The models really need some sort of adjustment for candidates.

They are running Daniel Thériault, long time president of the Acadien Festival, which is considered a star candidate.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1427 on: October 21, 2019, 10:24:27 AM »

They are running Daniel Thériault, long time president of the Acadien Festival, which is considered a star candidate.

Hmm, may have to eat crow tonight then.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1428 on: October 21, 2019, 11:15:08 AM »

I'm saying Liberal minority, I think polls are somewhat overestimating liberals.

But I don't like any of the party leaders soooooo
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1429 on: October 21, 2019, 11:23:55 AM »

Will there be turnout updates throughout the day at the national or provincial level?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1430 on: October 21, 2019, 11:24:06 AM »

I'm saying Liberal minority, I think polls are somewhat overestimating liberals.

But I don't like any of the party leaders soooooo

I think a lot of people want both Trudeau and Scheer to get punished today, but the window of outcomes where that occurs is rather narrow, unless the NDP/BQ/others surge.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1431 on: October 21, 2019, 11:32:56 AM »

Rooting for Jagmeet and the NDP but I also take Justin over Scheer everyday so this is gonna be interesting
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1432 on: October 21, 2019, 11:35:58 AM »

Wait....if I am reading this right, center right and right-wing parties in canada will barely combine for 1/3 of the vote? That is embarrassing.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1433 on: October 21, 2019, 11:41:32 AM »

Wait....if I am reading this right, center right and right-wing parties in canada will barely combine for 1/3 of the vote? That is embarrassing.
It's Canada not Louisana
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1434 on: October 21, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »

It's Canada not Louisana

I get that, but the U.K., Germany, etc are also not Louisiana and center right parties combine for way more there than Canada.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1435 on: October 21, 2019, 11:56:11 AM »

It's Canada not Louisana

I get that, but the U.K., Germany, etc are also not Louisiana and center right parties combine for way more there than Canada.

Best way to understand Canada is that ~1/3 of the seats are located in a region comparable to NY/IL, and a majority of the national seats are  in sub/urban areas. That's not a recipe for a strong conservative party, which is why they often have to win 'red-tories' to remain relevant.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1436 on: October 21, 2019, 11:56:24 AM »

It's Canada not Louisana

Many center-right voters vote for the liberals.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1437 on: October 21, 2019, 12:18:03 PM »

It's Canada not Louisana

Indeed, despite their reputation, the Liberals are Canada's centrist party.

Hmm, may have to eat crow tonight then.

Don't worry, the NDP has no chance in Acadie-Bathurst. "Star candidate" or not.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1438 on: October 21, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »

It's Canada not Louisana

I see. Thanks for clarifying. Are the liberals a “big tent” party?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1439 on: October 21, 2019, 12:53:15 PM »

Forum's last poll's regional breakdown. Seat/Vote -wise it is:

Lib: 140/31.7
Con: 111/29.9
NDP: 38/17.5
Bloc: 48/8.3
Green: 1/9.0
PPC: 0/3.0

RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1440 on: October 21, 2019, 12:56:54 PM »

From what I gather, is the likely outcome?
1. Liberals lose a lot of seats but still have a plurality
2. Conservatives make big gains
3. NDP loses a few seats Sad
4. BQ surges massively
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1441 on: October 21, 2019, 01:07:35 PM »

From what I gather, is the likely outcome?
1. Liberals lose a lot of seats but still have a plurality
2. Conservatives make big gains
3. NDP loses a few seats Sad
4. BQ surges massively

Change 3 to: NDP makes gains outside of Quebec, but is offset by their losses in Quebec.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1442 on: October 21, 2019, 01:20:14 PM »

It's Canada not Louisana

I see. Thanks for clarifying. Are the liberals a “big tent” party?

In a manner of speaking. They are highly adept at a kind of flexible centrism/moderation. In the 60s they leaned noticeably to the left, in the 90s and 00s they leaned noticeably to the right. They are rarely so 'big tent' that they include, for comparison's sake, Ted Cruz, Hilary Clinton, and Bernie Sanders all at the same time. But there have been periods when they've all but jettisoned one 'wing' they could appeal to because it is not electorally viable.

The best comparison for the Canadian federal Liberals is the UK Conservative party. They are the party of old money and the well connected, reluctantly embracing change and more concerned with power than policy at the end of the day. Unlike the UK Tories, however, the Liberals have never found common cause with any truly radical right wing politics (nor left wing, really, notwithstanding the Liberals' right-leaning opponents tiresome insistence to the contrary).

For the record, the Liberals are, historically speaking, in a more left-leaning mode, though very slightly. That might change after tonight.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1443 on: October 21, 2019, 01:28:42 PM »

Is it raining anywhere (perferablely with a No- prefix attached to it) that will result in mass panic and cancelation of left leaning parties?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1444 on: October 21, 2019, 01:28:57 PM »

It's Canada not Louisana

In purely functional terms (and Bagehot was right: really, what else matters in politics?) the Liberal Party of Canada has spent most of the the time since the 1980s operating to the right of all significant German parties other than the AfD and not always that much more to the left of the British Conservatives.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1445 on: October 21, 2019, 01:30:13 PM »

The best comparison for the Canadian federal Liberals is the UK Conservative party. They are the party of old money and the well connected, reluctantly embracing change and more concerned with power than policy at the end of the day. Unlike the UK Tories, however, the Liberals have never found common cause with any truly radical right wing politics (nor left wing, really, notwithstanding the Liberals' right-leaning opponents tiresome insistence to the contrary).

Neither party would welcome the comparison, but it is accurate.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1446 on: October 21, 2019, 01:34:28 PM »

Discounting the possibility that there are some Liberal waverers that are considering the Tories strikes me as a mistake. At this stage, it seems that there aren't many Liberal supporters who dislike Trudeau and the Liberals have ran a rather centrist campaign but even a late shift of ~5% of Liberals to the Tories could be disastrous in marginal ridings.

Different context but, in 2011 and 2018, I was shocked by the degree to which "blue Liberals" were willing to back the Conservatives against the NDP in the GTA. These same voters have, at times, bailed on the Liberals at the last minute. Doesn't seem plausible at all this time but should be considered imo.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1447 on: October 21, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »

It's Canada not Louisana

In purely functional terms (and Bagehot was right: really, what else matters in politics?) the Liberal Party of Canada has spent most of the the time since the 1980s operating to the right of all significant German parties other than the AfD and not always that much more to the left of the British Conservatives.

That was probably true up until 5 years ago or so. Trudeau's no lefty, but he's decidedly less right-leaning than Paul Martin, and WAY less right wing than Theresa May (or Merkel, for that matter); he'd probably find more overlap with Johnson if it weren't for the fundamentalism of Brexit screwing everything up.
Philly D.
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #1448 on: October 21, 2019, 01:39:07 PM »

Is it raining anywhere (perferablely with a No- prefix attached to it) that will result in mass panic and cancelation of left leaning parties?

Only in Vancouver.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1449 on: October 21, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2019, 01:50:37 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

The Liberal Party of Canada occupies a very unique space. It is similar to the Liberal Democrats in Japan or the PRI in Mexico in terms of its image as a party of power and as a party without a well-defined ideology. In practice, even if it is a shape-shifting entity, it usually governs more like a center-right party than anything else and, when it does not, it's usually due to the influence or threat of the NDP. During electoral campaigns, it always positions itself as a center-left party but, predictably, it always governs more like a center-right party.

I'd argue that the Canadian electorate basically allows it to occupy this space because Canada is such a disparate country. The Western wackos who have tended to dominate the Conservative Party since the functional demise of the Progressive Conservatives lack credibility with Canadians outside of the Prairies, oilfields - it's too adversarial and too clearly about Western interests vs. everyone else when there isn't a concerted effort to broaden the base.

Maybe I'm off-base here but I tend to be fascinated by the inability of the NDP to gain traction as a major second party at the national level when it has done so with ease in many provinces. Contrasting the achievements of NDP governments with Liberal governments always serves as a reminder of the gigantic gulf that exists between the two parties and I tend to be baffled by the existence of left-leaners who almost always vote for Liberals. I guess the specter of the wackos and nutjobs coming to power is enough of an inducement? Wynne and McGuinty were a disgrace but when compared with Ford or Harris, I can grasp why the Liberals are able to justify themselves.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies