Dynasties and Empires - Gameplay Thread (End of 1521)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:12:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Dynasties and Empires - Gameplay Thread (End of 1521)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Dynasties and Empires - Gameplay Thread (End of 1521)  (Read 10688 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2018, 12:57:23 PM »

The Treaty of Kiev
You must be logged in to read this quote.

x Sigismund I, King of Poland, Grand Duke of Lithuania
King Saul
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 01:08:27 PM »

The Treaty of Kiev

Great Duke Vasily III Rurik agrees to the Terms of this Treaty.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »

Henry VIII Tudor, King of England, France, and Lord of Ireland

I, Henry VIII Tudor, King of England and Lord of Ireland, do hereby proclaim, confirm, and affix my name and seal to the Treaty of Berwick-Upon-Tweed.

xKing Henry VIII Tudor
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »

I, Henry VIII Tudor, King of England and Lord of Ireland, do hereby proclaim, confirm, and affix my name and seal to the Treaty of Berwick-Upon-Tweed.

xKing Henry VIII Tudor

X Albany, Governor of Scotland
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 04:53:45 PM »

Sigismund I, King of Poland, Grand Duke of Lithuania, Duke of Ruthenia, Duke of Silesia

We, the descendant of six elected Emperors, question this wide range of foreign endorsements to the Empire. Will an English Emperor, now then, be beholden to the Ottomans, the French, and the Scots? Henry VIII is but a sixth cousin several times removed to me, and he is none closer to any of you. Meanwhile, his two sisters have been Queen of Scotland and France. I most firmly denounce the foreign intervention, clearly solicited by England, in this election. There is no point to it unless the English King intends to threaten the Empire with invasion should he lose.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 05:44:04 PM »

I, Henry VIII Tudor, King of England and Lord of Ireland, do hereby proclaim that the rumors of an Anglo-French-Ottoman alliance are just that: rumors. There is no love between myself and the Moores and any talk of an Anglo-French-Ottoman alliance is a farce.

I have renounced the alleged support of the Moores, publically and in private, as an effort to create strife and discord among the Christian Kings of Europe. Now I must further renounce these poisonous rumors as an effort to create strife and discord among the Christian Kings of Europe by one of the other candidates for Holy Roman Emperor. It is appalling that any man would peddle such vile and clearly false rumors among the Christian Brotherhood in an effort to win an election.

Protecting Central and Eastern Europe from the clutches of the Moores is a main concern of mine and will be my chief goal if elected Holy Roman Emperor, as they have shown, by their interference in this election, they do not seek a peaceable relationship with Europe.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2018, 11:02:39 PM »

Henry VIII elected Holy Roman Emperor!
Days long deadlock finally broken with a narrow victory for the Tudor candidate

When the Electors of the Empire - or their representatives - gathered in Frankfurt after a struggle of several months and a grueling election campaign, they were not exactly clear on just what would happen. What was originally seen as a titanic, competitive contest between Charles von Hapsburg and Francois of Valois descended into chaos once the field expanded into four candidates, none of them the original favorites. While both Francis and Charles found separate candidates to support (with France forming part of the pro-Tudor alliance and Charles promoting his brother Ferdinand) any resemblance of clarity regarding the outcome was lost as the Electors were up of grabs, an unique opportunity which also led to the unlikely bids of Christian II of Denmark and Sigismund I of Poland, neither of which had been expected to stand.

Particularly complex was the fact that the Electors virtually refused to state their public support before the election, some of out decorum and a majority due to their vote being undecided almost all the way to the end. And while rumours remain unconfirmed, it is believed the Election may have been even more expensive than was experts predicted, most Electors under heavy pressure by virtue of marriage pledges, increasing and almost obscene financial bids, and various attempts at propaganda which met a mixed response - and may have backfired in a couple of cases -. Still, by the time the Electors or their representatives met to vote, it was generally believed King Henry (displaying the largest financial support) and Prince Ferdinand (bolstered by propaganda and offers) entered as the strongest challengers, the Danish King following closely behind on account of strong financial efforts. The Jagiellon candidate was generally believed to have been somewhat less successful than Christian II, most of his bids surpassed by other candidates and his propaganda efforts proving insufficient.

While, of course, most details were to remain in secret - including several and somewhat vicious efforts behind the scenes -, a curious fact that reached the public was that it took several days and what was believed to be several rounds of balloting to elect a new Emperor. Despite a strong base of pro-Hapsburg support rumour has it a slim anti-Hapsburg majority did emerge, if not focused on a single candidate. Following prolonged deadlock and what has been rumored to be no less than two unsuccessful different attempts to elect one of the Electors, it appears the anti-Hapsburg Electors finally chose to coalesce behind a single candidate before greater uncertainty took place. By the evening of the fifth day, it was announced that Henry Tudor had achieved the required majority.

By sheer coincidence, King Henry VIII of England had now become Emperor Henry VIII.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 12:41:14 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2018, 01:09:44 AM by DKrol »

Henry VIII Tudor, Elected Holy Roman Emperor, Forever August, King of the Germans, King of Italy, King of the Romans, and Coronated King of England and Lord of Ireland

I, Henry VIII Tudor, Elected Holy Roman Emperor, Forever August, King of the Germans, King of Italy, King of the Romans, and Coronated King of England and Lord of Ireland, do hereby proclaim my thanks to the Electors of the Holy Roman Empire for their support and blessing on me through my election as Holy Roman Emperor. It is my wish to unite the Christian Kings of Europe into a new era of Catholic brotherhood and create a Europe where each man may stand tall and resolute in the face of any trials and tribulations, knowing that Emperor Henry VIII Tudor stands with him.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 07:33:24 AM »

The King of Scots gladly seizes the honour of being the first to congratulate his uncle King Henry upon his election as Emperor. He instructs his trusty and well-beloved cousin and regent, John Duke of Albany, Governor of Scotland, instantly to appoint and dispatch the following ambassadors to attend upon the royal and imperial courts -

To London, King James's much-loved natural brother, James Stewart, Earl of Moray;

And into the foreign parts of further Almayne, in the first instance the port of Lubeck, Gavin Douglas, Bishop of Dunkeld.

Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 08:05:03 AM »

A poem widely circulated at Edinburgh, said to be made by no other the famous makar William Dunbar - Upon the Lord Governour's Doleful Wooing; or, the Rose of England and the Lyon of Albanie

Twa naciouns the patronnes of songes yett
Both own their ain – for aye Queen Margaret
Of royall Inglis jardain rosyest fayre
Her line proclaims, her hart to Scottis care
Long safe intrusted. Whilst the Lyon Albaine
In Frances richness did his tenderest taime
Perforce ingage, to mery Scotland neares
The realmes joye, receipt with loving teares
He roares his highest for his kingdome’s guid
But what afflicts this noble beast’s ain mood?
For why it is a thorn stuck in his paw,
A slender and a silver, muckle sore,
The wounds of Cupiddes dart him now afflict,
So sicker that he lyeth down dirict.
Tak pitee, noble queen, for regall beast
Who bears sic passioun in his kindly breast.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »

The Treaty of Königsberg

Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 12:33:27 PM »

The Treaty of Königsberg

x Albrecht von Hohenzollern, Grandmaster of The Teutonic Order
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 01:51:23 PM »

His Holiness has determined the marriage between our devoted daughter, the Queen Dowager of Scotland, and one Earl of Angus, is and never was valid in the eyes of the God and the Holy Church.

The Earl of Angus angered us by openly taking another woman as his common law wife, thus mocking the sacrament of marriage. And the fact their previous engagement might've not been severed in the accordance to the canon law, adds another argument to rule accordingly.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 08:00:56 AM »

Proclamation from the King of France
The king of France congratulates the newly Holy Roman Emperor for his election.
The king of France is pleased to announce the betrothal of his daughter, princess Charlotte to the king of Scotland

xFrancis
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »

Let Mons Meg be fired from the turrets of Edinburgh Castle in rejoicing!

x James Rex Scotiae

x Albany
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 10:52:24 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2018, 11:43:11 PM by Lumine »

End of 1519

Having long planned for an expedition into Mexico following several minor advances into the region in the past day, the relationship between governor Velázquez and Hernan Cortés was all but broken when Velázquez's attempts to pull the plug on the venture were ignored by Cortés, who in direct defiance of the Governor - and technically the law - took the prepared expedition and landed on the coast, founding the new settlement of Veracruz. A resourceful men aided by key individuals who could (crucially) translate for him, Cortés set about his task and met with early success when travelling across the lands of vassals or enemies of the mighty Aztec Empire.

Aided by what seemed to be the belief of many that Cortés and his men were gods as they happened to almost perfectly coincide with a key prophecy, the explorer managed to reach an early alliance with the native Totonacs following the initial failure of the Aztecs to engage his forces, but failed to bring the powerful Tlaxcaltec forces into his side in what became a costly advance through enemy territory and a series of setbacks against the powerful Xicotencatl, ruler of Tlaxcala. Cortés's struggles were nonetheless eased by a surprising message from the Crown arrived asserting full support and funding for Cortés's expedition - to the shock of Governor Velázquez and those who viewed the expedition as illegal -, the Conquistador felt certain that he could push ahead a find himself in Tenochtitlan as it became clear just how rich the region was.

And yet a decisive obstacle presented itself on the form of Emperor Moctezuma, whose persistent doubts on the foreigners soon turned into certainty as he learned of the struggles with Tlaxcala. Determined not to allow Cortés into his capital Moctezuma warned him to turn away, and when he did not he commanded his forces to strike. Already weakened through constant warfare with the Tlaxcaltecs, the Aztec intervention led to a resounding and bitter defeat for Cortés at the Battle of Huexotzinco, Cortés himself being captured after the battle as the remnants of his expedition fought their back into a successful retreat. The survivors reached Veracruz as the news of war spread, setting the Mexica-based Aztec Empire and various Aztec tribes against the Castilians and the allied tribes Cortés managed to bring on board, and with Governor Velázquez somewhat vindicated on his criticism of his rival conqueror.

Only rumours from Tenochtitlan had reached Veracruz at the end of the year, but if they are to be believed the hapless Cortés and others were sacrificed at the Great Temple of Tenochtitlan... and quite a few natives in the vicinity of Veracruz have shown grave signs of disease.

Christian II invades Sweden!
Regent Sture killed in battle, Danish armies triumph at Vastena, Christian II rises in prominence

Despite the unexpected nature of his candidacy to the Holy Roman Empire and the enormous sums of money spent without being elected, Christian II of Denmark could nonetheless celebrate the fact that he had managed to be taken seriously as a contender for the throne and struck positive relationships with several of the Electors, a decisive factor for any monarch wishing to gain more prestige.  This apparent success was then confirmed by the King's intent to defeat the Swedish rebels and re-establish Oldenburg rule over the region once and for all in what would constitute the reunification of the Kalmar Union.

Hiring mercenaries to wage war alongside his own forces, the Danes entered the Kingdom from Sweden from Skane and inflicted several minor defeats to the Swedish forces, pushing them back at every turn. Regent Sture's attempt at rallying his forces to resist the invasion soon turned into a disaster as the outnumbered Swedish army was engaged, encircled and destroyed at the Battle of Vastena, very few survivors escaping from a field in which the Regent himself found death in battle. The aftermath of the Danish victory and the renewed support from Archbishop Trolle seemed to cement the Danish position, but Stockholm and a majority of the Kingdom is yet to surrender, and Sture's widow Christina is believed to be working to rally the Swedes into further resistance.

The World at the End of 1519

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2018, 08:05:59 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2018, 08:11:05 PM by Lumine »

Turn Two: 1520

The Cast:
In Western Europe:
Kingdom of France: King Francis I Valois (Windjammer)
Kingdom of England and Ireland: Emperor Henry VIII Tudor (Dkrol)
Kingdom of Portugal: King Manuel I Aviz (HenryWallace)
Kingdom of Castile and Aragon: King Charles I Hapsburg (Spamage)
Kingdom of Scotland: Lord Protector John Stewart, Duke of Albany (Garlan Gunter)
Republic of Venice: Doge Leonardo Loredan (GoTfan)
Papal States: Pope Leo X Medici (Kalwejt)

The Rulers in the East:
Kingdom of Denmark and Norway: King Christian II Oldenburg (JacksonHitchcock)
Kingdom of Hungary and Bohemia: King Louis II Jagiellon (YPestis25)
Kingdom of Poland and Lithuania: King Sigismund I Jagiellon (Kingpoleon)
Teutonic Knights: Grand Master Albrecht von Hohenzollern (NewTennesseanPolitician)
Grand Duchy of Moscow: Grand Duke Vasily III Rurik (King Saul)

The Sultan and the Shah:
Ottoman Empire: Sultan Selim I Osman (Dereich)
Safavid Empire: Shah Ismail I Safavid (Tim Turner)

Player Crisis:

Francis I Valois:
-Popularity: High
-Prestige: Medium
-Economy: Medium

Your Majesty,

-While your latest domestic policies have started to be implemented to some limited success (it may take years for full implementation), there’s been remarkable resistance on two different front: on one side, growing hostility from several prominent nobles regarding financial centralization and suspicions regarding your increased powers; and on the other the decision to repeal the Jewish ban, leading to several conflictive situations in Paris, Lyon and other cities as many treat the newcomers with great hostility. How will you address this?

-The sudden moves of several European powers to undermine the Hapsburg colonial empire has come as a surprise, but also as an opportunity. Indeed, there are some at court who continuously suggest that France could very well start playing the colonial game and gain new territories to hold, and there’s also the complex matter of the Venetian colony of St. Mark- your ally – to consider. How will you conduct yourself in the colonial game?

-For the time being the Imperial Crown has been wrestled by the Tudors and taken away by the Hapsburgs, eliminating a potential danger. While the refusal to enter the Imperial race proved a significant loss of prestige, the handover of Calais has assuaged public criticism of your actions. And now that the Hapsburgs are left without the Empire, how will you deal with the vast domains of Charles I?

Henry VIII Tudor:
-Popularity: Low
-Prestige: High
-Economy: Low

Your Majesty,

-Victory at the Imperial Election has been enormously costly in all senses, but it has also empowered you abroad with an enormous amount of prestige and turned you into the official face of the anti-Hapsburg block within the Empire. And yet not only is the Empire rocked by the demands of Church Reform and the Saxon support for Luther, you must also decide how will you attempt to govern an Empire despite having no lands of your own in it.

-Despite the foreign triumph the domestic situation is a grave crisis, as Cardinal Wolsey warns after his return from Germany. Political factions have formed to defend the rights of either Princess Mary or the Duke of Richmond, there’s widespread hostility and even outrage among the public at the loss of Berwick and Calais, and even worse, rumor has it the powerful Duke of Buckingham may be undertaking intense efforts within the Court and consulting with other nobles, even if he still professes his public loyalty. How will you deal with this situation?

-An unexpected series of developments within the Kingdom of Scotland have dramatically altered the situation of your weaker neighbor, Lord Protector Albany having strengthened his authority enough to send troops to instill order in the Scottish border – to the anger of the English lords at the Scottish Marches – and being on the verge of joining your family through a planned marriage to your sister Margaret. Should Albany be treated as an ally and his success welcomed, or should he be considered more of a threat to England despite the Treaty of Berwick?

Manuel I Aviz:
-Popularity: Medium
-Economy: High

-While the intervention in Aden was conceived as a different affair than what it become, the Battle of the Gulf of Aden places your forces in Yemen at war with the Ottoman armies of Suleiman and opens a decisive question on whether Portugal can afford waging war against the Ottoman Empire, or what the cost would be from giving the Ottomans free reign to hold Yemen and particularly the port of Aden. With your commanders requesting urgent instructions, what will you do?

-Efforts to begin the fortification of key positions in Brazil have been successful up to this point, establishing enough minor forts to hold both the northern and southern areas of the region in which your men have settled. Still, the biggest question to be answered – particularly in light of the new Aztec War – is how the natives ought to be treated and handled. How should colonial policy in Brazil develop in this area?

-Despite your best attempts to stop Magellan the extra support from the Hapsburg Crown was enough to allow the traitorous captain to escape south, racing with an English expedition to reach the islands in what would constitute quite a blow to Portuguese aspirations if either captain is successful. Will you take further steps on this matter? And how will you deal with the fact that the English have also sent an expedition?

Charles I Hapsburg:
-Prestige: Low

-The Empire has been dramatically lost to the Tudors, and while it remains to be seen for how long there is some significant solace in knowing that due to the vast holdings you possess within the Empire you can still counter the authority of an Emperor with no lands in Germany proper, and who  is already facing significant problems of his own at home. How will you deal with the new Holy Roman Emperor?

-Unfortunate news from the Americas, Your Majesty. Not only have the upstart English and Portuguese attempted to sink the Magellan fleet and reach the Spice Islands as well, the defeat of the Cortés expedition leaves you with a complex war against the Aztec Empire and with a powerful Governor of Cuba still puzzled by your sudden embrace of Cortés’s technically illegal expedition. And even further, the Venetians have dared to breach the Treaty of Tordesillas and settle north of Florida. How will you react to these stunning colonial developments?

-Your new domestic agenda and personal efforts have begun to show early signs of success as the hold on Aragon strengthens, parts of the Castilian nobility start showing less hostility to the Crown, and attempts to ease up the complex matter of Queen Joanna prove helpful. Still, not only is the city of Seville and its merchant-aristocratic class furious at the loss of their privileges within a decade, the gathered Cortes have put forward several demands of their own before accepting your requests for further tax concessions and revenue, including decentralization in Castile, support for the organized local communities and reserving high positions to Castilians and not foreigners. How will you handle the Cortes?  

Duke of Albany:

-After substantial efforts you have made a triumphal return back into a relatively more stable Scotland, and with a curious opportunity ahead of you. Following the Pope’s controversial decision to grant several marriage annulments – which a few young priests have already criticized within the Kingdom – Queen Dowager Margaret Tudor stands very much attainable, a marriage which would mark your entry in the English Royal Family as well. Will you take the decisive step and marry the ambitious Margaret?

-Temporary reconciliation has been achieved with the Earl of Angus and his supporters, but at the cost of inflicting a grave offense on Clan Hamilton and earning the declared enmity of the Earl of Arran following his dismissal from the Privy Council. With the internal situation still complex despite Angus’s current war against the raiders on the border, how will you handle the Hamiltons? Can you stop them from taking hostile actions against one of your supporters or your regency?

-Following a brief exploration trip to the New World new lands have been found up in the north, and seemingly far away from Spanish influence. Will you follow the lead of the English and the Venetians and seek to have Scotland enter the colonial game despite the inevitable breach of the Treaty of Tordesillas?

Leonardo Loredan:
-Economy: Very High

-Amidst much ceremony and fanfare the first professional units of a Venetian Army are being trained and armed, leading to some degree of patriotic fervor within the city. Still, it soon becomes clear that growth into a sufficiently large force will become very difficult due to the lack of manpower, a direct effect of the limited population of Venice compared to other powers. How will you deal with this?

-After your promises of a reward a group of businessmen have founded St. Mark in the Americas, and have returned to both collect their prize and request assistance. If St. Mark is to grow and thrive beyond the few current settlers it will need a steady flow of resources, which will either have to go through the Hapsburg controlled Strait of Gibraltar or be shipped by an ally. Will you risk action by the Castilians by suppling St. Mark and promoting a Venetian colonial empire?

-The strong declaration on privacy has seemingly had something of an effect in deterring some minor pirates, but the more brazen ones remain a problem and continue to plague the Mediterranean from their bases in Northern Africa. With places like Algiers, Tunis and Morocco proving a persistent source of piracy, will you take bolder action on this issue?

Christian II Oldenburg:

-Avoiding the ongoing standoff with the Danish nobility has not helped ease up their discontent, only the war with Sweden stopping some of your critics to step up with their rhetoric. With continuously louder calls to dismiss Willoms as one of your advisers and criticisms of the pro-commoner politics becoming the norm, will you take actions or further deflect the issue?

-Victory at Vastena leaves the vast Kingdom of Sweden open for invasion and your hated rival Sture dead at last. Still, even with Archbishop Trolle on your side there’s still a strong push for resistance among surviving opponents to Danish rule and Sture’s widow, and there’s a general belief that a lot will depend on your policies towards the defeated. How will you handle the Swedish matter after this significant victory?

-Although victory at the Imperial Election could not be found, it should be noted that your relatively successful campaign has increased your international prestige, and particularly your standing among several German Electors. With a new Emperor, will you seek to play a role in the internal politics of the Empire or take advantage of this newfound prestige in some way?

Louis II Jagiellon:
-Prestige: Very Low
-Economy: Very Low

-As your fourteenth year begins there are still lingering questions on when will you seek to implement personal rule and dismiss the current Regents, or whether Hungary will continue to be governed by Cardinal Bakócz and the other leading figures chosen by your late father. Is the time ripe for action?

-So far your domains in Hungary and Bohemia have avoided foreign aggression, the Venetians seemingly focusing their energies elsewhere and Sultan Selim busy fighting a war in Yemen and dealing with the Knights of St. John. Still, the state of the Hungarian military remains poor and highly decentralized due to the private armies of the nobility. Can you find a way to keep both your Kingdoms safe during these troublesome times?

-During the past year the marriage issue has only become more prominent as many wonder whether your marriage with the Queen will stop being a match solely by proxy, or whether your sister will indeed get to the marry Ferdinand von Hapsburg despite his defeat at the Imperial Election. As other rulers appear interested in marriage alliances with your family, what will it be?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2018, 08:10:25 PM »

Leo X Medici:

-The death of your nephew Lorenzo and his wife last year has meant the partial end of a dream given his rising status as Lord of Florence and Urbino, and opened up questions both on the future of his infant daughter Catherine and specially the fate of both dominions. With Urbino permanently endangered by the pretensions of the excommunicated Francesco Maria della Rovere, and Florence still possessing strong Republican elements hidden in the shadows, what should be done to address the problems left by Lorenzo’s untimely demise?

-Despite initial success at a compromise regarding indulgences the entire Reform question has entered into a critical face as the Church faces both attacks over the latest marriage annulments and the Brandenburg-led critique of the indulgency suspension; and the ongoing trouble posed by Luther, whose provocation by Eck has led to an infamous renunciation of Papal infallibility which has the more conservative and fanatical cardinals howling for Luther’s arrest and punishment as a heretic to set an example. With an increasingly complex process at hand, what will you do?

-After Petrucci’s conspiracy and execution and the naming of over thirty cardinals the Medici faction of the College of Cardinals has appeared to be rather predominant for the past couple of years, but concerning reports from some Papal agents and diplomats suggest that at least one foreign power may be spending sums to create a faction of Cardinals of their own. On the other hand, such rumors don’t appear to have supporting facts yet, as some Cardinals have even started being more vocal in your support. How will you react to those rumors?

Sigismund I Jagiellon:

-Your decisions on the succession matter while giving you more heirs on the basis of legitimization have led to an internal conflict within your family – particularly from the furious Queen - and to substantial criticism from those who fear that you have opened up the door for future succession conflicts. In the meantime, Queen Bona has just given birth to your son and possible heir, significantly bolstering her prestige and popularity amidst her resentment at your factions. How will you handle family matters from now on?

-The aftermath of the Treaties of Kiev and Konigsberg has left you with an increased diplomatic standing and looking strong, the treaties themselves being popular among the Polish and Lithuanian citizenships due to the perceived humiliation of the Teutons and the Muscovites, but there are still significant foreign matters to address. With Moscow divided in civil war – as you must also decide what to do with your prisoner Glinksi -, Sweden hoping to survive a Danish invasion and the Crimean Khan getting stronger, will you take direct intervention on these matters?

-With the recent treaties affording you cover from the Imperial defeat and the succession troubles, some courtiers have begun speculating as to whether your relationship with the Sejm merits some changes. Dramatically empowered thanks to the Nihil Novi laws, the Polish Sejm prevents you from enacting laws without their consent – a far different outlook than the more autocratic Lithuania -, and while you have sought compromise so far some of your advisers are pushing you for a stronger stand on empowering the Crown. Will you do it?

Albrecht von Hohenzollern:

-Far from a success, the outcome of the Treaty of Konigsberg appears to have significantly undermined not only the financial situation of the Order, but your standing in it. Indeed, several prominent knights have criticized what they see as submission to Poland and dismissal of their loyalty to the Papacy, and while none has uttered the words in public there’s suspicion that in private you may be a victim of accusations of cowardice. What will you do?

-Your proclamation concerning the Livonian Order may have had a different effect than intended, as Master von Plettenberg has angrily expelled your officers and rejected centralization by dismissing it as “improper tyranny” coming from the head of the Order. With the expelled brothers furious and many considering it an insult to your authority, how will you react?

-The ongoing crisis within the Church and the new leadership of the Empire both pose significant challenges and opportunities, particularly as the Teutonic Order technically depends on Pope Leo and the new Emperor Henry when it comes to the continued legality of their rule over Prussia. Will you seek to alter the current relationship with the Pope, or strike different sorts of ties with the new Emperor?

Vasily III Rurik:
-Popularity: Very Low

-Following the uprising of the Boyars you have been forced to flee Moscow and take residence up north with the forces that remain loyal to you, a still significant force which if well led could still win the war. How will you fight this civil war and regain your seat in Moscow?

-With the perceived humiliation of Kiev weighing heavily on your prestige it would appear unlikely for Moscow to receive immediate assistance from a neighbor, but there are options to be considered even with the Teutonic Knights or the Polish King. Will you seek foreign support to crush the rebels to your rule?

-The mysterious death of your wife and the strong refusal of your planned match have left you single, and still devoid of heirs. Will you seek a new bride elsewhere?

Selim I Osman:
-Prestige: Very High
-Economy: High

-Despite being planned as a brief campaign to seize Yemen, the expedition against the Mamluks has become open warfare not only with the Mamluk survivors, but with the Portuguese expedition deployed against Aden. While the Crown Prince is confident that he can achieve victory against the enemy there’s still the matter of prolonged warfare to be considered, and what would mean to wage war against Portugal for the Indian Ocean. How will you conduct this conflict?

-In the aftermath of the fall of Rhodes and the crucial improvement of the strategic situation in the Aegean a series of issues are still to be resolved. On one side there’s the matter of the few hundred surviving Knights of St. John, forced to surrender after the siege and whose fate is still to be decided. On the other, the fact that the Venetians have begun militarization efforts and are significantly improving the fortifications in Crete and Cyprus, something which could be interpreted as an act of defiance. What will you do?

-A disturbing report reaches your main camp coming from Anatolia, reporting that what seems like a small revolt in rural areas is in progress. From what can be ascertained bands of bandits and deserting soldiers have gathered under the leadership of the charismatic preacher Celal, who appears to be battling your local officials and taking advantage of the growing availability of firearms within the empire to wage this revolt. What instructions will you give to deal with this matter?

Ismail I Safavid:

-The general lack of activity at court is proving to be a persistent problem as the prestige of the House of Safavid continues to drop, and the Vizier continues to centralize power in apparent reaction of what many describe as a lack of leadership. How will you turn things around?

-After the recent battles in Yemen the Ottoman Empire and the Portuguese find themselves at war with each other, a conflict which promises to have consecuences for supremacy across the seas. While it is uncertain whether each of the contenders – past foes of yours – will approach you, will you seek to intervene in the Yemen conflict and pick a side?

-The Ottoman decision to continue the embargo has brought further economic problems for the Empire as the silk industry starts to face enormous troubles to remain afloat, its merchandise virtually barred from European markets. Will you take action to drop the embargo or address the economic situation before it’s too late?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2018, 11:10:19 PM »

Sigismund I, King of Poland, Grand Duke of Lithuania

We celebrate the birth of our first son! Our fourth child, brother of Princess Hedwig, Princess Anna, and Princess Izabella. Should we pass away prior to the majority of our rightful heir, Count Jan of Warsaw, Duchess Barbara of Saxony, Casimir II of Cieszyn, and Charles of Podebrady shall become co-regents, with Queen Bona Sforza taking precedence over these four. Furthermore, my newborn son shall be known as Prince Nikolas, Count of Krakow - Nikolas because his birth signals the victory of our people. It is our solemn prayer that, once we have passed, he becomes a King and Grand Duke who honors and glorifies God and the memory of his forefathers. Glory to God who has sent us Prince Nikolas.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2018, 11:53:22 PM »

The Royal Families of Europe, 1520

The Aviz:

Monarch: Manuel I of Portugal (b. 1469), married to Eleanor of Austria (b. 1498)
Issue:
1.   Joao (b. 1502), Crown Prince
2.   Isabel (b. 1503)
3.   Beatriz (b. 1504)
4.   Luis (b. 1506)
5.   Fernando (b. 1507)
6.   Alfonso (b. 1509)
7.   Henrique (b. 1512)
8.   Duarte (b. 1515)
9.     Son (b. 1520)
Important Relatives:
10.   Eleanor (b. 1458) and Isabel (b. 1459), the King’s surviving widowed sisters

The Osmans:
Monarch: Sultan Selim I (b. 1470), married to Hafsa Sultan (b. 1475)
Issue:
1.   Suleiman (b. 1494), Crown Prince, married to Mahidevran (b. 1500)
2.     Hatice (b. 1496), Beyhan (b. 1497), Hafize (b. 1499), Fatma (b. 1500), Hafsa (b. 1500) and Sah (b. 1507), the Sultan's daughters
Important Relatives:
3.   Mahmud (b. 1512) and Mustafa (b. 1515), Suleiman’s sons
4.   Üveys Pasha (b. 1498), the Sultan’s stepson

The Tudors:
Monarch: Henry VII of England (b. 1491), married to Catherine of Aragon (b. 1485)
Issue:
1.   Mary (b. 1516), betrothed to Joachim Hector of Brandenburg (b. 1505)
2.     Henry, Duke of Richmond (b. 1518), betrothed to Maria of Saxony (b. 1515)
Important Relatives:
3.   Margaret, Queen Dowager of Scotland (b. 1489), the King’s elder sister
4.   James V, King of Scotland (b. 1512), Margaret’s son and Margaret Douglas (b. 1515), Margaret’s daughter
5.   Mary, former Queen of France (b. 1496), the King’s younger sister, married to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk (b. 1484)
6.   Henry Brandon (b. 1516), Frances Brandon (b. 1517), Eleanor Brandon (1519), Suffolk and Mary’s children
7.   Edward Stafford, Duke of Buckingham (b. 1478), distant relative of the King
8.   Richard de la Pole, the White Rose, Earl of Suffolk (b. 1480), Yorkist claimant

The Valois:
Monarch: Francis I of France (b. 1494), married to Claude, Duchess of Britanny (b. 1499)
Issue:
1.   Charlotte (b. 1516)
2.   Francis (b. 1518), Dauphin of France
3.     Henry (b. 1519)
4.     Daughter (b. 1520)
Important Relatives:
5.   Louise of Savoy (b. 1476), the King’s mother
6.   Marguerite de Valois  (b. 1492), the King’s sister
7.   Charles, Duke of Alencon (b. 1489), Marguerite’s husband and prince du sang
8.   Charles, Duke of Bourbon (b. 1490), prince du sang
9.   Charles, Duke of Vendome (b. 1489), prince du sang

The Hapsburgs:
Monarch: Charles I of Castile and Aragon (b. 1500)
Issue: None.
Important Relatives:
1.   Joanna I, Queen of Castile (b. 1479), the King’s mother
2.   Ferdinand (b. 1501), the King’s brother and heir, betrothed to Anne of Hungary
3.   Eleanor, Queen of Portugal (b. 1498), the King’s sister, married to Manuel I of Portugal
4.   Isabella, Queen of Denmark (b. 1501), the King’s sister, married to Christian II of Denmark
5.   Mary, Queen of Hungary (b. 1505), the King’s sister, married to Louis II of Hungary
6.   Catherine (b. 1507)
7.   Margaret of Austria (b. 1480), the King’s aunt, widowed
8.   Catherine of Aragon (b. 1485), the King’s aunt, married to Henry VIII of England

The Stewarts:
Monarch: James V of Scotland (b. 1512)
Issue: None
Important Relatives:
1.   Margaret, Queen Dowager of Scotland (b. 1489), the King’s mother
2.   Margaret Douglas (b. 1515), The King's half sister
3.   John Stewart, Duke of Albany (b. 1481), Regent of Scotland and heir presumptive

The Jagiellons of Hungary:
Monarch: Louis II of Hungary and Bohemia (b. 1506), married to Mary of Hapsburg (b. 1505)
Important Relatives:
1.   Anne of Hungary (b. 1503), the King's sister, betrothed to Ferdinand of Hapsburg (b. 1501)
2.   Sigismund I (b. 1467), King of Poland, the King's uncle

The Jagiellons of Poland-Lithuania:
Monarch: Sigismund I of Poland and Lithuania (b. 1467), married to Bona Sforza (b. 1494)
Issue:
1.     Jan (b. 1499)
2.     Regina (b. 1501)
3.     Katarzyna (b. 1503)
4.   Hedwig (b. 1513)
5.   Anna (b. 1515)
6.     Isabella (b. 1519)
7.     Nikolas (b. 1520), Crown Prince
Important Relatives:
8.     Louis II of Hungary and Bohemia (b. 1506), the King's nephew
9.   Barbara (b. 1478), the King's surviving sister, Duchess Consort of Saxony

The Oldenburgs:
Monarch: Christian II of Denmark and Norway (b. 1481), married to Isabella of Austria (b. 1501)
Issue:
1.   John (b. 1518), Crown Prince
2.   Daughter (b. 1520)
Important Relatives:
3.   Francis (b. 1497), the King’s brother
4.   Elizabeth  (b. 1485), the King’s sister, married to Joachim Nestor, Elector of Brandenburg
5.   Frederick (b. 1471), the King's uncle, married to Sophie of Pomerania (b. 1498)
6.     Christian (b. 1503) and Dorothea (b. 1504), Frederick's son and daughter

The Safavids:
Monarch: Ismail I of the Safavid Empire (b. 1487), married to several wives
Issue:
1.   Tahmasp (b. 1514), Crown Prince
2.   Alqas (b. 1515)
3.     Sam (b. 1518)
4.     Bahram (b. 1518)
5.     Gunish (b. 1507), Pari (b. 1508), Zainab (b. 1519), Farangis (b. 1519), Mahin (b. 1519), the Shah's daughters

The Ruriks:
Monarch: Vasily III of Moscow (b. 1479)
Important Relatives:
1.   Yury (b. 1480), Dimitry (b. 1481) and Andrey (b. 1490), the Grand Duke's unmarried brothers
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2018, 12:07:23 AM »

Current Armies and Navies:

Kingdom of France:
Can mobilize up to four field armies.
20 ships.

Kingdom of England and Ireland:
Can mobilize up to two field armies.
30 ships.

Kingdom of Portugal:
Currently has limited forces in Yemen and Brazil.
Can mobilize up to half a field army.
57 ships (17 in Yemen)

Kingdom of Castile and Aragon:
Can mobilize up to six field armies.
25 ships.

Kingdom of Scotland:
Currently has limited forces in the Scottish border.
Can mobilize up to half a field army.
6 ships.

Republic of Venice:
Currently building a standing army in Venice.
Can mobilize up to one field army.
120 ships.

Papal States:
No navy.

Kingdom of Denmark and Norway:
Currently has an entire field army (plus mercenary forces) in Sweden.
Cannot mobilize more men.
30 ships (10 in Sweden).

Kingdom of Hungary and Bohemia:
Can mobilize up to two field armies.
No navy.

Kingdom of Poland and Lithuania:
Can mobilize up to three field armies.
5 ships.

Teutonic Knights:
5 ships.

Grand Duchy of Moscow:
Currently has a partial field army north of Moscow.
Cannot mobilize more men.
No navy.

Ottoman Empire:
Currently fields two field armies in Yemen.
Can mobilize up to eight field armies.
93 ships (13 in Yemen).

Safavid Empire:
Can mobilize up to four field armies.
No navy.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2018, 12:29:59 AM »

Frisian Revolt at a critical moment!
Duke of Guelders considering withdrawing support, Hapsburg Netherlands standing strong, will Emperor Henry intervene?

Although Hapsburg control over their portion of the Burgundian inheritance in the Netherlands had been successfully ruled and organized over the past few years - particularly through the stellar work of Governor Margaret of Austria, recently re-confirmed on her role -, the continued resistance and hostility of the Duke of Guelders had proven a persistent problem that not even Margaret had managed to put down. A partial consequence of those struggles for power had been the ignition of a powerful revolt in Frisia of peasants, mercenaries and even a handful of petty noblemen (the so-called Arumer Zwarte Hoop) led by the charismatic, almost larger-than-life Pier Gerlofs Donia, a former soldier and peasant who had been wronged in the past.

Financed and supported by the Duke of Guelders, Donia and his forces - numbering as many as 4,000 men - have fought Hapsburg rule for almost five years in a constant struggle, sacking tows, capturing castles and sinking as many as 30 ships from Holland and the neighboring provinces through daring acts of piracy. Despite this relatively successful revolt there are dark clouds in the horizon for Grutte Pier ("Great Pier") and his men, as not only they've proved unable to overthrow Hapsburg rule thanks to the efficient administration of Margaret, they're also facing serious financial issues and the potential loss of support from the Duke of Guelders due to the sheer cost of supporting the revolt.

With the Hapsburgs looking towards potential victory as the revolt faces its critical point the new developments within the Empire have observers in the region wondering whether the tide may not turn again should other nations break what has been their neutrality so far. Will the Emperor Henry intervene on this serious disturbance within the nominal boundaries of his Empire? Can Charles I and Margaret smash the rebels once and for all and bring Friesland into the fold? And will other monarchs risk the wrath of Castile-Aragon or earn their gratitude through intervention?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2018, 12:48:06 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2018, 01:09:48 AM by DKrol »

Henry VIII Tudor, Elected Holy Roman Emperor, Forever August, King of the Germans, King of Italy, King of the Romans, and Coronated King of England and Lord of Ireland

I, Henry VIII Tudor, Elected Holy Roman Emperor, Forever August, King of the Germans, King of Italy, King of the Romans, and Coronated King of England and Lord of Ireland, do hereby proclaim that the Treaty of Tordesillas, being promulgated by His Holiness Pope Julius II, will be enforced as the law of the Holy Roman Empire and all of Christendom. Any king found breaking the Treaty of Tourdesillas will face repercussions for doing so.

Further, I, Henry VIII Tudor, Elected Holy Roman Emperor, Forever August, King of the Germans, King of Italy, King of the Romans, and Coronated King of England and Lord of Ireland, do hereby proclaim that Louis V of Palatine is to henceforth serve as the Chancellor of the Holy Roman Empire, serving as the primis inter pares of the German princes and acting as my representative on the Continent.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2018, 10:00:17 AM »

Proclamation from the King of France
The King of France is pleased to announce the birth of his daughter, princess Madeleine
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2018, 01:13:32 PM »

Sigismund I, King of Poland, Grand Duke of Lithuania

Our royal majesty decrees that Prince Michael Glinsky shall be tried for the following charges: One count of Treason against His Majesty, One count of illegal rebellion, Twenty-six counts of illegal conspiracy with others, Two counts of conspiring with foreign nations(Vladislav II, Khan Menghli Giray)  against His Majesty, One count of defection to a foreign nation(Muscovy), and Three counts of taking arms against His Majesty - one in the name of Kaunus Castle, another in the name of Grodno, and one more in the name of Vilnius. A jury of eleven Lithuanian nobles shall preside over his trial.

A Privy Council shall be formed, including: Albertas Goštautas, Krzysztof Szydłowiecki, Piotr Tomicki, Hieronymus Łaski, Andrzej Kościelecki, Frederick II of Legnica, Jan Łaski, Jan Tarnowski, Nicolaus Copernicus, Jerzy Radziwiłł, Casimir II of Cieszyn, Jan II of Opole, Mikołaj Firlej, Konstanty Ostrogski, and Piotr Kmita Sobieński.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies