Meanwhile in Saudi Arabia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:19:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Meanwhile in Saudi Arabia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Meanwhile in Saudi Arabia  (Read 2984 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2018, 07:48:52 AM »
« edited: November 06, 2018, 06:33:14 AM by Meclazine »

Looks like journalists are not the only profession to be executed in Saudi Arabia...

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-31/saudi-arabia-executes-migrant-worker-without-informing-indonesia/10450624?pfmredir=sm

Interesting part of that is that there are 18 more Indonesian maids on death row.

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 08:15:14 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2018, 08:41:17 AM by PSOL »

The Saudis do this to put the maids in line. Same conditions exist all over the gulf states.

Just in:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indonesia-saudi-execution/indonesia-protests-to-saudi-over-execution-of-maid-convicted-of-murder-idUSKCN1N51JA
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 10:06:13 AM »

Saudi Arabia is grotesque. Trump has even admitted the reasons why we are friends with them, because they buy our weapons and they "help" with Israel. Fine, but don't pretend to care about human rights abuses in Iran.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »

MBS has made a lot of enemies within his huge-ass family...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 10:31:01 AM »

I believe it's hardly the first time Saudis pulled something like this. Their treatment of migrant workers had always been shameful, and many are in no better condition than slaves (a practice which wasn't "abolished" until the 60s.)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 12:01:05 PM »

Don't they get rid of their errant or unliked servants by complaining to the local Imams that they are wizards and things of that nature?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 07:04:11 PM »

I am calling BS on this one:

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/01/12/asia/saudi-teen-australia-canada-asylum-intl/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2F

She tried to come to Australia, but because we took longer than two days to process her refugee application, she apparently 'chose' Canada instead.

She claims her parents were going to kill her.

Which parent is going to kill their child after she told 5.7 Bn people on Facebook?

Social media attention-seeker who is politically allergic to Saudi Arabia because they are out of fashion at the moment.

Anyway, off to -40 deg in Toronto.

Good luck with that.

Once her social media star fades, she will be back in Saudi in less than 3 months.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 08:02:56 PM »

She probably chose Australia originally because she thought she could make it there before her family figured it out. Since Canada is generally friendlier to refugees than Australia, it makes sense for her to head there. It's not as if Canada needs Saudi oil anyway.

In any case, the average low in Toronto in January is +20F and the record low is -27F and if she really can't stand the cold, in Vancouver, the average low is still above freezing and the record low is only 0F.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 09:03:24 AM »
« Edited: March 25, 2022, 05:43:38 PM by Meclazine »

Toronto in January is the coldest s$%tcan i've ever been in.

Woah! I thought my heart was getting cold.

Yesterday in my work area, it was 118F.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 07:42:40 PM »

Toronto on January is the coldest s$%tcan i've ever been in.

Canada is Australia in a freezer. But seriously, summers in Australia sound nasty and unbearable, with highs of over 40 Celsius without the humidex. You can fry a egg on car in the summer in Australia and asphalt even melts in summers.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 07:55:48 PM »

Toronto on January is the coldest s$%tcan i've ever been in.

Canada is Australia in a freezer. But seriously, summers in Australia sound nasty and unbearable, with highs of over 40 Celsius without the humidex. You can fry a egg on car in the summer in Australia and asphalt even melts in summers.
What 'da hell is a "celsius?" Speak American man!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 06:31:48 PM »

Yesterday at my work:

117 deg F

At 5pm, 105 deg F
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2022, 02:26:15 PM »

Bringing this thread back for this:

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 07:04:17 AM »

Bad country is still bad, more as we get it.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2022, 11:09:42 AM »

Saudi Arabia is a brutal regime that must be destroyed by Iran, China, Hamas, Hezbollah, Syria, and the Houthis.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2022, 09:30:10 PM »

So with Russia floundering in Ukraine (and revealing itself to be a paper tiger -or bear) and the United States steadily withdrawing from the region, the Arab world (starting with Saudi Arabia) is looking to strengthen their ties to China instead:

Saudi Arabia invites China's Xi to visit Riyadh: report
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2022, 10:06:09 AM »

Years into their expensive campaign, the Saudis are faring even worse than Russia. The Houthis have developed low-cost ballistic and anti-aircraft solutions and are putting them to effective use on their side of the border and deep within the Kingdom itself.

WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2022, 11:48:10 AM »

Years into their expensive campaign, the Saudis are faring even worse than Russia. The Houthis have developed low-cost ballistic and anti-aircraft solutions and are putting them to effective use on their side of the border and deep within the Kingdom itself.

Saudi Arabia and the UAE want to be pissy with the West? Ok, enjoy fending off the Houthis and Iranians yourselves.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2022, 06:21:00 PM »

The Houthis have developed low-cost ballistic and anti-aircraft solutions and are putting them to effective use on their side of the border and deep within the Kingdom itself.

Which border are the Houthis attacking from? Saudi Arabia should be able to maintain good security at it's border given their geographical isolation on the peninsula.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2022, 06:53:03 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2022, 09:38:59 PM by Meclazine »

Saudi Arabia planning to build 500m high twin skyscrapers that run parallel next to each other for 120km.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/25/saudi-arabia-to-build-1tr-mirrored-skyscraper-in-neom

Housing up to 5 Million people in one building.

https://interestingengineering.com/75-mile-long-skyscrapers-saudi-arabia

It's about time we showed up the Ancient Greeks, Persians and Egyptians. Not since Donald Trump have we seen a desire to build a structure on such a grand dimension.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2022, 06:40:35 AM »

Like many of the "nouveau riche", the rulers of the KSA have absolutely no taste.
SInNYC

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2022, 01:14:13 PM »

I would think that a 120K (75 miles) long tower would suffer from engineering issues, since earth's curvature probably starts playing a factor. I'm also not sure how many people would want to live in this structure (and better hope their electricity is 100.00% reliable if you live in a high floor, both for elevators and water).

It also seems to be a long east-west fence (dont tell Trumpsters). I'm guessing there isnt much wildlife in the Saudi desert, but I wonder about bird flight paths.

Does anybody think a huge mirror in the desert is a good idea?

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2022, 03:24:00 PM »

I would think that a 120K (75 miles) long tower would suffer from engineering issues, since earth's curvature probably starts playing a factor. I'm also not sure how many people would want to live in this structure (and better hope their electricity is 100.00% reliable if you live in a high floor, both for elevators and water).

It also seems to be a long east-west fence (dont tell Trumpsters). I'm guessing there isnt much wildlife in the Saudi desert, but I wonder about bird flight paths.

Does anybody think a huge mirror in the desert is a good idea?

I think it's a great idea.

The curvature of the Earth is not a problem. The Earth definitely curves over 120km. So much so, you might not be able to see one end of the building from the other end if you had super binoculars. Need a mathematics-physics person to test that hypothesis.

The real issue is what caused the eventual destruction of the seven Ancient Wonders of the World.

Rampaging Mongols and Greeks. Just jokes.

No. Earthquakes are a huge risk to a structure of this scale. The Earth's surface is actually like a jelly, it flexes and bends with long wavelengths.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2022, 07:22:05 PM »

Like many of the "nouveau riche", the rulers of the KSA have absolutely no taste.

Wahhabi clerics: we must destroy all godless and idolatorous human history in Arabia

al-Saud: so we can replace it with self-parodying post-modern horror
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2022, 09:32:45 PM »

Saudi Arabia and the UAE want to be pissy with the West? Ok, enjoy fending off the Houthis and Iranians yourselves.
The Houthis and the Iranian regime are not a threat and do not want war against any NATO member and even Israel. Why do we need to fend them off?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies