MO-SEN: Hawley +7 in internal, McCaskill DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:43:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Senatorial Election Polls
  MO-SEN: Hawley +7 in internal, McCaskill DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMED
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MO-SEN: Hawley +7 in internal, McCaskill DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMED  (Read 2320 times)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2018, 11:03:57 AM »

Hawley 49
McCaskill 42

OnMessage (R) internal

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/claire-mccaskill-on-the-ropes-per-fresh-poll-from-josh-hawley

538 House effect adjusts it to Hawley +1.2
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 11:06:04 AM »

Obviously exaggerated, but this much of a lead in an internal is enough to suggest that Hawley is slightly ahead.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 11:07:02 AM »
« Edited: October 24, 2018, 11:10:06 AM by Zaybay »

Really wish I had a good old poll of this race that wasnt an R internal, because the last 2-3 polls have been. All I can gleam is that McCaskill is slightly down in a completely tossup race, but I have no idea on the margins, or anything.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 11:07:24 AM »

Exaggerated, but it should be obvious to everyone that McCaskill is in big trouble.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 11:10:22 AM »

Exaggerated, but it should be obvious to everyone that McCaskill is in big trouble.

Yeah, she would be Blanched in a Clinton midterm.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 11:11:12 AM »

I wouldn’t be surprised by any result from Hawley +2 to McCaskill +2
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 11:11:29 AM »

I wonder which I believe, all the public polling which shows a tied race, or an internal from the same people who show Scott up by a similar margin in Florida.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 11:21:21 AM »

Didn't we used to have an internal megathread back in 2014/2016? I guess it's pointless now since it's so late, but...why don't we have one this year?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 11:28:08 AM »

She probably is unironically doomed. We haven’t seen a lead from her in over a month

Remington is a pretty good pollster in MO and their numbers haven't budged at all since July. Every poll they've had has Hawley up 1-2 points. How is that "doomed?"
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 11:35:36 AM »

She probably is unironically doomed. We haven’t seen a lead from her in over a month

Remington is a pretty good pollster in MO and their numbers haven't budged at all since July. Every poll they've had has Hawley up 1-2 points. How is that "doomed?"

Right. It’ll all - bold statement - come down to a turnout game, I think. Will be super close either way
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 11:44:14 AM »

I think the undecideds are probably racist hicks who don’t think Hawley is racist enough. But really I’m just setting my expectations of voters exceedingly low until they prove me wrong

LOL, I mean it's Missouri, so that's a plausible theory I guess...
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 11:55:21 AM »

Lean R.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »

Adds to my theory that Hawley is up 2 to 3 with most of the undecideds being conservative leaning
History505
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 11:59:28 AM »

This is going to be one of those races that come down to the wire.
MycroftCZ

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »

Hawley's got the advantage right now but this is an internal and McCaskill's a good closer. Still think AirClaire pulls this one out.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 12:15:20 PM »

Hawley's got the advantage right now but this is an internal and McCaskill's a good closer. Still think AirClaire pulls this one out.

What suggests McCaskill is a closer? The only outfit to poll the 2012 race twice this late was PPP, and they had her lead shrinking.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 12:17:02 PM »

What suggests McCaskill is a closer? The only outfit to poll the 2012 race twice this late was PPP, and they had her lead shrinking.
McCaskill seems to always be vulnerable, but closes the deal somehow. With that said, this race still remains a tossup, perhaps slight edge to Hawley, which can be easily overcome.
DataGuy
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 12:20:01 PM »

I would be surprised of Hawley wins by that much, but right now my rating for this race would be Tilt R. This pollster does have a historical Republican bias of 1.1%, so I would adjust it down to Hawley +6.

Nonetheless, I have heard reports that Hawley's internals are very consistently showing him in the lead, and most publicly released polls in the last month have corroborated that. Although it may very well be that campaigns tend only release their best internals, thus leading to some apparent bias, I think it's wrong to assume that all internals inherently favor the candidate paying for them. After all, the candidate more than anyone else has the most need for an accurate picture of the race. If they're being fed biased and rose-tinted polls, they're only harming themselves.

My guess at this moment is somewhere around Hawley +2.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 12:22:19 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2018, 12:29:43 PM by AMB1996 »

McCaskill seems to always be vulnerable, but closes the deal somehow. With that said, this race still remains a tossup, perhaps slight edge to Hawley, which can be easily overcome.

That doesn't make her a closer; it just makes her the person who got to run against Todd Akin.

Additional info: In 2004, it was also around this time that she began to slip further behind Blunt. The only race where she clearly expanded her polling advantage from this point forward was 2006, and that could be attributed to the national wave for Democrats. She still underperformed most of the late polling in that race.

I would be surprised of Hawley wins by that much, but right now my rating for this race would be Tilt R. This pollster does have a historical Republican bias of 1.1%, so I would adjust it down to Hawley +6.

Nonetheless, I have heard reports that Hawley's internals are very consistently showing him in the lead, and most publicly released polls in the last month have corroborated that. Although it may very well be that campaigns tend only release their best internals, thus leading to some apparent bias, I think it's wrong to assume that all internals inherently favor the candidate paying for them. After all, the candidate more than anyone else has the most need for an accurate picture of the race. If they're being fed biased and rose-tinted polls, they're only harming themselves.

The issue isn't that the polls are inaccurate, just that they might be withholding polls to influence the race.
swf541

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 12:26:00 PM »

Literally one of the worst internal posters of this year (what a 13 point swing difference in Florida between this firm and reputable public polling) throw this in the trash and pray we get a decent pollster
DataGuy
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 12:50:00 PM »

That doesn't make her a closer; it just makes her the person who got to run against Todd Akin.

Additional info: In 2004, it was also around this time that she began to slip further behind Blunt. The only race where she clearly expanded her polling advantage from this point forward was 2006, and that could be attributed to the national wave for Democrats. She still underperformed most of the late polling in that race.

The issue isn't that the polls are inaccurate, just that they might be withholding polls to influence the race.

That's pretty much what I said: "Although it may very well be that campaigns tend only release their best internals, thus leading to some apparent bias ..."

All campaigns have a tendency to publicize the internals that show them with the best numbers, which can lead to a apparent bias relative to the final results. But even though this particular poll might be exaggerated slightly, everything I've heard indicates that Hawley is clearly leading the polls.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 01:01:07 PM »

Not too reputable. Tossup remains a tossup. But I'd be more surprised if McCaskill wins than if Hawley wins.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2018, 01:21:18 PM »

MO Tossup -> Lean R, based on demographics, etc.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 02:55:30 PM »

It's more tilt rep I guess
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 04:34:02 PM »

omg.. calm down everyone.

Even I do not believe this poll. I believe Hawley will win by a hair but there is no doubt McCaskill is in a very dicey situation. She is not popular and Democrats may have been better off if she retired.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies