European views on social issues, immigration, religion, etc.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:26:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European views on social issues, immigration, religion, etc.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: European views on social issues, immigration, religion, etc.  (Read 1361 times)
Lourdes
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2018, 04:02:41 PM »

http://www.pewforum.org/2018/10/29/eastern-and-western-europeans-differ-on-importance-of-religion-views-of-minorities-and-key-social-issues/

Some interesting findings here.

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:12:40 PM »

Spain is pretty damn woke, lol
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 05:03:00 PM »

Interesting data
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 05:58:51 PM »

Honestly I'm always fascinated at the big amount of social change we had in the last 40 years. From Europe's last fascist dictatorship to one of the most progressive countries

I actually remember when I watched a documentary series about recient Spanish history, that was what surprised me the most, the big amount of societal change in around 30 years (documentary stopped in 08)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 05:59:45 PM »

LOL Greece.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 06:11:20 PM »

The Metaxas Dictatorship years and current financial crisis have not put the country in good shape.

Honestly I'm always fascinated at the big amount of social change we had in the last 40 years. From Europe's last fascist dictatorship to one of the most progressive countries

I actually remember when I watched a documentary series about recient Spanish history, that was what surprised me the most, the big amount of societal change in around 30 years (documentary stopped in 08)
What exactly did happen to bring Spain to this, I would have expected the Franco holdouts to drag the country down,along with the Recession.
Aboa
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 09:17:14 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2018, 09:22:58 PM by Aboa »

I'd imagine that the border between those opposing and supporting same-sex marriage will shift towards east quite rapidly, here's for example support for same sex marriage in Estonia by age and language.

gottsu
Poland

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 09:22:15 AM »

I am totally not suprised. In most of the Eastern and Central-Eastern European countries (like in mine, Poland) Catholic or Orthodox Church do possess very large influence over the ordinary peoples living there. Same in Greece.

There is some explanation why it is like that. Eastern or Central-Eastern European lands were frequently conquered, partitioned or occupated in the past, the rulers were changing frequently and in effect there was no such kind of political, social or historical continuity like it is in Western Europe, and only one institution in ex. Poland, Greece or Hungary who had some sort of continuity through the ages was the church, so it is no wonder that the Catholic or Orthodox Church want to return the favor nowadays after largely helping to hold back the national, political or social unity of ex. my country, but that case doesn't applies to Spain or Ireland (where church was also influential back in the time), and the reason why I think could be a different culture of Irish or Spaniards compared to ex. Poles or Greeks.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 11:37:45 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2018, 01:43:46 PM by The Conflict »

So there are some countries where the percentage that identifies as "still Christian" is lower than the percentage that believes in God. Crazy.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 11:42:43 AM »

I am totally not suprised. In most of the Eastern and Central-Eastern European countries (like in mine, Poland) Catholic or Orthodox Church do possess very large influence over the ordinary peoples living there. Same in Greece.

I'm talking about the hubris of virtually all Greeks believing their culture to be superior to others given their current situation and the longest decline in human history.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »

Based Czechia.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 05:59:05 PM »

The 42% in Bosnia is less than the 50.1% of the population who are Bosniaks (and thereby at least cultural Muslims) according to the 2013 census.
Omega21

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 06:02:49 PM »

The 42% in Bosnia is less than the 50.1% of the population who are Bosniaks (and thereby at least cultural Muslims) according to the 2013 census.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The 42% is mostly based on answers from Serbs and Croat (plus the few other really small minorities like Roma).
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 12:59:32 AM »

Seems a strong East/West divide.  Ironically asides from the Balkans and Russia there aren't very many Muslims in most European countries and where they are found, they've been there for centuries not over the past few decades like in much of Western Europe.  Balkans seem a bit less Islamophobic but I suppose the fact they have a larger Muslim population or at least the former Yugoslavia did when united might be part of it.
Brasil acima de tudo

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »

Fall of communism was the best thing to happen in history of humanity. Beautiful numbers coming from the east.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies