Update: Sri Lanka's president says will not reinstate ousted PM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:54:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Update: Sri Lanka's president says will not reinstate ousted PM
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update: Sri Lanka's president says will not reinstate ousted PM  (Read 997 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »
« edited: November 25, 2018, 02:27:35 PM by PSOL »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sri-lanka-politics/sri-lankan-president-suspends-parliament-after-firing-prime-minister-idUSKCN1N107E
You must be logged in to read this quote.
There is protest and celebration on the street of Colombo. Seems like there will be a political struggle encroaching on India’s doorway.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 02:13:58 PM »

I think the bigger problem with Rajapaksa is less him being "close to China" and more him being a vicious mass murderer and war criminal.

Just sayin...
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 02:45:07 PM »

I think the bigger problem with Rajapaksa is less him being "close to China" and more him being a vicious mass murderer and war criminal.

Just sayin...
I didn’t know that. Explains the mass unrest formulating though.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:46:13 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sri-lanka-politics-shooting/sri-lanka-crisis-worsens-as-ex-ministers-guard-opens-fire-wounding-three-idUSKCN1N20CF
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 11:35:27 AM »

Rajapaksa calls for snap polls in 1st statement as new PM. Makes sense.  His bloc won 40.5% to 29.4% for  Wickremesinghe bloc to 12.1% for Sirisena blov earlier this year in local elections.  Early elections will extend his power over both Sirisena and Wickremesinghe.

As for Sirisena I guess when it comes to a double cross he is a hard man to beat given what took place in late 2014 and now. 
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »

Rajapaksa calls for snap polls in 1st statement as new PM. Makes sense.  His bloc won 40.5% to 29.4% for  Wickremesinghe bloc to 12.1% for Sirisena blov earlier this year in local elections.  Early elections will extend his power over both Sirisena and Wickremesinghe.

As for Sirisena I guess when it comes to a double cross he is a hard man to beat given what took place in late 2014 and now. 
What occurred with Sirisena?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 12:10:53 PM »

What occurred with Sirisena?

He double crossed Rajapaksa in late 2014 and joined forces with Wickremesinghe and now it is the same in reverse.  And he has an image of a low key low ambition unassuming man.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 06:59:01 PM »

Sirisena dissolves parliment and calls for snap polls as it is clear he did not lure enough defections from Wickremesinghe bloc MPs.
Snipee356
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 10:37:34 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2018, 10:43:36 PM by Snipee356 »

Is there any possibility that Wickremesinghe holds on?

I was so optimistic after Sirisena was elected; now I realize that no Asian country will ever have an acceptable government for a very long time.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 08:06:46 AM »

Wickremesinghe will go the supreme court to saying that the act to dissolve parliament 2 years early is unconstitutional.  In theory a Sirisena-Rajapaksa alliance should win such an election but the flip flop of claiming they have a majority in parliament followed by a bunch of clear moves to bribe Wickremesinghe MP to switch sides which did not work enough to get a majority makes Sirisena-Rajapaksa look like fools.  I think now the election will be neck-to-neck between Sirisena-Rajapaksa and Wickremesinghe bloc.  And do not forget about the Tamil parties which will clearly be for Wickremesinghe.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 10:54:47 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sri-lanka-politics/sri-lanka-showdown-looms-as-new-pm-loses-confidence-vote-idUSKCN1NJ0FF
I suspect a snap election to be called soon.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 10:49:43 AM »
« Edited: November 15, 2018, 10:52:51 AM by PSOL »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/15/shameful-day-sri-lanka-mps-fight-in-parliament-as-power-struggle-deepens
Such an utter cowardice from the leaders in charge, abandoning the action. If this is how they act when Sri Lanka is in a rut, I fear for the citizens there.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 02:30:06 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sri-lanka-politics/sri-lankas-president-says-will-not-reinstate-ousted-pm-idUSKCN1NU0P7
He is singing this tune now when he was silent before. I do hope there is enough pressure for a snap election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies