CBS News / YouGov: Braun +3 (IN), Sinema +3 (AZ), Tied in FL (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:49:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Senatorial Election Polls
  CBS News / YouGov: Braun +3 (IN), Sinema +3 (AZ), Tied in FL (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CBS News / YouGov: Braun +3 (IN), Sinema +3 (AZ), Tied in FL  (Read 5520 times)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« on: October 28, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »

It seems to me that pretty much every pollster is "terrible" according to this forum.

In reality, YouGov is B-rated pollster with a mean-reverted bias of only D+0.3 over 375 polls analyzed. That is not bad at all.

I could make up numbers close to the polling averages of other firms and be a B-rated pollster.

I think the main reason why YouGov, and a lot of other pollsters are criticized as being "terrible" ("not the best" would probably be a better and fairer way to put it) is not so much just a matter of pollster rating, but their methodology. YouGov is an online pollster, and despite online polling having been around for several cycles at this point, it remains less proven and less trusted/accurate methodologically than live phone polling. The same can be said for IVR/Robopollsters. Of course, with each passing year, live phone polling becomes a bit more suspect as well as response rates constantly go down, though so far live phone polls' accuracy seem to usually have not been hurt too much by this.

Anyway, these are not good polls for Dems. The only optimistic take for Dems on them is that maybe they are wrong, and the chances that they are wrong are a bit higher for YouGov than the chances that some other pollster would be wrong.

But hoping that maybe the polls are wrong is never where you want to be.

The better thing to hope (for Dems) is that maybe when we get out of this damn polling desert, we'll get some polls from other pollsters like CNN and FOX that do live phone polls, and hopefully those will be better.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »

This might sound weird but I’m actually feeling a lot better after this poll. I’ve been mr. Doom and gloom lately because I thought Sinema was crashing and burning and the possibility that we didn’t pick up either NV and AZ while losing IN, ND, and MO had me bummed. But NV is looking good and there is now too much smoke to dismiss the possibility Sinema is winning 8-10% of reps rendering the EV #’s useless. Also winning NV and AZ while losing ND, IN, and having either a wash or R +1 come down to MO is fine with me

I think people think they're horrible polls because they were for some reason convinced that Indiana was a likely D race (muh ancient junk polls, muh infallible Nate Silver.)

Likely D would be exaggerated, but Tilt D is (or at least would have been) probably fair. Donnelly has led (by small amounts) in most polls.

The main thing Braun has going for him is IN's partisan lean. I am afraid - and more so after this YouGov poll, that enough of the undecideds break to him for IN to be an R pickup.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 11:45:26 AM »

538's junk model unironically had Indiana at likely D until today, with Heitkamp having a higher chance than Braun, lol. Now it is a mere lean D.

Yeah, that is pretty stupid. I don't even look at the 538 Senate model any more.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies