2020 Generic Ballot / Recruitment / Fundraising / Ratings Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 10:52:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 Generic Ballot / Recruitment / Fundraising / Ratings Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 80
Author Topic: 2020 Generic Ballot / Recruitment / Fundraising / Ratings Megathread  (Read 170072 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: July 29, 2019, 01:11:26 PM »

Another House recruit: Sara Hart Weir (R) officially in against Rep. Sharice Davids (D) in KS-03

Powerful statement decrying # of GOP women in Congress and defending those with preexisting conditions. Trying to present herself as the moderate independent voice relative to Sharice David’s, whom she called a “rubber yes stamp for Pelosi.”

Imagine using someone with Down syndrome as a prop for launching your campaign and having no shame about it
She was the CEO of the National Down Syndrome Society and has devoted her life to helping people with Down Syndrome. A very noble cause, I don't see an issue with it.

I would rate her as a pretty strong recruit, happy to see two strong women vying for the GOP nomination. I'd still rate the seat as Lean D with Trump on the ballot, but I think Weir will have a chance, especially if she gets a lot of outside support and $$$, which is likely. Davids has played it very safe in Congress, almost too safe, and Republicans are already painting her as a do-nothing representative. She is very scripted and we still don't know where she stands on a lot of issues because she rarely talks to the media or does events that aren't pre-planned.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1526 on: July 29, 2019, 01:25:16 PM »

Rob Bishop (R-UT) to retire after this term.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1527 on: July 29, 2019, 02:59:47 PM »

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1528 on: July 29, 2019, 03:01:49 PM »

Only 2 of them hadn't raised double their R opponent: Cisneros (CA-39) and Horn (OK-5).
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1529 on: July 29, 2019, 03:22:08 PM »

TX-6: Rep. Ron Wright has lung cancer, but plans to run for re-election anyway: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/arlington/article233254201.html
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1530 on: July 29, 2019, 04:35:54 PM »

Only 2 of them hadn't raised double their R opponent: Cisneros (CA-39) and Horn (OK-5).
Isn't this at least somewhat misleading? Challengers haven't been in the race as long as their incumbents.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1531 on: July 29, 2019, 04:40:29 PM »

Isn't this at least somewhat misleading? Challengers haven't been in the race as long as their incumbents.

Yeah I am pretty sure  Democrats didn't hit their big numbers in the 18 cycle until like January 18.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1532 on: July 29, 2019, 05:24:24 PM »

He announced his retirement two years ago.

Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1533 on: July 29, 2019, 06:22:03 PM »

It’s still a lot of money on the D side, especially in the 2nd quarter of an off-year. I cant find exact figures rn but most of these hauls are more than what R incumbents were bringing in in Q2 of 2017. At the very least it shows that the Democrats’ small dollar infrastructure is still working in high gear.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1534 on: July 29, 2019, 06:45:01 PM »

It’s still a lot of money on the D side, especially in the 2nd quarter of an off-year. I cant find exact figures rn but most of these hauls are more than what R incumbents were bringing in in Q2 of 2017. At the very least it shows that the Democrats’ small dollar infrastructure is still working in high gear.

These totals are higher than what most vulnerable House Republicans were bringing in during Q2 2018. But yeah, we’ll get a better comparison of challengers to incumbents when Q3 numbers are posted, since a lot of challengers will have been in a whole quarter by then on both sides.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #1535 on: July 29, 2019, 07:56:53 PM »

In addition, 2018 candidate Andrew Learned has dropped out and will likely run for Hattersley's highly competitive Obama-Trump seat (ironically represented by Spano).

Solid recruits for both seats.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1536 on: July 30, 2019, 06:50:40 PM »

Big money from NRCC.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1537 on: July 30, 2019, 06:57:30 PM »

Big money from NRCC.

I wanna see them internals.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1538 on: July 31, 2019, 08:30:41 AM »

New Texas Republican Voter Registration Pac raises almost $10 million in first quarter to keep Texas red. Ross Perot Jr. is among a handful of million dollar donors.

https://t.co/wuFTm5opEB
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1539 on: July 31, 2019, 01:08:08 PM »

I thought voter registration drives were basically illegal in Texas?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1540 on: July 31, 2019, 01:09:54 PM »

I thought voter registration drives were basically illegal in Texas?

They will make them legal but only if they take place in rural diners.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1541 on: July 31, 2019, 01:16:46 PM »

New Texas Republican Voter Registration Pac raises almost $10 million in first quarter to keep Texas red. Ross Perot Jr. is among a handful of million dollar donors.

I can’t imagine this will be the magic bullet that will save them that they seem to think it is
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1542 on: July 31, 2019, 03:07:39 PM »

I can’t imagine this will be the magic bullet that will save them that they seem to think it is

It is just another piece of evidence that the Texas GOP is taking nothing for granted... and 10 million to register new Republicans will net them a lot of voters.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1543 on: July 31, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »

It is just another piece of evidence that the Texas GOP is taking nothing for granted... and 10 million to register new Republicans will net them a lot of voters.

You’re assuming there’s a lot more reliable turnout Republican votes to be had in Texas. I think that’s a faulty assumption. If they were voters Republicans could rely on to turnout, they’d probably already be registered to begin with.

But yes. I suppose it’s shows the Texas GOP isn’t completely oblivious to their impending demographic doom
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1544 on: July 31, 2019, 06:58:52 PM »

Most unregistered people are poor and minorities. Not exactly the strongest GOP demographics.
Unless of course they are going to do their drives at country clubs and NRA meetings.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1545 on: July 31, 2019, 08:41:22 PM »

Ironically, registering the same number of voters as in, say, California, would be more expensive in Texas because of onerous registration rules maintained by Republicans specifically to keep Democrats from fully maximizing their base:

www.statesman.com/news/20130124/us-supreme-court-allows-texas-voter-registration-laws-to-remain-in-effect

The provisions at issue include those that:

prohibit completed voter applications from being mailed to county offices
prohibit deputy voter registrars from registering voters in counties in which they aren’t registered;
prohibit the photocopying of voter registration cards;
require deputy voter registrars to be Texas residents;
and prohibit a person engaged in third-party registration from being compensated based upon a quota.

Many of those restrictions do not serve any worthwhile purpose, save for maybe the last, if you believe fraud is a big enough issue.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1546 on: August 01, 2019, 10:46:28 AM »

Same she-devil trying to take the night away from Donna smh

Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1547 on: August 01, 2019, 10:50:45 AM »

Salazar is going to have a much tougher time in a presidential electorate.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1548 on: August 01, 2019, 10:51:44 AM »

Likely D, close to Safe.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp