MI-Mitchell: Stabenow +6
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:33:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Senatorial Election Polls
  MI-Mitchell: Stabenow +6
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MI-Mitchell: Stabenow +6  (Read 3166 times)
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2018, 06:46:33 PM »

Stabenow (D, inc.)   52
James (R)               46

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/MI_8-18_Press_Release_10-26-18.pdf

Isn't Mitchell a Republican pollster? Let me know if it is so I'll put it in the title.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 06:48:14 PM »

Wow, this really has tightened considerably.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 06:53:48 PM »

This is probably a "coming home" effect for Michigan Republicans, though the lack of early voting will make any late momentum in Michigan more apparent (like in 2016 in the Midwest)
DataGuy
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 07:14:57 PM »

I'm still cautious about the race really being this close, but if James does in fact lose by only single digits against a popular incumbent in a Democratic year in a blue-leaning state, that would suggest to me that Michigan is still very much a battleground in 2020.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 07:25:21 PM »

No, Mitchell is just one of those special Michigan pollsters. They had it at +9 three weeks ago and +13 in mid-September.

Stabenow (D, inc.)   52
James (R)               46

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/MI_8-18_Press_Release_10-26-18.pdf

Isn't Mitchell a Republican pollster? Let me know if it is so I'll put it in the title.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 07:25:49 PM »

Mitchell is a Republican-affiliated person iirc
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 08:08:12 PM »

Okay, sure, maybe this race has tightened, but notice that Stabenow is... how should I put it... above 50 percent. If there was a race to be found here, Republicans and Democrats alike would've quickly started to spend here, and they haven't. Sorry to break it to James fans, but not every election is going to go just like 2016.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 08:51:45 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2018, 08:58:56 PM by RussFeingoldWasRobbedk »

Race hasn't tightened! Racist trumpists are not going to vote for a black man. Macomb county that trump flipped? It will vote for Stabenow comfortably. You reap what you sew. You spew racism, your base wont elect black people.
17-18 points
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 09:08:35 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2018, 09:14:10 PM by Lou Barletta's Teeth »

Okay, sure, maybe this race has tightened, but notice that Stabenow is... how should I put it... above 50 percent. If there was a race to be found here, Republicans and Democrats alike would've quickly started to spend here, and they haven't. Sorry to break it to James fans, but not every election is going to go just like 2016.

The RNCC has also shown no interest in investing in James, which suggests they don’t buy the race being close either.

Hopefully when James loses he’ll fade into oblivion like Darryl Glenn and Alan Keyes.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 09:44:41 PM »

lol Stabenow actually does better with blacks (82-18) than Whitmer (80-18).
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 09:52:12 PM »

lol Stabenow actually does better with blacks (82-18) than Whitmer (80-18).

That's within the MOE though.

I don't think 18% of black voters are voting Republican in MI, but that likely is just a combination of the normal MOE (sampling error) and measurement error (people checking the wrong box).
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 10:07:11 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2018, 10:10:43 PM by Garfield County Republicans 4 Candidate Quality »

Sorry to break it to James fans, but not every election is going to go just like 2016.

I didn’t claim that, but it’s certainly not the 15- to 20-point Stabenow wipeout we were told was guaranteed to happen. And the only reason I have it as Likely D is because James is a far stronger candidate than Vukmir or Barletta (which I have as Safe D) and running in a more GOP-friendly state than Hugin (also Safe D), I don’t think he’ll actually win or that there will be a 2016 redux here.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 10:10:35 PM »

Sorry to break it to James fans, but not every election is going to go just like 2016.

I didn’t claim that, but it’s certainly not the 15- to 20-point Stabenow wipeout we were told was guaranteed to happen. And the only reason I have it as Likely D is because James is a far stronger candidate than Vukmir or Barletta (which I have as Safe D) and running in a more GOP-friendly than Hugin (also Safe D), I don’t think he’ll actually win or that there will be a 2016 redux here.

I wasn't saying that you were, I was referring to a very specific poster. While James might be a better candidate, I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference. Maybe it means he loses by 8-9 instead of 12-13, but that's about it.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 10:17:49 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2018, 10:32:21 PM by SN2903 »

4 polls have it at least 7 or under in the last week. It's close to within the MOE right now. Also James will win Macomb County. Oakland Stabenow will likely win. This race will come down to Wayne County and how much of the black vote James can get as I think James will do fairly well in the western part of the state. This race will be closer than the MN or WI senate race. Michigan is turning into a more red state than Minnesota or Wisconsin.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 10:18:54 PM »

4 polls have it at least 7 or under in the last week. It's close to within the MOI right now. Also James will win Macomb County. Oakland Stabenow will likely win. This race will come down to Wayne County and how much of the black vote James can get as I think James will do fairly well in the western part of the state. This race will be closer than the MN or WI senate race. Michigan is turning into a more red state than Minnesota or Wisconsin.

You're really bad at trolling.

Even this poll shows Stabenow is getting 82% of the black vote.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 10:33:37 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2018, 10:36:41 PM by SN2903 »

4 polls have it at least 7 or under in the last week. It's close to within the MOI right now. Also James will win Macomb County. Oakland Stabenow will likely win. This race will come down to Wayne County and how much of the black vote James can get as I think James will do fairly well in the western part of the state. This race will be closer than the MN or WI senate race. Michigan is turning into a more red state than Minnesota or Wisconsin.

You're really bad at trolling.

Even this poll shows Stabenow is getting 82% of the black vote.
The African-American community is turning against the democratic party. They are realizing it's  bunch of yuppie limousine liberals who care nothing about them. Trump is getting them jobs. Democrats only care about gay marriage, global warming and standing up for illegal immigrants. They have no platform other than a far left ideology and identity politics. The democrats used to be for the working class and focused on economics.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 10:39:35 PM »

I wasn't saying that you were, I was referring to a very specific poster. While James might be a better candidate, I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference. Maybe it means he loses by 8-9 instead of 12-13, but that's about it.

I just don’t think Stabenow is the political goddess people are making her out to be or that MI is a deep blue state again, it’s just that she got really lucky with the national environment this year. I’ll stick with my Likely D rating even if people think it’s ridiculous, and I am also a little more cautious than most other posters here, which is why I have ND/MS-Special/TN still all as Toss-ups (hardly Republican hack ratings, but whatever).
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 10:45:14 PM »

I just don’t think Stabenow is the political goddess people are making her out to be or that MI is a deep blue state again, it’s just that she got really lucky with the national environment this year. I’ll stick with my Likely D rating even if people think it’s ridiculous, and I am also a little more cautious than most other posters here, which is why I have ND/MS-Special/TN still all as Toss-ups (hardly Republican hack ratings, but whatever).

Fair enough, that is at least consistent. I don't think she'll win easily because she's a political goddess, rather because if the GCB is anything like D+7-8, a D+1 state won't be especially close, even if Michigan is starting to trend rightward.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 10:47:04 PM »

Stabenow is not liked here in Michigan. I agree that she is riding the anti-Trump wave and so is Whitmer but I still think they can lose. They are def both favored but I do think the last few weeks I have noticed a big increase in GOP enthusiasm. Despite what democrats say RALLIES MATTER. Having 5,000 people at a rally for a guy who was an unknown a few months ago is pretty impressive. James also now has 82 percent name ID in the state. I think there is a possibility that the polls are not picking up his true level of support. I am not buying that the democrat turnout will be big this year I think it will be more than normal but there's a lot of evidence that their enthusiasm has waned after Kavanaugh and with Trump's rising approval rating it has to be souring some democrats from wanting to participate.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 10:53:50 PM »

Stabenow is not liked here in Michigan. I agree that she is riding the anti-Trump wave and so is Whitmer but I still think they can lose. They are def both favored but I do think the last few weeks I have noticed a big increase in GOP enthusiasm. Despite what democrats say RALLIES MATTER. Having 5,000 people at a rally for a guy who was an unknown a few months ago is pretty impressive. James also now has 82 percent name ID in the state. I think there is a possibility that the polls are not picking up his true level of support. I am not buying that the democrat turnout will be big this year I think it will be more than normal but there's a lot of evidence that their enthusiasm has waned after Kavanaugh and with Trump's rising approval rating it has to be souring some democrats from wanting to participate.

I agree that Stabenow is overrated, but high Republican turnout isn’t going to be enough in a state like MI if Independents break heavily for Democrats. And even Trump only won MI by like .2% against one of the least popular Democratic candidates ever, so it makes sense that Democrats would be favored in MI in a more favorable year for their party.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 11:04:08 PM »

The latest poll has James winning with independents I believe and doing real well with 18-29. It is looking like James may have a better chance than Schuette.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2018, 11:11:14 PM »

If that were the case, then Abdul El-Sayed would have creamed Whitmer in the primary. This idea that Kavanaugh hurt Democrats is just plain bullsh**t and it’s actually turning voters against the Republican Party because despite what the GOP echo chamber keeps saying, the vast majority of Americans believe Blasey Ford and opposed Kavanaugh’s confirmation.

Here’s Debbie Stabenow’s map in 2006:

And 2012:

That’s what’s about to happen. Debbie Stabenow is the most well-known politician in this state and she is an entrenched incumbent. She has done nothing to cause her popularity to wane, and in a blue wave year voters are not going to turn out an incumbent Democrat with a high name recognition and approval rating. If her support were actually tanking as you say, then she would have gone negative on him a long time ago. She won’t win every county in the state like Levin used to, but she’s almost to the point of invincibility that Levin enjoyed for his last four terms. And as for the black vote question, Black voters don’t go and vote against their own interests and vote Republican just because the GOP candidate is black. John James won’t get a single African-American vote besides his own.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2018, 11:13:29 PM »

You are truly delusional if you think Kavanaugh helped the democrats. Even MSNBC is saying the GOP got a big boost from it. Americans like winners and democrats aren't winning anything lately. GOP is dominating all the political fights.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2018, 11:26:03 PM »

Please tell us more about how Black voters will vote for a Black man running as a Republican who also ran an ad with a swastika as red meat for the Republican base. Tell us more.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2018, 11:33:37 PM »

You are truly delusional if you think Kavanaugh helped the democrats. Even MSNBC is saying the GOP got a big boost from it. Americans like winners and democrats aren't winning anything lately. GOP is dominating all the political fights.

Most polls since things have calmed down say that the Kavanaugh confirmation has energized Democrats more than Republicans.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies