Dynasties and Empires - Gameplay Thread (End of 1521) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:21:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Dynasties and Empires - Gameplay Thread (End of 1521) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dynasties and Empires - Gameplay Thread (End of 1521)  (Read 10589 times)
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« on: November 01, 2018, 11:16:14 AM »

The Duke of Albany, Governor of Scotland, and the Lords of the Scots Privy Council, commend the King of England's acknowledgement of his sister, nephew and niece's rights in the succession to the southern realm, but strongly condemn his unjust and impious promotion of a mere bastard over all these.

Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »

Henry VIII Tudor, King of England, France, and Lord of Ireland

I, Henry VIII Tudor, King of England and Lord of Ireland, do hereby proclaim, confirm, and affix my name and seal to the Treaty of Berwick-Upon-Tweed.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

xKing Henry VIII Tudor

X Albany, Governor of Scotland
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 07:33:24 AM »

The King of Scots gladly seizes the honour of being the first to congratulate his uncle King Henry upon his election as Emperor. He instructs his trusty and well-beloved cousin and regent, John Duke of Albany, Governor of Scotland, instantly to appoint and dispatch the following ambassadors to attend upon the royal and imperial courts -

To London, King James's much-loved natural brother, James Stewart, Earl of Moray;

And into the foreign parts of further Almayne, in the first instance the port of Lubeck, Gavin Douglas, Bishop of Dunkeld.

Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:05:03 AM »

A poem widely circulated at Edinburgh, said to be made by no other the famous makar William Dunbar - Upon the Lord Governour's Doleful Wooing; or, the Rose of England and the Lyon of Albanie

Twa naciouns the patronnes of songes yett
Both own their ain – for aye Queen Margaret
Of royall Inglis jardain rosyest fayre
Her line proclaims, her hart to Scottis care
Long safe intrusted. Whilst the Lyon Albaine
In Frances richness did his tenderest taime
Perforce ingage, to mery Scotland neares
The realmes joye, receipt with loving teares
He roares his highest for his kingdome’s guid
But what afflicts this noble beast’s ain mood?
For why it is a thorn stuck in his paw,
A slender and a silver, muckle sore,
The wounds of Cupiddes dart him now afflict,
So sicker that he lyeth down dirict.
Tak pitee, noble queen, for regall beast
Who bears sic passioun in his kindly breast.

Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »

Let Mons Meg be fired from the turrets of Edinburgh Castle in rejoicing!

x James Rex Scotiae

x Albany
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 09:59:07 AM »

James V, King of Scots, bestows the Earldom of Douglas upon Archibald Douglas, Earl of Angus, head of the 'Red' Douglases and lineal heir to the 'Black' Douglases of Douglas lang syne. Lord Angus & Douglas is confirmed as Captain-General of the Scots forces by land.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 10:37:26 AM »

John Stewart, Duke of Albany and Governor of Scotland, weds this day at Berwick Margaret Stewart, princess of England and Queen Dowager of Scotland!

King James V is pleased to grant his royal mother the title and jointure of Countess of Berwick in her own right, in addition to her other dignities.

The King of Scots bestows upon his cousin, guardian and beloved new stepfather the additional places of Prince and Great Steward of Scotland, as well as the Lordship of the Isles and the Earldom of Fife, to be retained at least until King James fathers a son of his own or comes into his majority.

The King of Scots intends the permanent residence for the present of his dearly beloved sister Lady Margaret Douglas at Berwick and at Court amid their mother's household.

Should further siblings and cousins both be born to the merry and regal couple, their rights as regards Scotland and England shall be scrupulously and proportionately recalled, with corresponding respect for the King's Grace as well as Lady Margaret's English claim.

God Save King, Queen, Governor and Realm!
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 11:57:48 AM »

Prince John, Duke of Albany expresses his surprise at his new brother's claim to be in ignorance of a match of which he was consistently apprised, nor does he consider it customary for a dowager queen to seek another monarch's permission to wed.

Further, Prince John announces his intention once suitable preparations are complete to take the cross against the infernal Turk, for the salvation of Holy Church.

x Prince John, Duke of Albany, Great Steward and Governor of Scotland, Earl of Fife and Lord of the Isles, etc
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 12:21:06 PM »

The King of Scots, Queen Dowager and Duke of Albany are detained in the grave matter of planning a holy crusade. Should the King of England wish to join their company, he will have to go to the inconvenience of paying them a visit. I believe he knows the way; it goes by Stirling and the Bannock Burn.

James V, King of Scots

Prince John, Duke of Albany

Archibald Douglas, Earl of Angus and Douglas
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 01:04:58 PM »

Holy Father! Kings and Princes of Christendom!

A Crusading Kingdom stands ravished and violated; a sacred treaty ruptured; a royal marriage sanctified by the Pope's own blessing foully rent by murder and rapine.

But Scotland does not quail, nor do her fair hands tremble as they uphold the Holy Rood of Christ.

This English King named himself an Emperor before pride consumed him utterly. My royal cousin of Portugal, and fellow Crusading prince, points out astutely his pact with the Infidel, one I myself was, to my and Scotland's great sorrow, persuaded to overlook.

What subject now will do such a tyrant's bidding? Which of his so-called Imperial subjects, bought with English gold from a great purse now altogether spent, will stand with this monster, this spoliator of marriage altars, who has abducted his own sister, Scotland's Dowager Queen, for Hell itself knows what vile and lustful purpose?

It is not for me, the Governor of Scotland only, to choose for the English their rightful king. I will say indeed that I know Richard de la Pole in person for a true knight, a valiant friend and a good man, and that I admire the Duke of Buckingham's splendid repute as a right scion of Plantagenet and fair noble lord. Equally, I know neither man would ride roughshod over the rights of Princess Mary, guiltless daughter of the tyrant, or of my own beloved, cruelly seized betrothed and sworn wife before God, Queen Margaret. Let us all do God's work together first, and depose the son of Belial who prances sportive beneath his bloated crown.

Scotland does, however, openly back and avouch the exceptional claim of the noble Sir Richard de la Pole, called the White Rose, already rightwise Earl of Suffolk and Duke of York when he enters his own, to the High Kingship of Ireland, last possessed by Edward Bruce, my own ancestor of immortal memory.

Furthermore, as our true Scots stand powerless to assist the heathen in such circumstances, and as we are assailed by depraved and drooling demoniac devourers of their own sisters, I do call upon the Scots Church to treat these sad present wars as in themselves a holy Crusade, until the false King Henry is done, denounced and deposed.

Scotland is far from friendless, I do believe. Cousins of Denmark and of Portugal. My own beloved kinsman and sire of France, at whose hand I have myself been dubbed knight, cherisher of our long immortal Auld Alliance. Holy Father, whom I have the honour to claim as kin through my sweet niece Catherine de' Medici. Scotland calls for your aid now. Let this King-Emperor of Lustland and the Dominions of Pride and Gluttony be cursed with book and bell, his person excommunicate, his lands lain under interdict. Let his false election be overturned and the poor folk who labour under his gilded yoke seek some kinder Emperor. Let his kingdoms be assailed by land and sea, his colonies despoiled, his honour shent. And, by the love of all that has been held honourable, holy and chivalric since good King Arthur's day in these very isles of ours, aid me to recover mine own love and wife, Margaret.

Once the dragon lies slain, then, I pledge, our alliance shall turn on the Turk that nurtured him.

For Scotland and Jesu!

Prince John, Duke of Albany
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 03:43:12 AM »

Arise, sons of Erin!
Red-handed princes of Ulster!
Arise, and bid the ravens banquet
At the bidding of High King Richard.
There shall be weeping long for them,
The fat lords of the island of Britain,
When Richard restores to us our own.
Arise, princes, singers and sons
Of the harp and the sword...

- Extract from the battle song of a bard in the employ of the Geraldines, 1520
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 11:46:23 AM »

Device for the succession and protection of the Kingdom of Scotland

Lords spiritual and temporal, commons of our realm,

Although battle has brought our nation victory and salvation once again, the treachery of the English has left me sore wounded and forced to make hard provisions for the future.

Should I perish and Queen Margaret remain in English captivity, Lord Angus & Douglas will remain in command of Scotland's army, and Lord Arran will by law be heir presumptive after our beloved King.

However, I will and bequeath the regency of Scotland to His Most Christian Majesty of France, provided only that King James's marriage to Mlle Charlotte is carried out by proxy forthwith, trusting our oldest ally to protect our bounds. Until that marriage takes place, I nominate Archbishop Beaton of St Andrew's as the realm's unifying Regent.

A newer but no less close friend, my cousin and your king's, Christian II of Denmark, is hereby hailed as protector of Scots waters until our navy is rebuilt, with temporary right to protect and command all of our kingdom's outlying isles of Shetland, Orkney and the West. I also transmit to him entirely Scotland's claim to the Isle of Man, of old part of Christian's Kingdom of Norway.

Should our King and myself perish without issue, the next heirs are, in order, Lords Arran, Lennox, and Argyll. Equally of course no lord guilty of treason with the English can expect to wear the Scots crown.

These provisions are made immediately for Scotland's safety in her hour of dire need. Now let us all take the fight to our inveterate, incestuous foe.

For God and St Andrew

Prince John, Duke of Albany, Governor of Scotland
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 06:33:39 AM »

Men of Scotland and of Christendom,

Fittingly does the English King address his folk from his town of Maidenhead, for by his deeds is his realm and empire being rent and ravished.

Erstwhile this Henry accused me of 'hiding in a palace'. I have sacrificed a quiet and comfortable existence in the Auvergne for my country, taken wounds for Scotland through the Englishman's treachery, and led my folk to victory in their despite, while bluff Hal, so broad and vigorous, leans on his servants of Suffolk and Essex.

I would like nothing more than to settle this affair sword to sword, as a nobleman does in a matter that concerns his wife's honour, but till I can rise from my bed I cannot. I challenge this boastful King to fight a trial by battle with my champion, the Earl of Angus and Douglas, instead if he dares.

Truly this King and Emperor is a great captain, general and paladin, he who lolls among lutes scribbling theological treatises, in between poisoning whatever Popes threaten to cross his whims, or pawing at his own wronged sisters. He who has lost his fleet and fled his capital, oppresses his own ancestral lands of Wales by force, who durst not set foot in the Empire he purchased, who dares contrariwise to name himself a regent of Scots when every true Scottish heart cries havoc and cometh upon him as doth a righteous storm of vengeance upon the wheaten tare.

We of the Holy Alliance have no quarrel with Englishman and Christians, and urge them to lay down arms in support of a hypocrite and a sybarite, or to raise them in his overthrow and the ultimate cause of Holy Church and Crusade. We remember well the rights of the Princess Mary, and admire our noble enemy Queen Catherine as a brave generalissima indeed, unfortunate only in that she is obliged to protect so base a lord beneath her skirts. But we shall not rest until the monster, the demon, the faithless, the coward, is plucked forth and hurled face down from his luxurious seat.

x Prince John, Duke of Albany, Governor of Scotland
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 06:56:18 AM »

Proclamation from the King of France on trade
The King of France is pleased to announce these following agreements have been successfully negotiated:
xFrancis

xFrancis

xFrancis

x Albany
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 07:00:55 AM »

Scotland is a small nation with no Cardinals of its own, but a favoured and loyal daughter of the Papacy. Pope Leo was a well-beloved relation and friend to the Duke of Albany, despite his enforced adherence to English pressure on some small matters in the last year of his life. In the end, on the vital questions of church reform, he made his stand and the accursed Emperor reft away his blessed life by means of poison.

The King and Regent of Scotland both have the utmost trust in Cardinal Giulio de' Medici to steer Holy Church forth.

James V, King of Scots

Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 05:42:24 AM »

There is this day announced at Edinburgh the Treaty of the Holy Alliance, whereby Scotland, Yorkist Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, France and all its territories, Upper Navarre and Portugal, the Algarve and King Manoel's overseas conquests shall all trade together with each other without let or hindrance.

x James V, King of Scots

x Prince John, Duke of Albany, Governor and Great Steward of Scotland
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 06:00:34 AM »

Further codicil of the Treaty of the Holy Alliance

By agreement among the princes of the Holy Alliance, any city, town or settlement whatsoever, within the Kingdom of England or that part of Ireland that still serves the false king Henry, that renounces its allegiance to him and surrenders itself freely to the forces of the Alliance, whether Scots, Danish, French, Portingale, Irish or English, shall be considered covered by the terms of the Treaty and permitted to engage in unhindered trade throughout the Holy Alliance's dominions.

Such cities, towns and villages will also be reprieved from the burden of the false king's new taxes with immediate effect.

We of the Alliance have no desire to harm or plunder the English people, only to revenge the wrongs inflicted by their unlawful and tyrannical monarch. The question of the English Crown is to be resolved peacefully by adjudication after the conclusion of the war.

x James V, King of Scots

x Albany
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 05:58:33 AM »

The King of Scots congratulates the Holy Father on his election, welcoming the accession of a Pontiff pledged to the Crusade for Holy Church against the Turk. The Governor of Scotland expresses the pious hope that he and the Holy Father may work together to strengthen and broaden the allied cause of the Crusade, to which he himself is personally pledged.

James V, King of Scots

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies