European Court of Human Rights: Prophet Muhammad not a pedophile
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:39:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Court of Human Rights: Prophet Muhammad not a pedophile
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: European Court of Human Rights: Prophet Muhammad not a pedophile  (Read 2320 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2018, 11:15:27 AM »

The European Court of Human Rights says an Austrian woman's conviction for calling the prophet of Islam a pedophile didn't breach her freedom of speech.

The Strasbourg-based ECHR ruled Thursday that Austrian courts had "carefully balanced her right to freedom of expression with the right of others to have their religious feelings protected."

The woman in her late 40s, identified only as E.S., claimed during two public seminars in 2009 that the Prophet Muhammad's marriage to a 6-year old girl was akin to "pedophilia."

A Vienna court convicted her in 2011 of disparaging religious doctrines, ordering her to pay a 480-euro ($547) fine, plus costs. The ruling was later upheld by an Austrian appeals court.

The ECHR said the Austrian court's decision "served the legitimate aim of preserving religious peace."

https://www.kansas.com/news/nation-world/article220598335.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 11:17:47 AM »

Would be interesting to know what really happened 1400 years ago and if he was really married to a 6-year old girl and if that girl really wanted to marry him voluntarily ...

The ruling might be correct to "preserve religious peace" (because Muslims would go nuts if the court ruled otherwise), but the doubt remains.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »

Would be interesting to know what really happened 1400 years ago and if he was really married to a 6-year old girl and if that girl really wanted to marry him voluntarily ...

The ruling might be correct to "preserve religious peace" (because Muslims would go nuts if the court ruled otherwise), but the doubt remains.
There actually are issues with it being in a Hadith, along with differing timelines by scholars going by fragmented pieces. Did they use any texts or other analysis in their verdict.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 11:32:12 AM »

There actually are issues with it being in a Hadith, along with differing timelines by scholars going by fragmented pieces. Did they use any texts or other analysis in their verdict.

http://hudoc.echr.coe.int/eng-press?i=003-6234980-8105265
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 12:10:58 PM »

http://hudoc.echr.coe.int/eng-press?i=003-6234980-8105265
I may need the statements in court. Seems like this could be appealed for a redo though. How would one go about this process.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 05:18:11 PM »

It's amazing how much Europe sucks sometimes.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 05:37:47 PM »

So glad I live in a free country!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 06:09:54 PM »

Elon Musk says he would have called him a pedophile for not wanting to play with his kid-sized submarine.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 09:24:04 PM »

Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 10:14:31 AM »

The European legal system is a joke part 487239
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 10:43:39 AM »

The European legal system is a joke part 487239

It's not necessarily the legal system. It's certain judges or people, who are already intimidated by the increasing presence of extremist Islam that has spread throughout Europe over the past 2 decades and who threatens our lifestyle and - if the names of the judges are published - even themselves.

We have long enough tolerated these extremist Muslim creatures to immigrate into our countries, so that they can force their "way of life" on us. This needs to end now. And it would be better if the judges would also follow this example. It's the extremist Muslim creatures and Nazis who have to follow our way of life or be combated or deported, not the other way around.

Whenever I hear the words "sentenced because of blasphemy" or "to protect religious peace", I could vomit, because it shows that our societies are moving backwards again to times we do not want to see anymore (extremist Islam => middle ages). Religious extremism is a disease that needs to be vigorously combated.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 03:45:53 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2018, 03:50:15 PM by Kalwejt »

Terrible decision. Aside of the obvious free speech issue, why should religious feelings enjoy special protection over other systems of beliefs?

Literally the only circumstance under which a "speech" should be prosecuted is a direct incitement to violence. This is hardly a case here.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 06:53:52 PM »

Stupid decision.  People should have the right to insult any religious sensibilities. 

I could invent my own religion, and say I worship a watermelon, and claim that anyone who insults that watermelon is religiously persecuting me.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 07:10:05 PM »

Stupid decision.  People should have the right to insult any religious sensibilities. 

I could invent my own religion, and say I worship a watermelon, and claim that anyone who insults that watermelon is religiously persecuting me.

That's what L. Ron Hubbard did, except he made tons of money of this.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 07:38:16 PM »

And they wonder why people dislike the EU
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 10:55:43 PM »

So can anyone give a brief rundown of the ECHR, is it possible to appeal a verdict?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 09:33:04 AM »

Many European countries had such laws before the EU was even a thing.

Also, the ECHR is not a EU institution.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »

Funny how people like to solely portray Aisha as a victim rather than emphasizing her as an extremely powerful woman of her era, right down to being a woman general personally leading an army into battle in the First Fitna against the forces of Ali (her son-in-law).  I very much doubt that Aisha's army at the Battle of the Camel regarded her as a pitiful victim, especially because her claim to power was her status as the Prophet's widow.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 12:28:50 PM »

Funny how people like to solely portray Aisha as a victim rather than emphasizing her as an extremely powerful woman of her era, right down to being a woman general personally leading an army into battle in the First Fitna against the forces of Ali (her son-in-law).  I very much doubt that Aisha's army at the Battle of the Camel regarded her as a pitiful victim, especially because her claim to power was her status as the Prophet's widow.

It's not a matter of whether she was a victim, but whether Muhammed had sex with underage girls. Aisha's status later in life has nothing to do with that. The issue isn't about her, but about him.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 12:49:41 PM »

So, you try to divert from the issue of possible pedophelia by Mohammed with her - the 6-year old child - to saying she became a chauvinist later on ? That doesn't improve your portrayal of Mohammed or Islam or her (but I agree that it's not about her, because she's the victim and he's the likely perpetrator).

Also, it shows that Islam (like Catholicism) has a deep problem with (possible) and actual pedophiles and a backwards, violent past (and present). Religion is dangerous and it would be better if people got rid of it.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 01:13:29 PM »

So can anyone give a brief rundown of the ECHR, is it possible to appeal a verdict?
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2018, 02:43:22 PM »

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 04:44:49 PM »

So glad I live in a democracy though
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2018, 04:54:31 PM »

Funny how people like to solely portray Aisha as a victim rather than emphasizing her as an extremely powerful woman of her era, right down to being a woman general personally leading an army into battle in the First Fitna against the forces of Ali (her son-in-law).  I very much doubt that Aisha's army at the Battle of the Camel regarded her as a pitiful victim, especially because her claim to power was her status as the Prophet's widow.

So, you try to divert from the issue of possible pedophelia by Mohammed with her - the 6-year old child - to saying she became a chauvinist later on ? That doesn't improve your portrayal of Mohammed or Islam or her (but I agree that it's not about her, because she's the victim and he's the likely perpetrator).

Also, it shows that Islam (like Catholicism) has a deep problem with (possible) and actual pedophiles and a backwards, violent past (and present). Religion is dangerous and it would be better if people got rid of it.

I'm not "diverting" from the issue. I'm pointing out that Aisha is a figure of major historical importance and a powerful general and political leader in her own right, but the story of Aisha as one of the major political leaders of early Islam and massively involved in the struggles of the early caliphate and one of the main conduits of the legacy of the Prophet get conveniently ignored by people with a vested interest in pushing the idea that Islam is inherently sexist and denies women power and authority in society. Aisha's name wasn't even mentioned in this thread prior to my post, let alone her career, so you end up with this skewed story that erases the life and career of a woman who might well have been the most politically powerful woman alive on Earth during her heyday to a nameless footnote in Muhammad's career, as Muhammad's child bride.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies